Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/13/03 09:26 PM
Here is the deal on the Steeda Tri-Ax/F shifter with no knob. We need to have 15 people to get this pricing. The reason being free shipping from Steeda to the distributor means lower price to us.

The way payment will work. Once we have the fifteen people and the group buy is closed I will PM you all with the number of the distributor in which you can make your payment too. He will take your shipping address , order, and payment. Once the group buy closes I would like for for everyone to pay as soon as possible as we will be waiting for everyone to pay. Once everyone has paid he will order the shifters and ship them out to us.

Retail 109.00 + 10.00 shipping = 119.00

Price for us - $90.00 and that includes shipping to you. (within the 48 states, sorry Alaska and Hawaii) shipping will be more for you. Add tax if you live in NC

If you really want a knob they are $40 more.

Lets get this thing going.

Later,

Eric
Posted By: Pienstars Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/13/03 10:46 PM
What kind of modifications need to be done to get this shifter to fit? Is it fairly easy to do? If so, count me in for 1. Seems like there's alot of interest here so lets get this rolling.
i will be glad to do another in depth write up on the install again for you guys buying these shifters...all you need to buy is 4 longer bolts w/nuts, and you'll need a drill...very easy to do...you use the plastic piece under the shifter tower as the riser plate...this only applies to the '98 and '99 models though...the '00 have a revised shifter tower,and do not have this plastic piece(iirc y2ksvt put one on his '00,maybe he can post about how he did it)...i don't have time right now,but i will be glad to do a detailed step by step install write up before you guys get your shifters...

i've had mine in over a year now without a single problem...and it is awesome....i also helped rob install his at the nashville meet earlier this year,and it only took a few minutes...
Posted By: SVTCuervo Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/13/03 11:00 PM
To all of those who are asking about the difference between the B&M and the Steeda, there is a difference or two. I have the B&M, and have also driven a SVT with a Steeda. With the B&M it takes alot more movement to get into 1st(you have to get used to going much more to the left and then up) or you'll find that you start off in third . The Steeda doesn't require that extra effort and it shifts very short and smoothly. I'd say its about the same length between shifts, if not a little shorter than the B&M. However the B&M is much shorter than the Steeda, but that also depends on the konb you put on it.

And I'll have a stupid question:

Since I have a Focus shift tower installed in my SVT, will I still need to make that adapter plate or will it work without it?
The shift tower is on the transmission...it doesn't have anything to do with the stick shift area inside the car as they are connected by the cables. The riser is probably required to allow the lowest point on the steeda to clear the floor panel. If you don't have an actual Ford Focus, then count on using a riser plate. Sounds easy enough to make one with a piece of wood if you don't have the plastic plate. Give the guy a chance to describe how its done so we can all use his "how-to".

war....
Thanks War for the reply. I kept hearing "shift tower" and got a little confused. I'm back on track.

Count me in for a shifter please.
Posted By: Baby SHO Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 12:31 AM
Count me in. Will the stock shift knob work?
Posted By: Barge Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 12:40 AM
Put me down for a shifter Been waiting to get one of these.
Posted By: 2kSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 04:34 AM
I have been waiting for this also. I'm pretty sure our knob will screw right on,but a Momo sure would look nice!
Count me in!

Rod
2kSVT
After one day we are a 1/3 of the way there. Keep it up guys.

1:Pienstars
2:TommySVT
3:Baby SHO
4:SVT Barge
5:2kSVT

Eric
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 06:06 AM
i'm in.
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 12:09 PM
I'm in as well...
Posted By: CincySVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 12:17 PM
I'm in also , hey Rod when we get these we should meet up and install them!!!!!, I am going to try to get Tavis in on this also! Later once again count me in!!
Griffin
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 01:14 PM
Is there anyway you could check if I could jump in on this for the SVT Focus Steeda shifter. The normal price on their website for that is $89.

If I can sneek one in under this GB for a little less I would be on it.

Posted By: Kevdogg410 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 01:32 PM
Originally posted by MotorCity:
Is there anyway you could check if I could jump in on this for the SVT Focus Steeda shifter. The normal price on their website for that is $89.

It is for the SVT focus...
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Kevdogg410:
Originally posted by MotorCity:

It is for the SVT focus...

No its not. The SVT Focus has 6 speed Getrag with a different shifter. The one listed here is for the MTX-75, not what I have.
Posted By: csc99svt Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 02:31 PM
count me in!
Posted By: 98.5_SVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 02:36 PM
I want one too!!!
Posted By: path914 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 04:07 PM
Eric, you can add me as in.
Posted By: Nick98CSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 05:26 PM
Count me in on this. Thanks
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 05:42 PM
yup, svt focus shifter is different.
New List,

6:hmouta
7:mcgainer
8:CincySVT
9:csc99svt
10:David2k3
11:path914
12:nickyd1298svt

Keep it up guys and gals. I figure i'll let it go for like a week and see where we are at. That should be enough time for everyone that wants in to be in.

Thanks,

Eric
Posted By: LuckySVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 07:47 PM
Hey i might be interested in this group buy but i have a couple of questions, 1st: Is there some kind if warrenty with these shifters if they break somehow? and 2: Because these shifters arent as strong as the B&M, will they break easier? Hope to hear from u guys soon! I am on the verge of joining this group buy but i need these questions answered 1st. thanks!
Posted By: LuckySVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 07:48 PM
Oh one more thing! Sorry, but will any shift knob work on these shifters?
Originally posted by LuckySVT:
Hey i might be interested in this group buy but i have a couple of questions, 1st: Is there some kind if warrenty with these shifters if they break somehow? and 2: Because these shifters arent as strong as the B&M, will they break easier? Hope to hear from u guys soon! I am on the verge of joining this group buy but i need these questions answered 1st. thanks!

Lucky,

I have never heard about them not being as strong as the B&M. I am afraid that you may have these confused with the ones that were discussed in another post that were from ebay that were breaking on people. I believe that they had mistaken them for Steeda shifters and they were not. Steeda has been making shifters for Mustangs for many years and I would be willing to say that they are just as strong if not stronger as the B&M shifter. I will look over Steedaâ??s web page and see if they discuss the warranty on their page. Hope I have answered any questions you may have about the shifter.

Later,

Eric
i agree with myfastse...steeda is a very reputable company,and i guarantee you that they will stand behind their product...like he said they have been making shifters for years...also you are thinking of the obx shifters that broke on everybody....
Posted By: Kappa2006 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 10:48 PM
One question before I decide. How much shorter is the steeda compared to the stock shifter (using the stock svt knob)? I want to make sure its going to be out of the way of my new cd player I'm putting in. Thanks.
Posted By: csc99svt Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/14/03 11:25 PM
if you do a search for steeda installs in the general mods section you should come up with a thread that includes a very nice shadow type picture where both the steeda and the stock shifter or "inlayed" over each other in the picture.....def a differnce in the two....
Originally posted by Kappa2006:
One question before I decide. How much shorter is the steeda compared to the stock shifter (using the stock svt knob)? I want to make sure its going to be out of the way of my new cd player I'm putting in. Thanks.

Detailed pics are in here:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genmods&Number=228932&Forum=All_Forums&Words=steeda&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=250&Old=allposts&Main=7301&Search=true#Post228932

and here:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tranny&Number=217526&Forum=All_Forums&Words=steeda&Match=And&Searchpage=1&Limit=250&Old=allposts&Main=135654&Search=true#Post217526
Posted By: Kappa2006 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/15/03 02:05 AM
Ok I'm in!
We are in the process of trying to get the riser plates made to make this a complete user friendly install. We are having the car test fittied to day and I will give updates when available. We are looking to price these at cost just to make the people feel at ease if they are worried about trying to make riser plates. I don't know if these will actually get made but we are gonna try. I will post a price when we are sure that we can get these made at an affordable price.

Later,

Eric
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok,

I'm in if it comes in at $90 or less for the total.
Thanks for organizing this.

warmonger
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/15/03 05:54 PM
Count me in too.
New List,

13:Kappa2006
14:warmonger ( if price is right )
15:ghodge

I'll set an end date tomorrow. Will most likley be next friday. We'll wait and see if the riser plate idea pans out.

Thanks,

Eric
Posted By: 98.5_SVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/15/03 07:32 PM
Originally posted by myfastse:
We are in the process of trying to get the riser plates made to make this a complete user friendly install. We are having the car test fittied to day and I will give updates when available. We are looking to price these at cost just to make the people feel at ease if they are worried about trying to make riser plates. I don't know if these will actually get made but we are gonna try. I will post a price when we are sure that we can get these made at an affordable price.

Later,

Eric

Sounds good!!

I could be way off here, but since we are using longer bolts could we just put several washers at the end of each bolt to give us the extra clearance in place of the riser plate!?!?!

Later,

Eric

Eric-
You can put me down if these riser plates can be fabbed. . .I don't like the whole idea of maching a piece of metal and getting it within spec, I just don't have the time. . .so I'm in at whatever price including the riser plate. . .

Are these compatible with Momo shift knobs that are ALREADY on our shifters?? That would be a plus as well. . .

Suneil
I am almost 100% positive that the knob will fit. The factory one will fit why not an aftermarket one that is make for the factory shifter.

later,

Eric
Originally posted by David2k3:

Later,

Eric

Sounds good!!

I could be way off here, but since we are using longer bolts could we just put several washers at the end of each bolt to give us the extra clearance in place of the riser plate!?!?!

no this will not work...the whole tower has to be taller not just the bolts being longer...
Originally posted by LuckySVT:

If it means anything to ya I broke my B&M shifter. It was supposedly an old style and they broke easier, but I saw no difference between the two!
Posted By: 98.5_SVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/16/03 04:10 AM
Originally posted by chrisilversvt:

no this will not work...the whole tower has to be taller not just the bolts being longer...

Well I mean use the longer bolts as "legs" to raise the entire tower up!!

I knew what you meant. Instead of a plate, have 4 sets of washers acting as the spacer. I guess it could work, but I'd feel safer with a plate (that whole contact area and me with my hard shifting at the track).
Originally posted by TommySVT:

I knew what you meant. Instead of a plate, have 4 sets of washers acting as the spacer. I guess it could work, but I'd feel safer with a plate (that whole contact area and me with my hard shifting at the track).

once again no it WILL NOT work...trust me i was one of the first on here to install this shifter...the center of the shifter base has to be supported...it will slide out of the base if it is not supported...a riser plate is necessary...with a hole in the plate big enough to allow the shifter to move through the gears,but not too large to allow the shifter to slide out of the base...

go take your stock shifter out,and see for yourself...washers to make the extra space WILL NOT work....

and once again for you '98 and '99 owners...you DO NOT have to get a seperate plate...the plate that the shifter bolts thread into can easily be used for the riser plate...you will just need 4 longer bolts with nuts....i will do a detailed write up of this install method soon..i will try and post up a couple pics as well...

i hope that someone gets these riser plates made,and it will make it easier on everyone to install..but if not my method has worked for me for over a year with no problems..
Posted By: Barge Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/16/03 02:53 PM
Sounds like using the plastic piece is the easiest cheapest method.. at least for us 98/99 owners. Then I could get my shifter sooner
Posted By: green SVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/16/03 03:51 PM
count me in send me pm with da info!!
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/16/03 05:17 PM
so no plate period for my 98?,because im the one that is tryin to get the plates made and i need a decent count of how many plates will be needed.
Originally posted by RayL5480:
so no plate period for my 98?,because im the one that is tryin to get the plates made and i need a decent count of how many plates will be needed.

You misunderstood that:

What he was saying is that you can drill out the holes to loosen the plate that is under the mounting area and bring the plate up top to use as the spacer. I own an 98 and would like to use a real spacer and leave the stock one in it's original location.

You misunderstood that:

What he was saying is that you can drill out the holes to loosen the plate that is under the mounting area and bring the plate up top to use as the spacer. I own an 98 and would like to use a real spacer and leave the stock one in it's original location.

I have a 98 and want to get a riser plate as well.

You misunderstood that:

you are right about that...BUT you will probably NOT have enough clearance underneath the tower keeping that plate under there...the steeda needs more room underneath the tower than stock...so if you use a riser plate you will probably still have to remove that plate underneath and use nuts to secure the new longer bolts you will have to use...

and btw you don't have to drill anything to remove that plate underneath the tower..it will probably fall out when you remove all the shifter bolts....if it doesn't fall out,you just simply pull it out...

you use the drill to remove the threads in the holes in that plate so the new longer bolts will slide through them...the threaded part of that plate is metal,you just use the drill to get rid of the threads....your shifter will be secured by nuts which will hold just as well as that palte would...
Originally posted by Steve:
count me in send me pm with da info!!

I'll send out the info in a couple of days. I wanted to leave the group buy open for a week or so. We are still waiting to hear back from the machine shop. Will mostlikely be Tuesday when we hear back from them. We have our fifteen but I believe that a few on are the boarder based on the possibality of a plate being made. I will have more info at the begining of the week. Thanks for the support to make this happen guys.

Later,

Eric
Should have some news on the riser plate today (tuesday) . Just trying to keep you guys informed.

Later,

Eric
Awesome. Thanks for the update.
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/19/03 05:41 PM
Did anyone ever post what the 00's needed to do about the riser? I might be interested but if I could get a riser plate too...
A prototype plate is being made tonight and "should" be in our hands tomorrow . Thanks for being patient guys and gals.

Eric
Excellent. Did he give a rough estimate on pricing?

We are looking at aroung 10 dollars. If it is more than that it will be up to you guys to say if you want them or not. These will be sold to you guys at cost. There will be no profit on the riser plates. We will find out tomorrow.

Later,

Eric
Thanks. You sure are very connected to this GB and I like that.
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/20/03 12:15 PM
Can somone please give me the exact thickness of what the riser plate needs to be to save on time and experiminting with the macine shop.
Posted By: Bullish Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/20/03 04:43 PM
Count me in!
We are having two plates made as we speak. We are having two different thickness made to see how thin or thick it has to be. The plates will be made available to us to try on a car tomorrow afternoon. Things are going well and hope to bring this thing to an end soon. I know some of you are wanting your shifters soon. Thank you for being patient as we gets the fine details worked out.

Later,

Eric
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/20/03 11:53 PM
i think everyone should give Eric a round of applause for the work and effort he is putting in to this
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/21/03 12:59 AM
i know i cant wait.
i think everyone should give Eric a round of applause for the work and effort he is putting in to this

*Golf Clap*
Posted By: Nick98CSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/21/03 02:42 AM
*Golf Clap*
Posted By: 2kSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/21/03 03:29 AM
Yeah,I like how you are keeping us informed! The $10 for the riser plate doesn't sound bad.Hey, if it makes the install easier I'm for it, especially those of us with 2000
models. Thanks again for your hard work. I can't wait.

Rod
2kSVT
Hey,

If you can work a deal on the SVTF Tri-Ax within this group buy count me in. It is already cheaper than the regular Focus Tri-Ax but was wondering if you could swing a deal. You can PM me and let me know if you want.
Could you please include me in this group buy.
We have the plate in our hands. I will post tomorrow if the size and thickness works. I am working on my car tomorrow ( taking out the tranny) and then going to a baseball game, after that I will post how things went.

Later,

Eric
Posted By: 98.5_SVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 08/22/03 11:55 PM
Sweet!!

Any idea how long it will take to finalize everything with the shifter and have them sent out??

By the way, thanks for putting this together!!
Here's the snap, it up , and its good. The first plate fit like a champ. I will have a finalized price on the plate tomorrow. What I need for you guys is WHO wants a plate. I know it depends on price. I am saying if the price is right who wants a plate. Qty = discount.

Also I have gotten alot on interest about the FSVT shifter (6 speed ) and we can do those for $80 shipped to your door. Let me know if you want one.

New List,

13:Kappa2006
14:warmonger ( if price is right )
15:ghodge
16:ssmumich00
17:steve
18:evlbill
19:Bullish
20:svtavino
21:myfastse
22:mental case

Here is the last list that I have. Lets bring this bad boy to an end. As soon as we have a plate count I will close the group buy.

Later,

Eric

P.S. if you are no longer interested , pm so I can take your name off the list.
I am down for the shifter and the plate!
Count me in for shifter + plate.
Shifter + plate. Just want to verify, I do need this plate for my 00 csvt right? If so, I'll take both.
I'll take the plate if it's $10 or less.. if not I'll just use the plastic piece or figure it out on my own.
I already ordered a Steeda shifter shortly before the group buy. I would be interested in the riser plate only if it is possible.

Thank you,
Fernando
I'm already on the list for the shifter. If the mounting plate works for the 2000 Contours, put me down of a plate also.

Thanks,

Shifter + Plate here too!!
shifter + plate for me too.
shifter+plate please. . .and someone post a how-to!!!
Shifter only. I'm too cheap, especially if I already have a plate.

UNLESS the plate is no more than $5. Having one all ready to go might be cool and worth the 5 bucks.

Shifter and plate.
Shifter and plate, please.
Shifter + plate for me, daddy-o. I've never participated in a CEG group buy, so please give us payment procedures, etc.

Thanks for all the work you've done!
Okay guys, I am in the process of sending out the info so you can call and put in your order.

Here is the final deal.

The plate ended up costing more than we thought but, we are going to eat the cost to make this thing hapen. We were shooting for $10 and the machine shop wants $15. The price still isn't bad but, not what we had hoped for. The key thing to remember for the price to stay where it is, we need everyone to order in the next couple of days. We need to order enough shifters from Steeda to get free shipping. So remember that other people will be waiting on you to pay so we can place the order and get free shipping. I will close this group buy over the weekend and the shifters will be ordered on monday. And hopfully if everything goes as planned you will have tracking numbers buy the end of next week. PLEASE remember buy Monday we need at least 15 people to have paid to make this happen. There are 22 people listed on the group buy so I don't think there will be a problem. When you have the number call the distributor and he will give you payment options. I am positive that you can pay by credit card or money order or certified check. You will have to discuss with him about personal checks.

Here is the pricing.

Focus shifter, the plate, shipping, and the bolts to make this work will be $100. We have made this a complete bolt in for you. You will have to make a small adjustment to you shifter tower to make the spring work. You can check the link in this goup buy to see what I mean.

If you want just the shifter it will be $90 and that includes shipping.

If you want the shifter for the FSVT it will be $80 shipped to your door.

Call and give him your name, screen name, and shipping address. Tell him what shifter you want and what package you want. If you want the plate or not.

If I have missed anything PM me and I will make a post with the missing information.

Later,

Eric
I just realized what time it was. I will send out the info tomorrow. I need to go to bed. I got to work tomorrow.

Later,

Eric
Ordered!

And Ray is a real cool guy to deal with.
Ordered and Anxious.
hey everyone ,just wanted to let you all know for ordering purposes that the store hours are from 8:30 to 5:30est monday threw friday.thanks to everyone and once again a big round of applause for eric and all his effort in this.preciate it tommy
:golfclap:
I would like the riser plate only please. Can you send ordering instructions my way. Thank you.
Originally posted by Fern:
I would like the riser plate only please. Can you send ordering instructions my way. Thank you.

You got PM.

Later,

Eric
I would like shifter and plate...please send order information.

Thanks,
Scott
Paid...please add me to the list

Great job on the GB and Ray (Ray5480) at Fastlane Motorsports is a great guy to deal with and very helpful to say the least

Thanks,
Scott
Paid
i just paid. ray was super nice. said about 10 paid. 3-4 more hanging. c'mon guys. pay fast, ship out sooner.
Just got off the phone...PAID. Come on guys call and get these paid. Yeah, Ray is super nice. If this one goes good we should use them for future go fast stuff!

Rod
2kSVT
I guess I should post that I paid.
I paid too.
I called in my payment today also. Thanks, Ray for setting this up!
Originally posted by Baby SHO:

Ray didn't do anything. let me fix you quote:

I called in my payment today also. Thanks, Eric for setting this up!

That is much better. just kidding Ray

Later,

Eric

Ray didn't do anything. let me fix you quote:

I called in my payment today also. Thanks, Eric for setting this up!

That is much better. just kidding Ray

Later,

Eric

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HA!!!i did do the technical part of this g.b.:)
I paid as well, thanks Ray! The directions sound pretty straightforward as well. . .
I'll call him tomorrow, I've just been too busy at work the past couple days... err months.
I will either be paying tomorrow or friday hopefully. Im headed to see my family.
seems like a lot of you guys are on the ball....dont mean to hold anything up, but i cant pay until friday morning, but i am gonna get it in......isnt this open until friday evening anyways?
I think Ray said he wants to get the orders in BEFORE labor day so we can get them next week, otherwise, it'll get delayed. . .but I don't know when the OFFICIAL close day/time is. . .it's just a 1-800 number, he's there, call, order. . .YEAH!
Originally posted by csc99svt:
seems like a lot of you guys are on the ball....dont mean to hold anything up, but i cant pay until friday morning, but i am gonna get it in......isnt this open until friday evening anyways?

Can't you just call and pay with your credit card? If you get the money Friday, how would you pay? Mail a check in?
order yeah! one for the benzo?

Can't you just call and pay with your credit card? If you get the money Friday, how would you pay? Mail a check in?

when you bank with a credit union instead of a bank, your card is only good with your checking account, so if i get the money on friday, i would pay on friday....

when you bank with a credit union instead of a bank, your card is only good with your checking account, so if i get the money on friday, i would pay on friday....

Ahhhh, thanks for the info. I never knew that, but since some people use their bank ATM card for credit card transactions, I can see what you mean.
Just called to order. Ray was great to work with. I'd like to thank Ray and Eric for this great group buy.
Ordered!

Ray is a great guy!
thanks again everyone.8 more peps to go that where on the original list.
1)pienstars
2)mcgainer
3)cincysvt
4)csc99svt
5)nickyd1298svt
6)kappa2006
7)steve
8)mentalcase

if anyone else is interested please feel free to jump in.laters Ray
I just ordered. Ray also said that he's a Spec dealer and it's almost clutch time for me...
the group buy will be ending today at 5:30pm est.so anyone still interested can still jump in
you can go ahead and count me, i havent ordered, but i leave for north caronlina in like 20 minutes, and i am gonna order as soon as we hit the interstate, at which i wont have access to a computer, so put me down!

gothca covered chris,hope you get to stop by while you are in Nc,since youll be 20 minutes up the road.
Paid!!! Just got off the phone with Ray. Just like everyone else said great guy and very helpfull. Thanks For the GB.
id like to thank everyone who participated in this group buy.you guys where the great ones to deal with.id like to give a big thanks to eric(myfastse)on all his help in this group buy.ill be contacting everyone in the next week to let them know when there shifters have been shipped out.once again thanks for all your support and the group buy has officially ended.for those who where contiplating the plates we may be having a production run on the risers so pm me for questions. RayL Fastlanemotorsports
Just to let everyone know and understand and kinda reinforce what Ray said: We are looking to ship everything one on next friday as long as everything continues to go smoothly. With next week being a short week that is as soon as we can ship them. They will be ordered on tuesday and should be with ray on thursday or friday.

I would like thank everyone for this making this group buy possible and really thank Ray for the time and money he has put in to this. Ray "personally" bought the bolts for everyone to make this a "true bolt" in for everyone. If any of you have any problems trying to put this in please do not hesitate to PM me or call Ray.

Once again, Thanks everyone.

Later,

Eric
Just to let everyone know and understand and kinda reinforce what Ray said: We are looking to ship everything one on next friday as long as everything continues to go smoothly. With next week being a short week that is as soon as we can ship them. They will be ordered on tuesday and should be with ray on thursday or friday.

I would like thank everyone for this making this group buy possible and really thank Ray for the time and money he has put in to this. Ray "personally" bought the bolts for everyone to make this a "true bolt" in for everyone. If any of you have any problems trying to put this in please do not hesitate to PM me or call Ray.

Once again, Thanks everyone.

Later,

Eric

Smoothest group buy I've seen in a long time.
gothca covered chris,hope you get to stop by while you are in Nc,since youll be 20 minutes up the road.

sorry, dude, i hate that, we hit so much traffic in knoxville and then again in ashville, it took till 8 o clock to get to burlington, where we got so hungry, we gave up and stopped and got a room...but, my fiancee's family owns a beach cottage somewhere on the east coast over there, and i made new golfin buddies with her cousins this weekend at a country club up there, so i got plenty o reasons to come back, maybe during fall break in oct.

sorry to hijack the thread.....thanks again ray....
Ray-
How much was I charged for the shifter and when was the charge run through on my card?

I got a deduction from my bank account for $150 on the 27th and didn't know if it was for the shifter, I was expecting the $100.
I will call ray in the morning and check with him about the charges. One of us will let you know. PM him with your number so he can call you and let you know if there was a mistake or if it wasn't him.

Later,

Eric
i just pmed ssmumich to tell him ,but ill just make a post to let everyone know that NO cards have been or will be run untill your shifter is being shipped.thats why i got everyones numbers as so i could call you back to let you know the billing and shipping status.if anyone has any questions please feel free to call me up 1-800-457-6166.thanks Ray
Just an update. Thanks everyone for being patient (sp?) and the shifters should be with us tomorrow. That is if everything goes okay with UPS. The plates "should be ready Monday". If we have everything monday we will either try to call you and give you a tracking number or PM you so you have the Tracking number to track your package. It looks like everything is in the hands of the Machine shop that is making the plates for us. Ray is calling them everyday to make sure these things are ready on Monday.

Later,

Eric
Solid!

(I watched Undercover Brother and that damn phrase is stuck in my head)
Great guys to work with. I got lucky to get in on this deal.

Thanks
the plates are in my hands ,the shifters "should" be here today,which means shifters start going out first thing monday morning.ill keep you posted if i get them today or not.thanks Ray
everything is here ,i got 2 out today before ups left,the rest will be leaving the first of next week.Ray
Me.. Me..
Do you have the knobs too.. I read up that was an option just wondering if you had any extras.
Originally posted by twitztour:
Do you have the knobs too.. I read up that was an option just wondering if you had any extras.

We decided not to purchase any "knobs". Seems there was enough interest in our "knobs"

Later,

Eric
you guys way more than ROCK!!!!

the shifters are being sent out in the order i recieved payment.tommysvt and ghodge went out first.the rest will start going out monday.ssmumich00 you are #11 on the list
all shifters have left the building.ill be pming you guys as i get a chance with tracking numbers.if you need it before i get it to ya ,please dont hessitate to call.the only peice left to get out is ferns plate,hold tight ,its a comin'.thanks Ray
Thanks Ray.
Sweet deal!
Got mine today. Just kidding. LOL. Let us know when you start getting them and your thoughts.

Later,

Eric
WOW! I just got my tracking number and supposedly it was delivered to my house at 9:42AM this morning. Maybe I'll install it when I get home tonite!!!!
Posted By: csc99svt Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 09/09/03 02:50 PM
i dont have a tracking number yet....or a shifter...
got my tracking, thanks Ray!

Fastest GB yet, faster than the floor mat one I was in too. . .
amazing. . .
i dont have a tracking number yet....or a shifter...

You shifter was probably sent out yesterday from what I read. I'm sure Ray will get you a tracking number shortly. He's going thru the list in the order of who paid first. He even posted that you can call him directly if you wanted the tracking number.
Posted By: csc99svt Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 09/09/03 03:17 PM
i was just buggin him, no harm intended, just too much free time on my hands right now (i hate cancelled classes and nothing to do)....anyways, shifter to be delivered tomorrow, best group buy ever!
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 09/09/03 03:20 PM
his was being sent as those posts where rolling in.all shifters should be in there right places by the end of the week.all tracking #'s have been pmed but one and i tried to call and leave him a voice message,if you didnt recieve one please pm me and ill get it right to ya.thanks Ray
his was being sent as those posts where rolling in.all shifters should be in there right places by the end of the week.all tracking #'s have been pmed but one and i tried to call and leave him a voice message,if you didnt recieve one please pm me and ill get it right to ya.thanks Ray

If "right place by the end of the week" means installed in my car, then you are correct sir.
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 09/09/03 03:44 PM
you would be correct
Got my tracking number...delivery scheduled for today
Probably won't install until Saturday though no time this week

Thanks for a great group buy guys

Scott
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 09/09/03 04:43 PM
just to let you guys know,if i goofed up anyones tracking #,which seems very possible with me getting 20 #'s out today,just pm me or call me and ill get it right,hopefully
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 09/09/03 08:13 PM
Got mine! and haven't even got a Tracking No Yet.
(Helps that I live in NC )

Thanks guys looking forward to installing this shifter!
SO what do you think about the plate? I don't have a tracking number yet. Ray dosen't love me anymore.
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 09/09/03 10:27 PM
If I were at home I would tell you! My wife just told me it came in
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 09/09/03 10:42 PM
sorry eric i didnt ship yours again today,i was waiting to hear about that cluster that you forgot to call me on so ill do that tommorow for sure....maybe.hehehe
The plate looks very professional.

Due to a small family emergency, I wasn't able to install it tonite. Hopefully I can get it in tomorrow after work. I'm eager to row the gears with it.
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 09/10/03 01:42 AM
Plate Pics Here..

Pic1

Pic2

The piece looks very professional!

Anyone got a small walkthrough for doing this on the 'tour? I've never taken that area apart but the Focus Install Instructions look easy as pie
Posted By: MarcL99SVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 09/10/03 05:04 AM
I just wanted to thank Ray and Eric(and anyone else I missed) for all the time, money, and work they put into this. Thanks also for the quick replies to my PM's that I sent to both of you, which helped me get in on this at the last minute. You guys kick a##!

Take care,
Marc L.
99 SVT
Posted By: Barge Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/10/03 08:43 PM
OK, who else has thiers installed? I got mine installed in under an hour. Took it for a test drive and holy crap are those shifts a lot shorter.. especially 1-2.

Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/10/03 09:07 PM
heheheheh told ya glad to hear everything worked out for ya.did you ditch the centering spring and did everything look as you had expected?
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/10/03 09:51 PM
Originally posted by SVT Barge:
OK, who else has thiers installed? I got mine installed in under an hour. Took it for a test drive and holy crap are those shifts a lot shorter.. especially 1-2.

Glad to hear everything went well and you like it. Just think, you have yours installed and I still don't have a tracking number. LOL just fu@kin with you Ray. I'll call you tonight about the gauge cluster.

Later,

Eric
Posted By: Barge Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/10/03 10:09 PM
I left the centering spring at first because I thought it was fine... but couldn't get into 1st and 2nd very well.. and that was the problem so I took it off now. Only took like 15 minutes.
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/10/03 11:35 PM
welp,now were starting to hit the snags.so it does look like there are some differences in the model years,we have one 00' model that works and one that i know of that is totaly different,so im trying to figure a way to eleviate this problem,if anyone has any ideas,please feel free to jump in.Ray
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/10/03 11:48 PM
Anyone with a 2000 done this install yet? Or ever done a tri-ax install.
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 12:30 AM
I'm hoping to have mine done tonight barring any problems.
I already have the boot off and I'm not going to install the centering spring so I'm going to try to do it without removing the console.

Does anyone have any tips? Ray, what problems did that one 2000 run into?
Posted By: svtavino_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 12:39 AM
Well tried installing tonight with no luck. The shifter tower in my 2000 is all plastic. I am contemplating a plan of attack to get it to work. If I can figure out a way to raise the lever that pics location (1st 2nd and 3rd 4th and 5th reverse) then I should be able to machine some other parts to raise the rest up. I could also cut out the bottom of it but then I have a gaping hole into the bottom of my car. I am sure a lot of noise would come up that way. If it doesn't work I hope Ray will take a return? Or I will have to just stick it on the wifes car. I do have some pictures, if someone wants to put them up some where I can email them.
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 12:49 AM
I've got the same issue with the plastic tower. There is a guy on here who has done it before with some modding but apparently we don't need the 10mm plate.

We will need to lift it a different way the guy who did it is Y2KSVT
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 12:53 AM
I installed mine tonite. The only snags I had were from my stupidity ( like not putting the pin in until I had the new shifter bolted down AND half-hazardly screwing my Cougar knob on and not noticing I didn't have the threads lined up properly until I screwed it halfway on). I kept the ecntering spring out. It centers itself without it.

I have to admit, it snick-snicks nicely. My only gripe ( and this is a real small one), is that I have to reach a little to stick it in 5th. I'm super tall (6'7") so I have the seat all the way back and reclined for the cugine lean a little, LOL. I'll adapt soon enough. Other than that, I'm really happy with it.
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 12:55 AM
Originally posted by svtavino:
Well tried installing tonight with no luck. The shifter tower in my 2000 is all plastic. I am contemplating a plan of attack to get it to work. If I can figure out a way to raise the lever that pics location (1st 2nd and 3rd 4th and 5th reverse) then I should be able to machine some other parts to raise the rest up. I could also cut out the bottom of it but then I have a gaping hole into the bottom of my car. I am sure a lot of noise would come up that way. If it doesn't work I hope Ray will take a return? Or I will have to just stick it on the wifes car. I do have some pictures, if someone wants to put them up some where I can email them.

If you want, e-mail them to yostix@verizon.net and I'll gladly host them for you.
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 12:57 AM
The 2000's will all look like this from what I am told..

Pic1

Pic2

Well the plate would work for the pre 2000's because they have a different Shifter Base and its not plastic like ours. On ours someone has installed it but.. I'm not sure how and Ray is working on it ATM.
The 2000 guys can't use the 10mm plate however.

Thanks
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 01:01 AM
eric and i are trying to work on a resolution for this situation,it may take a couple of days to figure something out,but we are working on it.Ray
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 01:15 AM
Carazy suggestion, but it looks like that 1 piece plastic is 4 legs bolted to the tunnel part of the car. Can't you use four 1/4" washers to lift the whole assembly, or maybe even make a big plate to stick under the whole unit?

Just some thoughts.

*Edit - after looking at the pics a second time, it looks like the unit is riveted to the car. So maybe you can make a round plate to stick in that hole where the whole shifter unit slides down into that one piece unit. Then use the longer bolts to put that factory top plate on top. The shifter unit will stick up top, but if you dremel out the big hole in the plate that was shipped with the shifter, you may be able to make it work.

I'm tired so I hope that made sense.
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 01:20 AM
i was thinking the same thing tommy,but i dont know if it will clear the console then,hopefully twitz is coming to the shop on sayurday so i can take a look at it,as his is the only access i have to a 00' year model.
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 01:25 AM
i was thinking the same thing tommy,but i dont know if it will clear the console then,hopefully twitz is coming to the shop on sayurday so i can take a look at it,as his is the only access i have to a 00' year model.

Good luck, and I edited my post after looking at the pics a second time.
Posted By: svtavino_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 01:27 AM
Since it is one piece of plastic the bottom of it will come up with it. It could be cut out but it will be a hole to the heat shield below.
A new piece could be made to hold up the shaft in the front and a spacer can hold up the ball section. I will be looking into this.
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 01:35 AM
And here is SVTavino's pic. Looks like the best pic so far for describing the problem:
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 01:37 AM
im sorry guys this isnt working out with the 00' year models.im trying to get a fix asap.
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 01:56 AM
Hey man you didn't know and was more than willing to help me with it before you knew it was bad. We will get it in this weekend.
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 02:02 AM
WHEWWW thats the enthusiasm im looking for
Posted By: Kappa2006 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F - 09/11/03 03:56 AM
Hey everyone, I was originally on the list for this group buy but had some money issues and had to drop out. Now I finally have the money and wanted to let everyone know if there is anyone that doesn't want their shifter anymore because of installation problems ect. please pm me right away. I will immediately take it off of your hands. Just letting everyone know. Thanks a lot.
Posted By: 2kSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F - 09/11/03 05:12 AM
Got mine today,and I have a 2000 SVT . I have not yet jumped into mine, so I'm not familiar with the problem. There was a how-to in an old post(with pictures),not sure if it was a 2000.I was going to find and print that one in addition to the included instructions before I tackled mine. I had planned on installing mine tomorrow,but if there is a definite prob..maybe I'll hold off until you more mechaniocally inclined fellas find a fix.
Thanks to everyone involved with the GB, this went very smooth. You guys need to find another good quality bang for the buck upgrade and do it again. nice job guys

Rod
2kSVT
Posted By: csc99svt Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F - 09/11/03 12:27 PM
got mine yesterday evening, gonna install this weekend! thanks a bunch, best group buy i have ever seen around here.....
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F - 09/11/03 12:49 PM
I have a plate I won't need!
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F - 09/11/03 03:50 PM
guys once again id like to appologize on the 00' model plates and thanks to those who are stepping up to buy some of these guys plates.I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.Ray
Posted By: 2kSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 05:30 PM
The pics look like encripted mess from the MATRIX
I have a 2000, how do I view these pics?

Rod
Posted By: Nick98CSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/11/03 09:46 PM
Got mine today and just finished putting it in. But what is the dark piece with the 2 holes and the curved piece for.And my reverse lock out doesnt work either, I dont have to pull up anymore.
Posted By: csc99svt Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 01:39 AM
havent installed mine yet, but want to ask something....ray mentioned something on the phone about grease, but i noticed there is a little tube of lube in the box, do i still need extra grease??
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 01:43 AM
Nope that is the grease!
Posted By: csc99svt Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 01:47 AM
wow! 4 minutes.....thanks man!!
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 01:52 AM
No problem..
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Nickyd1298SVT:
Got mine today and just finished putting it in. But what is the dark piece with the 2 holes and the curved piece for.And my reverse lock out doesnt work either, I dont have to pull up anymore.

That is a spring assist thingie. It's supposed to work with the coil spring. You can leave it off as well as the coil spring you had to remove. I left my coil spring off and I can't even tell.

And for the grease, you will need about 1/2 to 2/3 of the tube. I covered the main ball as well as both little nubs wth a small smount.

As for the lock out not working: did you put back that metal pyramid piece that was attach to the bolt that is closest to the passenger rear of the car? If so, then the reverse lockout should work.
Posted By: SEVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 03:00 AM
I also missed the group buy, but am interested in a shifter and plate, and would be more than willing to take one off the hands of a 2000 owner who can't use it. Email me at jpeck@mn.rr.com if you have a shifter and plate to sell.

Jon Peck
'99 Contour SE(VT) Sport MTX
'93 Cobra SVT #2040
Posted By: 2kSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 03:49 AM
Just tried to install mine, and mine looks just like the pictures posted Now what do we do? I want this thing in my car Use the force...Ray

Rod
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 04:17 AM
got mine today, will install on the weekend, how do we take this thing apart?? Do we follow those Focus instructions or is there a how-to posted? If there is, call me a fool and let me know what page it's on. . .or something.

Thanks Ray! I'm a '98csvt so I should be ok, if not, I'll sell it to one of y'all. . .GB lurkers. . .
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 06:30 AM
For you guys with a 2000. I have a buyer for one of the plates here in San diego. Let me know who wants to sale theirs. We are still working on a remedy to the problem. Thank you for being patient.

Eric
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 12:40 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
got mine today, will install on the weekend, how do we take this thing apart?? Do we follow those Focus instructions or is there a how-to posted? If there is, call me a fool and let me know what page it's on. . .or something.

Thanks Ray! I'm a '98csvt so I should be ok, if not, I'll sell it to one of y'all. . .GB lurkers. . .

Just follow the Focus instructions. Removing the console helps dramatically. It's super easy to remove: pop the shifter cover off with a flat blade, slide both front seats fully forward and then jump in the back seat with a phillips head screwdriver. On both sides of the console towards the back are 2 screws that need to come out. Push one of the front seats back and pop the 2 snap ins that are under the front piece near the cupholders. You can easily see them in the pics posted above. Then lift and tilt the console towards the front and finagle the emergency boot cover forward and off the handle. It's very similar to removing a condom when your wang is still hard. Think baseball and it'll eventually slide off.
Posted By: csc99svt Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 12:53 PM
It's very similar to removing a condom when your wang is still hard. Think baseball and it'll eventually slide off.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: path914 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 01:34 PM
It's very similar to removing a condom when your wang is still hard. Think baseball and it'll eventually slide off.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 01:45 PM
Hey Ray and all the 2000 people that were wondering, I dug up Y2KSVT's old post where he said what he had to do to get the Steeda to fit...

Quote:

Well it all depends on what style of shifter tower you have if you need a riser plate. I want to take a look at the 98 style because it is different than my 2000. I have the Steeda in my car and it is not raised at all. I just took the exhaust heat shield down, took the whole shift assembly off and made a plate to go under the car and took the floor off the stock assembly. It's hard to explain but you just take off the plastic floor piece and put the shift assembly back on, then go up from under the car and screw the new plate on so the shifter has clearance.

Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 04:33 PM
what there an actual how to posted at some point by anyone, not necessarily in this thread. i'll be installing over the weekend and likely needing some instructions to follow or a howto. put the pin in, dont put the pin in......yadda yadda yadda
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 04:41 PM
Originally posted by hmouta:
what there an actual how to posted at some point by anyone, not necessarily in this thread. i'll be installing over the weekend and likely needing some instructions to follow or a howto. put the pin in, dont put the pin in......yadda yadda yadda

Just follow the included instructions and you'll be fine. Only differences: leave out the coil spring and that black piece of metal that was included with the kit.
Posted By: svtavino_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/12/03 08:18 PM
Originally posted by EvlBill:
Hey Ray and all the 2000 people that were wondering, I dug up Y2KSVT's old post where he said what he had to do to get the Steeda to fit...

Quote:

Well it all depends on what style of shifter tower you have if you need a riser plate. I want to take a look at the 98 style because it is different than my 2000. I have the Steeda in my car and it is not raised at all. I just took the exhaust heat shield down, took the whole shift assembly off and made a plate to go under the car and took the floor off the stock assembly. It's hard to explain but you just take off the plastic floor piece and put the shift assembly back on, then go up from under the car and screw the new plate on so the shifter has clearance.

This looked like one of the two ways I had thought of I just didn't want to get under my car and take that stuff apart. But maybe it will be easier than the plate I was going to make to raise the front shaft. I guess I will be looking at it this weekend.
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/13/03 05:48 PM
im sorry guys this isnt working out with the 00' year models.im trying to get a fix asap.

Hey Ray, were you guys able to figure anything out looking at the 2000? Or should I try and find someone with a 98/99 to sell mine to...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/13/03 08:00 PM
Nobody needs to sell their shifter... Just PM me and I can get give you a How-To on the shifter install... It's not hard and you won't need a "riser plate"... The plate goes under the car and won't raise the shifter at all... Just PM me if you need any help
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/13/03 08:55 PM
Originally posted by EvlBill:

Hey Ray, were you guys able to figure anything out looking at the 2000? Or should I try and find someone with a 98/99 to sell mine to...

You can still install the shifter you just don't need the plate. We are trying to find buyers for the plates. I believe that we have a few sold. We are still working on it. Thanks for being patient.

Eric
Posted By: svtavino_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/13/03 11:47 PM
Got the shifter in my 2000. I cut out the bottom and added a new piece on the bottom. Shifts great.
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/14/03 12:21 AM
svtavino,

Could you please elaborate on what you did to install the shifter? On what did you cut out the bottom and what did new piece did you add? Unfortunately I couldn't have my car down for any long periods of time to figure out what needed to be done so I'm relying on the experiences of those that have done it.

Thanks,

Posted By: 98.5_SVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/14/03 04:40 AM

Installed my shifter today, had a few issues but got everything worked out. The reverse lock out from the stock set up will not work with the steeda shifter because it is shorter, otherwise everything else is perfect. The 1-2 shift is really short!!
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/14/03 02:53 PM
He!! YEAH!!!glad to hear some of you guys are getting your shifters in.work has had me up to my ears in stuff to do so i havnt had any time to try and find a fix.it took me awhile to get my timing back with the 1-2 shift being so short,but now i love it.does anyones clutch release really high with an aftermarket clutch or stock clutch.thanks for all the help guys. Ray
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/14/03 03:09 PM
I would love to try this solution but have no way of getting under the car

If I could see what needed to be cut and such it doesn't sound too bad although I will probably seal mine once cut to prevent the elements getting to the inside if it goes that far.
Posted By: Barge Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/14/03 03:50 PM
The stock clutch releases really high... makes shifting a fast affair if you can get your timing down.
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/14/03 04:55 PM
Originally posted by SVT Barge:
The stock clutch releases really high... makes shifting a fast affair if you can get your timing down.

I also have it release high with a stock clutch. I am almost perfect with tapping the clutch peda to shift when running down the track. Once every blue moon I'll grind though.
Posted By: svtavino_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/14/03 10:01 PM
What I did to get the shifter in my 2000.

1. Take the top all apart after getting it on ramps or if you jack it doesn't matter.

2. Remove heat shield above exhaust I think there are 6 bolt things holding it on.

3. You will see where the shifter is. It has foam on the bottom. Scrape off foam. I then stuck a box knife through it from the bottom to see where I am and needed to cut. I then used a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut out a 3 to 4" by 2.5 to 3" hole.

4. Next you can assemble the shifter and make sure it doesn't hit the bottom floor of the tower where you cut out. I would leave the center console off till you are finished with the bottom half.

5. This step can be up to you I made a piece of plastic to go over the hole. I plan on getting some foam later to go on before the plastic. I don't think much water would get up where it is anyway but just in case.

6. Put the heat shield back on and finish reassembling the shifter and console.

7. Have fun shifting half the throw!

You may be able to cut it out from the top but it will probably be more difficult. Good luck!
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/15/03 08:08 PM
If I could get list started.

Who has shifter plates that they need to sale.

I am trying to make sure that we have all of them sold for you guys.

Twiztour - I think that I have yours sold.

Who else.

Also, who is still having problems getting theirs in?

Thanks,

Eric
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/15/03 09:06 PM

Who else.

Thanks,

Eric

I have a 2000 CSVT and have not attempted the install yet I was waiting for a solid install...I want it right not jerry rigged If I understand correctly I don't need or will not need the plate for my install so I guess I have a plate for sale as well

Scott

Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/15/03 10:34 PM
Originally posted by scottd60:

Who else.

Thanks,

Eric

I have a 2000 CSVT and have not attempted the install yet I was waiting for a solid install...I want it right not jerry rigged If I understand correctly I don't need or will not need the plate for my install so I guess I have a plate for sale as well

Scott

I believe the install listed above will be the best way to do it. I do not consider that a " Jerry riggied " install either. If you would like to contine to wait we are still trying to find a solution that either me or Ray has seen with our own eyes. Don't worry. I still don't have my shifter yet. It's on it's way. Thanks for being patient.

Eric
Posted By: Fern_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/16/03 12:17 PM
Perhaps these images would help for us 2000 owners.

Do we cut the hole in item 16?

The heatshield from underneath the car.
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/16/03 10:34 PM
thats the shifter that i have in my 98.5 that i did all the testing on,if thats the shifter you have, the plate will fit. im trying to get a password to log onto the ford computer and get some images of the newer style shifter assy but that is a good reference for the view of the lower section.
Posted By: Fern_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/17/03 03:04 AM
I took my shifter boot off when people started reporting the issue with the 2000 models. My shifter looked like the one that TommySVT posted earlier. Didn't really examine it well though. Were the metal shifter assemblies also painted black? Perhaps I should check again.

Those pictures were taken from the 2000 Ford Service Manual - the same pictures are used for Contiques and Cougars. So the picture above is of the metal tower?Weird.
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/17/03 12:39 PM
I took my shifter boot off when people started reporting the issue with the 2000 models. My shifter looked like the one that TommySVT posted earlier. Didn't really examine it well though. Were the metal shifter assemblies also painted black? Perhaps I should check again.

Those pictures were taken from the 2000 Ford Service Manual - the same pictures are used for Contiques and Cougars. So the picture above is of the metal tower?Weird.

Yeah, that exploded diagram is the older metal style and I'm amazed that it is from a 2000 manual.
Posted By: Fern_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/17/03 08:30 PM
I checked again. My shifter assembly is all plastic. I wonder what other things are incorrect in these service manuals.
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/17/03 11:19 PM
I checked again. My shifter assembly is all plastic. I wonder what other things are incorrect in these service manuals.

I wonder if Ford even knows what they used.

Let me know if anyone else wants to sale their plates.

Later,

Eric
Posted By: 2kSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/19/03 04:08 AM
Hey guys,anyone with a 2000 PM Y2KSVT..his how-to worked great. I did it in an afternoon,couple hiccups but nothing to major.I used a 1/4" thick piece of plexiglass cut to the size of the bottom of the tower.I siliconed the edge before putting it back on the car..should keep out the elements.The plastic star lock washer thing on the top left is a mutha to remove.I mangled it putting it back on.So I drilled a 5/64 hole in the gold pin and put a cotter key(retainer clip) in the hole. Anyone in Dayton/Cincy area..I got it down.Anyone local with pre 2000,I got a shiny riser plate for ya . Took it out for test drive, first to second is like 1" throw Works great thanks to myfastse,and Ray for this top notch GB. Special thanks to Y2KSVT for the info.

Rod
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/19/03 07:17 AM
Glad to hear we got another 2000 installed. I believe that we only have one left not installed. Hopfully ray can help him get it in soon.

Later,

Eric
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/19/03 02:11 PM
Glad to hear we got another 2000 installed. I believe that we only have one left not installed. Hopfully ray can help him get it in soon.

Later,

Eric

I have not installed mine yet...I have the instuctions from Y2KSVT and plan on giving it a try this weekend. Any reason for using plexiglass and not a piece of aluminum plate. I'm assuming it's because it is easy to cut if you don't have a machine shop available. I have machined, drilled and tapped plexiglass and it is very brittle and can crack real easy...lexan would be a better choice. I plan on making an aluminum plate...but I am seeing to different thicknesses...Y2KSVT used 3/8" thick plexiglass and 2kSVT used 1/4" plexiglass. Anybody know what the correct thickness should be If I get it figured out I'll make a drawing for the plate and send it to Ray. If I have time I'll make an extra plate and ship it to him for a template.

Scott
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/19/03 04:45 PM

Later,

Eric

I have not installed mine yet...I have the instuctions from Y2KSVT and plan on giving it a try this weekend. Any reason for using plexiglass and not a piece of aluminum plate. I'm assuming it's because it is easy to cut if you don't have a machine shop available. I have machined, drilled and tapped plexiglass and it is very brittle and can crack real easy...lexan would be a better choice. I plan on making an aluminum plate...but I am seeing to different thicknesses...Y2KSVT used 3/8" thick plexiglass and 2kSVT used 1/4" plexiglass. Anybody know what the correct thickness should be If I get it figured out I'll make a drawing for the plate and send it to Ray. If I have time I'll make an extra plate and ship it to him for a template.

Scott

I hope you are successful this weekend. Making that template would be sweet and very helpful for the next group buy.

Thanks,

Eric
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/19/03 05:51 PM
As I would like to install my shifter this weekend also, I was wondering how thick the plexiglass should be. I can get 1/4" easily but around here 3/8" might be a little difficult. Neither Home Depot or Lowe's has it.
I just looked at the riser plate and noticed that it has 6 holes in it. The kit only came with 5 bolts. Is one hole not used or am I missing a bolt. Thanks.
Posted By: 2kSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/20/03 04:24 AM
Hey guys, I got the 1/4 plexiglass at a glass store. I was trying for 3/8,but hard to find. I bought two 6"x10" pieces for $4. The plate's use is to cover the hole under the car.I cut both,but when I tried to install them stacked..The threads of the gold bolts did not stick out enough to put nuts back on. I silicones the edges and used one 1/4" piece. This is to just keep out the elements. The heat shield gets replaced,so there is little chance of must debris,water,etc getting in there.I still have the other pieces with holes drilled in it,ready to install. I just traced the bottom of the tower like Y2KSVT said,scribed with a utility knife and snapped of with pliers on the edge of the workbench.The aluminum should work o.k,just keep the thickness down.As it was with the 1/4 piece, I had the wife sit in the car and push down on the gold bolts while I threaded the nuts.Hope it helps you guys, the throw is nutty.

Rod
Posted By: RayWee Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/20/03 09:01 PM
hey baby sho,it only uses 4 bolts,i must have dropped an extra bolt in there by accident.
Posted By: Baby SHO Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/21/03 10:59 PM
hey baby sho,it only uses 4 bolts,i must have dropped an extra bolt in there by accident.

Thanks.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/22/03 11:50 PM
I installed my shifter on Friday in about 45 minutes total. I love it!

This means I had it at the track on friday night when I ran the 13.82@108.59 MPH! I'm not saying the shifter helped because I was still surprised when shifting that it was already in gear when I was shifting and it may have cost me a moments concentration.
Either way it is way cool!

Thanks guys.
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/24/03 12:01 PM
I have one of these that I won't be able to install and will let go. With plate.

Thanks
Posted By: Kappa2006 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/25/03 04:20 AM
I want it. I'll take it right away. Email me at BKap1180@postoffice.uri.edu. I want the shifter and the plate. Already have the money too so email me asap and I'll send it out to you. Thanks.

Brian
Posted By: twitztour Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/25/03 03:15 PM
You got a PM
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/26/03 06:24 PM
Finaly got my plate made up and my shifter installed! Works great and I even used the centering spring without any problems whatsoever For you guys with the 2000 SVT this is the way to go...it will not crack, break or leak. I used Y2KSVT's instructions and instead of using plexiglass I used a piece of .125 aluminum plate and a piece of .125 closed cell foam rubber for a gasket. If you have a 2000 SVT and are intersted in a plate PM me and we can work a deal.

With Y2KSVT's instructions as my guide here are the pic's I took throughout the install. You can also go to web page for the pic's and read the captions to each pic.

shifter ready to come out.

bottom of car with heat shield removed

shifter with Triax installed

this is the plastic bottom plate and foam gasket you reomve

here is my new aluminum plate and gasket

this is how it goes on the shifter

bottom of car with shifter in place

bottom of car with aluminum plate and gasket in place

new Triax shifter in car

Finished Steeda Triax Short Shifter install

What do you think?
Scott
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/26/03 06:54 PM
Scott,

I just started installing my shifter last night. What exactly needs to be disconnected to get the entire shift tower out. Do I just open the spring clip with a socket and pry outward the piece next to the centering spring to get rod out and lift the entire shift tower out? There is a rod coupling at the front/bottom of my shift tower and I wasn't sure how that gets disconnected. I don't want to break anything else (like the tabs that secure the ebrake boot).

Thanks,
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/26/03 08:07 PM
Originally posted by ghodge:
Scott,

I just started installing my shifter last night. What exactly needs to be disconnected to get the entire shift tower out. Do I just open the spring clip with a socket and pry outward the piece next to the centering spring to get rod out and lift the entire shift tower out? There is a rod coupling at the front/bottom of my shift tower and I wasn't sure how that gets disconnected. I don't want to break anything else (like the tabs that secure the ebrake boot).

Thanks,

Assuming you have it out of the car...spread the plastic fingers on the clip (careful they will break) and pull on the rod from the opposite side at the centering spring. Remove the 4 torx screws on the top and the shifter will pull right out of the housing.

When you put the new shifter in you will see that the bottom of the shifter is closer to the plastic plate on the bottom of the shifter housing. When the cable is attached it will rub. By removing the plastic plate and moving it to the outside (bottom of the car) you get the needed clearance to attach the cable.

Hope this answered your question.

Scott

Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/26/03 10:47 PM
Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I'm trying to figure out how you got the entire shift assembly out of the car before you disassembled it. How do you disconnect what looks like a rod or cable that goes to the front/bottom of the shift assembly?

Or is it as simple as just pulling up on the whole thing once I get it unbolted from the bottom of the car?

Thanks,
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/26/03 10:55 PM
I wish I could help but it has been so long since I put the B&M in my car. I haven't install the steeda yet.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/26/03 11:17 PM
Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I'm trying to figure out how you got the entire shift assembly out of the car before you disassembled it. How do you disconnect what looks like a rod or cable that goes to the front/bottom of the shift assembly?

Or is it as simple as just pulling up on the whole thing once I get it unbolted from the bottom of the car?

Thanks,

Remove the 4 nuts from under the car (see my pictures) after you pull the heat shield out of the way (you don't have to take it off). Take a large screwdriver and gently pry off the 2 shift cables (1 on the right side and 1 in the bottom of the housing). Where the 2 cables attach to the shifter housing there is 2 round pieces that are just in a slot...pull straight up on them and they will slide out. Now just pull the whole shifter assembly straight up and out of the car. Then follow my previous instructions to start and you can use the instructions that came with the shifter for the rest. It's pretty easy. When you put the centering spring back on make sure it is on either side of the black plastic tab on the housing or it will not work and the rod will not seat in properly for the gray spring clip to snap into place...you will see.

Good luck...hope that got it

Scott

Posted By: 2kSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/27/03 05:28 AM
That plastic clip, with all the fingers is a motha. Mine was all beat up when I tried to re-install it. I drilled a 5/64 hole in the end of the gold shaft(where the plastic thing goes)and put a cotter pin in there to keep the shaft in place.It's not that hard when you get in there. His pictures are very nice,mine looked the same,only I used 1/4 plexiglass to make my new plate,and siliconed the edges to keep out the elements.

Rod
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/28/03 01:22 AM
To Y2KSVT, Scott, Ray,myfastse, and everyone else,

Thanks for the help. I almost have things working on my 2000. I got everything assembled enought to try shifting and lo and behold, I can't move the stick from driver side to passenger side, just back and forth. I took off the four torx screws and pulled off the plastic piece and tried shifting. The stick would go left to right but the whole rubber covered nylon assembly would rise up.

When the kid goes to sleep I'm going out to look at things more closeley, but does anyone have a clue as to what could cause this? I've got the centering spring in and I think it's installed correctly. Could that be the source of the problem?

Thanks,
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/28/03 03:19 AM
I don't know if the cable that connects to the right of the shift tower was "kinked" or something but it decided to start moving. So currently the shifter is in minus the reverse lockout stuff. Right now I'm trying to fix my ebrake boot since I broke off all the tabs.

Thanks again all.

Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/29/03 06:17 AM
Any updates?

Let us know.

Eric
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/29/03 01:40 PM
Eric,

I don't seem to be very mod lucky these days. I got the shifter in and buttoned up except for the pin that keeps the reverse lockup piece from turning. I was trying to hammer it in when it fell off into never never land. I temporarily have it zip tied until I can get to the hardware store and A-team something together.

As far as driving impressions, I definitely like the short throw. The thing I don't like is that now I have increased effort getting the shifter into gear. I am running without the centering spring and the Steeda helper string. Could this be the cause of the increased effort? I do miss how the shifter used to just slip into gear.

I'm also wondering if the increased effort has anything to do with momentarily not being able to move the shifter sideways as I posted in a previous post. Is there some sort of cable adjustment I can do?

Thanks,
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/29/03 02:40 PM
ghodge, some thing is not right with your install. It is much easier to flip it into gear without the spring.
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F Installed - 09/29/03 03:01 PM
I was afraid someone was going to say that. Let the fun begin.

Could the heat shied somehow be causing some binding. I bent it up trying to get it out of the way. Maybe I messed something up bending it back into place.

Also, rather than disconnect everything at the time, I was able to lift up the shift tower enough to pull the plastic and foam piece from the bottom of the shift tower. Could this be a source of the problem?
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Victory At last. . . - 09/30/03 06:02 AM
For those of you who don't routinely blueprint your engines and have the prowess to tear through this install, here are some words of advice. . .

1. I started at 10pm. Not such a good idea, you need some descent lighting in there to get anything done, and with my bloody windows tinted, I felt like I was in the middle of Big Bend national Park at 2am with no flashlight.

2. Don't need to take the entire console apart, like it suggests taking the cigarette lighter, etc. apart. There are two tabs up front and two screws in the back. Don't need to worry about torx bit here either.

3. Be gentile with the ebrake. The tabs will pop off - and on a side note, HOW DID YOU GUYS REATTACH THE TABS??? Superglue, silicone?? What? So, pull the ebrake up all the way, and if you have a removable head unit for your stereo, take it out so you don't scratch it up accidentally.

4. Use an electric drill with a torx 30 bit to get the stock bolts off. Also, before you do this, disconnect the tabs, it's easier than I thought, just stick a THICK screw driver inbetween and yank the opposite way of the direction your pulling the shifter.

5. Get neoprene or latex gloves. Luckily I had some from lab, so I was set, but it's a goppy, gooooopey, nasty mess.

6. When taking apart the stock shifter, the centering spring is the little thing between the plastic housing to the right of the shifter and the actual aluminum casing. Take it off. I installed the whole thing with it on wondering where this magical spring that every speaks of falling off and guess what, if you're careful in taking everything apart, the spring will not come out unless you take it out. Don't lose any of the parts either.

7. Here's the KICKER, and it caused me to reinstall the whole damn thing a third time. Yes, THREE bloody times. If you plan on using the MOMO shift knobs that have a screw that seeds into the actual shifter, well, the stock plastic shifter ain't gonna cut it, it's too tall. So, you'll have to go with the aluminum one they give you. And you'll have to take apart the leather boot, that's what the zip ties are for. The directions don't point this out. So I sat there all cocky and confused wondering why I had to zip ties and a metal thing left in my kit. So I took it all apart, and installed it again. OH BUT WAIT, it gets better, that little metal pin to helps hold the new aluminum shifter attachment in place, you need to install that BEFORE you attach everything to the car. Otherwise, you'll spend an hour like me trying to figure out how to get a hammer in there to get the damn metal dowel in. I ended up using a zip tie through that little hole. I gave up trying to be a perfectionist at around 12am.

8. Once everything is in place, you're set. I was too lazy and didn't give enough of a [censored] to actually reglue the tabs on the ebrake. And I didn't have any superglue.

First impressions????

Well, I am short. Being 5'10", I felt like a little boy trying to drive with the thing.

The shifts are crisp, short, and very precise. I had a subtle grinding from 2-3 before probably because of some play in the stock shifter, which is now gone.

I can easily see one getting some sick 60' times with it, it seriously reduces shift time and effort. And it matches a fidanza flywheel perfectly, because at around 6.5k when the revs are flying, the flywheel is very light and lacks the rotational inertia to keep spinning, and the QUICK shifts from this steeda short shifter are fast enough to keep the engine up in that power band, while your mind still thinks it's a gear below it's in

PS, the order it goes so you know where the riser plate sits:

(a)Stock plastic thing where the torx bolts screw into,(b) stock metal braket, (c) riser plate, and (d) aluminum housing (from bottom to top). It may be obvious, it was to me, but it's worth mentioning. . .because I'm a rookie when it comes to this stuff and I like knowing EVERYTHING before I kill an evening . . .
Posted By: Barge Re: Victory At last. . . - 09/30/03 03:02 PM
Just a little note about the metal pin that holds the aluminum peice on. Hopefully everyone noticed that one end is smaller than the other (not to call everyone dumb or anything...). Also it went on pretty easily for me.. I just stuck the smaller end in by hand, enough so it wouldn't fall out then took some pliers and just pushed it on in.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 09/30/03 05:56 PM
one side did look smaller on mine, I actually tried to make it smaller to fit, still to no avail. . .but good point, thanks for mentioning that. . .
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 09/30/03 09:20 PM
and a side note to all who are reusing that centering spring...leave it off...it is hurting you not helping you at all....all that thing does is help move the shifter into neutral...which is only slowing down your whole shifting process...which is why you bought a short throw shifter is the first place...why use something that is only hurting you
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/01/03 03:15 PM
and a side note to all who are reusing that centering spring...leave it off...it is hurting you not helping you at all....all that thing does is help move the shifter into neutral...which is only slowing down your whole shifting process...which is why you bought a short throw shifter is the first place...why use something that is only hurting you

I don't know how it works on the pre 2000 SVT's but if installed properly on the 2000 it works perfect Hurting you...how can it possibly hurt your shifting if it is installed correctly It's just a little spring...it doesn't affect the shifting in any way whatsoever

I put 260 miles on my car in one day this past Saturday during the Capital CEG meet and did a ton of shifting some at pretty high speeds through some nice winding roads in VA and couldn't be any happier ALL my shifts were firm and quick with no miss shifts or grinding of gears!

Do the install right and don't rig anything and you won't be sorry

Scott
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/01/03 03:30 PM
I don't know how it works on the pre 2000 SVT's but if installed properly on the 2000 it works perfect Hurting you...how can it possibly hurt your shifting if it is installed correctly It's just a little spring...it doesn't affect the shifting in any way whatsoever

I put 260 miles on my car in one day this past Saturday during the Capital CEG meet and did a ton of shifting some at pretty high speeds through some nice winding roads in VA and couldn't be any happier ALL my shifts were firm and quick with no miss shifts or grinding of gears!

Do the install right and don't rig anything and you won't be sorry

Scott

Basically, the sping is useless. You can put it in, or leave it out. It's just that leaving it out will ever so slightly make it easier to stick it in any gear from the neutral position. It's a centering spring. That's all.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/01/03 04:10 PM
I am aware that it is a centering spring and what it does. All I am saying is if installed properly it works just fine and will not cause any problems. I didn't try it with it out so I can't compare the two. I am basically a perfectionist when it comes to some things so I like to try and install things the way they were designed, if I see a way to improve it I will usually give it a try if possible. As I said before...I couldn't be any happier with my install and the performance of my shifter

Enjoy the shifter centering spring or no centering spring

Scott
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/01/03 04:19 PM
With the Steeda shifter my shifting has gotten slower as I can't always get into 1st or 2nd reliably. I think I grinded twice yesterday trying to get into second. I don't know how the shifting mechanism works on the tranny side of the shift cables but it feels like the stick has to go further to the left (driver side) in order to slip into any gear easier.

I need to dig out my Ford repair manual cd to see if there is anything in there about adjustments. If not, I may have to take the Steeda out and throw the stock one back in until I can get things figured out. The Steeda shifter would be perfect if I could just get things to be as smooth as butter as it was with the stock shifter.
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/01/03 05:05 PM
I am aware that it is a centering spring and what it does. All I am saying is if installed properly it works just fine and will not cause any problems. I didn't try it with it out so I can't compare the two. I am basically a perfectionist when it comes to some things so I like to try and install things the way they were designed, if I see a way to improve it I will usually give it a try if possible. As I said before...I couldn't be any happier with my install and the performance of my shifter

Scott

then obviously you don't have a clue what the hell you are talking about either....it doesn't matter that its installed CORRECTLY....it is there to help pull the shifter towards neutral....which in turn makes it longer to shift between the gears period...it slows you down period....you don't need your shifter getting pulled toward neutral when you are trying to shift fast...

it doesn't matter that it came with it...my install is just as complete as yours is and i don't have the spring....and for that matter i was the second person on this site to install the steeda on a tour...i am not saying that the spring is hurting your car,but it is hurting your quick shifting...it is a worthless piece of metal,that hinders performance.....just because it came on the car doesn't mean it has to be on there for an install to be professional,and well done....

and btw demonsvt and others discussed this awhile back,and he stated that it is hurting not helping..and iirc he knows a few things about these cars...
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/01/03 05:55 PM

Scott

then obviously you don't have a clue what the hell you are talking about either....it doesn't matter that its installed CORRECTLY....it is there to help pull the shifter towards neutral....which in turn makes it longer to shift between the gears period...it slows you down period....you don't need your shifter getting pulled toward neutral when you are trying to shift fast...

it doesn't matter that it came with it...my install is just as complete as yours is and i don't have the spring....and for that matter i was the second person on this site to install the steeda on a tour...i am not saying that the spring is hurting your car,but it is hurting your quick shifting...it is a worthless piece of metal,that hinders performance.....just because it came on the car doesn't mean it has to be on there for an install to be professional,and well done....

and btw demonsvt and others discussed this awhile back,and he stated that it is hurting not helping..and iirc he knows a few things about these cars...

Well my smart a$$ friend...obviously you must have very weak spindly little arms that can't maneuver around a little spring since it seems to pull your limp wrist back into neutral uncontrollably. I could really care less if you were one of the 1st to install the Steeda shifter or not that certainly doesn't make you any sort of an expert whatsoever. I also don't care about your references to other members either, I know there are guys on this board that know a thing or two about these cars and there are also some that don't have a clue...that was not the point. I didn't say anything was wrong either way I just simply stated that mine works perfect and I like it the way it is. Don't tell me I don't know what the hell I'm talking about when you have no friggin' clue who I am or anything about me. I was probably working on cars long before you were done crapping in your diapers. You have a 98, I have a 2000 they are different and I said that I didn't know how the shifter works on the pre 2000 cars and I also said I didn't try it without the spring either. So why don't you just back off and leave it alone
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/01/03 06:24 PM
With the Steeda shifter my shifting has gotten slower as I can't always get into 1st or 2nd reliably. I think I grinded twice yesterday trying to get into second. I don't know how the shifting mechanism works on the tranny side of the shift cables but it feels like the stick has to go further to the left (driver side) in order to slip into any gear easier.

I need to dig out my Ford repair manual cd to see if there is anything in there about adjustments. If not, I may have to take the Steeda out and throw the stock one back in until I can get things figured out. The Steeda shifter would be perfect if I could just get things to be as smooth as butter as it was with the stock shifter.

(1) Did you put enough lube on the main ball??
(2) Did you coax it around a bit once you got the two plastic pieces back on to get it nice and evenly ditributed?
(3) Did you pop the main shift cable on correctly?

Check for all of that, just in case. . .that's weird, real weird, might be a tranny related problem, I dunno. Is your shift cable at the end of its life? What about the shift cable bushings? Replaced recently?

Oh, about the flame war on the centering spring, to each his own, seriously guys. . .it will quicken the shift, no doubt since I installed it both ways and found out the hard way, but it's a matter of preference. . .

Suneil
Posted By: twitztour Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/01/03 11:57 PM
Quote:

For real.. I mean that spring matters not either way.. it just puts it back neutral and if it slows your shifting down you must be 120lbs soaking wet..

Sounds like you've got "Spring" Envy :P
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/02/03 04:01 AM
funny how the little whiney newbies have to resort to personal insults...geez real mature....(scottd,and twitztour to be exact).....wow it must make you feel realy good to insult someone on the internet huh???? boy i really respect you now yall are real tough guys...

i mean damn its a FACT that the spring helps pull the shifter towards neutral,and it somewhat hinders shift speed PERIOD no matter how strong you are makes no difference,it still pulls the shifter towards neutral...

i have done nothing but try and help out,and give some tips to the people running this gb,and to buyers since this gb was started....and now 2 little winey a$$ newbies come on this thread and insult me...whatever...

and btw mr. anal perfectionist,you also don't know everything about the subject either....with you on here trying to make others feel like they did theirs half a$$ed by not putting the spring back on....with you whining about how i believe you said "i am a perfectionist,and don't do things halfway",and whatever else you were dribbling out of your whiney little smart a$$ thinking you know it all mouth....

and btw i have installed more than one of these shifters for other members,so maybe i do know a little more about it than you think i do smart guy...and unless you are about 60 years old i hardly think you were working on cars when i was in diapers....

get a life just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you have to personally insult them...so if you'd like to keep insulting me mr. know it all then please send me a pm instead of wasting this thread with insults...and i hope you feel like a big man now,insulting someone over the internet

and btw why don't you pm demonsvt and ask him about the centering spring,and see what he says...and like it or not he DOES know alot about these cars,probably more than you do...
Posted By: RayWee Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/02/03 04:35 AM
the spring really is a personal preference.ive had it in and out and the install is fine either way.i personally think shifting is easier for me without the spring,but ive never put a clock on it and tried to record the shifts and even if it does help its so small its prolly' not even noticable.as long as your hitting the gears properly it shouldnt really make a difference.
Posted By: twitztour Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/02/03 12:47 PM
LOL! I haven't insulted anyone.. you are the one getting all bent about a spring as I recall and I have been trying to help everyone since day one.

I took pics of the plate and it won't work for my 2000.. I'm selling it and the plate to a guy who can use it since I don't have a lift to get under the car with.

The only one that looks like a "jack-ass" is you my friend.

I don't think the spring matters either way but for you to get all offended and talk about people not knowing this and that and that the spring is a hinderence to shifting, well I'll let your statement stand on its own. If you can put it in and pull it out and prove a time difference by all means give us your scientifical data on the matter.

Edit: Just take a look back at the posts and the order of events "chrissilversvt", you start off calling names and crap on a useless either way spring. BAH!
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/02/03 03:56 PM
Why don't you cry to somebody that might care...maybe your mommy perhaps As "twitztour" said you started the whole line of insults. Go back and read the posts A$$h0le and see for yourself. Not once did I say it was a mistake to leave the spring out or that it was a "NON-PROFESSIONAL" install nor was I even speaking about...for the 3rd time "PRE-2000" installs. The 2000 models are completely different from the 98-99, Ray didn't know it and neither did "myfastse". As one of the 2000 owners that purchased the Steeda shifter we had to find ways to make it work or send it back. With the help of "Y2KSVT" I fabricated an aluminum plate and gasket to make the install work on 2000 SVT's ONLY! I am also sending a plate to Ray for future Steeda sales to 2000 SVT owners to try and HELP out with the unforeseen situation that came about. The guys with the 2000 SVT's were writing in asking questions on how to do the install. Some tried the spring, some didn't. I simply stated that it will work if you install it correctly in the 2000 SVT's nothing more.

Why do you keep throwing "demonsvt" in this...he is not in this discussion and NEVER, I must repeat since you are such a hard head NEVER did I once question his knowledge....read the post, so leave the others out. Just because you have done a few installs doesn't impress me. The install on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest IMHO is a big fat "1". So even if you put in 50 of them I'm still not impressed with your knowledge and so called expertise. I didn't brag about my install nor did I claim to KNOW-IT-ALL, I just tried to help out some others with their questions

No, I'm not 60...42 to be exact, so if you are older then you claim try acting your age for a change. Nothing tough speaking over the internet from me just replying to your smart a$$ comments. Unfortunately we can't speak in person so this is the only option. Face to face I will have no problem whatsoever telling you the same

Call us newbies if you like but we all have to start somewhere. Don't brag about your Hard-Core status...you've just had a little more time to post endless amounts of useless crap day after day. All it is is post count buddy...it doesn't make you any smarter or any better than the rest on the board

Like I said before...let it go. You are not helping the GB or the 2000 SVT install issues, you are just padding you Hard-Core post status
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/02/03 04:01 PM
the spring really is a personal preference.ive had it in and out and the install is fine either way.i personally think shifting is easier for me without the spring,but ive never put a clock on it and tried to record the shifts and even if it does help its so small its prolly' not even noticable.as long as your hitting the gears properly it shouldnt really make a difference.

Ray,

Sorry for all the crap on this GB. As I stated, my shifter is in and I love it...you were 100% on the money
I have a plate made up for the 2000 SVT install that I would like to send to you for a template and future sales. PM me with a address and I will put it in the mail. Check out my post with pic's of the plate and gasket.

Thanks again,
Scott
Wow, the shifter gets a little cold in the fall.

I need to hold my knob differently now.
Wow, the shifter gets a little cold in the fall.

I think mine had some frost on it this morning

hum...I wonder if my tongue will stick to it
Posted By: Pienstars Re: Victory At last. . . - 10/03/03 02:43 PM
Why don't you cry to somebody that might care...maybe your mommy perhaps As "twitztour" said you started the whole line of insults. Go back and read the posts A$$h0le and see for yourself. Not once did I say it was a mistake to leave the spring out or that it was a "NON-PROFESSIONAL" install nor was I even speaking about...for the 3rd time "PRE-2000" installs. The 2000 models are completely different from the 98-99, Ray didn't know it and neither did "myfastse". As one of the 2000 owners that purchased the Steeda shifter we had to find ways to make it work or send it back. With the help of "Y2KSVT" I fabricated an aluminum plate and gasket to make the install work on 2000 SVT's ONLY! I am also sending a plate to Ray for future Steeda sales to 2000 SVT owners to try and HELP out with the unforeseen situation that came about. The guys with the 2000 SVT's were writing in asking questions on how to do the install. Some tried the spring, some didn't. I simply stated that it will work if you install it correctly in the 2000 SVT's nothing more.

Why do you keep throwing "demonsvt" in this...he is not in this discussion and NEVER, I must repeat since you are such a hard head NEVER did I once question his knowledge....read the post, so leave the others out. Just because you have done a few installs doesn't impress me. The install on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest IMHO is a big fat "1". So even if you put in 50 of them I'm still not impressed with your knowledge and so called expertise. I didn't brag about my install nor did I claim to KNOW-IT-ALL, I just tried to help out some others with their questions

No, I'm not 60...42 to be exact, so if you are older then you claim try acting your age for a change. Nothing tough speaking over the internet from me just replying to your smart a$$ comments. Unfortunately we can't speak in person so this is the only option. Face to face I will have no problem whatsoever telling you the same

Call us newbies if you like but we all have to start somewhere. Don't brag about your Hard-Core status...you've just had a little more time to post endless amounts of useless crap day after day. All it is is post count buddy...it doesn't make you any smarter or any better than the rest on the board

Like I said before...let it go. You are not helping the GB or the 2000 SVT install issues, you are just padding you Hard-Core post status

Well put!!!!

that's what she said. . . sorry, couldn't resist, back to your regularly scheduled flame war between noobs and vet's. . .
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Steeda Tri-Ax/F group buy w/ Pricing - 10/04/03 10:59 AM
I want a shifter damn why am I always so slow?
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 loose movement w/ center spring removed? - 10/05/03 08:55 PM
so u guys who remove it, does the shifter feel loose when in neutral. does it hang in the ctr or lean towards the left or right. i read the 2-3 assist bracket does not fit the tours. cuz i cant figure out where the hell it would go. doesnt line up w/ anything
Originally posted by hmouta:
so u guys who remove it, does the shifter feel loose when in neutral. does it hang in the ctr or lean towards the left or right. i read the 2-3 assist bracket does not fit the tours. cuz i cant figure out where the hell it would go. doesnt line up w/ anything

I removed it and the shifter still finds the middle of meutral. but I did notice that with the spring out, the up-down shifts like the 1-2 and the 3-4 seem easier.
Posted By: ElKy Re: loose movement w/ center spring removed? - 10/06/03 02:40 PM
i left the spring in, cuz i like it.
but i had to modify the tower for it to work.
and i am not sure i like the height of the shifter.
it seems like the shifts are the same as with the B&M.
i think i will be modifying the steeda to matchthe B&M from the fulcrum up to the knob.
and use the B&M reverse lock-out slide.

and my kustom shift knob doesnt fit over the lock-out slide!
blah!
i tested without the spring in my driveway. putting it in 4th seems kinda funny. i'll test it but may end up putting the spring back in.
© CEG Archives