Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: LoudnQuik Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/01/03 06:13 PM
If you are in for the groupbuy post on here saying your IN. Also if you could please send me a PM. I will get your alls input on any upcoming details.

I talked to mystical speed and this is the low down on the springs.

Mystical Speed is willing to do a groupbuy on them in about 3 weeks. He said before he starts selling them he would like to make sure they fit properly and everything. I will be in touch with him and I need to get how many people will be interested in a groupbuy. We have to give the guy at mystical speed a set number of how many people are in.

We can do two things on the groupbuy, ship to one location which will be cheaper for him to get them to us, or ship to seperate locations.

I talked to Brandon over in mystical speed and he said if we get 10 people he can drop the cost down to 85 bucks. That is without shipping keep in mind, and if we can get more than 10 he can drop it down even more most likely.

98-00 The springs will lower the contour 1.8 inches in the front and 1.8 inches in the rear. (ALL MODELS)

95-97 The springs will also lower the contour 1.8 inches in the front and 1.8 inches in the rear. But the website says 4 cylinder only for these years, I am not sure if you can use these in the V-6 but I will find out per your request.
im down...

also I don't think its the engine that matters, its the years...all u need to know is 95-97 and 98+
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/01/03 06:23 PM
You can use engine size interchangably, you just will get slightly different heights.

Actually, I believe the 4-cyl is heavier, so if you but 4-cyl springs on a 6-cyl, the front won't drop as much as it normally would.
for 85 bucks... worth the try...... I am in...
im in but the only reservation i have is that it wont be an even balance usually u get more drop in teh front and less in teh rear but these guys are doin 1.8 front and back i think that 1.8 and 1.25 would be ideal but im in anyway i'll give in for 85
Yes I hear you about the difference, but thats why you have amps and subs in the back right??

It shouldn't be to noticeable, because the front sits higher anyways.

Jason
what in addition to springs do you need to successfully lower your car? do you need new struts/shocks or are springs the only cost?
thanks,
jim
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/01/03 08:07 PM
You can change just the springs, but you'll blow a strut in a few thousand miles, at most.

You're gonna need struts and springs for a decent job. Lots of other things like boots, maybe even camber kits if you want a good job.
Originally posted by SVTpyr8:
im in but the only reservation i have is that it wont be an even balance usually u get more drop in teh front and less in teh rear but these guys are doin 1.8 front and back i think that 1.8 and 1.25 would be ideal but im in anyway i'll give in for 85

yeah thats what I was thinkin...if it hangs too low in the back then I'll just sell these and get H&R's

probably gonna need a camber kit with these too
the box and the 1000.1 are soon to be gone so that might raise the rear back up
has anyone ever had experince with these springs? I would like to get someone with expereince beofre i condsider anything with these springs. Are they more jsut for looks or preformance?
I am IN!
Posted By: lsneo Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/02/03 01:25 AM
am in, wow it feels good to get into a group buy. Take it easy guys its my first time. lol
Originally posted by nOsSvTcOnToUr:
has anyone ever had experince with these springs? I would like to get someone with expereince beofre i condsider anything with these springs. Are they more jsut for looks or preformance?

thats the thing...nobody here has had experience with them ever.

i found them on a car site by accident and no one ever knew about them til then...so there are no past experiences to go by...unless you ask some civic or acura owners.
Posted By: blury Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/02/03 05:01 PM
Ive spent 85 bucks on stupider things

count me in
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/02/03 05:47 PM
I'm interested, but I can't get in until June 1. Just bought wheels/tires, and gotta pay for Micah's SVT bumper.
Originally posted by sigma:

Actually, I believe the 4-cyl is heavier, so if you but 4-cyl springs on a 6-cyl, the front won't drop as much as it normally would.

You're joking right?
i dont think he is.... Isnt the duratec an aluminum block and the zetec an iron block????
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/02/03 06:22 PM
Originally posted by todras:

You're joking right?

I just recall reading somewhere here that the 4-cyl was heavier due to more steel and less aluminum or something.

I've checked online for curb weights, and I can't find anything close to a static number to really be decisive.

I've seen listings of 6-cyl cars anywhere from 2759lbs to 3030lbs. I know my 4-cyl GL with every feature you can get on it (dunno why it's a GL) weighs 2900-ish.

At the most, the difference is only about 100lbs.

EDIT: Unless we're talking SVTs. Now that MoFo weighs considerably more than the regular 'Tours. Anywhere from 250-500 lbs more.
I'm in for the springs...just let me know what i have to do!
This is coming along great, anymore of ya interested? I'll keep this open for a little bit, considering the springs will not be in stock until about 3 weeks.

hell why not its only $85 bucks, ill give them a try. Loudn and when we get them you can help me install them since we are in the same area. =)
i'm in. anyone know any good struts to get to go with these springs? camber kit as well?
bat struts or spax should go good with these and then get the stazi camber kit

maybe even ST200's if u wanna go with a cheap setup but I don't know where to get them from anymore
Posted By: Swazo Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/04/03 08:12 AM
I'm in!!!!!!!! I thought these were not available anymore, but I guess you pulle something off! Good deal!
I want to lower my car, but I need some help from you guys.
1. What esle do I need with these springs to put them on my car?
2. Do I need struts, or anything else to safely ride in it?
3. What is the price at right now, is there more than 10 people to lower the price?
4. I'm probably in, I just need some more info.

Thanks for any help!
Originally posted by ofpa_99:
I want to lower my car, but I need some help from you guys.
1. What esle do I need with these springs to put them on my car?
2. Do I need struts, or anything else to safely ride in it?
3. What is the price at right now, is there more than 10 people to lower the price?
4. I'm probably in, I just need some more info.

Thanks for any help!

If you get springs that fit the 98+ contours make sure you get struts that fit that 98+ contours...same applies if you get pre98 springs

yes you will need to buy struts...unless you don't mind bouncing around town after a few thousand miles...maybe BAT, Spax, ST200, or Koni

and if we truley have 10 people the price will be $85...I think we'll know for sure in 3 weeks from now when they are actually available.
Sorry for my stupidity...
What's the best place to get struts?
How much are they?
How easy is it to install these springs, and struts?
Thanks for any help!
check batinc.net & spmotorsports.com & ctamotorsports.com for parts

there is a how to on the main page for installing springs & struts...if you don't know how take em to a shop for around $200-$300 unless u get a good deal
this may be a stupid question but is it $85 for all four or each?

also, who carries spax struts?
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
check batinc.net & spmotorsports.com & ctamotorsports.com for parts

there is a how to on the main page for installing springs & struts...if you don't know how take em to a shop for around $200-$300 unless u get a good deal

Are you serious !? How much cheaper would it be to install just springs ?
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/06/03 01:31 AM
About the same.

You have to remove the struts to remove the springs. So you might as well do both at once, or you're going to have to pay $300 to install the springs and another $300 to install the struts a couple months later when they blow out.

Suspension work is not easy.

It will take a mechanic a good 4 hours to do, and the average person almost an entire day to do it.

EDIT: It would probably be more correct to say it will take a couple mechanics to do it. Suspension work is not a 1 person job unless you're particularly masochistic.
thats exactly what i was going to say and exactly why i decided to pay a mechanic to do both instead of doing it myself and messing somethin up nicely. wallets a little hurt everything will work when put back together.
mechanic should be able to do it 3 hours if they've done a contour before. after you do it the first time, it's actually pretty easy. It took us about 1 hour each side of rear. It then took 2 hours on one side of front to figure it out, but then only 45 minutes on other side.
I had no clue it was so hard and expensive. Guess I wont be dropping my car anytime soon. Damn, this is really bad news for me
I know I'm not hearing this from a guy with an SVT

whats the price tag on those again?
Posted By: ieffem Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/06/03 02:00 PM
I'm in $85 how can you go wrong. Has anyone have an idea if the spax TA adjustables are avialable yet? I seen a post on the SP motorsports page but its an old post. I just hope they're cheeper than the KONI struts.
85 for all 4!
I know I'm not hearing this from a guy with an SVT

whats the price tag on those again?

My SVT was only 10k, thats not too terribly expensive. Also, it may not be because I cant afford $300 to install springs, its that I feel thats too big of a waste. Especially considering I most likely wouldnt be able to get up/down my driveway anymore.
I agree too...but this will probably be the best deal you'll ever get on springs...so in the long run you aren't spending that much

plus if you get someone that knows what they're doing your install is free.
most people I know tend to stay away from suspension work, i guess you need compressors and stuff too
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/07/03 04:57 AM
Don't think you need compressors, unless you mean spring compressors, which are pretty cheap. All in all, it's really not even complicated, per se.

It's just hard, manual, grueling work. It involves sheer brute strength and beating on parts of your car with hammers to dislodge them.
it's not that hard. you can rent spring compressors from autozone. and it doesn't involve that much strength especially if you use a pry bar (leverage is great). you don't exactly have to beat the car, just hard taps. if you have the time to do it and maybe one person around that's has atleast some prior experience, than it's not very hard.
plus if you get someone that knows what they're doing your install is free.

That sounds like an offer.
ha, if u let me do it u'd be riding around with upside struts and sideways springs

i dont even have the slightest clue where to start...it took me atleast 2 hours to install my CTA intake
Alright this is who I have currently for this Groupbuy.

1. ZetecNinja
2. MarkusSVT
3. SVTpyr8
4. Sigma
5. Lsneo
6. Blury
7. T-Red2000SE
8. SVTMann
9. Vermeleon69
10. Slick 95 GL
11. Swazo
12. ofpa99
13. ieffem

If I have you down on this list and you are not apart of this groupbuy just say so and I will take you off. If you wish to join in on this groupbuy just say so! The doors are still wide open!
i got fired from my job on monday but I have an interview tomorrow for another and most likely i'll get that job...so I'm still in depending on if its available in three weeks...just don't count me in as one of the first to pay...move me towards the bottom, if it even matters.

im still in though don't worry, i'll get the $$$ some way or another.
LoL don't do anything unethical now!

But sorry to hear about your job, good luck on your interview.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/07/03 11:14 PM

I had the bearings go out in my SVT and I'm swapping my swiss cheese transmission out for an HMS built version.......but the springs are so low priced I have no excuse to back out
i got fired from my job on monday but I have an interview tomorrow for another and most likely i'll get that job...so I'm still in depending on if its available in three weeks...just don't count me in as one of the first to pay...move me towards the bottom, if it even matters.

im still in though don't worry, i'll get the $$$ some way or another.

craig...how u get fired on your day off

damn 85 bucks for springs??? i actually will have a bit of cache to spend on my car this weekend and i could add these to the list...but 1.8 is loooooow, right?? i gotta think about this one...im turning into an young old fart and i dont wanna go bouncing down the street like the imports i see
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/08/03 07:49 AM
You'll be low, but you won't bounce that's for sure.

About the only comment I've ever seen about these springs, good or bad, is that they can be a very harsh ride.
hmmmm...me no like harsh ride...i wanna bimmer style ride
About the same.

You have to remove the struts to remove the springs. So you might as well do both at once, or you're going to have to pay $300 to install the springs and another $300 to install the struts a couple months later when they blow out.

Suspension work is not easy.

It will take a mechanic a good 4 hours to do, and the average person almost an entire day to do it.

EDIT: It would probably be more correct to say it will take a couple mechanics to do it. Suspension work is not a 1 person job unless you're particularly masochistic.

I've done springs in less than 2 hours, by myself? What mechanic do you have ?

Springs are easy.

Posted By: Peach Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/09/03 01:29 AM
Ahhhieet....you got me. It worked on me and now I'm interested. $85 for 4 springs with the 1.8 drop? Sheeit...I'll try that for sure. Are the going to fit the Contour for SURE? I heard something about Drop Zones not fitting the Contour and someone had to send them back on a previous GB. Just what I heard. Can you clarify? Reassure?

ATTENTION!!!

I now have another job...back in business

nobody ever had these springs before(not that I'm aware of)
they were not made for us because they didn't properly fit yet...but now they will...or they should!

and don't worry about bouncing, if u have good struts u shouldn't bounce at all...there is always a possibility u could not like the ride itself though (as in too stiff)
Hey congrats on the job! You are lucky I have a friend here in Wash Dc that has been trying to get a job for 2 months now.

Yes the guy at the shop told me about that problem with the original springs. They did not fit the struts properly.(I believe thats what he said) They are coming back "re-designed" but he said he is going to make sure they fit properly before he follows through with this groupbuy. He wants to make sure we are getting something good!

I have plans to call him today, but that is contingent around my work schedule.

Jason
Posted By: blury Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/11/03 12:10 AM
This still going on. Please tell me at least one of the GB's im in is going to go through.
Oh it is still on, I need to call the guy and talk details now on monday.
Posted By: lsneo Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/11/03 11:16 PM
kool, how were you able to get them to pay attention to us? cuz i tried and so did others and they didnt care.
LOL I dont know, I called, they picked up, I presented an idea, they took, we talked, and I have to call him back.

About how it went
Posted By: lsneo Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/13/03 01:38 PM
lol, kool
I'm out of it!!
anyone have a pic of a tour or stique dropped that low on stock rims?
Bump...update?
hey can i still get in on this? if i can e-mail details at k1999to202yahoo.com just let me know
Posted By: lsneo Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/17/03 05:54 PM
update?
Posted By: blury Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/18/03 03:54 AM
Originally posted by lsneo:
update?

Please
Ok guys I called him on friday and he is giving me a call back tomorrow or as soon as he speaks to the rep from dropzone. I will give him a call tomorrow around 12ish and see what is up, then report back here what he tells me.

Is there anything in particular you would like me to find out? Drop me a PM or just post it here, I will check this before I give him a call.

Jason
Posted By: 97CS Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/18/03 09:58 PM
The thread is a smidge too long for me to read every word right now, but from what I picked up, the springs WILL fit on a 95-97 V6, but just won't lower it as much? Is that right? If so, count me in.
you will be getting around a 1.8" drop no matter what engine you have

I think u should just ask some questions about the overall quality of the spring...how stiff are they? do they improve handling at all? do they lower the back more than the front? how do they look on a car? any personal experiences with them?

Oh yeah, and how long til they have the springs that fit our cars? I think its been about 3 weeks now...

thats all I can think of...
Bad News..

The rep from Mystical Speed just called me with some bad news. He received a phone call from Dropzone today saying that they will officially not be selling the springs. Simply because of the original problems of design. They cannot seem to make the spring fit properly so they are tossing the contour to the trashcan.

I am dissapointed and I know alot of you all will be also. However talking to him he does sell H&R and Eibach, so if any of you are interested in that product let me know and I will see what they can do on price for them.

gayyyyyyyyy...if the f*ckin Honda springs didn't fit they'd be all over that sh!t...how stupid.

where the hell are we ever gonna get springs for that price?!?
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/20/03 07:16 PM
Quote:

gayyyyyyyyy...if the f*ckin Honda springs didn't fit they'd be all over that sh!t...how stupid.

Might have a little something to do with the fact that they can sell about 1,000,000,000 sets of Civic springs, but they'd be lucky to sell 100 sets of Contour springs. And when you're selling the springs as cheap as they do, it's all about economies of scale.
so what, what kind of company just gives up...how retarded is that...if u can't get a damn spring to fit around a strut what does that say about your business?!
It means they feel they can better spend their time elsewhere.

Is the extra $100 for a set of decent, proven springs too much for you? Its not as though it is a critical component which may have a direct impact on the longevity of your life.
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/20/03 09:11 PM
Quote:

so what, what kind of company just gives up...how retarded is that...if u can't get a damn spring to fit around a strut what does that say
about your business?!

Designing, machining, fabricating, and testing a spring (or any metal item with very low tolerance for error) could easily run into tens of thousands of dollars. If they make $10 profit on a set, they would have to sell several thousand sets to even think about breaking even.

Originally posted by MotorCity:
It means they feel they can better spend their time elsewhere.

Is the extra $100 for a set of decent, proven springs too much for you? Its not as though it is a critical component which may have a direct impact on the longevity of your life.

its not too much for me just more than I wanna pay...would you like to pay the additonal $100 for me?

also if you can't design the springs right then you must be in the wrong business...I can understand working on it BEFORE you offer it but then the offer it, pull it, then say f*ck it is just crappy business.
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/21/03 12:50 PM
I'm sure what happened was that they were told, believed, or led to believe that a size spring that fit another car also fit the 'Tour. So they had 2 birds with one stone so to speak. Lots of cars out there share spring sizes.

After they initially offered it they must have found out that they didn't fit exactly and pulled the part.

That's not crappy business. Crappy busines would have been not pulling the part and just letting people buy them even though they weren't an exact fit. Happens all the time in business.
Posted By: ieffem Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/22/03 07:57 PM
If we can get a good deal on some H&R or Eibach springs I'm in.
how bout a GB on B&G
Hey i'm up for it guys, lets see what we can do...Which springs are we wanting to get in on? Everybody share some interest and throw an idea or two around. I'll be more than happy to make a few phone calls after we decide what we want and organize it.

Jason
Posted By: 97CS Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/24/03 02:51 PM
I'm in for Eibachs or H&R's. I'd need specs on 'em both though.
Posted By: sigma Re: Interest Check: Dropzone Lowering Springs - 05/24/03 03:03 PM
Same as 97CS.
eibachs h&r or b&g

Spring Groupbuy Poll
Eibach
H&R

Hey guys can you all look up the Eibachs and H&R's and post for me how much each drops for post 98 and pre 98. Would be alot of help. Thanks,

Jason
© CEG Archives