Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/03/03 09:26 PM
I'm doing an interest check on sunroof gear replacements. Since Ford only sells the entire motor assmbly and many have sought just the gear I've got access to a manufacturer of plastic parts to make replacements. Tooling costs will be an issue and will directly impact the individual cost of the parts. An order of 100-200 pieces at a minimum would be needed to even make this more cost effective than replacing the whole motor. Rough estimate on price at 100 pieces is around $60-70 and probably close to half of that for 200 pieces. Obvisouly if this goes over big and we get more pieces sold then the price drops even more. Post here if you're interested and the quantity you'd be interested in. This would be a pre-pay group buy with funds being sent to me and then the part would be manufactured paid for and sent out by me (Buckshot Motorsports). I'll be sending the part out this week to get a better cost estimate.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/03/03 11:13 PM
i'd be interested...
Posted By: onosway Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/04/03 12:01 AM
I'm interestest even though i'm under warranty - after forced induction I'm puling my ESP.
Posted By: Krafty_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/04/03 12:23 AM
IIRC Qbert found the part numbers for the just the gear assembly and the prices were relatively cheap, though I'm not sure if he ever did get around to ordering them or not. If you do a search in the General forum you should be able to find out more info about his search.

Not trying to ruin your GB, just passing along some info to make your life easier
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/04/03 01:35 AM
Yeah, it was the wrong part number though...it was for the other gear in the assembly. The nylon gear that strips is concidered part of the motor, not the gear assembly.
Posted By: FlechaAutoSports Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/04/03 11:43 AM
interested
Posted By: DDV Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/04/03 01:17 PM
Would it be possible to investigate the costs for having the gears made of brass? Replacing plastic for plastic doesn't seem to make sense.

Regards,
David
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/04/03 01:37 PM
Brass, would be even more expensive than the plastic and with the limited quantities we're thinking of producing it would be more expensive than the motor assembly.

Rick
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/04/03 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Brass, would be even more expensive than the plastic and with the limited quantities we're thinking of producing it would be more expensive than the motor assembly.

Rick

I'm very concerned about weight and c of g, can we get them in titanium or magnesium?

j/k
Interested even though I've got a brand new motor on shelf...it's only a matter of time isn't it?
Posted By: DDV Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/04/03 02:44 PM
I'd be interested in at least two sets.
Posted By: Speed Demons_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/04/03 03:52 PM
Interested...
Posted By: Lehinger Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/05/03 12:37 PM
I am interested in 2 sets...
THX!
Lee
Posted By: musicnut_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/05/03 06:20 PM
Count me in for one or two gears. I need one now, and depending on price, would seriously consider a spare.
Posted By: Doug Christman Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/05/03 09:59 PM
I am interested too.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/06/03 04:11 AM
You know I need one Rick.
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/06/03 12:04 PM
I'd be interested in a couple because I think I'm gonna need a new one soon. I get a little shimmying when I open mine.

Am I understanding this correctly though that it's no more than 70 bucks for a 100 of these? Cheapie cheap.

Mike
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/06/03 02:47 PM
Good lord, if this could happen it would go down as the best maintenance-related group buy EVER. No, friggin doubt. The thought of never having to replace a perfectly good motor for the sake of cheap azz gears.... I've got to clean myself.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/06/03 02:56 PM
Interested in a couple.
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/07/03 03:32 PM
I'm interested in a few as well.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/10/03 12:38 PM
Originally posted by 69Boss302:
I'd be interested in a couple because I think I'm gonna need a new one soon. I get a little shimmying when I open mine.

Am I understanding this correctly though that it's no more than 70 bucks for a 100 of these? Cheapie cheap.

Mike

No, you've got the pricing structure backwards. At an order quantity of 100 units total, each piece would probably run about $70 to the end user. Still about half the cost of the actual motor replacement. I didn't get a chance to get the gear out for pricing this week and I'm heading to Michigan for the SVT Experience tomorrow so I'll update pricing in about 1-1.5 weeks.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: FlechaAutoSports Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/10/03 12:42 PM
I'm still very much in!
Posted By: S9V8T Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/10/03 10:09 PM
Im in on a couple as well depending on the price
Posted By: 303GreenDestiny Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/16/03 06:09 PM
I'm in, cuz I definitely need right now.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/20/03 12:38 PM
Hey guys,

I just got back a couple days ago from the SVT Experience so I'll try and get the motor pulled out and apart this weekend to send off the gear for pricing.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/26/03 04:47 PM
I'd definitely buy one out of a 200 run batch.
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/26/03 05:07 PM
I'm very interested. Mine just completely died a couple days ago (2nd time, both times w/ roof cracked up).

Rick

True, but they would never break again. Might be worth it.
Posted By: SVTContourLover1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/26/03 05:10 PM
Originally posted by musicnut:
Count me in for one or two gears. I need one now, and depending on price, would seriously consider a spare.

Same for me
Posted By: Darren G_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 06/30/03 08:59 PM
Well my motor seems to have quit today. I think that with the summer weather we should be able to get enough interest to make it worth it for everyone. I just hope we can get more than a hundred to drive the price down even more. Don't let this one die, please!
Posted By: Speed Demons_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 07/01/03 06:24 AM
Interested (pending price)
Posted By: auiotour Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 07/01/03 02:07 PM
I want a faster sunroof, any of you know how. I would love to buy a faster motor.
Posted By: svtsoboss Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 07/02/03 12:35 PM
very intrested.......
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 07/07/03 07:27 PM
The part has been shipped to the production company for pricing so hopefully I'll know something in the next couple weeks.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 07/14/03 07:48 AM
Are the Sunroof Gears the same for the Focus ?

If they are, I may be interested in getting a set for my wife's Focus,
for when her gears die...
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 07/15/03 04:29 PM
Bad news guys, the first quote I got was in the range of $10,000 for the tooling alone. I'll be doing a little more searching, but so far it doesn't look like this will be a viable option.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 07/15/03 04:51 PM
Bad news guys, the first quote I got was in the range of $10,000 for the tooling alone. I'll be doing a little more searching, but so far it doesn't look like this will be a viable option.

Thanks,
Rick

damn...i was looking foreward to fixing my sunroof...oh well guess its time to search the junkyards...
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 07/15/03 05:01 PM
I'll keep working on it. I've got another person that might be interested in buying some to stock, so if that's the case, I might be able to manufacture enough to get the individual unit cost down.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: Sunroof Gear Replacements - 07/15/03 05:31 PM

It shouldn't cost that much just to make a mold from a plastic gear ?
After all that's all they need to pour the Bronze into.
© CEG Archives