Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Moose_dup1 True Duals for the Duratec - 09/18/02 01:23 AM
Hey all,

I have been talking back and forth with YoDude Performance. We are trying to figure out the interest out there for a true dual setup for our tours. If anyone is interested let me know, the setup is still in question, and there will be some testing time for sure. Any idea's on the setup for those of you who already have true duals and have dyno'd your car, or those who are really happy with your true dual setup, all positive comments would be appreciated! Thanks,
Moose
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/18/02 02:59 AM
I'm interested...
Posted By: DJCASPER2 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/18/02 03:00 AM
I may go for that. Keep me posted.
Posted By: FWD SVT TUNR Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/18/02 08:13 PM
I have been trying to find a shop to do this for quite sometime now, I would be very interested if this was to happen, good luck!!
Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/19/02 05:11 AM
If the price could be kept below the cost of a custom job, or just slightly higher than the current aftermarket offerings, I would definitely be interested, depending on the time table and components used. Anyway, you've got me listening now...
Posted By: Bicycle019_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/19/02 07:50 AM
I'm interested
Posted By: TruBendz Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/19/02 12:03 PM
hey guys,
thanks for the comments, unfortunatly, theres not much of a time table with this. we actually just recently considered looking into it. if the project does get underway, ill let everyone know, and will keep everyone updated on the progress.

have a great day

josh
www.yodudeperformance.com
Posted By: ArcticSVT Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/19/02 08:45 PM
ME=Interested!!!
Posted By: Swazo Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/20/02 02:03 AM
I would be for sure!
Posted By: huey3211 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/24/02 03:05 AM
what is the price and what pipes will u use price
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/24/02 03:08 AM
if there's good fitment, quality steel, and no rasp, i'm in. . .
Posted By: Grunt_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/24/02 05:35 AM
Originally posted by JSUMoose1489:
Hey all,

I have been talking back and forth with YoDude Performance. We are trying to figure out the interest out there for a true dual setup for our tours. If anyone is interested let me know, the setup is still in question, and there will be some testing time for sure. Any idea's on the setup for those of you who already have true duals and have dyno'd your car, or those who are really happy with your true dual setup, all positive comments would be appreciated! Thanks,
Moose

If you do a search for True Duals, you will find someone from Kalamazoo Area in Michigan that has his whole ExtrudeHoned SVT Setup photographed. He's also got a HOW-TO and parts list of what he used and other ideas.

Bah, I forgot this is a new server.... If you want to look at the profiles, it's a Silver SVT. When I get home in a few days, I'll try to find his name and contact info.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/25/02 07:46 PM

This is my set up on my 3L SE. I feel I could have used 2.25" for this larger motor, but this dual 2" set up would be quite fine for all but boosted 2.5L Duratecs out there. All mandrel bent, fits fine, doesn't hang low, and uses the stock hanger locations.
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/25/02 10:57 PM
Brad,

thanks for the visuals! We're hoping that if Yodude decides to go through with it, they'll use 2.5 pipe. We want these duals to be able to fit 2.5L and the 3.0L. As some of us (myself included) will soon be upgrading to the 3.0L. thanks,
Moose
Posted By: Brian M_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/25/02 11:28 PM
Has anybody dynoed a true dual setup yet? I'm very curious to see how it compares to the cat-backs already available.
Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/26/02 04:31 AM
I'm not positive, but I think Grunt is talking about Xchang. certainly sounds like his car anyway.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/27/02 05:05 AM
Yeah, sounds like XChang.
Moose - 2.5" dual piping is too large. Ask the experts!
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/27/02 05:08 AM
2.5 mandrel bent piping is what most aftermarket quasi's use, and Brad Noon is an Expert... So I think I'd have to take his advice.. And how can you go too big?
Moose
Posted By: huey3211 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/27/02 01:33 PM
if you go too big you'll torq. and some HP...2 1/2 is big but it sounds good to me.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/27/02 07:35 PM
2.5 mandrel bent piping is what most aftermarket quasi's use, and Brad Noon is an Expert... So I think I'd have to take his advice.. And how can you go too big?
Moose

For 1, I don't think you'll be able to fit TWO 2.5" pipes in the space provided. 2, I don't think a 2.5L or a 3L could use the airflow capabilities that TWO 2.5" pipes provides. I think it'd slow the exhaust gasses down.

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack this thread. PM Brad Noon and see what he says.
BTW, Mandrel bent true duals = a great idea. Props to you, Moose.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 09/27/02 09:41 PM
You'll want 2.25" for anything unsupercharged. The 2" would be perfect for the 2.5L NA, the 2.25" for 3L NA and SC'ed 2.5L. 2.5" would work for 3L SC'ed cars though.
Posted By: Grunt_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/01/02 04:28 AM
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
I'm not positive, but I think Grunt is talking about Xchang. certainly sounds like his car anyway.

YEP! I couldn't remember who it was... I did lots of research on true duals a year or so ago... when I couldn't afford it LOL.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/01/02 05:13 AM
We're hoping that if Yodude decides to go through with it, they'll use 2.5 pipe.

Dual 2.5" pipe is major overkill. You will actually drop performance due to loss of exhaust velocity.

Even a boosted 3L would have problems pushing enough airflow through dual 2.5" piping.

I definitely hope they do not use this oversized piping!

I even think 2.25" duals would be much too big on all save a boosted 2.5L SVT or well modified 3L.
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/01/02 04:47 PM
2.25??????
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/02/02 10:26 AM
2.25??????

Yes, dual two and one quarter inch pipes = .
Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/02/02 10:21 PM
2" duals provides 6.3 inch2 of flow area...that is more than a 2.5" single (4.9 inch2), more than a 2.75" single (5.9 inch2) and almost as much as a 3" single (7.0 inch2)...I would think this is plenty for ANY N/A 2.5L, probably most if not all but the most extreme N/A 3.0Ls. FI applications may benefit from bigger but that's about it....

None of the 2.5" catbacks (CTA, Brullen) make more power than the 2.25" Bassani (make about the same) on the 2.5L thats at least mild/moderately modded....

SHO Shops aftermarket pipe for a 3L SHO is 2.5 and some of them are at 265 FWHP with this 2.5" single....

Just my 0.2..I think custom mandrel true duals is a great CDW27 open market niche,,go for it!
Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/03/02 12:59 PM
pics of my True dual system. I know they are crush bends. I know they are loud; too loud IMHO. 2.25" piping...
Posted By: Stazi Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/07/02 07:37 PM
My True Duals are for sale, seeing as I am getting my turbo soon. I need a whole exhaust - AGAIN!
Going to single 3" for the turbo cat back.

If you're interested you can have the setup for $550, and I'll install it on your car, if you're in SE Michigan.

Email me anastazi.sarigiannis@aam.com
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/15/02 11:57 PM
got pics?
Posted By: Stazi Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/16/02 01:39 PM
got pics?

http://www.pbase.com/anastazi/svt_pics
Posted By: 97CS Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/16/02 11:36 PM
ok I DO know that there's a difference between psuedo-dual and true-dual, but could someone please lay it out for me, the exact, specific differences/impact it has.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/20/02 02:32 PM
ttt
you still working on this, moose?
i think it's a great idea.
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/20/02 10:56 PM
yeah, not a lot of progress with yoDude I am talking to CTA about it and Brullen as well. I promise, one way or another, this is going to happen.
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/25/02 03:53 PM
Some exciting news from Josh @ YoDude awaits!....

Posted By: Contour_LXsport_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/30/02 02:02 AM
Has there been any word about the exhaust system? I did decide on a Bassani but I like the idea of this setup better.
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/30/02 02:08 AM
Yes,

Josh from Yodude confirmed that this is a go, they are in the designing stages now, they have a pretty good idea on what they are going to do. There will be a diff combinations of setups, diff mufflers, w/ or w/out resonator, SS or Aluminized etc. He said that they should be ready this spring, with a SLIGHT, as in 5% chance they'ed be ready by Dec. He didn't want to give a price, but they make quality stuff at rock bottom prices, I can assure you these will be well below custom duals. He is supposed to post here soon. I will try to get in touch with him to remind him. He'll go over the details and try to clear up anything people need to know.
Moose
Posted By: Contour_LXsport_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/30/02 03:12 AM
Wow thats a long wait. I might go ahead and install the Bassani and see what performance gains it produces.
Posted By: FWD SVT TUNR Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/30/02 03:00 PM
thats awesome!! I just installed my y-pipe, so it looks like I will be getting rid of that!!(anybody wanna buy one in december) What size piping will be used? and what will we do for cats?
Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/30/02 03:10 PM
Hmmm.....now I might have to put ordering all my ehxuast pieces on hold. Hopefully josh posts some details pretty soon as to pipe size and muffler options etc. Spring sounds like just about perfect timing for me.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/30/02 04:08 PM
I'm getting stoked for this, I'm getting tired of the cabin rattle my bassani+y-pipe cause, ready for a true dual, headers back baby!
Posted By: The_Realest Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 10/30/02 10:32 PM
Originally posted by 97CS:
ok I DO know that there's a difference between psuedo-dual and true-dual, but could someone please lay it out for me, the exact, specific differences/impact it has.

True dual exhaust is dual pipes running from the headers back

Ohhhh I want I want I want!!
Posted By: gabrielito23 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 11/02/02 03:04 AM
Any word yet?
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 11/02/02 03:57 AM
email josh at yodude96@aol.com for details....
Posted By: TruBendz Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 11/03/02 12:40 AM
hey guys,
as of now, it looks like we'll be able to make the kit. however, we're backed up with afew other projects, as well as x-mas season, so it looks like we wont have anything till spring. like moose said, theres a chance we may have something late december also. (but i would plan for spring though).
as for the pipe diameter. having not built the kit yet, its hard to tell what it will come with. most likly though, it will use 2.25 inch for the 3.0, this should be optimum size. we should always be able to use 2 inch, and 2.5 if space permits. however the 2.5 may be overkill for some cars.
the kits will always be in SS or aluminized. at this point, theres no way to predict prices, till we start getting something together. just for those wondering though, a VERY BROAD PRICE would be a $500.00-$800.00. <---i'd rather not even put a price, but i know some people may want to know.
lastly, the design will definatly have flexpipes and an x-crossover. muffler types, and use of resonators is unknown as of now.
i hope this helps guys, ill keep everyone updated on the progress, as it comes.

have a great day

josh
YD Performance
Posted By: SPGVT_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/12/02 03:11 PM
Any update/develloppment on this ???

I know we're just in december, and YoDude talk about spring, but I can't wait for this setup .
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/12/02 10:57 PM
not sure, I'll get a hold of Josh and let ya know.

Moose
Posted By: SVTcoop Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/13/02 04:31 AM
I'm with ya! I was thinking of a shoshop y pipe and a yodude exhaust....but screw that, I want true duals!

One question though...this won't be any harder to install than installing the y pipe and a new exhaust, will it?

Thanks,
SVTcoop
Posted By: BDR Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/13/02 04:38 AM
i just put on some true duals with x-pipe and "OH MY GOD" wat a diffrence. kinda loud, but the gains are "VERY,VERY " noticable!
Posted By: JonnyBSVT_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/13/02 07:19 PM
I got a question, Do the true duals that you are trying to make fit right up to the stock headers or what?
Posted By: SVTcoop Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/13/02 09:12 PM
That is basically my question too...anyone?

SVTcoop
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/14/02 05:36 AM
yes, they will fit right up to the stock headers.
Posted By: JonnyBSVT_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/14/02 09:09 PM
Alriht, so what happens if perhaps I bought the msds headers for my ride to replace the stock headers?? How will these bolt up then or are they the same measurements or what?
Thanks for the help.
Jon
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/15/02 01:16 AM
that was one of my main concerns when I talked to Josh. They will line up to the headers just like the stock exhaust does, hence there being no problem with the fit using the MSDS headers.
Moose
Posted By: JonnyBSVT_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/16/02 07:26 PM
Well then that take care of my concerns. How is the project going?
Posted By: jojolmnop Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/16/02 10:00 PM
so theoretically, this should fit the cougar as well??
Posted By: 303GreenDestiny Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/16/02 10:14 PM
Spring would be a perfect time for me to be able to afford this setup, So I am in as long as the Dyno is proven larger gains then my setup now.
Posted By: Moose_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/17/02 12:18 AM
I will email Josh and have him post to let everyone know what's going on.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/17/02 06:04 AM
so is this no good for us ca resedents? Or are you gonna run two seperate cats?
Posted By: AirKnight Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/18/02 05:49 AM
Originally posted by jojolmnop:
so theoretically, this should fit the cougar as well??

No. Cougar has a different gas tank and rear muffler locations.

I'm interested if it uses 16 gauge or thicker TT-304 SS, with 2.25" pipings, spring bolts (NOT flex pipe), and have two straight through mufflers. Otherwise I'll go custom.
Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/19/02 01:32 AM
Originally posted by dubkatz:
so is this no good for us ca resedents? Or are you gonna run two seperate cats?

i just got the true duals bug today for the most part but then the thought of 'no cats' left me wondering...and prolly out in the cold thanks to our emissions standards...i just passed smog last week so i could conceivably go with this setup and at least get a couple yrs of entertainment from it...im guessing i would be ready to try something else by the time smog rolls around again and maybe move on to a good single setup

im hoping the exhaust isnt too loud tho...i want the power it can bring and a nice v8ish sound but i dont want people to hear me coming from half a block away...me no like explaining things to the sherrif
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/22/02 01:36 AM
maybee we could run two small cats... And just think if we ran two small cats it would quite it down alot too. Maybee thell make a kit with cats and a kit without.
Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/23/02 07:12 AM
i thought about if 2 cats was possible to do re: enuff room underneath to fit a pair...maybe its time to look around the web and see what i can find
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/23/02 08:33 AM
If its less than a brullen exaust and yipipe ill buy it
Posted By: WESSVT Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 12/24/02 05:00 AM
im interested give me some more specs. keep me posted
Posted By: TruBendz Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 01/08/03 02:31 PM
hoheys guys,
this is kinda turning into a mess with all the replies and the e-mails im recieving. BUT, no worries. let me just post some more info to clarify.

as for the kit probably not being ready till spring, is not because it will take us that long to make it, but because we do not have time to make it now. Spring time looks like our best shot for the kit to be made.

with that in mind. for the time being, we have no plans at all to make the kit now. its gunna have to wait till spring.

from the number of hands i saw resonding to the two threads, i'd say theres definatly some interest. when we get closer to a better date of completion, i'll test all those really interested and make a post for deposits.

as for pipe diameter and material. here's what i can definatly tell you know. the kit will definatly come in aluminzied and stainless. as for diameter, it will most likly come with 2 or 2.25 inch tubing. however, we'll need to test both setups. if we do offer both diameters, there will not be a difference in price. for those of you already requesting 2.25 inch. we still think 2 inch will be enough, but thats why were going to run some tests.

as for us using a cougar for the test kit. the contour is basically the same car. dont worry, we'll be able to modify the kit to fit a contour.

and finally the price. there seems to be alot of talk about the price of the kit. i would just like to refer to page 5 of this thread, where i made a point to mention "i never wanted to quote a price" but i did only for a reference. the price i mentioned has seemed to run like a fish on a line. this is not an aveage catback exhaust guys. the price was only an estimate. HOWEVER, keep in mind. I'll use the Mustang as an example. most of us know what a mustang exhaust looks like. it consists of an x-pipe and catback. the average system in ALUMINIZED steel with cats is $700.00. the average system without cats is $500.00 for the mustang. my point with this is, the mustang exhaust is basically the same thing as the contour kit. they both have an x-pipe and a catback. even our regular catback and y-pipe with cat for the contour sell for $600.00. this true dual exhaust will definatly use more pipe and alot more bends, than the average catback kit we have now.

all im trying to say, is to give some of you a frame of reference with these prices. and for that matter, none of these prices are written in stone yet, they can go down just as well as they can go up. (hopefully not up though, LOL)

hope all this helps, im sorry its so long. i didnt mean to bash anyone or be negative with this post. i just didnt want this thread to get out of control. HEHE

have a great day guys
josh
YD Performance
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 01/09/03 07:22 PM
I could easily wait until spring. . .no money right now, timing would be better, and that is a reasonable price as well. . .with the amount of piping, the xpipe, that's a god deal. . .but we'll wait for the final price. . .
Posted By: AirKnight Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 01/09/03 10:55 PM
Will you be selling a kit with no cat, and no flex pipe (using the spring bolt kind of deal like on some V6's)? I think I can gain a lot on my hybrid if I do this true dual and headers versus my current setup (mystery pre-cats, optimized y-pipe, mystery cat pipe, and brullen cat-back for those who wants to know). I don't mind waiting 'til even summer either because there are so much stuff I want/need to get right now I don't have enough money for everything all at once.
Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 01/09/03 11:49 PM
good update josh...now block your email
Posted By: MonkeyBiz_dup1 Re: True Duals for the Duratec - 01/10/03 06:17 PM
Spring would be perfect for me too...Tax refund season!

© CEG Archives