Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Guys, I have some bad and some good news for you.

I am not gonna try to sugar coat anything, so here it is:

Yesterday I got a shipment of your HID hardwere, directly from Germany. Upon opening the packages, I discovered that the HID kits they sent me had one major problem: They did not contain the lead wires, that would connect to your existing headlight harnesses!!!

When I initailly contacted Philips, they agreed to sell me the kits at a great price of $395 a piece, about $105 less then the Market-value. This was an exellent deal for all of you. However, this is obviously not gonna work.

Due to their failure to mention what is included in the kits, I am forced to return them to Philips. I AM NOT GONNA MAKE LIGHTS THAT ARE NOT TOP QUALITY!. To remedy the situation, I will now have to utilize a different kit, which means that I have to go back to the drawing board. Instead of utilizing the H9 projectors, I will be forced to unilize the H9 projectors.

The good news.

I was so furious that I stayed up until 3:30 last night to call Philips of England and complain. Well guys, it worked! This morning I woke up to find three emails from Philips. They agreed to offer me the H7 kits for a great price of $445 per kit, down from $540!

What does all this mean?

Here is the scoop of it all. Since I have to use another kit, and another type of projector, the prices WILL HAVE TO CHANGE. Here is the basic math:

-Price of old HID kit = $395
-Price of new HID kit = $445

-The Difference ......= $50

-Price of old Projector = $55
-Price of new Projector = $75

-The Difference ........= $20

-The Total Difference = $70

NEW QUAD BEAM XENON PRICE = $1114 + $20 S/H
(For Mystiques, the price is $1214)

WHAT ARE YOUR OPTIONS

I have most of your parts here in my basement. However here is what we can do:

1) I can make you Halogen versions, and refund the difference in price;

2) You can send me the additional $70 and we go ahead as planned. But please be advised that It will take me a week or two first to research and retrofit the H7 projector in some of the research lights that I have. This means that there will be a further delay;

3) I can refund the entire amount immediately.

Also, I need a minimum of 5 HID orders so that the price that Philips is offering me is good. As of now I have 7 orders for the Xenons. This means that if some of you decide to get your money back or go to Halogen instead, I may not be able to get the great price that Philips is offering me.

I do not think that apologizing to you guys is sufficient. But there is nothing more than I can do. I was so excited to offer these deals, that I jumped at the opportunity. However, as you can see, I ran into some hurdles.

I hope that the $70 price difference, and a 2 week delay will not force you to look the other way. I take my work very seriously, and though I could have made you the lights at initial prices, I chose not to. I will NEVER make you something that is not up to my standards. You guys are paying a whole lot of money for these things, so you deserve the best...

I hope that you guys do not take this personally, but once again, this is out of my hands.

I sent a PM to everyone of you, in an attempt to notify you ASAP.

Please E-Mail me at milanmotorsports@hotmail.com and let me know what you want to do...
Posted By: onosway Re: ATT: All Those Who Ordered MM Xenons - 01/14/03 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
...to the drawing board. Instead of utilizing the H9 projectors, I will be forced to unilize the H9 projectors....

What you meant was H7 projectors right?
Still in here ... Initial Xenon payment + $70 = priceless

Jared
SVTweeter
i emailed you. . .
Posted By: onosway Re: ATT: All Those Who Ordered MM Xenons - 01/14/03 10:33 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
i emailed you. . .

Sorry but is seems that I made a mistake. Since you need two H7 projectors, that is a price difference of $40.

SO THE TOTAL DIFFERENCE IS $90. PLEASE TAKE A NOTE OF THAT.
So far Jared has decided to go with Xenons. We need 4 more guys and we are good to go...

I contacted the rest.

If any of you have any questions, why don't you give me a call at 630 202 9789.

you've got money. . . Come on guys, let's get this going, so we can all get a little HID in 2003!
you've got money. . . Come on guys, let's get this going, so we can all get a little HID in 2003!

That makes 2 out of 7. We need 3 more guys, and all will be OK...
Will I still be getting my lights on time?
Originally posted by skrilla187:

if you pay soon, it'll be two weeks, that's what the man said. . .
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: ATT: All Those Who Ordered MM Xenons - 01/15/03 05:23 AM
i'm not part of this but 90 bucks isn't much if u already shelled out a grand. it appears he's looking to make a topnotch high quality product. as soon as i can afford them, i'll be all over these lights. the svt is going to look so euro with them. i imagine it'll change the whole look of the front. the word "class" comes to mind.

i hope u get 3 more to step up. good luck
I will still go for Xenon also.....

Originally posted by skrilla187:

Yes, this DOES NOT apply to Halogen orders...
Great news!!! We are a go!! Chris, Tuan, Bill and SSP1 have decided to still go ahead. I will order these pupies first thing tomorrow!

To sum it all up, these guys still want Xenons:

1)Jared
2)Suneil
3)Chris
4)Tuan
5)SSP1
6)Bill

Nirish has sadly decided to bow out. Sorry man, I wish that it didn't have go this way...

That is 6 out of 7, enough to get the lower price. We are a go Gentlemen!!!

ALSO:

Since you guys were so understanding, I am gonna throw in videotaped instructions on how to install these in your car, FREE OF CHARGE!

Thanks again for your understanding!
Posted By: onosway Re: ATT: All Those Who Ordered MM Xenons - 01/16/03 12:22 AM
Yeah guys I ducked out I needed the money more for the 3L project I've been pursuing for the past 4 months and will buy the HIDs in March after the 3L is secure.

I'm a full time student with a no-time job (damn parents spoiled me). So hobby money is scarce.

April 21st is my Bday so send money to SVT_AT_nyceboicreations.com

ALSO:

I am gonna throw in videotaped instructions on how to install these in your car,

They still make VHS? Talk about ancient Guess I'll have to borrow a VCR....lol
Originally posted by KnuKonceptz:

They still make VHS? Talk about ancient Guess I'll have to borrow a VCR....lol

Ha, ha, ha. Hey Bill, if you don't want it, just say so!
Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: ATT: All Those Who Ordered MM Xenons - 01/16/03 05:07 AM
There's only one problem with using the Hella H7 90mm projectors

Is they have much too aggressive of a flare on the right, and with HID installed, they will light up too bright, off toward the passenger side in front of the vehicle. Please see this page: http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/hella-90mm/
And if you scroll almost to the bottom of that page, you can see how the projector's internal shield NEEDS to be modified in order to get the H9 projector type flare in the beam (just a less aggressive step in the beam). Don't overlook this detail, or you will just bother everyone on the road in front of you of to the right, because this H7's aggressive 15 degree flare is designed for the dimmer output of a HALOGEN bulb like what came in it. When you put the HID bulb with 3X greater luminous flux (brighter), then you overload the designed output, so you want to lower that flare, by patching the shield. Herman, who wrote that whole page, is a MASTER at tweaking the 90mm H7 projectors by Hella. He also covers other important matters regarding these units on that page
Hope this helps
Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: ATT: All Those Who Ordered MM Xenons - 01/16/03 05:34 AM
Also here's a good lighting forum that has a lot of info and forum discussions regarding the H7 and H9 Hella 90mm projectors. http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/216460
Go a couple pages back, and there's tons of useful info (for inquiring minds who may want to know)
at least we'll see the right side of the road better!

I'm not that worried, the cops down here in TX don't give two hoots about that sort of thing. . .my HIDs right now reflect ALL OVER the place, and they just comment on how cool they are. . .

It's cool that the 90mm ones are used for racing in leMans, quality shtuff!

Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: ATT: All Those Who Ordered MM Xenons - 01/16/03 05:09 PM
I respect your viewpoint on the matter, BUT your ignorance, and attitude about glare is going to help lead to the increased enforcement of ILLEGAL xenon retrofits on cars in the USA. Then pretty soon all cops will carry around light meters with them to check all the kids with 'blue' lights to see if they are complying, and DOT certified. It'd be kinda like RIGHT NOW in New York how cops carry SOUND meters with them to see who they can bust for having fart cans on for mufflers. So, if they increase enforcement of the ALREADY illegal HID lights on or cars, that means they'll re-implement annual vehicle inspections in the states (to insure correct aim and DOT compliance), and penalties will be harsher for perpetrators who are caught out of compliance. I'm just saying, that I want to continue to drive my OEM xenon equipped 'illegal' car around, by not attracting attention by ANYONE, and I don't want to help contribute to the eventual strict enforcement on illegal retro's, but not to mention all that, I just don't want to bother my fellow citizens to whom I share the public roadways, out of RESPECT, you know?
But what is respect anymore? (I'd be curious to hear JiggaJerry's response on that- 'What? I respect them, but if they don't like my bright a$$ blinding lights, then they can go find another road to drive on", he'd say?) Just remember that it's everyone's road
I posted in jest, I certainly do think it might be an issue, and would hate to see law enforcement take control over who has what lights, but I certainly don't have the know-how to go around bending the shield, etc. If Milan wanted to do that (Free of charge?), that's another story. . .seems like getting projectors on a contour is a feat within itself, to get it mass produced by MM is like inventing penicillin (I've contacted one too many places only to hear them say, "Why would we invest money into developing a projector-based retrofit on a car that has close to NO aftermarket potential and is no longer made?"), and I just don't know how much glare is too much, right? The beam cut-off for new SUVs fitted with xenons can blind oncoming traffic, but then they have those automatic beam adjusting devices to reduce glare. . .

Honestly Josch, since Foci are getting xenon projectors as well, I DOUBT we'll get problems from cops, it's those fart-can driving ricers with the uber blue lights that would be targeted. . .now in terms of being courteous to others on the road, well, I guess it would suck to get that much glare if you're driving to the right of me, but down in Houston, everybody has tinted windows anyways because of the heat, so I don't know if glare from the rear is an issue. . .it's more like an issue for oncoming traffic (which I'm assuming shouldn't be an issue since the projectors have a cut off, while the free form parabolic stockers I have right now don't). . .

I think things are more regulated up in the NE and out in Cali, in Houston, they just RECENTLY passed the driving+open container policy on alcohol, we just recently lowered our local highway speed limits to 55mph (70mph apparently was too fast!), and you pretty much have to assume everybody on the road is packing heat. . .

i'm going to end here before this becomes pointless drivel. . .oh wait, I already passed that point. . .
Josch:

I appreciate the fact that you are attempting to inform the people of the differences. However, I must say that I am extremely agitated that you did not PM me asking if I knew of the differences.

I have spent over 6 months researching before I made the MM lights, and trust me, I know the Hella H7, Hella H9, Audi Hella, BMW, Honda, Mercedes and other projectors inside and out. I have worked with both the H9 and the H7 projectors. How many H9s and H7s have you ever worked with in your life? Probably none. Getting an OEM Audi projector complete with OEM HID, and retrofitting it into a Contour headlight is far from knowing the dynamics of projectors and HID systems...

And for your information, THE SHIELDS IN THE H7 ARE COMING OUT AND BEING REPLACED BY DIFFERENT SHIELDS!!!. Do you think that I am this ignorant? I mean, come on!

I can understand if you were trying to inform me of the differences, but how reckless was it to come on here and post this? I had a major problem on my hands, and the guys were cool about it. Now you come on here and tell them that the H7 will result in them getting in trouble...

Do me a favor please: NEXT TIME, EITHER PM ME FIRST, OR KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF! I DON'T NEED YOU CAUSING NEEDLESS ALARM!!

You have done this one too many times, and I am not gonna let it go anymore!

Christ!
Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: ATT: All Those Who Ordered MM Xenons - 01/16/03 09:15 PM
Josch:

I appreciate the fact that you are attempting to inform the people of the differences. However, I must say that I am extremely agitated that you did not PM me asking if I knew of the differences.

I have spent over 6 months researching before I made the MM lights, and trust me, I know the Hella H7, Hella H9, Audi Hella, BMW, Honda, Mercedes and other projectors inside and out. I have worked with both the H9 and the H7 projectors. How many H9s and H7s have you ever worked with in your life? Probably none. Getting an OEM Audi projector complete with OEM HID, and retrofitting it into a Contour headlight is far from knowing the dynamics of projectors and HID systems...

And for your information, THE SHIELDS IN THE H7 ARE COMING OUT AND BEING REPLACED BY DIFFERENT SHIELDS!!!. Do you think that I am this ignorant? I mean, come on!

I can understand if you were trying to inform me of the differences, but how reckless was it to come on here and post this? I had a major problem on my hands, and the guys were cool about it. Now you come on here and tell them that the H7 will result in them getting in trouble...

Do me a favor please: NEXT TIME, EITHER PM ME FIRST, OR KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF! I DON'T NEED YOU CAUSING NEEDLESS ALARM!!

You have done this one too many times, and I am not gonna let it go anymore!

Christ!

I've been into both automotive and commercial/industrial HID stuff for more than 4 years now. I could probably tell you a thing or 2 about this stuff. Don't tell me what I know and don't. I've done A LOT of HID retrofits now (including 3 OEM xenon projector retros for my own customers), and I DO know ALL about this stuff. And NO I have NEVER held an H7 NOR an H9 Hella universal 90mm projector in my hand... but... I have more than 150 various photos of the two units (of both assembled and completely disassembled) on my harddrive, and have studied about them intensely, and I can tell you about anything you wanted to know about either of the two.

I'm sorry I didn't PM you first, but I figured it was a public matter, since these people may want to know the 'whats' and the 'whys' of what they might be putting on their cars. I just don't want the government to step in and shut us ALL down. The thought of that, is what AGITATES me. The H7 is a very good projector WITH THE MODS, and if your doing them all, then fine. Just e-mail all your customers (using the easy CC function), and tell them about the revisions, and pricing increases, no biggy. I found when I'm honest with my customers, they always understand the unexpected things. I'm sorry I didn't PM you first. Would you like me to PM you, to get your permission to post anything, whenever I have a thought on something that I would like to share on Contour.org from now on?

Christ
OK ... FLAME ON!!!!

N-E-Waiz ... stop flaming and start building ... I can't wait to get my hands on these projectors, shields or not.

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Josch,
I think it's a bit far-fetched to think the government will come and shut you guys down. . .they have better things to do than try to inhibit people that are trying to increase night driving safety, like fight a war with Iraq, etc.

Milan constantly emails and PMs his customers and keeps us abreast to what is going on, and I guess since you aren't familiar with his workmanship/work ethic, he takes meticulous pride in completing his work, and never overlooks those details. . .and there is no increase in price for modding these projectors either, which he informed us of. Your input is helpful, but since this is a GB section, it throws a wrench into things when someone comes by and says their product is poop. I don't think ANYONE would appreciate that. He's not asking you to PM for everypost, just everyother. . .

I'm sorry you get agitated about the legality of these things, but maybe you shouldn't be so paranoid as to think that cops are going to sit there and pull people over because their HIDs are misangled. . .at least I THINK they have better things to do with their time. I bet you I'll get pulled over going home tonight. . .no I'm serious, it's bound to happen now since I'm so cock sure of the fact it won't.

Milan constantly emails and PMs his customers and keeps us abreast to what is going on, and I guess since you aren't familiar with his workmanship/work ethic, he takes meticulous pride in completing his work, and never overlooks those details. . .and there is no increase in price for modding these projectors either, which he informed us of.

I have nothing more to add.
Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: ATT: All Those Who Ordered MM Xenons - 01/17/03 02:46 AM
Josch,
I think it's a bit far-fetched to think the government will come and shut you guys down. . .they have better things to do than try to inhibit people that are trying to increase night driving safety, like fight a war with Iraq, etc.

Milan constantly emails and PMs his customers and keeps us abreast to what is going on, and I guess since you aren't familiar with his workmanship/work ethic, he takes meticulous pride in completing his work, and never overlooks those details. . .and there is no increase in price for modding these projectors either, which he informed us of. Your input is helpful, but since this is a GB section, it throws a wrench into things when someone comes by and says their product is poop. I don't think ANYONE would appreciate that. He's not asking you to PM for everypost, just everyother. . .

I'm sorry you get agitated about the legality of these things, but maybe you shouldn't be so paranoid as to think that cops are going to sit there and pull people over because their HIDs are misangled. . .at least I THINK they have better things to do with their time. I bet you I'll get pulled over going home tonight. . .no I'm serious, it's bound to happen now since I'm so cock sure of the fact it won't.

1. Sorry, but in case you guys didn't know, DOT (Dept of Transportation) is in the process of re-viewing and re-writing all the federal lighting laws, since they have been getting glare complaints galore (around 4000) as of now. Would you like to read some of them? Many of them are written by bitchy Americans who are fed up with glare and hate HID. See: http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchResultsSimple.cfm?numberValue=8885&searchType=docket
The state's motor vehicle depts are getting similar complaints, telling them to do something about glaring headlights. Haven't you seen any of the newspaper articles (USA Today) and TV news stories covering this?
I'm not saying we will get shut down tomorrow, but it's bound to happen if we don't set good underground industry standards and good examples for the new guys who are wanting this stuff. Because if we get to have a problem with this in the US, they WILL shut us down. By the way, the DOT has NOTHING to do with the defense dept in our country. These DOT guys are really bored over here (unlike our military, who is preparing for potential war).

Quote:

Milan constantly emails and PMs his customers and keeps us abreast to what is going on, and I guess since you aren't familiar with his workmanship/work ethic, he takes meticulous pride in completing his work, and never overlooks those details. .

Yeah, the only glimse I seen of his 'meticulous' work was the pics he posted of his car with the left projector mounted crooked, twisted off of level index, rotated a few degrees counter-clockwise, thus throwing the beam upward on the driver's side. Hopefully you guys's turn out better.

3. I never once said that his product was poop. I had only said the the H7 90mm is a FINE unit, IF you make sure and mod them correctly.
So if he's doing it correctly, then good. I would be glad to hear it.

And I'm sorry for the seemingly big ruckess I've caused here today. I will no longer post on Milan's threads. Let you guys deal with it on your own

I received the additional $90 from all of you. Thanks.
Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: ATT: I had a talk with Milan - 01/19/03 07:32 AM
I've spoken with Milan via several PMs and we have resolved any misunderstandings that had caused a bit of agitation here a couple days ago.
I did not know at the time, that he had already known about these upgrade to xenon issues with the H7 units beforehand. And I SHOULD have PM'd him prior to posting anything here. And after talking to him in depth, I realize that he knows all about this type projector unit that will be going on you guys's cars. And I'm sorry I've caused any worry to buyers about this issue. That was NOT my intention to scare or discourage any of you. Please have continued faith in your seller Milan, as I believe he will take the measures necessary to give you a good product that has the correct upgrades. The H7 Hella projector is a really good unit that will transform the lighting on your Contours, and after install, you will want to just drive only at nighttime just for the pleasure of it.
Hopefully, this posting will set you guys at ease about any potential worries that you may have had regarding this matter. And I hope you all enjoy your new lights!
Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: ATT: I had a talk with Milan - 01/19/03 07:58 AM
i wish cops would enforce laws against the blue, yellow and green tinted headlights schmoes are driving around with now
Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: ATT: I had a talk with Milan - 01/19/03 08:30 AM
Josch:

As I said in the PMs, I appreciate you being forthcoming. I look forward to further communicating with you in the future. Thank you for setting the matter straight, it is best for all of us.

Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: ATT: I had a talk with Milan - 01/21/03 07:18 PM
PROGRESS REPORT ON XENONS

I expect to be finished by the end of tomorrow in my redesign of the lights. If you recall, I had to use the H7 projector instead of the H9. Though very similar, they are slightly different.

The shields form the H7 are coming out and being replaced by a modified H9 Shield. I am gonna bend the shields to produce the thick blue band of light at the horizon, as seen on the Audi projectors.

I have sent the H9 projectors back to my supplier on Friday, and hope to have the H7s by the end of this week.

My purchase of HID kits from Philips has been finalized hours ago. I expect them to ship out on Thursday or Friday. Since they are shipped from England or Germany, it may take a few days for them to come to my front door...

What this means, is that my two week "redesign phase" is well ahead of schedule, and I am happy to report that things are going smooth.

Anticipate to receive your lights in about 2-3 weeks.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: ATT: I had a talk with Milan - 01/21/03 07:39 PM
How much longer are mine going to be?
Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: ATT: I had a talk with Milan - 01/21/03 07:45 PM
Same thing Paul. Another 2-3 weeks.
© CEG Archives