Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: tourman113 Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/22/02 06:58 AM
Hey everyone, I have good news for the pre 98 owners. I e-mailed Rob Green from Zxtuner about having pre-98 carbon fiber hoods made and he said that he will get the mold if we can move(sell) 10 hoods.He said the price would be $350!!! Come on everyone this is our chance to finally have a high quality carbon fiber hood for only $350. What do ya think. I know that i can't afford one right now but i will be willing to organize this group buy as long as it gets my pre-98 brothers and sister some attention. What do you think?
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/22/02 07:02 AM
pictures pictures pictures
Posted By: 1BADTOUR Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/22/02 07:36 AM
I'm interested. Finally some more aftermarket for the pre98s.
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/22/02 08:26 AM
I am in if its good quality...
Count me in
Posted By: Ryno368 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/22/02 05:55 PM
yeah ill be in if i can get a shot of it. is it gonna be a regular hood or will it have intakes?
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/22/02 06:20 PM
Well, i don't have any pictures of it but if you go to www.zxtuner.com they have pictures of the Zx2 and focus hoods. They will be just like those just for the contour. As far as the quality goes. I have a friend who has a zx2 with the carbon fiber hood and it is really excellent quality. Oh no.....i need to get a job so i can get one
scoops?
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/22/02 08:59 PM
I will ask him about the scoops. I think it would be cool to have scoops but it will cost more I am sure. I will get some dates up. As soon as i get the minium ammount of orders i will ask him when they will be ready. Don't worry, i will let everyone know the details as soon as i talk to him today. Patience is a vurtue I don't want to rush anyone...i certainly want a high quality hood, not some thrown together piece of*@#$. I will keep you posted. My e-mail address is metali_fan82@hotmail.com. Email me your home address and phone number. Only e-mail me if you know that you are going to get one. I need to know where we stand as far as numbers go. Come on guys we need some more
interests. This is your chance to get something unique for our cars for cheap.
Posted By: jlb19 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/22/02 10:03 PM
i want a hood pm when its all set up i'm in
Posted By: vanctour Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/22/02 10:40 PM
sounds s-w-e-e-t! Pre-98's now got (are getting) hood, body kit. keep it comin' guys!! great work. i'd like in, if it's got a scoop or vents. something different and hopefully functional. i'd like to see pics and price when available.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/23/02 01:05 AM
Is the hood going to have a frame to support it, and steel reinforcement at the hindges? And about scoop, can he put the scoop right over the air filter? It'd be silly to buy this hood only to find out the force of wind at 90mph is enough to crush it, or you'll have to always slowly close the hood. If there is a scoop, it's got to be functional and have an optional plug that you can plug it when it's raining or snowing out.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/23/02 02:58 AM
Ok, I e-mailed him back and am now waiting for him to reply. I asked him about scoops and possible release dates. I think $350 bucks for a custom made hood is a pretty good deal. Actually it is probably a steal. If he says he can do scoops i will tell him about functionality and location. Give me some ideas on the style that every one agrees on. I will try to give him an idea.
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/23/02 04:03 AM
I would be in for a hood with no scoops...
Posted By: Ryno368 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/23/02 05:09 AM
i am in if it has scoops, i mean a cf hood would be sweet, but ya know it looks sweet with scoops
Posted By: m!key Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/23/02 05:18 AM
i am probably in if the scoops are not too outragious, something that follows the design of the car would work the best. peace.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/23/02 05:56 AM
i'm in next year if it has scoop that is either ram air, or lets heat out.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/23/02 06:56 AM
What about having a frame and reinforced plates at important locations? I wouldn't get any hood (not just CF) if it doesn't have the proper support and reinforcements.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/23/02 11:00 PM
Well, I have good news and bad news...The good news is that Rob Green is very happy to make the hoods for us. The bad news is that he needs a Hood model. Is there anyone near riverside california that would be willing to pose as the model car? I would, but i live in pensacola Fl so we have a little problem. If their are any volunteers I am sure that i can get some kind of discount arranged for you. I will post the exact e-mail as soon as i can. It also contains other information about the scoops and such.I am really trying to get this to work, like i said email me with your address and phone numbers only if you are serious about this. So far so good
Originally posted by tourman113:
Well, I have good news and bad news...The good news is that Rob Green is very happy to make the hoods for us. The bad news is that he needs a Hood model. Is there anyone near riverside california that would be willing to pose as the model car? I would, but i live in pensacola Fl so we have a little problem. If their are any volunteers I am sure that i can get some kind of discount arranged for you. I will post the exact e-mail as soon as i can. It also contains other information about the scoops and such.I am really trying to get this to work, like i said email me with your address and phone numbers only if you are serious about this. So far so good

Heh, cool, he's a cool guy, got my UDP from him, when i went down to test fit a Zetec CAI he was working on....!! i might be able to make it down there sometime this winter..... PM me if there is no one nearer who can help, and we'll discuss it!!
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/24/02 09:19 AM
MUSTANG STYLE HOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: smoothy_dup1 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/24/02 11:11 AM
will this hood be available after the GB?
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/24/02 07:02 PM
Plastique synthetix....how close do you live to zxtuner? It would be wonderful if you could be a model! If anyone else is interested in helping out, you would be helping a lot of people. As far as scoops go, he said that for each type of scoop wanted, i would have to send him a model of that particular scoop and a completely different mold would have to be made, thus we would have to have ten more orders for those too. I think it would be much easier to deal with this group buy with just a plain carbon fiber hood. They are very good quality and are reinforced with steel and fiber glass at all of the flex points and have no washer nozzle holes. This only happens once in a blue moon. Come on now we need this guys. He said that he would be able to mold 2 hoods a week.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/25/02 12:34 AM
would this be show quality carbon fiber (clear coated)? can it be different colors? or will they all be black (paintable or show?)? i'd be in on this if kaotic doesn't make a nicer one w/ scoop and it depends on when they're avialable so i can get some money.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/25/02 09:56 PM
Well, it is going to be clear coated....actually double clear coated. But if we don't get anymore interests...i am afraid this group buy won't go through. I only have 3 people who have emailed me telling me that they really want the hood. We need 7 more to make this work. And we need a model in california. So come on guys we need this
where in california, I would be interested
Posted By: m!key Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/25/02 10:05 PM
i will be interested but i wont have the funds for awhile. i have a ton of stuff going on right now that are sucking up all the resources. when do you think we would absolutely need the money by? thanks.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/26/02 01:35 AM
Here is the email that Rob Green sent me...it has all the information that you need.

Hi Jim,

Sounds like you've made some progress!! Here's how it will work...

1. Hood sample. I'll need a copy of whatever we are going to make 10 hoods of (95-97 or 98-00).
Hood scoop, vents, etc will not be added, nor can they w/o making an additional mold, and the prototype hood itself will need to be provided to make that mold (and 10 orders for it as well).

2. Email addresses from all those interested parties will be needed

3. I'll need a $100 deposit per person to secure the ability to pay for the advance mold work and to insure 10 hoods will be ordered. The deposit is non-refundable with the following exceptions: The hood deal doesn't get produced or the price changes. If a person wants out of the deal prior to taking possesion of the hood, the $100 deposit can be refunded if they find a replacement buyer for the GB. I will of course help find a new buyer as well, but I make no guarantees that there will be a replacement buyer.

4. Payment terms... Paypal (if direct checking linked acct), credit cards (I have a processing Machine), or Money Orders will be accepted. My paypal acct is zxtuner@hotmail.com, my work number to pass on c/c info is 909-784-9603 (10-5 PST M-F), fax is 909-784-9605. My mailing address for m/o's is RSC / ZXtuner PO Box 627 Riverside, CA 92502-0627

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,
Rob Green

oops - i left out time frame. Figure 3 weeks after the perfect, dent free steel hood sample is shipped, the mold will be ready. After that it's 2 hoods a week.

Rob

Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/26/02 03:51 AM
I am definetly in on this
Sweet I'll pay my deposit tommorow.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/26/02 08:14 PM
Well guys...Plastique Synthetix has offered to be the test animal so everyone owes him a big Thanks!!! I am still sorry to say that i only have 3 sure people who have e-mailed me on this. Come on people...I would like to get this thing on its feet.I thought there would be more people interested. This carbon fiber hood is top quality and there won't be another opportunity like this in a long time if ever. Especially for the price. Think about it and please email me or PM me if and only if you are serious about it. Thanks everyone
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/26/02 10:09 PM
I'm sure more people will get in on it...they just need visuals
Posted By: vanctour Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/27/02 09:06 AM
but hold up, is this just for a normal hood or scoop or vent or what? because the maker needs 10 buyers for each type in order to make it. so which type are people going with? i read we have 3 buyers. which ones are they buying?
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/28/02 02:06 AM
So far we are going for the hood without scoops. The three people who are interested so far want the regular hoods. So majority rules. Thats the only way we can do it right now....come on we need more orders guys...this is sad
Posted By: m!key Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/28/02 02:07 AM
tourman, you got my pm lets up that number a little. come on guys we can scrape the cash together. lets go!
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/28/02 02:14 AM
Here is a pic of a hood on a ZX2.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/28/02 06:26 AM
one person interested wants hood w/ scoop(s). though can't pay till next year.
Posted By: tour96wnb Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 11/28/02 03:12 PM
i'm in just let me know when you need the deposit and what where to send it, if i send it and it falls through it's refundable right? anyways with or without hood scoop works for me
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/01/02 02:35 AM
Well, I am waiting for everyone to E-mail me. Come on guys remember when you email me...give me your name that you use on the forum. I am going to put everyones name who is interested, on the first post just so you guys can keep track.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/02/02 05:11 AM
Well, i just updated my information so if you need my e-mail address it is there. Come on guys...if this goes on i will just tell Rob that we can't sell 10 hoods. I am sorry to all those who really wanted one. I will keep you in mind the next time a group buy like this happens for the pre-98's. Come on guys just a few more.
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/02/02 06:04 AM
How many people are there right now?
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/02/02 06:43 AM
Only 5 people have E-mailed me. I need you to e-mail me if you are interested. Only E-mail me. That way i will know if you are really serious. I will not consider you as a serious buyer unless you e-mail me. I hope I can get more people.Ok guys..the next time i check my mail i want to see 5 or more people interested. When i get ten names i will post the names(or E-mail adresses, which ever I recieve) on the first post of this thread. Keep it up guys.
Posted By: m!key Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/02/02 03:20 PM
can you post the names as we go along?
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/02/02 04:08 PM
Ok, here are the names of the people that have e-mailed me so far. If i missed your name....e-mail me again and i will add you

Plastique Synthetix

Chris Nissen

Tribo99

Mikey boy

John Spencer

96BlackSE

So far...so ....good.....
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/02/02 04:42 PM
tribo99 is my email
so we are at 4
Posted By: 1BADTOUR Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/02/02 07:22 PM
Sent you an email.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/03/02 03:35 AM
Oops sorry Black95SE. I feel dumb now. Well we are back to five. I just got another email. Hmmm, this group buy will be going on over the Xmas holiday i believe so if you can't afford it untill after its ok. I am going to talk to Rob. I am sure it would be cool. I am not sure about the shipping prices. I will ask Rob about that as well.
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/03/02 07:57 AM
so is this just gonna be a lighter hood or what?
Posted By: vanctour Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/03/02 06:11 PM
sorry guys, i really want to help you guys get this going, but i really want a hood that's different. Scoops or vents or something. Sorry guys. i don't just want a rice looking blacked out hood on my red car. Sorry.
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/03/02 06:54 PM
So its rice when its black and its ok when its black and it has some scoop god know from an airplane thats not even functional???
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/03/02 08:15 PM
Well, i say different strokes for different folks. I think a regular hood would be the best thing. It would be so confusing to try to get one scoop that everyone agrees on. Remember, for each scoop.. a totally different mold had to be made. 3 weeks for each mold to be made!!! thats a long time. I would like to make everyone happy but thats not possible. I have a red tour also...now if everyone who was interested had a red car(which isn't the case unfortunately) i could get him to do a red carbon fiber hood to match so that we wouldn't be considered RICE by some people. Opinions are good but just not in this case. It won't change anything if you complain about other peoples taste. Therefore you must just respect everyones opinion.
Why not get the stock style CF hood and then buy the scoops you want, be it Scooby scoop, or Cossie vents, etc, and then fit them to it? that way you'll have something completely different...... You'd have to do the same thing if you wanted these scoops on your car right now......
Posted By: AirKnight Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/04/02 04:07 AM
Is this hood going to have some kind of frame support??? I will not get one that's doesn't have proper frame support. And if I have to choose between a non-functional scoop in any location that doesn't sit over the air-filter and no scoop, I'd choose to have no scoop.
The hood will be like the OEM hood.
Posted By: vanctour Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/05/02 12:39 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. 96blackse, i guess it'll be ok on your car, cuz you got a black 'tour i'm guessing? anyhow, where i live, almost everyone drives a honda or acura, and they all have the spoon kits with the carbon hoods. People even go so far as to paint their hoods black and put spoon stickers down the sides and on the sides of the hoods. i have yet to see an american car with a black hood. and i don't want people to get the wrong message, and think that i am jumping on the rice-wagon. i did not mean to offend anybody. weight is not too much of a problem for me. We don't have to drive down highways here, so gas guzzling is an everyday event here. Souping up our cars only to race for 3 secs to the next light seems pathetic in our city. So, i'm just after the look. Although i have done nothing to shame the car so far. i've got a 96 duratec 'tour with kkm intake, sho shop high flow cat, svt exhaust, svt wheels with the goodyear F1 rubber, ford racing wires, bosch 4+ platinum plugs and run synthetic oil. no wings, no stickers, no decals, no dashboard toys. Just keeping her clean.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/05/02 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Contour_LXsport:
The hood will be like the OEM hood.

As in all the frames are in the same place? Can the guy handling this confirm?
Originally posted by vanctour:
Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. 96blackse, i guess it'll be ok on your car, cuz you got a black 'tour i'm guessing? anyhow, where i live, almost everyone drives a honda or acura, and they all have the spoon kits with the carbon hoods. People even go so far as to paint their hoods black and put spoon stickers down the sides and on the sides of the hoods. i have yet to see an american car with a black hood. and i don't want people to get the wrong message, and think that i am jumping on the rice-wagon. i did not mean to offend anybody. weight is not too much of a problem for me. We don't have to drive down highways here, so gas guzzling is an everyday event here. Souping up our cars only to race for 3 secs to the next light seems pathetic in our city. So, i'm just after the look. Although i have done nothing to shame the car so far. i've got a 96 duratec 'tour with kkm intake, sho shop high flow cat, svt exhaust, svt wheels with the goodyear F1 rubber, ford racing wires, bosch 4+ platinum plugs and run synthetic oil. no wings, no stickers, no decals, no dashboard toys. Just keeping her clean.

Not to nit pick, but guys used to do their old muscle cars with matte black hood(IIRC to get rid of glare?).... So its not just a rice thing
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/05/02 02:42 AM
If you go to the ZXtuner web site and look at the carbon fiber hoods section it says:
ZXtuner Carbon Fiber Composite Hoods.
Put your car on a diet! A ZXtuner not only will look great, but weighs a fraction of the original hood, anywhere from 16-22 lbs. lighter! Some highlights of the ZXtuner hoods:

* Molds are created from original car hoods to assure an exact fit.
* Manufactured with GENUINE carbon fiber laid over a fiberglass frame.
* Hoods are over 60% lighter than regular OEM hoods.
* Factory latches are fabricated with steel strike points and reinforced fiberglass to ensure strength.
* Hoods use factory mounting points: no hood pins or other accessories required for installation.
* Windshield washer nozzle mounting holes are not pre-drilled
* Black and extra cost Yellow, Red, Blue, and Silver colors available
* Multi layered clear Coat for a high gloss finish

Hoods are shipped to the closest GPX terminal to your home. Door to door service is available at additional cost. Black hoods (pictured) are shipped from inventory, Colored hoods are special order and require 1-2 weeks for completion.

Posted By: 1sweetride Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/05/02 04:09 AM
i would also be interested in one of these hoods......do we know yet how many people really want one? let me know and i will buy one as soon as they are available....MIKE D m_denen@hotmail.com
I wasn't offended I was trying to clear the air. Everything is cool.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/05/02 05:37 AM
So far we have 7 guys...keep them coming. Plastique...when do you think you will be able to make the trip to zxtuner? Just curious. Let me know when you can.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/05/02 07:11 PM
That's nice! Exactly the kind of specs I want to see. When's the latest I can get on this? I can't commit on this until I at least completely finish my Project 3-Liter which would be close to Janurary.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/09/02 03:05 AM
This is a sad sad month for the pre 98's.We have seven takers and thats it. Hmmm I am sorry for those people who were really interested. It looks like you will have to get in on the other carbon fiber hood group buy for pre 98's. I promise you one thing they probably wont be that high of quality for the price they are going for. Well thanks guys for showing a little interest.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/10/02 12:05 AM
if a pre98 hood isn't made by summer time, then try this again, i'd just rather have one with a scoop, something that looks different. i can lose a few pounds of my car just by removing a/c components (mine don't work) or going on a diet. so if i spend hundreds of dollars, i want it to be really worth it.
Posted By: tourman113 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/10/02 03:03 AM
Thats a valid reason Kremit. I totaly understand, i guess it was my fault for pursueing this during x-mas when everyone is broke. I will try again later everyone. Maybe after tax returns or something Well thanks guys.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/10/02 10:09 PM
sounds good to me, there are two other possible hoods that may be made, but if they don't get made(or if they're very poor quality), then you'll probably get an order from me.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/10/02 11:56 PM
Summer time would definitely be good for me. I got plenty of "GO" mod's on my car right now, I can use something to freshen up the crappy exterior.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 12/11/02 02:03 AM
CF is also a go mod, it take a good amount of weight off. a friend with a se-r spec-v dropped his time by about .3 sec in 1/8th mile by removing his hood. so you will see a drop of time, not that much, but a good amount and it's constant, not just at the track. it would be sweeeet if i could get show quality red CF hood.
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 02/08/03 03:29 AM
TTT

Anybody really interested in this?
Posted By: slick 95 gl_dup1 Re: Pre 98 carbon fiber hoods!!! - 02/08/03 04:52 PM
i'd be interested and i may know a guy in town that would be interested.

© CEG Archives