Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Swazo Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/26/02 06:50 PM
Don't want to spend tons of cash for a crappy aftermarket clutch? How about a custom ceramic/organic street/strip clutch? I had this one built for my current upgrade for my '98 SVT.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures

$350- Clutch kit including new slave cylinder.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/26/02 10:02 PM
http://www.fototime.com/inv/50E6AD87007E5F8

OOPS! There is a good URL.
Posted By: Superperk_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/26/02 11:19 PM
How does it hold?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/27/02 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Superperk:
How does it hold?

To be honest I'm premature for putting this up before I even get my car back! My bad, I'll get it back tomarrow...but until I get it broke in, that's a good question. BUT, my friend's are running the same lining in their '91 300ZX TT, '91 Civic w/ '00 B20 Hybrid and built Integra trans.(Turbo soon), and a '99 'Stang GT. The hotter it gets, the better it holds. With the other side being an organic material it makes it where you can actually feather it. I can get them with a FULL ceramic clutch disc, but that is the type where it is either in or out.

This is why I bought this clutch to go into my car.

I was going to buy the unorthadox clutch, but I found that kevlar DOES NOT BITE any harder than organic material. Many will even say it doesn't bite as hard atall. It is easy on flywheels though making it where if you go through clutch disc's on a regular basis and wish to attempt to re-use your pressure plate and not resurface your flywheel, you most likely can. Kevlar will also glaze over when coming into contact with any oil contaminant of any kind (Engine oil or tranny fluid). That means NO bite and it'll just spin.
In the past I have also used the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch system and I have never been more pissed off to learn that they use PLASTIC in their clutch face material. I ended up cooking one on my Eclipse GSX after a 1K break in period. It took about less than a month to kiss that one.
I'm getting these custom clutch disc's from a Centerforce, Clutch Master's, and an ACT dealer. I went in asking for a clutch that I can get good holding power and bite, LONG LIFE, and still have it streetable. They grabbed a clutch from each manufacturer and pointed out that NONE of them use pressure plates other than oem ones. They've ran all the parts numbers to make sure, but other than counter weights (On very few models) they only squirt them down with paint and slap a sticker on them. THEN, they got into the disc's they use. I didn't want a pucked disc, so we only spoke about all the full faced or staggerd faced types. They showed that the Clutch Master's is a kevlar/organic blend which shares the undesireable affects of 100% kevlar and oil products. Still a decent clutch, but not for the price. Centerforce......(hahahahahahah), that crap is a PLASTIC blend with organic material! JUNK! ACT clutches I actually liked, but the price was way up there too. (I don't even think they offer a clutch for a Contour.)

After talking extensivly to these guys, I had to think a bit. I took a week and went back and dove back into it with the idea, "Money is no object....I want the best clutch for my car that will last." (I went through clutches in my ol' '96 Eclipse GSX too many times)

So What you would get is up to you, but I chose to get ceramic on the flywheel side and organic material that is backed by metal (better than stock, I'll find out for sure why) on the pressure plate side. If you'd want a full ceramic clutch, I can get them that way. This is based on a Luk Gold series clutch. They drill out the rivits and replace the oem lining with the lining types I have described.

Again I should wait until I get my car back and see how well it works in the SVT platform. But so far, all my friends have run these in most of their cars and they seem to be better than anything I have seen. But, we'll see how well my SVT handels this.

Is there anyone that would be interested in this type of clutch system (Other than myself) if all goes well? Look at my car as the R&D!
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/27/02 03:38 AM
Swazo,
What price range are talking about here? And how many horses are you putting down with your 98 csvt to burn through them so quickly? I have a 98csvt as well, and I've had my clutch for nearly 30k, the first one (worth 20k) had a problem with the clutch line rubbing, so warranty replaced the whole thing. . .

What are the advantages to a full ceramic clutch versus the one you got??
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/27/02 04:06 AM
I haven't had any clutch cooking problems on this car yet, but I really don't want to. I just did my homework to make sure I didn't run into bad clutch issues. The advantages of running a full ceramic would be instant bite. It is not very streetable if atall. It's either in or out, so you pretty much dump it at mid-high rpms.....but say goodbye to your MTX75!
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/27/02 02:58 PM
I'm interested. From the other guys running similar setups I'm assuming it'll hold up to my 3.0L S/C?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/27/02 03:27 PM
Yes, it'd hold up with your 3L and S/C'er.

Oh yeah, these are going for $350 for the Pressure plate, Clutch disc, Slave Cylinder, alignment tool and inspection cover.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/27/02 04:23 PM
what flywheel are you going to run with that?? $350 is a good price for a clutch, if you can hook us up with a flywheel package as well, that'd be great!
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/27/02 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Swazo:
The advantages of running a full ceramic would be instant bite. It is not very streetable if at all. It's either in or out, so you pretty much dump it at mid-high rpms.....but say goodbye to your MTX75!

Isn't this a double negative? Not in sentance structure but why would I put a clutch that only bits well when I dump it only to send a shockwave throught a tranny that can't hold it? And I sure has hell don't want to be in stop and go with a clutch like this, I'll look like I'm 12 learning to drive a stick

I have a centerforce for my SC 3L, IMO its the best street useable clutch that can handle a little abuse every now and then. And remeber if your clutch isn;t slipping a little with a high rpm dump something else is!
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/27/02 06:01 PM
He was comparing the differences between a full ceramic and a ceramic/organic hybrid (what he's offering). The example you quoted is what we are trying to get away from.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/27/02 07:19 PM
We're looking at a hybrid, not a full ceramic, I asked him what the differences were, and he was pointing out that a full ceramic would SUCK, and the hybrid he's offerring for GB is a hybrid since one side is ceramic and the other is metal something or the other.

Just a little clarification. . .swazo, flywheel options???
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/27/02 08:01 PM
Oh ok, it looked as though that was what he was selling. Sounds promising too bad I spent $470 on my clutch.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/28/02 01:20 AM
Isn't this a double negative? Not in sentance structure but why would I put a clutch that only bits well when I dump it only to send a shockwave throught a tranny that can't hold it? And I sure has hell don't want to be in stop and go with a clutch like this, I'll look like I'm 12 learning to drive a stick

I have a centerforce for my SC 3L, IMO its the best street useable clutch that can handle a little abuse every now and then. And remeber if your clutch isn;t slipping a little with a high rpm dump something else is!

Exactly, you guys said it.

The flywheel I'm using is the SHO Shop flywheel, and i sent away for that ish. Sorry i couldn't help on that, but it seems to be a better option for durability because all the others I've seen are aluminium or they are aluminum w/ an insert. Didn't seem too promising.

But these clutchs are great on and off the street from what I've seen my friends do to their cars! I'm just itching to get my car back!!!!!!
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/28/02 01:39 AM
Cool, let us know when you get your car back how it turns out with the SHO flywheel and the hybrid ceramic clutch, and if you like, I'm totally up for it since I've been exploring my options lately. . .

Suneil
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/30/02 01:36 AM
get your car back yet?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 09/30/02 02:01 AM
NO! The bastards were taking their sweet a$$ed time getting the specialty tools from "other than dealer" sources! I shamed them into buying them after they let it sit for 3/4 of a day saying "So.....do I need to buy the tools so YOU can finish MY car....or what?" Saturday it was down to putting the steering back together. :sigh: Monday is the day.........
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 10/01/02 06:57 PM
OK, I can get these $350 clutch packages without a group buy now. So if anyone needs one, hit me up. I am getting my car back today, so we'll see how it does on my car first. I'll post some results after break in, in the Transmission Forum soon.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 10/01/02 11:42 PM
I'll prob get one from you. Just have to rebound from the multitude of stuff I just ordered.
Keep us posted on the performance on this thing!
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 10/02/02 02:08 AM
Well I will be posting anything about these clutchs in the transmission forum as I said before, but just wanted to say that I got my car back today! The clutch pedal is SLIGHTLY stiffer than stock, but it engages like SILK! I am very happy with it so far!!!! Bad thing is now my tranny is going out! It's grinding going into 2nd! Oh well, time for a bulldog!
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 11/26/02 07:45 PM
Available?
How long would it take me to get one?
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 11/26/02 08:04 PM
Yeah, I just bought a new tranny, cause I blew my old one at the track. How does this work? I'm very interested!!! PM if need be! I want one, I want one, I want one!!
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 11/26/02 08:06 PM
I need one, I need one, I need one!!
Posted By: SVTcoop Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/04/03 07:08 AM
How much would it cost to have someone install one of these?
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/04/03 12:19 PM
if you noticed, this thread is three months old and NEVER HAPPENED. And if your gonna pay someone to install, you're gonna pay for remove/reinstall of the tranny. Which is about 11.5 hours book time X about $70 and hour, depending on where you go.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/04/03 05:54 PM
Yuppers, I killed it because I was the only one running the clutch at the time (In a Contique) and I didn't have it in very long. I didn't want to get a GB on a untested clutch and have it crap out.

But since then I have sold one to chknhwk. I have also put some decent miles on one and feel VERY confident that it's going to last a very long time.
This same clutch lining has been proven in other, much more powerful platforms. Durability is up there with all the other aftermarket clutches. It's bite, or launching ability is where this clutch shines! It also engages smoother than an OEM clutch.

This would be a GREAT clutch for those looking for more holding power (3L, FI or N20) and still have a streetable clutch.

So for $325, you get the hybrid organic/ceramic clutch disk, pressure plate, slave cylinder and the alignment tool. Shipping is about $20 or less in the lower 48.

I could've been taxing something outragouse ($500+) because of how much all the other aftermarket clutches ARE. But I'm looking to hook CEG memebers up. We have it tough as it is in the aftermarket area, why twist the knife??
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/05/03 04:23 AM
Is this a one time only price, or will that price be good for a little while. I will probably get one eventually, I just dont need it right now.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/05/03 06:18 AM
Outside of this group buy, you can get them for $350......anytime. When you're ready, just PM or email me.
Posted By: ATL-SVT_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/05/03 01:22 PM
Swazo ya bastad! You're making me second guess putting in my centerforce (which is about 2 weeks out from today)! I just re-read your origional post and all of it makes sense. I think though at this point I almost have to go with my CF due to the time constraints, i.e. my whole driveline upgrade as seen in my sig is going in about 2 weeks from now.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/05/03 08:07 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! OOPS.....my bad!
Posted By: PXRacing Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/06/03 04:55 AM
Pretty much in on this......Will be able to post payment in a week or so from now. Unless for some reason the Clutch craps out on you before than, than I'll just stick with what I got. Basically I want to give you a little more drive time before I'm solid on buying it. Drive'm hard brotha
Posted By: PXRacing Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/08/03 07:50 AM
so whats the scoop with this???? SWAZO

??got me all excited than you go on vacation??
well maybe not vacation but you know what I mean....
Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/08/03 09:56 PM
Well, it's not going well with the GB. I can't get 10 CEG'ers to get in on this all at once, so I'll be selling them for the normal, but still hooked up price of $350 + shipping.

I've been working in Park City all week and have been putting some......."spirited driving" time in on my SVT -vs- all sorts of higher end european cars coming up and down Parley's Canyon. God I love my car!!
Posted By: PXRacing Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/08/03 11:53 PM
Just Curious, even $350 is rather cheap, not that I'm complaining, but just questioning the durability of the product?? I know that alot of the aftermarket clutches do have a higher markup from the factory, how much I don't know. Does the unit come with any type of warranty on it? Another thing, you say that many others have this type of hybrid setup, did they get this setup from the same people your getting it from? If so, how has reliability been on there end?

My biggest concern here is longevity and the amount of abuse the clutch can withstand. I rarely ever baby my motor, since it says alot of racing situations from Solo2 to Drag Racing, I want to be sure that what I'm purchasing will be a logical solution for the Clutchmasters setup I currently have.

Anyway, I've got about a month or more before I receive my 3Liter and It probably won't be till a few weeks later that the motor will go in the car so I've got some time to let you reply to your opinion on the setup over the month. Is this an in stock part or is this made to order?

Posted By: Swazo Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/09/03 08:25 PM
See, I should have TAXED on these clutches because when people see the three hundred and something they write it off as a crappy clutch. You don't have to pay a lot for a good product, I'm just trying to hook you guys up. I'm starting to think that most want to overpay for something to feel good about a performance part.

It comes with a manufature warranty against faulty parts. Just like anyother clutch manufacturer, they won't cover it if YOU cook it. Check with Centerforce, I know I have in the past when I carbaqued their DF clutch in my Eclipse GSX and they just shrugged their shoulders and wanted to know what I wanted them to do about it. I even sent that POS to them to look at in person, and they said it was used in the wrong application and/or I was at fault. That was total BS, they were backpedaling faster then a used car salesman. Even when I showed them that it was the LINING that failed they offered a new disc, but no pressure plate, labor or flywheel resurfacing. They said they had gotten complaints on the same batch of lining that was used on my clutch. BUT, that's all they could do for me. F$#@ that! I know I'm NEVER.....EVER buying a Centerforce product.......EVER again!!!!!!!!

Life span on these clutches are great! I'm jumping on this clutch after many of my friends have been using them in a wide array of performance cars. Wether it be my friends '91 Civic with a NA (For now) B20 w/ BUILT LS Trans., TT 300ZX that sees mostly stip time and uses a FULL ceramic clutch and is on his 2nd in 5 years (Not bad for a stip car!!). Todd also runs a hybrid clutch in his daily driver Mustang GT. The only time any issue has come up was with the FULL ceramic clutch and that's because it got so hot at the track one night that it actually welded itself to the pressure plate and flywheel!! But that is the only issue EVER to come up with these clutched, but since the ones we use are a hybrid of ceramic and organic.......I can't see that ever happening to us.

I'll look up some of the past posts of mine on this clutch and link them here so you and everyone else can see my research into how this clutch compares to others and more info.

-Daymon
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/09/03 08:54 PM
There's no reason for clutches to cost an s-load. The reason CF and UR charge so much is because they can. This just happens to be a fairly new method in clutch design (I know Jim Wolf Technology has been using the organic face for a little bit with good results) that anyone with the means can make. I'm not worried about it being less expensive than the competition b/c that doesn't necessarily mean it's 'cheaper.'
I don't even have mine in yet b/c I'm waiting on my Bnoon 3.0L but the clutch looks sweet. I can't wait to get it in.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/09/03 08:58 PM
Timing on this is great. I think we'll put a turbo behind it and see how it does. I'll pm you Daymon.
Posted By: PXRacing Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/09/03 09:24 PM
Swazo simply put, "I'm relying on what you're telling me regarding this new clutch setup for our car!!!"

The most important thing here is, WARRANTY, WARRANTY, WARRANTY! If the company making the product will stand behind it 110% and will not question a warranty due to product defect or early wear even on racing applications during a certain period of time than I'm all for it. The price only had me questioning the genuieness of the product. I love the price, just making sure the product is up to the task.
Posted By: PXRacing Re: Ceramic Clutch GB - 03/09/03 09:33 PM
Also sorry about the fact that I didn't realize, this post is pretty damn old. I guess you've had alot of seat time to boot on this clutch setup, so it's safe to assume that so far so good, RIGHT???
© CEG Archives