Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
HERE'S THE LOWDOWN!

Price: $425
Shipping: Varies, in-state to business $65, to residence $95. Out of state to business $100, to residence $130.
MINIMUM NEEDED: 15 orders.
Hood:

This hood will be made for us in full carbon fiber with a fiberglass support frame. It will weigh approximately 10-14 pounds though we can't be sure until the first prototype is made.

How it will be made:
I already have a person or two local to Northern California that are on my list as possible 'test vehicles'. This is what we will require. A single vehicle and a hood. The hood will be shipped overseas for them to mold the scoop onto, and for them to create the prototype. The vehicle will then test-fit the hood for proper fitment.

If the people I contact can't do it, then we will accept 'applications' (via PM or email to norcalcoug@norcalneco.com). IF YOU GIVE US YOUR FACTORY HOOD (or a factory hood for a 98+ that is in perfect condition structure-wise) and donate time to test-fit the hood, you will receive a FREE HOOD.
If you can only donate your time to test-fit, you will receive a $100 discount on the hood.

Once we get the prototype and test fit it as A-OK, we'll send it back for production. Turnaround time should be 2-3 months total at most, from what I understand. 3-weeks to a month shipping/prototype manufacture, 2 weeks to get it back and test fit, 2 weeks back then another couple weeks to a month for production and shipping.

QUESTIONS ANYBODY?
Oops, sorry! Looks almost the same though!
Er, no, that's not the hood we can get. We clarified this in the other thread.
The scoop look very non-functional.
Originally posted by AirKnight:

Uh, how do you mean?

Let me explain how a hood like this works.

As air moves over the hood of the car, it creates a pressure zone. This will draw hot engine-bay air out of the engine bay and keep it nice and cool. In addition, when you're at idle or at the light, it will bleed heat out of the engine bay.
Not am i only down with this GB, but i will most likely be able to donate my hood, since i have already purchased another hood for my car! I'm in NOR, and GREAT WORK! one quick question... Whats the company that's making them? THANKS!~! Also, when do you need the money by?... unless i'm the donar that is~
The company manufacturing these hoods for us is Wayson USA LLC, the parent company of Aerogear. They also make OEM products and so forth for other companies. Their quality is superb, and I can attest to it. I will attempt to post some kind of closeup images of some of their carbon fiber products, as a sample.

We would need to get a committed list of 15. Once we get 15, then we will collect the money and turn it over to the mfgr. We only need 15 because my partner and I are paying for the other 5 out of pocket to help you guys out, since we can sell them later anyway. (Yes, it does hurt to drop 2g's on hoods and yes I have space in my garage )

Note: You will NOT need to pay the shipping cost right away (though we prefer it). We can take that when the product is on its way to the US.
good job norcal...i will prolly get one
any chance we can do some type of photshop of the hood on the tour?
Moose
Example of the quality we will expect.

Notice the rolled edges (the proper way to do it) and the high quality. This is how our hoods will be manufactured.
NICE!!~~~ Well GREAT WORK~~~ once again~ i'm in for sure... i'll try to get a photoshop pic... i know a guy that is GREAT with it! KEEP me updated!
Originally posted by NorCalCoug:

Uh, how do you mean?

I mean the thing is sitting at the wrong place. Our airfilter is what we really need a scoop over. The whole point to have a scoop is to get cooler air into the engine, so I'd have to say having that sitting over top of the valve cover does no good.

Uh, how do you mean?

Let me explain how a hood like this works.

As air moves over the hood of the car, it creates a pressure zone. This will draw hot engine-bay air out of the engine bay and keep it nice and cool. In addition, when you're at idle or at the light, it will bleed heat out of the engine bay.

Didn't concept than ram air. Why else would they design, build and put that style on cars? Just for show?

For example:

Uh, how do you mean?

I mean the thing is sitting at the wrong place. Our airfilter is what we really need a scoop over. The whole point to have a scoop is to get cooler air into the engine, so I'd have to say having that sitting over top of the valve cover does no good.

Putting a scoop over the air filter is going to do nothing but ram rocks and pebbles into your air filter. Having a 'reverse' scoop like this helps remove the warm air from the engine bay in the first place, which will let your intake draw in cooler air. The air isn't going to get much cooler than ambient outside temperature (give or take a couple of degrees for air movement), so the best you can do is give your intake air-temperature air, as opposed to hot engine bay air. Well, if you remove the hot engine bay air, then your problem is solved.
Count me in ... SVTweeter ... Jared M. jared@dialupusa.net, 206-931-8181 cell ... please contact me or post to this when we need to send payments after we get a confirmation of the 15. Thanks!
Then why would the STi have the scoop over the intercooler if stones is going to destroy the intercooler fins? For non turbo Impreza, that scoop is over the airfilter. I'm not arguing about having the scoop facing incoming air or backward becasue I know how reverse facing scoop can work. I'm arguing about where it is placed. The airfilter doesn't draw air from the front valve cover area. So, logically the closer the scoop is to the airfilter area the better it is.

Man people... I wish you would get off of NOR's back about this crap~ You want the hood or you don't. Nor correct me if i'm wrong but you dont' even have a Contour or Mystique... right~>?? he's doing this for us~ So if you want the hood and you like it GREAT~ if you don't like it... then fine... Don't get in on it~ But don't knock the man down for trying to come up with something for out cars~!
~
Oh and with and intercooler/Turbo~ Those babies get hot enough to melt every wire in your engine~ So that's y the intercoolers are MAINLY place in the front air dam, or with a functions scoop like the one on the WRX's.
~And my 2c's about the hoods! I love this style, My buddy has the two front scoops on his R/T dakota, and man does that thing let in DUST, MUD, RAIN! He has to get his Engine STEAM cleaned like every other month! I would WAY rather have a REVERSE scoop like this one!
NOR keep me update... and hopefully we can get more people!
Nope, neither one of us has a Contour, but we felt bad that you guys had even LESS of an aftermarket than us, so we decided to start getting stuff done for you guys before we started in on the Cougars
Then why would the STi have the scoop over the intercooler if stones is going to destroy the intercooler fins? For non turbo Impreza, that scoop is over the airfilter. I'm not arguing about having the scoop facing incoming air or backward becasue I know how reverse facing scoop can work. I'm arguing about where it is placed. The airfilter doesn't draw air from the front valve cover area. So, logically the closer the scoop is to the airfilter area the better it is.

If you don't like the hood, you don't have to buy it or join the group buy. I'm not going to sit here and argue the thermal advantage of one hood over another. Here are some facts about temperature in our engine bays:

At speed, your engine bay air temperature is the same as (or a degree or two lower than) ambient air temperature. I've tested this in a Cougar which has slightly less space between the top of the hood and the engine. Only while you are stopped does the engine bay fill with warmer-than-ambient air. The scoop for this would be right over the back end of the engine appearance cover. Guess where the exhaust manifold that generates heat is? Right below that.

Like I said, if you don't want to buy it, don't! No point in arguing with us over the hood. We went through great lengths to get this prepped for group buy and we DON'T EVEN OWN CONTOURS.

Are ya sure about that, slugger?

Perhaps It's just my poor eyes, but can ya show me where the scoop on this non turbo impreza is? I'm sure its just me and I'm hard of sight. Please, educate me. Err.. Hold on, the non turbo Impreza's dont have a scoop.

The intercooler on a WRX (*gasp* even the non STi version) has a screen to protect it from rocks and pebbles. This is how they can get away with a scoop like this. And it NEEDS that scoop there, hence the name interCOOLer.. Dont think it would be able to cool that incoming air if it was in the engine bay without a scoop there.

So you would like a scoop placed over the air filter. That's cool, slick. But Norcal won't be responsible when you hydrolock your engine when you drive in a rainstorm.

Even with a scoop over the air filter, you're still going to experience heatsoak from a stop. NOTHING short of a plastic heat shield will prevent hot engine air from migrating over to the air filter while the car is not in motion. Not even a dainty little hole cut in the hood above the filter.

Next point. When the car is in motion, air is already circulating through the engine bay. The filter will be sucking in slightly wamrer than ambient air... And on a hot day, 98 degree air isn't gonna make a lot of difference over 93 degree air.

have a charming day.
Where are all the people that indicated interest in this thread...
1. HellaHydro
2. myself
3. getaway driver
4. Speed Demon
5. jiako
6. Chris Arslanyan
7. ByeByeSI
8. TheGreatOne
9. imprtKLLR
10. Swazo
11. nyceboi
12. XTREMECONTOUR
13. ssmumich00
14. ddriskell
15. 1314
16. Hector
17. wvrdr
18. SVTweeter
19. buchsvt
20. shaun95gt
21. Quicksilver
22. Doug Christman
23. MatbozSVT
24. csc99svt
25. JasonS
26. livinsvt
27. huey3211
28. bmg98svt
29. svttour2000
30. SVTMike99
Originally posted by ov3n:
Err.. Hold on, the non turbo Impreza's dont have a scoop.

Explain this to me, this is a picture of non-turbo Impreza:

I'm not getting on NorCal's back about getting a hood made for us. I want to make sure things are getting done right, and not turn out to be another ghey accessories like clear tail lights.

The intercooler on a WRX (*gasp* even the non STi version) has a screen to protect it from rocks and pebbles. This is how they can get away with a scoop like this. And it NEEDS that scoop there, hence the name interCOOLer.. Dont think it would be able to cool that incoming air if it was in the engine bay without a scoop there.

Then there should be a screen on any other hoodscoop too. Or what you're saying is that Contour don't need a scoop? If so, then why even have one?

So you would like a scoop placed over the air filter. That's cool, slick. But Norcal won't be responsible when you hydrolock your engine when you drive in a rainstorm.

Anyone stupid enough to drive through adverse weather without covering up the scoop deserve to problem to their car.

Even with a scoop over the air filter, you're still going to experience heatsoak from a stop. NOTHING short of a plastic heat shield will prevent hot engine air from migrating over to the air filter while the car is not in motion. Not even a dainty little hole cut in the hood above the filter.

Next point. When the car is in motion, air is already circulating through the engine bay. The filter will be sucking in slightly wamrer than ambient air... And on a hot day, 98 degree air isn't gonna make a lot of difference over 93 degree air.

Who's talking about from a stop here other than you? Why the hell would anyone need a scoop at anywhere when the car is at a stop?

have a charming day.

I suggest you do the same!
I thought this thread was about pre98 CF hoods...

maybe i read the title wrong.
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:
Where are all the people that indicated interest in this thread...
1. HellaHydro
2. myself
3. getaway driver
4. Speed Demon
5. jiako
6. Chris Arslanyan
7. ByeByeSI
8. TheGreatOne
9. imprtKLLR
10. Swazo
11. nyceboi
12. XTREMECONTOUR
13. ssmumich00
14. ddriskell
15. 1314
16. Hector
17. wvrdr
18. SVTweeter
19. buchsvt
20. shaun95gt
21. Quicksilver
22. Doug Christman
23. MatbozSVT
24. csc99svt
25. JasonS
26. livinsvt
27. huey3211
28. bmg98svt
29. svttour2000
30. SVTMike99

I'm still here, reading and waiting patiently. You guys already know I'm into it.
I'm waiting to see a deadline for the deposit so I know when I will need to have the cash. I'm still down.
Umm. I'm here, too. I can't donate a hood (im in texas), and i'm not debating about the scoop, so no need to post yet.

by the way, #12 on the list won't be getting a hood since he sold his 'tour.
Count me in on this. Excellent job guys its great your helping us out.
dude getting the hood done, good job! i'd be in, but i gotta pre98. Drop us a line when you move onto pre98's. that's some wicked sh*t, if that was on my ride.
What's up dude... i stuck up for you and said i would be the DONOR and you didn't put my name on the list.... J.K But i do want in just incase you didn't know~
will the hood fiT 98 mystique? if so put me in
I only put names from the other thread and for those that had not indicated in this thread yet - (you indicated in this thread you were in! )
I am interested!

Jim
Okay, let me make arrangements with a few people to get a hood and a car to make sure the hood fits right then we can get on this. I'll find out when I need the money by.

Note: The manufacturer has a factory in Asia, where the work is done. They take 2 and a half weeks off during Chinese New Year in February, so we will be expecting final product to arrive in March. I realize 3 months is a long time to ask, but keep in mind we're talking about getting a hood, shipping it overseas via cargo ship, letting the Factory make a demo, sending it back, testing it to ensure it fits properly, etc, sending the demo back overseas with any 'fixes', then making a production run. They could do it faster without test-fitting a pre-production copy, but then we might run into issues, so it's better to do it the way they do it, which is nice and safe.
Okay, let me make arrangements with a few people to get a hood and a car to make sure the hood fits right then we can get on this. I'll find out when I need the money by.

Note: The manufacturer has a factory in Asia, where the work is done. They take 2 and a half weeks off during Chinese New Year in February, so we will be expecting final product to arrive in March. I realize 3 months is a long time to ask, but keep in mind we're talking about getting a hood, shipping it overseas via cargo ship, letting the Factory make a demo, sending it back, testing it to ensure it fits properly, etc, sending the demo back overseas with any 'fixes', then making a production run. They could do it faster without test-fitting a pre-production copy, but then we might run into issues, so it's better to do it the way they do it, which is nice and safe.

Take your time, I know we would rather have it done right, the first time.
hummm, so can i still get in? ! JW!~?~?~! Please let me know~! THANKS
i'm still in...
Originally posted by Chris Arslanyan:

Take your time, I know we would rather have it done right, the first time.
i am interested as well
I am interested. I tell you if I'm in when I see a deadline. So I know how long I have to save.
does the hood fit a 1998 merc. mystique?
Just wondering if you aleady had a donor for the hood?
Pm me if your still looking for one..
Have you close the GB yet? I just joined the forum , so I hope I didn't miss this.
I'm still interested, just kinda wondering what I'd do with the brand new OEM style CF hood I got off of the old one. . .I guess I could just sell it to some of you guys when I get it, break even, and then put the money back in this. . .I like the fact my engine will run cooler with this hood, a definite PLUS if I start FI or 3L it. . .
Im still in. Whats the $$$ deadline??
im right here.....i ahve been looking for the other thread. i am ready to send deposit just let me know what to do.
Okay, sorry folks, I had a hellacious work schedule last week (I worked almost 72 hours straight with no real break).

We still need a donor!

1. The person donating the hood is responsible for getting the hood to us.
2. Donor will be given a free hood.
3. We prefer if the donor also lets us test-fit the hood when it comes back from pre-production.

PLEASE PLEASE let me know! Email me @ hikaru@otaking.org and let me know. We need a donor hood to get this done.
NORCAL. PM sent about donor hood!
I may be in for a hood, as soon as I see a deadline...

SVTcoop
hey count me in... that hood looks fat. will it come predrilled for hood pins???
same here count me in as well
NorCalCoug,
Outside of washer nozzles, is this hood going to retain all OEM holes and such?

I have hood struts that I would like to continue to use.

Also, I'm assuming this hood will utilize the OEM hood latch as discussed in the previous post?

Thanks,
Pete
I'm in unless some strange out of the ordinary circumstance barrs me from getting it.
There will be no holes pre drilled for hood PINS

It will retain the stock latch

As for the hood struts, do the contours have holes in the underside framing for attaching those? If thats where they are, they won't have them, but we'll check to see if they can be put in, but the problem with that is that we won't know where exactly to put them, unless our donor hood has them in them already. So it may just be easier to drill the holes yourself once you get it, since it won't be that hard to do so.

We're still ironing out the final details with everything else
Originally posted by DEVIOUSDEV:

It will retain the stock latch
We're still ironing out the final details with everything else

That's what I like to hear! Stock latch used and final details. Woo-hoo! Again, take your time and do it right.
Yes. DEVIOUSDEV is correct. Here's how we'll have to do deposits:

We will need deposits from 15 people in order to start the GB. The deposit amount will be the group buy sale price of the hood, sans shipping. We will not collect shipping until the hoods are on their way back from overseas. DEVIOUSDEV and I only have enough money to cover 5 of the hoods ourselves, so we can't afford to have someone drop out at the last minute, and the manufacturer doesn't take chances.

I've gotten a couple PMs and emails about donor hoods. Let me reiterate:

1. Donor will be GIVING us their hood. They will not get it back. When the hoods come back from overseas, we will give you one of the carbon fiber hoods free of charge. If you are out of the area, you are responsible for shipping costs to send us your hood and to get your new hood shipped to you.
2. If donor is in local area, we will install the new hood for you. We're just nice guys like that.

Obviously we prefer local area, it's just easier. I'll fish through the people that have PMed me and we'll get the hood, then I'll call the mfgr to tell them we're ready, then we can get deposits, have them send out the hood, and then we just wait for them to come back.
NorCal, do you have a rough guess of when you'll be needing deposits? I want to do this but winter is a bad time for me money wise, so I need an idea of whether or not I may be able to scrape the funds together...
Count me in on this hood GB, just let me know when and where cash is needed.
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
NorCal, do you have a rough guess of when you'll be needing deposits? I want to do this but winter is a bad time for me money wise, so I need an idea of whether or not I may be able to scrape the funds together...
Same here.
I would be in on this in 2 seconds , but without having a clue of what it will look like on a Countour im spectical
Originally posted by CitatioN10:
I would be in on this in 2 seconds , but without having a clue of what it will look like on a Countour im spectical

you mean skeptical
I want carbon fiber hoods. were they at.
i am interested let me know how much
Okay folks, I have one person out of state willing to ship their hood to us so we can get this going. We now have a donor hood that will be on its way. I'm not going to have him ship his hood to us if we don't have the 15 committed buyers that we need though! We simply don't have the kind of money to pay out of pocket to get these made.

SO! Tomorrow afternoon, I'll verify that he is willing to ship and ensure that there are no in-state donors, then we'll get the ball rolling to take deposits. Once we have the 15 deposits, he'll ship the hood to us so we can get it sent overseas for manufacture.

Warning! There will be a 5 day window in which to make deposits! This is so that if we don't get enough, we can refund to you guys (via PayPal) with no penalties! So, I want at least 15 people to reply here, PM me or send me an email (norcalcoug@norcalneco.com) if they will be able to make the deposit ($425) starting, say, Jan 6th-Jan 11th.

That should cover the end of one pay week and the end of another for those who are paid either weekly or every two weeks.
i ahve the money waiting for u
I'm in. How many do you have? Only two of us have replied here, but i'm hoping everyone else emailed or pmed you. I also think you should start a new thread since you're ready with the buy.

I am in, just let me know when and where money is to be sent

You can count me in. I will also need to know who to send money to.
definately in ... and ready to send money per your request.

Thanks
Jared
Soooo... WHat's up?
GOOD NEWS!

We have a donor car and hood, so we're set to go. On Monday I'll verify with the mfgr that they are ready to take the hood as soon as we're ready with the money, so they can begin design work, ship it overseas for manufacture and then send us a prototype.

ON MONDAY A NEW THREAD WILL BE STARTED TO TAKE DEPOSITS AND FOR PEOPLE TO POST THAT THEY HAVE DEPOSITED. Deposit information is a few posts above this one. Let's get this thing rolling! It's been too long already.

© CEG Archives