Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 01:49 PM
This is a MAD Performance Products Group Buy!!!!

There is enough interest in the exhaust to warrant running this buy. The price is $595 + $30 for shipping! There are only a few units available so this will be a first come first serve buy. Interested parties: Please post here in the group buy and I will send you payment instructions via PM. Payments accepted are credit card or money order. If you choose to pay by card, your card WILL NOT be charged until the exhaust ships, garanteed! This buy is scheduled to run 3 weeks or until supplies are exhausted (Pun intended). Thanks for looking!

Feel free to post any questions pertaining to the buy itself.
Posted By: Cobra_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 04:39 PM
Ok, I'm in as I said I was. Send me some contact info please!! Thanks for setting this up!
Posted By: baco99 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 04:49 PM
is this better than the Bosal system offered by BAT?

Posted By: outkast Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 05:05 PM
borla okay!I have that system...bosal sounds better
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 05:25 PM
Originally posted by crazy3contours:

Sorry, I've heard both in person and the Borla sounds better - it just purrs.
Posted By: Cobra_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 05:43 PM
I've heard the Borla on two Cougars and 2 SVT's and I love it. I like the quality that Borla is.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 06:30 PM
CobraR- you have a PM.

Another testament to borla's quality is that MOPAR chose Borla to make their SRT catback. All MOPAR Performance SRT parts are top quality and the borla is no different. I am completely satisfied with my catback and am confident that it's at the top of the spectrum.
Posted By: KnuKonceptz_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 06:48 PM
Borla + MSDS Headers = Sweet Sounding Exhaust note. Had mine for almost two years and love the way it sounds. The quality of the product is also very good.
Posted By: Cobra_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 07:42 PM
MSDS is next baby!!!
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 07:49 PM
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:
Originally posted by crazy3contours:

Sorry, I've heard both in person and the Borla sounds better - it just purrs.

I'd have to agree.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 07:50 PM
How wide is the tubing? 2.25inches? And how about # of mufflers and resonators? (I'm assuming 2 and 1?)

ANd is it louder than the bassani or is it quieter? This is about $60 cheaper than available, so it's a good GB price guys. . .

Suneil
Posted By: ibjamn Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
How wide is the tubing? 2.25inches? And how about # of mufflers and resonators? (I'm assuming 2 and 1?)

ANd is it louder than the bassani or is it quieter? This is about $60 cheaper than available, so it's a good GB price guys. . .

Suneil

Those are almost the same questions I was going to ask.....
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 08:26 PM

Suneil

I want to know how is sounds compared to a stock SVT with a Magnaflow.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 08:29 PM

Suneil

Not sure about size...

IIRC the Borla is 2 mufflers and 1 resonator.

It is much quieter than the Bassani, even with the resonator welded in.

The Bassani is loud and screams. The Borla purrs.
Posted By: Cobra_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 08:40 PM
ATL-SVT, PM back at ya!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 08:54 PM
I think the Bosal doesn't sound good at all. I actually got an email from someone wanting to go to stock and wanted to swap with my SVT system. Still didn't do it. Borla sounds so nice I think. Deep and a good quality sound.
Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 10:46 PM
I'm in!
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/17/03 10:59 PM
IIRC, the Borla is 2.5", splitting off into 2.25" at the Y.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 12:22 AM
Originally posted by ATL-SVT:
Another testament to borla's quality is that MOPAR chose Borla to make their SRT catback. All MOPAR Performance SRT parts are top quality and the borla is no different. I am completely satisfied with my catback and am confident that it's at the top of the spectrum.

Ain't NO CAR if it ain't MOPAR!!! WOOOWEEE!!!
Posted By: mbRentalEnvoy Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 12:27 AM
I wish I had the money

But ATL is good people... he'll treat you right!
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 12:47 AM
Originally posted by TommySVT:

I want to know how is sounds compared to a stock SVT with a Magnaflow.

Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 01:44 AM
ALT-SVT - waiting for payment instructions.

99 red SVT
Posted By: bambam4501 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 06:03 AM
Im in!! Please send payment instructions!!!
Posted By: rmcd79_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 06:21 AM
I'm in if there are still some to be had.
Posted By: KnuKonceptz_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 07:49 AM
The Borla is a deeper sound, not as raspy. At WOT it does sound sweet. I have not heard a Bassani/MSDS combo, but the Borla got a bit louder with the headers. IIRC some one had the setup (MSDS/Bassani) and it was quite loud
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 01:37 PM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:

Ain't NO CAR if it ain't MOPAR!!! WOOOWEEE!!!

Lmao!

Thanks for the kind words mbSVT!
Everybody else who said "I'm in"- you have pm's. Thanks all There are still a few more units left!
Posted By: SVTFORME2_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 02:22 PM
I would have to agree with Pete....I have the Bosal, but I think Jessman's Borla sounds better than mine . If you like the high pitch sound its okay, but if you like the deep sound, Borla is the one. With that said, anybody in the Maryland area want to by my Bosal so that I can afford the Borla?
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 03:48 PM
I'm in. PM me.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/18/03 04:47 PM
Pm'ed you back wa2tuff.
Posted By: bambam4501 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/19/03 01:16 AM
Hey ALT-SVT, I logged in but didnt see a number. I also emailed the link you listed but it came back as a bad address! Please PM me....dont want to miss out on this deal!!
Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/19/03 01:55 AM
I'm having the same problems with the payment instructions.
Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/19/03 02:36 AM
Not only am I not sure if I signed up correctly for the group buy, i.e. couldn't select a "number" as per instructions and the e-mail was coming back as "unknown host," but one can't even order the exhaust system from MPP.com because of problems with the shopping cart and a corrupt digital certificate? ATL-SVT, please fix this, or pm me with some answers.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/19/03 05:10 AM
Pm'ed you back wa2tuff.

I got your PM. Followed instructions, created a login name and number, e-mailed with login and password this am. It's midnight and still no answer. What's up? I don't want to miss out on this because of some dumb internet screwup.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/19/03 05:28 PM
I could have sworn I already typed a reply on this one? Oh well, all of you should have recieved and email from Bruce, the CEO of Mad Performance Products, explaining the small website issue they've been having. You should be recieving a call from either Bruce or Matt to place your order. Very sorry for the mixup on this guys. Everything will still go as planned, just had to make a few quick adjustments is all.

IMPORTANT: The in stock exhausts are now all spoken for. HOWEVER Mad Performance, being the good guys that they are, have decided to honor all orders placed during this group buy, at group buy pricing. They will have to be ordered from the distributor and this generally takes about 2 weeks, but then will be drop shipped from there in an effort to make time in transit as short as possible. Lastly, if you pay by credit card, your card WILL NOT be charged until your exhaust ships to you. Thanks again.

Tim
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/20/03 06:55 AM
Hot damn!! Got the PM, made the call, spent the dollars, got me a Borla!! Thanks ATL-SVT and Bruce, I'll soon be a happy man.

PS. Bruce and I talked for almost an hour. Seems like a straight up guy who really knows his business.
Posted By: Cobra_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/20/03 12:07 PM
Same here!! Thanks Tim and Bruce! Soon my SVT will be purring!!!
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/20/03 12:13 PM
Sweet! Glad you guys are happy so far! This is nothing, wait til you get it on the tour, then you'll really be happy!
found this interesting article about the exhaust

"SVT Contour Exhaust Modification: Is it worth it?
by, Thanos Pantazis

[back to articles]

One of the great small sports sedans in the past years was the SVT Contour. For a reasonable price, you got a good looking, well-mannered, quick car. As is the case with any performance car, you always want more power. So, how are you going to get more power? Traditionally auto performance enthusiasts begin with exhaust and air intake modifications, and then move to more subtle modifications (or they arenâ??t so subtle, throwing in a turbo!). This article will compare two after market cat-back exhaust systems, Bassani and Borla, on the SVT Contour to determine if you are really getting the power for the price. We began by running a dyno on the SVT Contour stock, without any modifications, then we added each exhaust and ran another test. Remember, we are looking at the performance aspect here, the sound and look of a system may change your mind, but thatâ??s for you to decide.

Bassani Quite Thunder Cat-Back Exhaust
For this particular car we had an average gain of about 2.3% in horsepower (FWHP) and 2.4% in Torque (FWTQ). Now, to be fair, percentages are dependent on total beginning horsepower. If you started out with 400 FWHP then a 2% gain will give you 8 FWHP. Before we tested this particular Contour the car was measuring 160 rear wheel FWHP. Therefore, a 2% increase only yielded 3.2 FWHP. Is this the kind of gain that you are going to feel at the "seat-of-your-pants"? No, I doubt it. Usually, you get different gains at different levels of your RPM range. This system has a virtually flat response except for the last 1000 RPMs that have closer to a 4% increase in FWTQ and this strange blip at about 4700 RPM???

Borla Cat-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust
The Borla system gives you much more on the low end but is very erratic. On average there was a gain of 3.4% in FWHP and 3.5% in FWTQ. However, as you can see from the graph, there is a major increase within the first 4000 RPMs, about 5.6%, and then a fast drop off to lower levels (1.8%) than the Bassani (2.4%) for the remainder of the range. Usually quick dips (like the one at 3100 and 4400 RPM) are a result of timing issues when a sensor gives a bad reading and the computer compensates by reducing the timing. It normally takes an increase of 10 FWHP before you notice a big difference in "seat-of-the-pants" performance so we are getting close with this system. You will especially feel the difference in accelerating from a stop, but not when moving at highway speeds.

Both Borla and Bassani have been around for quite some time and have been making excellent products for years. I have seen cars in the past that have picked up 15+ FWHP from just a cat-back Borla system. So, seeing data like this tells me that the stock SVT Contour exhaust system is pretty good. Now, provided that you are not going to make any other mods to your car, I would say itâ??s not worth putting any of these systems in your car. Both of these systems go for about $590, so in terms of performance only, you are spending a lot of money for five HP. The stock system looks and sounds great and has only slightly degraded numbers. However, if you are going to do additional mods like an air intake system, then you should reconsider. The better your air intake system, the better flowing you want your exhaust. This is simply because you are getting a bigger explosion with increased air intake and you need a more efficient path for the gases to escape. I would be very interested to see a comparison between an air intake system and air intake + exhaust for this car. My bottom line is if this is the only modification you are going to do, the power is not worth the price. If you add more goodies, then it will be worth the money. Of course, if you are going for sound and look then at least you know youâ??re not losing anything!

"
good price though saving almost 200 bucks from what borla charges

Product Description
T-304 STAINLESS STEEL
CAT-BACK (Complete Exhaust System from catalytic converter back)

14868 T-304 STAINLESS STEEL

Year: 1997-99
Make: FORD
Vehicle: CONTOUR
Model: SVT+2.5L+V6+4DR
$785.99 $785.99
Shopping Cart Subtotal: $785.99
Posted By: bambam4501 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/20/03 11:48 PM
Still waiting for my PM!! Hope Im in the inital shipment!!
Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/21/03 12:54 AM
Sorry, but I believe I'm the third person in the initial shipment. I have spoken to Bruce several times and the exhaust is scheduled to arrive next week.
Posted By: bambam4501 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/21/03 01:51 AM
I thought there was 13 in the inital deal?
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/21/03 02:47 AM
Originally posted by bambam4501:
I thought there was 13 in the inital deal?

Nope, this was in the original post for the interest in the sale:

Quote:

Hey all, I've recently been made aware of a small quantity of Borla Exhausts for the CSVT. This company is looking to clear out it's inventory (less than 10 units) and that translates into excellent pricing on the consumer end. All I need from you guys is a gauge on the amount of interest there is out there. Once it has been determined that interest does exist, then the group buy will commence. At which time I will have pricing and the actual number of units available. I know your interest will be "depending on price" so you don't have to put that in your post. The pricing will be good or the buy won't happen, it's that simiple. Thanks for reading.... now post your interest!

Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/21/03 03:35 AM
There were initially three units in stock. MPP claims they will honor all orders placed during the three week group buy. MPP is expecting more units shortly from their distributer.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/24/03 12:41 PM
2 weeks left on this group buy folks....
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/25/03 04:13 AM
hoping its not too late. how many are left?? and i know its 2 weeks left but what is the exact cut off date?? i almost have all the money
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/25/03 01:35 PM
dunno if Mike (CobraR) was planning on posting in here or not but the borla came in yesterday via FedEx in perfect condition.
in our excitement, we forgot to take pics to prove it, so you'll have to take our word for it.
and now it gets to sit in the box until May most likely before it can get installed. aww well.

big thanks to Tim for setting this up

Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/25/03 01:58 PM
Awesome! I'm glad everything came is in excellent condition. Thanks for the kind words too! CSVT1214, you have a pm. Thanks all, this group buy closes on December 8th. Orders are still being accepted until then!

Tim
Posted By: Cobra_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/25/03 02:09 PM
Yup, I got it yesterday!! Its going to be a long winter!!!!!
Posted By: Olathe SVT Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/25/03 05:11 PM
Looks like the deal is still on. Count me in. I've put one Borla system on an Explorer and it went on very nicely. It looks like they are already showing up so how do I get you my order, payment and shipping info?

Thanks

Tony
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/25/03 05:43 PM
OlatheSVT- you have a PM.
Posted By: outkast Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/25/03 08:55 PM
I still like the bosal system!but I would never ever
sell my borla
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/25/03 11:20 PM
I got mine yesterday (Monday). I talked to Bruce Wednesday night for the order and I didn't expect it so soon. Awesome!! The box was in perfect shape but I was too busy/tired to open it. I'll check it out tonight. When I get my y-pipe from SP Motorsports, I'll have it put on. CAN'T FREAKIN WAIT!!!!!
Posted By: Cobra_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/26/03 11:43 AM
Cool!! Just don't take everything out unless you are going to install it asap. I can't install mine until spring and I decided to take everthing out of the box to see if it was all there (it was) and I couldn't figure out how to put it all back in!!
Posted By: bxd20_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/26/03 02:48 PM
Okay, so we know the Borla sounds deeper than the Bossal, that's perfect & what I want.

How does the Borla compare to the Brullen? Which one is deeper?

Brian
Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/29/03 10:19 PM
Here's my impressions after putting on the Borla exhaust. Together with the ShoShop y-pipe, KKM intake, and JET chip, I'm quite pleased with the performance gains. Seems to be more power at lower rpms and delivery feels smoother to redline. It definitely sounds deeper at idle. I previously had the stock resonator removed which resulted in a raspy, tin can full of marbles sound. There is absolutely no rasp with this system. I had minor fitment issues with the system lining up properly to the flex pipe, but I got it all to work. Fortunately, the pipes slide together very easily, unlike the problems I had with the ShoShop y-pipe. Overall, I think I got my money's worth.
Posted By: JessMan_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 11/30/03 04:05 AM
Originally posted by SVTFORME2:
... but I think Jessman's Borla sounds better than mine .

Add the MSDS headers and the sound gets even better I love my Borla, probably my favorite mod.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/01/03 02:24 PM
last week of the buy. It ends next monday.
Posted By: bambam4501 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/01/03 05:09 PM
ALT-SVT you have a PM
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/01/03 08:17 PM
Originally posted by bambam4501:
ALT-SVT you have a PM

No sir, you.... have a pm.
Posted By: bambam4501 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/01/03 08:31 PM
Thank you ALT!! ....LOL.....
Posted By: papadage_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/02/03 02:52 AM
If it's not too late, I want in...

And, if not, any recommendation on a good hi flow cat to go with this and the MSDS headers?
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/03/03 07:52 PM
Originally posted by papadage:

And, if not, any recommendation on a good hi flow cat to go with this and the MSDS headers?

Get the y-pipe which included the hi flow cat from Joe at SP Motorsports. I got mine yesterday and it's a Magnaflow. Everything gets installed next week. Can't wait!!!!!
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/03/03 10:39 PM
Hey ALT-SVT, you have a PM.
Posted By: papadage_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/04/03 01:37 AM
I already have a y-pipe with the msds headers I have in a box in my hallway. I just need the cat. Yhanks for the suggestion though. Anyone know if Stazi still has cats?
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/04/03 12:59 PM
Originally posted by TommySVT:
Hey ALT-SVT, you have a PM.

You have one back Tommy.
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/04/03 02:18 PM
Thanks. I'm going to order it tomorrow.
Posted By: outkast Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/04/03 07:19 PM
show off some pics please!!just the ones in the group buy I,d like to see how it looks on thier cars.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/05/03 01:06 PM
okay guys/girls, this weekend is it. All orders must be placed by Monday december 8th, 2003 @ Noon EST in order to recieve the group buy pricing. This will be the last "time remaining" update. Thanks to all who have participated thus far and to anybody else sitting on the fence about this.... it's now or never. Thanks

Tim
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/05/03 03:20 PM
FYI Everyone: You do not need to send your password in the e-mail when you contact the folks at MAD. The guy at MAD just e-mailed me and told me that.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/08/03 05:23 PM
Well, it's been real fella's (and ladies if any are present ), but as all good things come to an end, so does this group buy. Thank you everyone who participated, if the people who've ordered have any more questions or concerns, please post here or send me a PM and you will recieve a prompt reply.

thanks

Tim
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/12/03 02:01 PM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:

Get the y-pipe which included the hi flow cat from Joe at SP Motorsports. I got mine yesterday and it's a Magnaflow. Everything gets installed next week. Can't wait!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!! It's not as loud as the one I took off but it's not raspy anymore and is much deeper. I can now understand Borla--it's great! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/12/03 02:07 PM
I already have a y-pipe with the msds headers I have in a box in my hallway. I just need the cat. Yhanks for the suggestion though. Anyone know if Stazi still has cats?

If not, BAT or Joe at SP Motorsports can fix you up.
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/15/03 01:55 AM

I LOVE IT!!!! It's not as loud as the one I took off but it's not raspy anymore and is much deeper. I can now understand Borla--it's great! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Cool. I'm on the waiting list for the distributor to get their next order in.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/15/03 12:36 PM
should be very soon Tommy ....
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 12/15/03 01:15 PM
should be very soon Tommy ....

Thanks for the update.
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 03/25/04 03:38 PM
are any still available? I want one if its still on
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 03/25/04 03:41 PM
Why not PM him instead of diggin up an old post.
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 03/25/04 05:43 PM
I didnt realize it was an old post until I posted to it, the link was sent to me. I do deeply appologize oh great repost master guru of the forums.
Posted By: papadage_dup1 Re: Borla Group Buy, ON NOW!! - 03/26/04 11:56 PM
You know, I still have not gottem mine. I was skipped in the GB while I was on the waiting list, and aside from one email, I have not gotten a response.
© CEG Archives