Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I need to get a show of hands here on who would be interested in a pair of new Ractive seats like the ones pictured below. Each seat comes with a slider and all hardware needed to mount in any vehicle.

Price will be $399 per pair with sliders and hardware. Shipping will be extra. NY residents add tax.

Please let me know if you're interested in a pair and in what color. Yellow, Red, Blue, or Black.

I'd like to get an idea of how many serious buyers I can get here. If it looks like a decent number of people want a pair, I will order a pair for inventory here and do a test-fit in my Mystique so I can provide my buyers with a "how-to".

If you are confident that you can install them in your car, you don't have to wait. The price applies to any member here on CEG immediately. If you have any doubts on your installation ability, you may want to just let me know you are interested and wait for me to make the "how to".

You can reach me at 914-204-7263 or email me at dean@deanjoyce.com
i might be interested. how do these compare quality wise to the other more popular racing seats?
Price is right, how is the quality?
Those are nice. What do they weigh?
So far, any Ractive products that I have sold/installed, I have found to be good quality. However, I have not sold or sat in their seats yet. In the pictures they look like they are constructed well and durable, yet I have a feeling they might not weigh much less than an oem seat.

Most of you who know me know that I'm strict when it comes to quality and I stand behind the products that I sell. I think what I'll do is order a pair of these, weigh them, and install them in my Mystique so that I can test the fit. In the meantime, like I said in the first post, let me know if you'd be interested in a set if the quality/weight/price is good.
like white on rice baby! depending on when the money is due. lots of bills coming up....mid'late january would be best....BLUE!
I will if there is a how to and you can get the money mid-late Jan.
Just wanted to make a note about the WEIGHT OF THE SEATS. According to a tech at Ractive, the seats weigh about 37 pounds each. So, my guess was correct above when I said they're probably about the same as an oem seat, just nicer looking and probably more comfy.
A couple things...
These do recline, correct?...
Is it possible to get matching bulk fabric to cover the rears & door panel inserts?...
& I read somewhere on here that there will be retractable belts available soon...do these mount like factory & are they compatable w/ this seat model?
THX
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
A couple things...
These do recline, correct?...
Is it possible to get matching bulk fabric to cover the rears & door panel inserts?...
& I read somewhere on here that there will be retractable belts available soon...do these mount like factory & are they compatable w/ this seat model?
THX

--These seat are reclineable via a lever.

--Ractive does not sell matching material like Corbeau does, and unfortunately the two companies differ in their shades of each color. The best thing to do would be to take the seats to a local trim shop and they should have plenty of color choices to choose fabric from. If I sell some seats locally, I will match material up to them, but until that happens, matching them would be up to the buyer.

--I do sell Corbeau retractable harness belts. They would be compatible with these seats and are available in a 3pt double release design with either bolt-in or snap-in mounting points. The only problem with the retractable cam is that it only works when mounted vertically. This means that in a Contour it wouldn't work effectively unless you had a crossbar behind your seats or you are willing to mount them behind your rear seat and cut a slot in your rear deck. I would suggest just using a 3pt double realease style harness with these seats in a 4dr vehicle.
I am in as long as the money isnt due til mid/late jan. that would work perfect for me. I am debating between black and blue
I think I could do it mid/late Jan.

Anybody that wants opinions on seats check out last months Sport Compact Car.
SCC says they weight 32.8 lbs. They rate them pretty good....but little back support.
LocoZ... thanks for posting the info, thats good to have. and hopefully they are 32 pounds rather than 37.
How much will the shipping cost?
Originally posted by LoCoZ:
How much will the shipping cost?

I would be drop-shipping them to you from my distributor in PA since they get better shipping rates than I do. I'm going to estimate that shipping will be about $45 east of the Mississippi and maybe $65 or so west of the Mississippi.
Thanks for this group buy. However I am still a little confused about the seat belts. Can you use the stock one? What do you mean by the one you suggest and how much extra is it?
Originally posted by skrilla187:
Thanks for this group buy. However I am still a little confused about the seat belts. Can you use the stock one? What do you mean by the one you suggest and how much extra is it?

Can't use the stock belts....your stock belts mount to the stock seats.
Thanks. Looks like I will be putting neons where the belt is then.

Currently I can not say if there's a way to mount the stock seatbelt receiver to the side of the seats. I know that you can with the Corbeau's because their brackets have a spot to mount the stock belt receiver, but this is one reason why I need to do a Ractive installation, to figure out these little things.

As far as the 3pt dbl release Corbeau belts, I can sell them for $65 each + shipping. (msrp $79). The 3rd point can mount to your c-pillar or to where the lower lap belts come out of your rear seat.
Thanks. Looks like I will be putting neons where the belt is then.

i carry neons too lol. anyway, for a really nice effect, i mounted a neon license plate frame up under each seat. it's a very clean and secure mount with the Corbeau setup, I'll let you all know how it is with the Ractive's.
so is there anyway to get a good deal if we bought the seats and the racing harness cause I am going to buy two of each. I am looking at about 600 total with all 4 peices including shipping
Originally posted by Big Poppa:
so is there anyway to get a good deal if we bought the seats and the racing harness cause I am going to buy two of each. I am looking at about 600 total with all 4 peices including shipping

i can't go any lower than the prices i have posted. I see that you're in tulsa, so shipping should be pretty reasonable for the seats, probably about $50. The belts would be sent to you straight from Corbeau, and shipping for them would be about $25.
so about $605. do you know when you will be doing the test fit. I am not really wanting to buy the racing harness's when I buy the seats, so if the stock reciever will mount to the seat then it will be just that much better. I am not really into driving around with out a seat belt on. its against the law here and I just dont feel safe with out it on
I'm interested, but i'd like to wait until you have a chance to mount them in your car.
I am ordering a set now and I should be doing a test fitting next weekend (December 13/14). I will document the entire installation, maybe even film it so that everyone can buy with confidence.
Posted By: R_G Re: Ractive Racing Seats $399/pair with mounts! - 12/05/03 04:28 AM
Originally posted by DeanJoyce.com:
anyway, for a really nice effect, i mounted a neon license plate frame up under each seat. it's a very clean and secure mount with the Corbeau setup,

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR U never told me about that! If you did it would proly held Bud back for another 3 hrs
Posted By: R_G Re: Ractive Racing Seats $399/pair with mounts! - 12/05/03 04:30 AM

Hector? Hello?

Depends on the seat bracket. With corbeau seat brackets, stock belt can be used. With Ractive,, who knows. Though probably could add something to use the stock belts.
I was thinking about getting the blue with my tan interior but I wanted to get black carpet to. hey dean what did you pay for your carpet in your tour. maybe we could have a GB for new carpet
So far, any Ractive products that I have sold/installed, I have found to be good quality. However, I have not sold or sat in their seats yet. In the pictures they look like they are constructed well and durable, yet I have a feeling they might not weigh much less than an oem seat.

Most of you who know me know that I'm strict when it comes to quality and I stand behind the products that I sell. I think what I'll do is order a pair of these, weigh them, and install them in my Mystique so that I can test the fit. In the meantime, like I said in the first post, let me know if you'd be interested in a set if the quality/weight/price is good.

just in my personal opinion, i dont like these seats at all, i was gonna buy them a few months back when i had my civic cuz i liked how they looked, and the price i got was good too, $400 for the pair, but looks can be deceiving. they had them out on display and i sat in one and i didnt like how they felt at all, way too stiff and fabric not so comfortable. but i guess if ur just going for a nice look, then this is the way to go, how can u beat that price. but if you're really looking for high quality, comfortable seats then dont bother with ractive. i think ractive has really good quality products because thats almost the only brand i used on my civic, and i was very impressed with all of it, but for seats, just didnt quite cut it for me

P.S. my friend just bought them for his civic, and he doesnt even really like them, he just wanted them for looks since the car is mostly for show
The carpets are not expensive at all. you can get them for like $130ish from 1aauto.com. Installation is time consuming, figure about 2hrs to get everything right, plus the time it takes to take all your original stuff out.

I ordered a pair of black Ractive's today. We're going to install them in my neice's (amanda95se) contour and do a "how-to" on the installation. We'll also work on a way that'll allow useage of the stock belts for those of you who don't want to use a harness every day.
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

just in my personal opinion, i dont like these seats at all, i was gonna buy them a few months back when i had my civic cuz i liked how they looked, and the price i got was good too, $400 for the pair, but looks can be deceiving. they had them out on display and i sat in one and i didnt like how they felt at all, way too stiff and fabric not so comfortable. but i guess if ur just going for a nice look, then this is the way to go, how can u beat that price. but if you're really looking for high quality, comfortable seats then dont bother with ractive. i think ractive has really good quality products because thats almost the only brand i used on my civic, and i was very impressed with all of it, but for seats, just didnt quite cut it for me

P.S. my friend just bought them for his civic, and he doesnt even really like them, he just wanted them for looks since the car is mostly for show

This is why I ordered a set, to test them out for comfort as well as fit in a Contour. I am confident with my Corbeau and Sparco line of seats because they are definately of good quality, but we shall see how these Ractive's are and if they need a little more back support like the magazine was hinting, then maybe something as simple as an inflateable lumbar would fix the problem.
This is why I ordered a set, to test them out for comfort as well as fit in a Contour. I am confident with my Corbeau and Sparco line of seats because they are definately of good quality, but we shall see how these Ractive's are and if they need a little more back support like the magazine was hinting, then maybe something as simple as an inflateable lumbar would fix the problem.

yeah, the bottom of the seat itself is a little stiff but not bad at all, its the back that was driving me nuts. the back is too narrow and it makes ur shoulders hit the sides of the seats. (maybe its just me)
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR U never told me about that! If you did it would proly held Bud back for another 3 hrs

Don't worry RG, when we take care of you ebrake boot, we'll run some neons to under your seats for ya. i would imagine you'd like some blue ones?
Posted By: R_G Re: Ractive Racing Seats $399/pair with mounts! - 12/05/03 10:17 AM
Blue all the way. This kid in my school just sold me 3 Ractive blue gauges he got for his Integra right b4 he totaled it. I got 3 of 'em for like $80 - and guess what - all are blue
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:
Blue all the way. This kid in my school just sold me 3 Ractive blue gauges he got for his Integra right b4 he totaled it. I got 3 of 'em for like $80 - and guess what - all are blue

thats an awesome deal! hey find out what year his integra was... i may want the motor, or if it was a rear end crash i'll just take the whole front clip. please find out:) i need a 1.8 Ls motor realllllllllllllly bad and have the $ for it.
man i cant wait til next summer
ok, just to update everyone that might be interested in a set of these seats. i have tested out the passenger seat and so far so good. i've had about 5 different people sit in these seats and the only thing negative that 2 of them said was that the back is lacking lower back support. rather than curving in to contour the the lower spine, its rather flat. also, the shoulder bolsters stick out forward a bit more than most other seats and may press into your triceps a little depending on your height.

as far as mounting them: the corbeau seat mounts can be used, however, corbeau will not honor any warrantee if their brackets are used in conjunction with any other brand seats.

SOLUTION: I am going to produce a line of seat mounts for the Contours/Mystiques. These mounts will offer quite a bit of "adjustability" so you can "fine tune" the position of your seat not only by sliding it forward and backward, but also from left to right (left to right is only adjustable with tools).

CORRECTION TO ORIGINAL POST: The $399 price is for a pair of Ractive seats WITH sliders. To mount these seats securely into your contour/mystique, you'll need to purchase the mounts. I should have a set finished and installed in my mystique with pictures and a "how-to" by new years. just wanted to keep you updated. next update will be 1-1-04.
Sweet. Can those little air bags be used in the seats for lower back support??

Also, what is the material and cushioning used like compared to the more expensive seats?

Sounding good so far
these seats dont have a quickly removeable lumbar cover like some of the corbeau's, but you could always bring them to a local trim shop and pad the lumbar or add the inflateable one. i might experiment with that, but that wont be soon.

as far as the material... the cloth is very similar to the more expensive seats, and the foam seems firm but soft enough for comfort.

i'll be adding my review to my site soon.
I'm pretty much sold on them now
© CEG Archives