Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Description:

CustomCougars.Com is proud to release 2.5L Duratec V6 Shorty Style Headers. The headers are made from T-304 Stainless Steel. All piping is Mandrel bent tubing. The headers have not been dyno tested to show actual HP to the wheels, but estimates are in the 15-20hp range. These headers will require slight modification such as welding to fit particular model years of the Mercury Cougar. When ordering, you will be sent 1 set of headers along with a Y-Pipe that will connect to your cat converter. Please note you must have a 3 bolt flange on your Cat converter for these headers to work. The 3-bolt flange is common on all Automatics as well as all 5-Speeds produced after Nov 99. The easiest way to determine if your car has a 2-bolt or 3-bolt flange is to look under the car.

Installation Information:

Installation requires removal of existing exhaust manifolds. It is recommended to have a shop install these headers. Due to the variety of O2 sensors installed from the factory from Mercury, the addition of a 'Bung' to house an additional O2 sensor may need to be added on 99-00 Mercury Cougars. On 2001-2002 Cougars, a plug will be shipped that will be used to plug up one of the current O2 sensors since most models only have 2 O2 sensors located within the headers. These headers will not work if you have a Vortec Supercharger installed.
Average Install time is shop depentdent with a level 5 of install difficulty.
Install Difficulty Scale 1-5, 1 is the easiest and 5 is the hardest.

Shipping Information:

Item usually ships out in 1-3 business days. Method of shipping is UPS (www.ups.com) Ground Shipping with Signature Required. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii or International Orders are subject to delay.

Ordering Information:

Product Price: $649
Shipping Price: $20
Call Us to Order With Credit Card (540-663-5363)

Or Order Online Using Paypal

To View Photos or Order, Visit http://www.customcougars.com/ and go to Performance - Headers
http://www.customcougars.com/performance/CustomCougarHeaders.htm
These will work with the contours right? Does anyone know the flange # for the 98 contours?
As far as I heard over on NECO these are the same headers which WeaponR ripped off from MSDS...
That is incorrect... As I have posted many times before on NECO. I hope the drama will not follow to the CEG boards
Then why do they look like the same exact ones as Weapon R posted a while back????

Who made these pullies anyhow? Were they built in the USA? How about the warranty on them?

I also heard about the possible fires that may be caused by these headers since they dont have any kind of coating on them.... Is there any warranty on this issue?
There is only soo many ways you can make shorty headers for the cougar. MSDS was the very first company to do so. These headers are similar, but different in design. Look at MSDS pics then look at mine.

There will be no warranty against fires. I don't even know why this is an issue. I have the SF Turbo Kit installed on my car using T-301 Stainless Steel which is Polished and running much higher exhaust temps and I have NO ISSUES what so ever. I think the point is simple. Don't believe everything you read on NECO. People who have MSDS headers are going to support MSDS cause that is what they have. People who dislike me for whatever reason are going to support MSDS cause its only right to go against me. In time, I am sure my headers will prove themselves and I will not have to worry about the drama. Now I will say again, please no drama on the boards. If you don't like them, not intereted... fine post... but if you are here to simply start stuff, I would ask nicely you withdrawl future posts. I came to this board to offer the deal to CEG. I will continue to offer them to CEG since I am sure others will not prolong the drama from a NECO post such as yourself.

Thanks
I was just looking at the pictures and sorry to say they look pretty much identical

Here are the MSDS headers

And here are the rip offs

I guess pictures really do speak a thousand words
Originally posted by 96BlackSE:
As far as I heard over on NECO these are the same headers which WeaponR ripped off from MSDS...

And I know who Gave the headers to Weapon R to copy

And yes they do look exactly like MSDS headers.........
Are they available without the y-pipe? I have a stainless BAT high flow y-pipe with cat already.
who cares wat they look like, as long as they work!
i might be in on a set!
NECO says
QUOTED FROM StreetConcepts (NECO MOD)
Originally posted by AutumnOrange:
There is only soo many ways you can make shorty headers for the cougar. MSDS was the very first company to do so. These headers are similar, but different in design. Look at MSDS pics then look at mine.

There will be no warranty against fires. I don't even know why this is an issue. I have the SF Turbo Kit installed on my car using T-301 Stainless Steel which is Polished and running much higher exhaust temps and I have NO ISSUES what so ever. I think the point is simple. Don't believe everything you read on NECO. People who have MSDS headers are going to support MSDS cause that is what they have. People who dislike me for whatever reason are going to support MSDS cause its only right to go against me. In time, I am sure my headers will prove themselves and I will not have to worry about the drama. Now I will say again, please no drama on the boards. If you don't like them, not intereted... fine post... but if you are here to simply start stuff, I would ask nicely you withdrawl future posts. I came to this board to offer the deal to CEG. I will continue to offer them to CEG since I am sure others will not prolong the drama from a NECO post such as yourself.

Thanks

They look incredibly close to MSDS....LOL.

Too bad you didn't post this sooner, I may have been swayed to purchase your headers, since they are S/S. But alas, I have my MSDS headers already. Great price, though. I'm sure they'll produce similar results to the MSDS results.
Hi AutumnOrange
I am interested, but I would really like to see a before/after dyno. I dont really care if they are the same as the MSDS ones, but since you say they are different, then they might have different gains.

Also, can you give us more information on the Y-Pipe? Is it similar to any others? Hi-Flow cat? Stainless?

And since this is a group buy, shouldnt the price be cheaper than normally advertised? (They are going for the same price on your site)
can you sell them without the y-pipe?
They are similar, but how else do you guys think you are going to fit everything in that tight area? Aint much room for adjustments.....
I swear some of these people don't think! How many other ways are there to build shorty headers for the Duratec??? Like none? So what they look identical, almost every single quasi-dual cat-back available to the Duratec Contour looks identical anyway. I don't see people complain about that! I'd take these SS headers over the MSDS just for the fact that they're SS instead of some cheesy ceremic coated mild-steel that rust after a year!

The only problem I have with this header, its Y-pipe doesn't fit most Contours. Only some Contours use the 3-flange Y-pipe, most use the 2-flange Y-pipe.
96BlackSE, you have made your point and are about to become a nuisance and an agitator - both in this post and the one AutumnOrange placed in the Duratec Performnce forum. What are you, some kind of CEG stalker?

I just spent almost $700 for a set of MSDS headers last month so I have the right to comment here ?? and I am familiar with the past controversy! I say let these guys offer an alternative to the MSDS system in peace.

Think about the large number of manufacturers that are making 5.0L mustang shorty headers. Except for differences in materials, coatings and in some cases workmanship, they all look roughly the same to me. They all bolt to the same engine and attach to the same stock exhaust system points. They all have to fit in the same restricted space.

Certainly there was a company somewhere that offered the first shorty header design for that platform. Equally certain there is to this day some crazy fool running about with his hair on fire telling anyone who will listen that so and so was first and you shouldn??t buy from anyone else because their product is a rip-off.

Incidentally, do to market pressure, competition, and demand, 5.0L headers have become so inexpensive that they are within the financial reach of any enthusiast.

Let it rest! There is a time-honored solution to the problem of intellectual property and design theft in this country. It is called the legal system!

Unless these guys are breaking the law by offering this product, they deserve to be allowed to market it based on its own merits.

If they are breaking some law, then I think Marty at MSDS is very capable of handling this on his own without you being involved. Just the fact that you could be wrong is reason enough to shut up about it.

This website serves the interests of a much larger group of contour enthusiast than just you and your pet peeve. I don??t think it is in CEG??s interest for members to harass any of the few vendors who actually offer something for our cars.

You got a problem with these guys selling headers! Spend your energy convincing MSDS to take them to court. Harassing and slandering someone who is legally offering their product for sale is a criminal offense in itself (think about that!).

In my case, well, I am a capitalist at heart and I??ve always liked the look of T-304 stainless steel?

JEDsContour - Exactly, the quality is the difference between the headers... Why don't you let customcougars answer in which third world country these were made?
Who need R&D when you can just copy something else...
You know these will only fit the late 99 and 2000 contours with the MTx and the ATx contours with the 3 bolt cat flange...right. Anyone considering these better make sure that they have the 3 bolt cat flange of the y pipe will not fit without midification
Yes stealing another person's hard work and R&D is very lame. It's not the first time though...

However it's even lamer to copy the exact same flaw in the Y-pipe as the MSDS unit. Heck the V-bend in the SS unit is even worse then the MSDS unit.
That alone shows they put absolutely no thought or effort into making these besides copying the other units.

BTW - bare SS (it isn't coated right?) definitely does not retain as much heat as coated mild steel. That equates to hotter underhood temps, hotter oil temps, and more exhaust energy lost (less scavenging effect)
Also if you are thinking about wrapping it. T304 SS does not take very well to it. (I.E. cracks!)

Yes it may "technically" be other "choice" but for the same price you can support the original designer.
My opinion, but then again I am free to voice it.

BTW - What type of warranty does your company offer with the headers?
That's another very important thing for everyone to think about...
96BlackSE, you are definitely coming across as a sanctimonious jerk. You??d do better to spend your time enjoying your car and finding a cause that??s worthy of your attention because this one is not worth the damage it is doing you.

If the quality of these headers is poor, that will become apparent and no-one will buy them. Otherwise arguments like ??well it just isn??t right never hold much weight in the long run.

I would bet you??ve never designed, built and tried to sell anything in your life. If you had, you would give other people EVERY benefit of the doubt.

You think I or anyone else gives a damn about quote:??which third world country these were made.?

As long as they weren??t made in France I could care less!

Nice to become a jerk because I wanted to let people know where they came from...

I am not going to even argue with you...
I guess since this GB is officially hi-jacked....

Here's Nima's GB on underdrive pulleys he set up!

Just for the record, I've done business with Nima in the past, good person to deal with. I've also done business with Marty at MSDS directly, also a good person. The person doing the S/S headers is only trying to give some options to what's available now. Don't like it, don't buy it, simple as that. JEDS, if you believe in this product, show us wrong, buy them and tell us they're bitchin'.
Design flaws, material problems, incompatibility with wrapping and warranty issues are all good arguments against.
For the record, for the same price I will support the ??original? designer as I have done just recently and as I plan to again this fall. (Yes I do actually spend my money on the things I comment on in this forum).

However, slamming a vendor (any vendor) with empty arguments based on vague references to past ??wrongs,? as occurred here, makes me nuts. Maybe its just because in the software world I have seen similar attacks occur far too often with much more serious result.

I think the vendors offering us something for our cars in this forum should get a fair hearing based simply on the merits of their product. Some disputes (this one) are clearly between the vendor themselves - and should stay there.

DemonSVT??s questions and concerns are excellent and truly deserve a response.
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
You got a problem with these guys selling headers! Spend your energy convincing MSDS to take them to court. Harassing and slandering someone who is legally offering their product for sale is a criminal offense in itself (think about that!).

dont come up here thinking you're all that and a bag of sh!t chips with the coke, for the rest of you, the folks on CEG have a very limited litter of idiots and a high majority of intelligent people (heck look at it, 4 door family hauler vs 2 door kiddiebucket) Buttnuggets that threaten legal action over an online exchange of words are humerous at best a just plain f'ing morons at worst.

get out of here with that crap, if people want them they'll buy em, if they dont they dont, yes someone else started the little fire but fanning the flames isnt going to sell headers..

i'm interested btw, i might pick up a set this summer, do they have the proper ammount of o2 holes in the right areas?
Speed Demon I??ve read your post several times now and I frankly don??t know what the hell your saying. Are you upset because you think I am bashing this vendor and suggesting legal action against them?

Why don??t you read the entire post of the people you quote?
For that matter, why don??t you at least read the quote?!

Even taken out of context my post is clearly saying that the people who have chosen to harass this vendor should stop.

The contour is not that popular a platform with the aftermarket. Any serious vendor who takes an interest in our cars should be encouraged ?? especially here on the ??Contour Enthusiast Group? web site.
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
The contour is not that popular a platform with the aftermarket. Any serious vendor who takes an interest in our cars should be encouraged ?? especially here on the ??Contour Enthusiast Group? web site.

Amen to that.

Jim
OK AutumnOrange, Now I??ve gone out on a limb and made much noise about your right to offer a product here based on its merits without being harassed.

Seeing as I??ve purposefully directed the heat my way to give you a break I have a couple of things I would like to say and I think you should listen.

This is a Group Buy forum. We use this forum among ourselves to coordinate larger purchases for discount. We may work with a vendor, but the main focus is on price.

When vendors offer their products here directly, as you are doing, it should be for another reason. You want the positive exposure and the future sales it can generate. We are a large and vocal enthusiast group. If we use your product and like it we will say so. We will say so and we will encourage other enthusiasts to also use your product. You get direct word of mouth advertisement to the very people most likely to purchase your product in the first place.

To see how this works at its best, study the Bosal Cat-back group-buy that went on here a few months ago.

From that point of view, the problem with your post is that you have offered us absolutely no discount at all. Anyone can sign on your website and order a set of these headers for $649 + $20 shipping. You are using our group-buy forum as a kind of inexpensive classified advertisement.

If you are sure you have a quality product and want the positive exposure we can bring it, you should offer us a serious discount. Maybe Limit this discount to the first so many purchases (like Bosal did) but offer it.

As so many here have pointed out we have a vendor (MSDS) we already know and trust. You should definitely offer us some inducements to start building that kind of relationship with you.

Offer a serious discount to the first so many CEG buyers willing to try your headers and see what happens ($500 a set shipped to the first 10 buyers?).

If I buy a set and are happy with them I will definitely not be shy about letting others know.
ImportKLLR - My sentiments exactly. At least they ARE stainless and not the poorly ceramic coated (they have been known to rust out!) aluminised crap MSDS is pawning off.

I think this is a great thing that we have another option.

My only dislike is the y-pipe. It has the same crapola "V" bend in the rear bank pipe that MSDS y-pipes have. You should've gone with a SHO Shop style y-pipe and ditched the poorly executed 180° bend.

The only thing you need to do now is provide an incentive for buyers on this Group Buy Forum by dropping the price to a GB price, not the same retail price as the MSDS units.

Think about it.

PS, you might be able to use these headers as turbo headers if you went with the same style turbo piping system that warmonger has gone with. But in all honesty, nothing compares with SF's turbo pipes, they are works of art!
Hmmm... I guess the next time I hear or see another Tru-Dual setup on a Contour, I should sue for copying... Hmmmm.

Let this Group Buy go on without hassle... If you want to argue, argue elsewhere.

I like the Stainless, but alas I have the MSDS installed. And I haven't had any problems with them for the past year and a half.
carefull Stazi, you don't wanna go against the almighty Demonsvt. cause he's always right and everyone else is wrong!
As DemonSVT would say:

"Buy these headers and be prepared to suck A$$!!!"

Regular Retail Price is $699 + Shipping. I am not here to compete directly with MSDS for we have two different materials in our designs of the Shorty Headers. With this price I am offering for quick purchase right off my website, you will be saving $50 off retail which will go up once the first 15 sets are sold.

You will not have to use our Y-pipe with our headers. If you have an aftermarket Y-pipe, feel free to use it.
Regular Retail Price is $699 + Shipping. I am not here to compete directly with MSDS for we have two different materials in our designs of the Shorty Headers. With this price I am offering for quick purchase right off my website, you will be saving $50 off retail which will go up once the first 15 sets are sold.

Umm..Ehr..Ohhh..Well... No Thanks! I pass on this "deal."

Offer us a discount on just the headers without the Y-pipe.
Remember, you came to OUR group buy forum!

I also think it would help quite a bit if you could address the questions that DemonSVT raised.
Your right... I came to your Group Buy Forum and got bashed by people who can probably barely tell what motor they have in their own car.. Either way...

How many people would be interested in the Headers without the Y-pipe... If we can get 10 people, I am sure I can ship them without the Y-pipe

Thanks

Your right... I came to your Group Buy Forum and got bashed by people who can probably barely tell what motor they have in their own car.. Either way...

How many people would be interested in the Headers without the Y-pipe... If we can get 10 people, I am sure I can ship them without the Y-pipe

Thanks

And you got defended by people who do. You gotta take the bad with the good here.

I am interested - give me a price I like and I will install them and tell others what I think...Eventually (my project car is still several months from completion).
pending on how much Jed likes his... i would be interested....
Your right... I came to your Group Buy Forum and got bashed by people who can probably barely tell what motor they have in their own car..

what an ass....don't know how you're in business criticizing your potential customers. take this back to the other boards and insult others.... If your customer service equals your comments above, no one will have issues as you won't be in business for long..

You need to read the previous bashing to see why AutumnOrange said that. True, it is in bad taste, but not at all unprovoked. AutumnOrange deserves at least one break here -and I think he just got it.
I would be interested in the headers without the y pipe. LET ME KNOW:)
im not trying to start anything here. i would just like to know who makes thes headers. seams resonable for stainless steel.....also do they make a set for the vortech kit which requires a little extra clearance??

thanks.
I'd be interested in knowing the price minus the y-pipe for a 98 CSVT. Thanks.
I want to hear more from DemonSVT about the flaws. I might be in the GB now that I have to pull the engine again. It's not going back in until I get everything on.
i wanna know who makes em and if theyre available with the extended front for a supercharger.
for those interested, this topic is also being discussed here .
some good questions/points were also raised in this thread .
The following of this Post is exactly why some enthusiasts have left this site.
Originally posted by Speed Demons:
The following of this Post is exactly why some enthusiasts have left this site.

Wow, really? I think that's called culling the herd, and though cruel, it is desirable from an evolutionary standpoint.
Im not trying to start a fight, or point a finger.
But sometimes enough is enough. Like some have posted "If your not interested or dont like it, don't buy it".
I use all the Forums for help and advice, but this doesn't make me want to stay. My search for Info & Ideas only keeps me peeking through these Posts. But we would rather chase away Ideas and Vendors creating parts for us. It was posted that it was a "copy cat design", well dont buy it than. The Bad Vendors will weed themselves out, we dont need to do it to eachother.
OK, but honestly, if a little squabbling is enough to chase someone away, I can't believe that such weakness of fortitude would be missed.

Frankly, I would say enough is enough on all of the theories as to why "everyone's leaving CEG." They're not.

I know what you're frustrated about. I understand. I get frustrated with people, too. But c'mon.

BTW, I think enough sensible people (like you and me) have posted here to keep Autumn Orange coming back. So, no one is "chased away" at present.

Sorry if I sounded like an a$$ earlier. I guess it could be read that way, but I was just trying to make a point with some humor.
True... i didnt mean to say this is the reason why (if any) people are leaving. I mean just fed up sometimes.
It's all good!
ok... id like to get this post back on track.. who makes them and do they offer a set with an extended front to fit a vortech.
© CEG Archives