Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Hey Guys,
Better late than never, we're finally read to make the first prototype true dual exhaust system. For those that do not remember. About 6 months ago, there was alot of interest in a true dual exhaust system. At that time, we were not able to design a kit and mentioned Spring would be the first chance we have for a kit.

Well i know we are alittle into Spring already, sorry for the delay. Anyhow, we would like to handle this in a 3 step process, because of the time involvement needed for this kit.

The first step... We would like to have a show of hands who are interested in this kit. (If you have already expressed your interest, humor us and express it one last time, LOL).

Step two... In about 2 weeks, after we have a show of hands we are then going to ask for a small deposit. A small amount, of which is completly refundable should something go bad on our side of the deal. The reason we ask for the deposit, is because of the cost and time involved in this style of kit. We know the kit would be unique, and only afew would even want the kit. Basically this is a kit we would have never made on our own, and we are doing so, because of the request of CEG members.

Step three... After deposits are collected, we expect to have a prototype ready within 1-2 weeks. Then we will finish collecting orders, and the kits are yours.

So if i can get a show of hands now, just for interest and seriousness, then we can get the ball rolling.
Also, feel free to post any questions you have. And remember, this kit is being designed for you guys, we are open to suggestions on what your looking for. Obviously, we will reject the impossible suggestions and stuff that simply will not work. i.e. dont suggest a price tag of $50.00, dont suggest a tube diameter of 3 inches, dont suggest the kit having 8 mufflers. LOL

have a great day
josh
TruBendz Tech.
How's aboot 1.75 inches for 2.5 liter guys, 2.00-2.25 inches for 3liter/sc/tc guys. Price tag for group buy...hmm...$499+shipping for 20 people and $449+shipping for 30 people...a bit low, I know.
I might jump on the deal if it has those price tags on it... I am interested if i can get the money together.
I'm interested, but curious about a couple things.
1. How much do you consider a "small deposit"?
2. What kind of mufflers (and res.) and such do you plan on using or is that somehting left up to us to decide?
3. What size pipe are you planning to run?

Like I said, I'm interested as exhaust is on my summer mod list, but if you could answer these questions that would help me a lot, and probably a few others as well. Thanks.
here is my hand....

:insert me raising hand here:

i was gonna buy an exhaust from you guys later this summer anyways......i like deposits and payments better, it is easier......
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
I'm interested, but curious about a couple things.
1. How much do you consider a "small deposit"?
2. What kind of mufflers (and res.) and such do you plan on using or is that somehting left up to us to decide?
3. What size pipe are you planning to run?

I am with im on what the "small deposit" is what kind of mufflers and if we can get a choice of tips.. I was going to do a custom magnaflow system... but if I can get what I want here.. than I like it..
If this GB is for all mandrel bent exhaust w/ straight through resonators and mufflers, then I would be in. Aluminized or staineless would be fine. 1.75", 2", or 2.25" would be good sizes too........hmmmm what else......perhaps a choice of no tips so we can get our own or maybe a choice of tips....
i was stoked about this before, and still am. . .as for a small deposit, $50-100 is reasonable, since that'll be deducted from the final cost anyhow. . .

as for a setup, I've had my fair share of LOUD exhausts, I would like a system with straight flow cat's and straight flow resonators (like magnaflow's). . .

I'm assuming this will hook up fine with a turbocharger, right?

Oh yeah, as for sizing, I'm game for the biggest size available since I'm tc'ing in a year. . .

Suneil
Interested, but need for it to work with MSDS Headers and be Mandrel Bent.
You probably should have a choice between stainless or aluminized, with different prices of course.
Originally posted by ssmumich00:

I'm assuming this will hook up fine with a turbocharger, right?

Actually, a true dual setup is not compatible (at least the SF kit) since both exhaust manifolds come together before the turbo to provide energy for the turbo. Only way a true dual setup would work is if you ran a dual turbo setup or ran a single turbo off of one bank of cylinders.

IIRC, trubendz does offer a turbo sized catback kit (3" piping)....at least they do for the Cougar, not positive if it is available for the Contour.
I'm interested. As for the sizes, what's the SVT exhaust piping size? Because that's what I have, and I obviously don't want it smaller.
Originally posted by 97CS:
I'm interested. As for the sizes, what's the SVT exhaust piping size? Because that's what I have, and I obviously don't want it smaller.

The stock size is 2 1/4. But you have to remember that is for both banks. For true duals you wouldn't need one as big, I'm guessing 2" true duals would work for the majority of the people.
Good point, yeah I'll settle for 2".
Count me in as long as it will mork with MSDS Headers.

And thank you for showing us some support.
please please come out with a single exit setup for zetecs!

how much would u sell just the pipes with no mufflers for (2.25 inch.)??? I need a setup for my zetec.

sorry kinda off topic
you can still do a true dual but with 2 pipes out one outlet...
yes I know, but I don't want that.
I thought this was a group buy for true duals? hmm..

anyways.. does anyone have any idea how this will sound at highway cruising speeds? will it be too loud and get annoying?
mark me as interested depending on price and whether i can afford it, etc...

my concerns are sound...not obnoxious in the cabin but strong and american or euro v8 soundish...not ricey or fartcan style
My understanding is that this is a show of hands of who would be interested. Thus far we don't know much of anything about the system as far as sizing, mufflers, res or anything of that nature, so no one knows how it will sound going down the road yet. Just a show of hands for now and then more will come later, as stated in the first post.
i already raised my hand...
i have a 2' true dual set up. gutted precats and no main cat. with 2 resonators and 2 mufflers (all straight through) its not that loud. drone is not an issue for me even. much better then my 2.25 quasi dual with precats and 2 mufflers only.

sound on the highway is not bad, cant hear it too much with the stereo going on an average level.

so the 2 inch is the way to go then.. would 2.25 true dual be too much and cause you to actually lose power?
Hand raised, but I need more details. See above.

Mark
what about your system mark?
hey guys,
here's some more information on the system. we've pretty much already got an idea of what the system will be, we were just interested in your ideas also.

- most likly it will be 2 inch, we can easily make a 1.75 inch system also. I highly doubt it will be 2.25 inch, for many of the reasons already listed. regardless of size, there is no price difference. as with all our cougar/contour kits, we never charge more for a size (except 3 inch).

- we will offer the kit in aluminized and SS.

- muffler options will probably be flowmaster, borla, and magnaflow. (our 3 normal muffler options).

- the tips... i have no idea, we probably wont know about the tips till the last second. most likly there will be several options, or an option to buy a kit without tips. (the tips are not a big concern at this point, HEHE).

- using cats... this is also not confirmed. i know this part of the kit is a big concern, but we still have yet to determine what and how they will be used. i do know, we will have a kit available without cat(s) and one kit that will have cat(s). our design phase will lead us to a more concrete answer <---in roughly 2-3 weeks.

- price... if you look at our website under the t-bird kits, these kit will be roughly the same price. this group buy price WILL BE LOWER. we will not have an exact price for about 2-3 weeks, once we figure out more how the kit will be made. please keep in mind when you view the prices, this kit involves alot of tubing, bends, etc. it also involves an x-pipe, as well as two mufflers. <--- i'm just trying to avoid the response "holy cow that kit is expensive" LOL.

- one last thing. it will work with stock or MSDS headers. it will not work with a turbo, i suggest the 3 inch single kit for the turbo. it will bolt in factory location also. the sound is estimated to be rather low, although we are not 100% sure. but we will have the 3 muffler options to help.

have a great day.
for now, the more hands we see, the more at ease we are with making the kit. in 2-3 weeks, we'll start deposits, as well as have much more concrete info about the kit. (desposit will be something like $100.00 <--- less if alot of people commit)

have a great day
josh
TruBendz Tech.

sounds good josh, keep us posted and as long as everyone stops trying to dictate to you how to run your business and group buy maybe we will get somewhere pretty fast.......
Cool, thanks for the info. Would there be any chance of getting one without the mufflers/tips if we want to get a differnt company than the 3 mentioned? maybe as an option in addition to the 3 brands of mufflers offered?
Figured someone will eventually ask it, so I might as well. I assume the X-pipe will be placed correctly since there has been lots of talk about that on this site. No X is better than a badly placed one.

Also is there any chance that you will get some sound clips with the different types of mufflers during the design phase for our ears enjoyment and to help us pick our mufflers. I'm leaning towards magnaflows personally so that's what I'd like to hear, though it would be nice to compare the borla's to them.

count me in. i've been waiting for this exhaust, i don't know how much longer my stock set-up will last!!
Hand raised, but still thinking!
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
Cool, thanks for the info. Would there be any chance of getting one without the mufflers/tips if we want to get a differnt company than the 3 mentioned? maybe as an option in addition to the 3 brands of mufflers offered?

w3rd
Definately in the market for an exhaust system.

Two things for me though.. its got to gain a few HP/TQ. And (i know this is tough with a new development, but) sound clips are a MUST. I generally don't agree with the comments of others on exhaust sound and need to hear it for myself.
This is going to be a first for our cars.. so an exact sound clip is going to be hard

So let me get this straight.. the prices on this is going to be in the 900 dollar range? Makes me reconsider...
For full stainless it should be, but for aluminised it looks like it'd drop well below 700
Originally posted by Kevdogg410:
This is going to be a first for our cars.. so an exact sound clip is going to be hard

So let me get this straight.. the prices on this is going to be in the 900 dollar range? Makes me reconsider...

Dont forget Full stainless w/ two cats and x-pipe. They offer several options.
Hand Raised...
Are you planning dynos pre/post on prototype?

BTW, thanks for doing this....FINALLY, somebody makes (hopefully) something beyond another variant of the factory quasi-dual exhaust.
Hand raised.

Do you need a CSVT to test out the exhaust on? Mine is stock and would have no problem with a free exhaust kit
*raises hand*

I'm interested
any updates?

ttt.........
I'm in the market for a y-pipe anyways, but a true dual exhaust would be better. I'm interested, but need to see how the prototype system pans out.
I'm interested... but my main concern is money ... how much is a small deposit and how much is the total package going to be ?
this is just a guess..but a good one at that... 100 bucks deposit.. system will be around 8 or 9
UPDATE:

well im gald to see the interest is still there for the kits. here's the plan now... 6 months ago, we didnt have the time to even consider the kit. now we have time to consider the kit and see there is still interest in the kit. in the coming weeks, we'll actually have a car on the lift and see what our best plan of attack will be. our only major concern is one that has already been raised, which is placement of the x-pipe. mufflers, tube size, tips, are all easy variables, LOL.

so as for now, hang tight for the next few weeks, and we'll see what we can come up with. after the car is up and we have a design, we will have more concrete info for price, style, options, etc.

have a great weekend guys
PS: during this process, we also plan on having 01+ y-pipes available. and for those not interested in the true dual kits, dont forget we also have our new "resonated duals" already available. TruBendz "Contour Kits"

josh
TruBendz Tech.
With your true dual design what are you doing with the Y-pipe? Are you making the system that includes the tubing to bolt right up to the exhaust manifolds. I had previously thought that that brullen equal length Y with the Y cut off would be good for a true dual because maybe the equal lengths would help line up the exhaust pulses... but then again, I really don't know if that's a sound theory.

I want one!!!!!!!!
Josh, what year contour are you using for the mock up? There is a change in piping between the 98s and the 99+ IIRC. Check out the Brullen group buy and don't let the same thing happen to these kits!
I would strongly advise against 2.25" piping. Far too larger for 99.999137% of the Duratecs out there.

I'd recommend 2" piping.

Will there be a balance pipe?
Proper placement of an X-pipe is not going to happen so a balance pipe for sound purposes (and likely a little mid range power) would be a good idea.

What is the weight disadvantage of true duals following the stock routing?

BTW - those asking for true duals for a 4 cylinder might want to go out and count their exhaust manifolds and cylinder heads. If the come up with more then one. It's NOT a 4-cylinder! Otherwise one bank equals one exhaust pipe.

Also those asking for true duals that have one exit are missing the ENTIRE point of having TRUE DUALS. Using a Y-pipe to make the 2 pipes into one is just as inefficient as stock and aalso not True Duals!

True Duals = seperate pipes for each bank.

Also bringing up the brullen "equal length" is not the right idea to have.

Equal length is great if the bends are equal as well otherwise the pipe length will have to change in relation to the bends thus negating the whole "equal length" design theory.
Does a balance pipe need special placement like an X? or is it easier to place?
Where will you place the two downstream oxygen sensors? Is this system going to trigger any CELs?
I'm interested alot.
Originally posted by 99 red SVT:
Where will you place the two downstream oxygen sensors? Is this system going to trigger any CELs?

judging by their thunderbird kits....they are designed to be as factory as possible....hangars, pre-drilled, threaded o2 sensor holes....etc.......
what about your system mark?

Sorry for the delay. I am interestend in this system as mine is still incomplete. I want 2.0" mandrel bends, I currently have 2.5" crush bent. This may become a headach free option. In any event, I will keep the Edlebrock mufflers.

Mark
anything goin forward with this?
I'm curious of this as well. Would like to know where to send my deposit .

Originally posted by csc99svt:
anything goin forward with this?

i might be interested as well, with a 3L going in in a few months ill certainely need this. i would like a sound clip if possible, i dont want something that is obnoxiously loud
I am in also..
To Josh, and the rest of the true-dual wanting folks:
Check out my idea about pulse matching.

Please post your opinions, thoughts, etc in the other post. The only reason I posted a link here was to get Josh's attention and get more thoughts on my idea.
Has this G/B stagnated? I am receiving my headers soon and wanted to see if I should shop for alternate pipes if this was falling apart.
yeah, ttt.
Is this officially dead? My headers are shipping now.
dang dudes settle down....im betting the group buy isn't dead...thing is its gonna take time, that was explained previously by the yo dude folks...they have to find a test specimen and work their magic...this isn't an instant g/b though

if u have to buy other parts to finish up your exhaust for now, maybe u can sell the parts off later when the true duals become available...extra cash toward the purchase
I'm not in that much of a rush. I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks. I figured that if I knew that the BG was dead for sure, I'd look elsewhere. If it's still live, then I'll just wait, but would need to monitor this thread from Europe. A few weeks more on the stock exhaust won't matter. I just wanted to make sure it was still alive though.
© CEG Archives