Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Reverend DBZ Jr Kickpanel Group Buy - 09/18/03 10:34 PM
Hey everyone, Time to bring this back up again. I'll be making kick panels for our cars. I know i posted about this a long time ago, but time hasn't been my friend.

Back to the subject. These kicks are of course custom made, and I will be working on pretty much all different sizes for speakers. I'll be able to fit 6 1/2" drivers by your feet. I will also be working hard on the best angle for sound production, and soundstaging.

Basically I'll be trying to build these to order, and for the few that doesn't know what size speakers you will be using, I will make a couple of generic sets.

The negative side of making these, are the fact that I won't be finishing them with vinyl, or special paint, carpet, etc.. etc.. Because I live so far away, getting matching finishes with everyone's cars are really difficult (believe me, I've tried to get the matching finish for my car, with failure). I'll most likely finish it with primer, for a universal finish for everyone to do.

And since you're all wondering, the price of these should run about $225 or so. This price already includes the shipping, because i know how horrible it can get to ship something to, and from Hawaii. I'll have pics of the finished prototype by the end of the weekend.

Like most group buys, the more confirmed buyers, the more i can negotiate the price lower. So whoever is interested, just let me know.

Ren
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 09/19/03 01:52 AM
I'm interested... and 6 1/2" is what I was planning for my components.
Posted By: Reverend DBZ Jr Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 09/19/03 09:51 AM
Alrighty.. Like i said, the more people interested in buying these, I'm actually willing to reduce the price to something even more reasonable. But i'm sure for the price i'm offering is pretty decent. Any questions, feel free to post.
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 09/19/03 10:12 AM
i am in once i see a pic of one and 6 1/2 is the size i would like also
Posted By: fastrussman Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 09/22/03 10:15 AM
Will it fit component speakers or will you have to find a place for the tweeters!!
Posted By: Reverend DBZ Jr Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 09/23/03 06:00 AM
It will have a seperate spot for the tweeters of course, for components. The mount for the tweeter will also be at a different angle, because of it being on the side of the mid-driver. The tweeter will also be mounted in a lower plane, so it's Voice coil lines up with the mid-driver voice coil, for more optimum time alignment.
Posted By: Reverend DBZ Jr Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - progress - 09/25/03 10:25 PM
Okay everyone.. here's the update. The kickpanels are almost complete... I've worked on the angles for hours and hours on each side. I know i wanted to complete the first set by the end of the weekend, but i had to make sure these are worth every penny, and more, so there was a delay.

The ones i have as a proto-type will be able to fit 7" drivers. All I need to do is apply resin, and i can have pictures up. (can someone host for me by the way?? ). So whenever you guys are ready, just let me know,... i'm ready to accept deposits.

I'm making these at an extremely low price, because our cars don't have pre-fabbed kicks, and it would be stupidly high priced in order to make custom kicks from some audio shop. ($500-$1000+).

Just an update..

Ren
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - progress - 09/25/03 11:06 PM
I'll host for you.
Posted By: DomesticAssault Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 09/27/03 06:01 AM
Interested. Can't wait to see pics!!!
Posted By: Reverend DBZ Jr Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 09/28/03 07:41 AM
Pics are ready to post, as soon as i get a host! Just need to do sanding, and the prototype is complete. Will fit up to 7" drivers..
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Pics! - 09/29/03 11:56 AM
Originally posted by dbzjr:
Pics are ready to post, as soon as i get a host! Just need to do sanding, and the prototype is complete. Will fit up to 7" drivers..

Here they are!

Posted By: SoundQ SVT_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Pics! - 09/30/03 03:20 AM
Just wondering how much time you spent listening to the speakers in the location you are making those panels for? When I was trying to determine the optimal setup for my system, I found the best performance occurred with the speakers up off the floor and slightly tucked under the dash. Also, the angle and location of my kicks don't intrude nearly as far into the footwell as yours seem to, although mine are for 5.25" coincident drivers and not a 7" component set...

Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Pics! - 09/30/03 03:59 AM
Bob, what did you do about your hood release? Looks like your kick covers it up completely.
Posted By: Reverend DBZ Jr Re: Kickpanel Pics! - 09/30/03 01:00 PM
What I actually did Bob, was start off with how your setup was, and how your angles were based. It didn't quite work right with the component set, so i just worked from there. I also had to compensate for room having a larger driver. It took me about 4 hours of positioning, and repositioning.

All in all, IMO i think it came out nicely balanced.

Ren
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Kickpanel Pics! - 10/01/03 07:15 AM
are these goin to work on a 5 speed it looks like the clutch pedal would be behind it
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Pics! - 10/01/03 11:37 AM
The should work with minimal (if any) interference.
Posted By: DomesticAssault Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/02/03 05:18 AM
I agree with Bob, seems that they stick out too far in my footwell. If I wanted to do that I could buy the universal kit from Crutchfield. I was expecting a little more integration....sorry
Posted By: Reverend DBZ Jr Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/02/03 12:42 PM
Originally posted by DomesticAssault:
I agree with Bob, seems that they stick out too far in my footwell. If I wanted to do that I could buy the universal kit from Crutchfield. I was expecting a little more integration....sorry

They stick out, but not enough to get in the way of the clutch. I've been working many hours on this trying to get it to fit perfectly. I chose a 7" mid because there are a few with 7" drivers. The set I'm making right now is a prototype. I'm trying my best to get it the best it can be.
There is a lot more hard work to be put on these... i'm not done yet.. i just wanted pics to be put up of the preliminary product.

Ren
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/02/03 04:51 PM
To answer your PM, I'm still interested, though I have to admit its a guarded interest. I know you're trying to make a quality product, but with something like this I think its safest to wait for a more "final" version. I know you said it should fit with a clutch pedal, but I'd really like to have someone test it. Also, I was planning on putting my tweeters up above... will having them on the floor sound good? Will the sound stage be too low? (I'm a n00b about those kinds of things)

I will buy a set if they don't interfere with the clutch at all and they produce the proper sound.
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/02/03 11:03 PM
Hetfield,

I would recommend putting the tweets right where Ren has them designed with most 6.5-7" drivers. You could put an additional crossover in place and run some small diameter tweets in the a-pillar to cover the not so critical 7khz and up range. It will do a decent job of raising the soundstage while retaining good imaging.
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/02/03 11:21 PM
For anyone considering these kicks, keep in mind a few things. Bob's kick panels, although spectacularly well done, and even better sounding, are considerably more complex not to mention expensive. If you are looking for something of that caliber, be prepared to spend 3-4x as much as Ren is charging, which is already well below market value, IMO.

If I still had my contour, I would without question purchase these kick panels. Keep in mind that speakers all have different optimum placements, in Bob's case, his position was best, but for others, it may not be. The point to the generic kicks to give you very good performance, and very simple installation, customized to the contour/mystique, at a very reasonable cost, with better build quality than the generic versions at Crutchfield. Also, with their positioning, you are going to get significantly better performance than the stock position.

If someone has an opportunity, get a measurement of the distance from the center console to the left side of the clutch pedal, then ren can get a good comparison of the clearance compared to an automatic.

I don't know if my endorsement means anything to any of the potential buyers, but if I were looking for kick panels that don't break the bank, I would not look beyond these.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/02/03 11:51 PM
Originally posted by dnewma04:

If someone has an opportunity, get a measurement of the distance from the center console to the left side of the clutch pedal, then ren can get a good comparison of the clearance compared to an automatic.

Distance from center console to left edge of clutch pedal=12.75"
Distance from left console to left edge of clutch pedal=8.25"
Posted By: KnuKonceptz_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/03/03 03:05 AM
Keep in mind that speakers all have different optimum placements,

Very good point Dave, on and off axis response is very different from speaker to speaker. In this case there is no absolute correct answer for the perfect allignment, it will depend on speaker type and axis response.

Also, IMHO i prefer to have the tweet and mid very close to one another, having you mid down low and tweet high doesnt really appeal to me, I am sure some have done well with this, but for simplicty keeping both drivers on the same axis is best.

I thought about making some kicks for myself, I made my own in my other cars. My only concern was that I wanted to make the whole door sill one smooth flowing peice. I am interested in how you personally finished yours. I had a friend who painted his to match the color of his car and that came out very well.
Posted By: fastrussman Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/04/03 11:26 AM
Hey Guys I'm still interested pending final product and price!!
Posted By: SoundQ SVT_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Pics! - 10/04/03 02:25 PM
Originally posted by hetfield:
Bob, what did you do about your hood release? Looks like your kick covers it up completely.

Hood release?? what is that?

Actually, my installer removed the release from it's mounting on the kickpanel and it now is located above the kick panel, tucked up under the dash.

Posted By: Reverend DBZ Jr Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/06/03 06:15 AM
Originally posted by hetfield:

Distance from center console to left edge of clutch pedal=12.75"
Distance from left console to left edge of clutch pedal=8.25"

Okay, right now the farthest that the prototype of these kicks stick out to about 7.5". This is a prototype, so don't worry about it too much right now. The finished product at the end that i will be sending out will have more room. I'm working with these 7" drivers for myself mainly, and for those who want. The rest will be able to fit about 6.5" drivers. Thanks for those who are patient.

By the way, i'm almost ready to post up new pics of these.. I'll keep you all updated.

Ren
Posted By: TadeToad Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/12/03 01:48 AM
not impressed at all
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/13/03 12:35 PM
Originally posted by TadeToad:
not impressed at all

What are you not impressed with? An unfinished kick panel?
Posted By: path914 Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/13/03 01:37 PM
Originally posted by TadeToad:
not impressed at all

What are you not impressed with? An unfinished kick panel?

There is no point in replying to his stupidity. It's just that troll Citation10 or whatever he used to call himself
Posted By: Benji Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 10/17/03 03:37 PM
Just outta question would these fit a Right hand drive Mondeo?

and would you ship them to the UK?
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: Kickpanel Group Buy - 01/21/04 06:36 AM
uhhh.... bump?
© CEG Archives