Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Who here would be interested in carbon fiber OEM style hoods? What this would require is a single donor car from the SF Bay Area who would get hooked up with a free hood. The hood would be 2x2 twill, UV resistant coated, guaranteed fitment and quality, as well as warranty (not sure the term), carbon fiber with fiberglass underframe, at approx 60% weight reduction from stock at least.

To get the group buy price of $289 each we need a minimum of 25 hoods, there will be no cost to make the plug, no mold fees, just the $289 per hood + shipping. Shipping costs will obviously vary, and I will have to look that up.

I'm not sure we'd be able to pull off 25 units, but what this will do for you guys is get a major aftermarket parts manufacturer to start with one product for you guys, then possibly create more.

If you need to know whether or not I am a reputable group-buyer, please feel free to check me out on the NECO forums, where my partner and I have succesfully transacted at least 5 group buys with no issues whatsoever and nothing but happy customers. If you have more concerns, I will be happy to provide you with phone numbers of parts suppliers/mfgrs that we've dealt with who can vouch for us. I only say all this because I realize a 25-person group buy at $289 a hood is huge.

In any case, post interest or PM me!
No ill will or anything, but Showtime has already set up a GB for OEM CF hoods and they are deep into the process. So it looks unlikely that we will be able to get another 25 people to commit to a GB like this, it has taken eons for Showtime to find enough people to bite on his deal. Thanks for looking into this for us though, very much appreciated!
If you can hold off for six months or so I am game. I have other things to tend to right now...

-Antonio
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/14/02 02:33 AM
put a functional hood scoop in it and i'm game
A functional hood scoop would require a little more work and probably raise the price just a little bit, and this group buy doesn't have to happen now, a few months down the road is fine. I wasn't aware of Showtime's GB though, I guess I should have read a few pages down!

Welp, if anyone is interested, let me know, it's not something that has to happen right away, but I know you guys would like more aftermarket support in the cosmetics area, so we thought we might help out by talking to a major mfgr.
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/14/02 04:09 AM
Looking around, it'd cost me the same price to get a scoop molded into my current (heavy) hood as it would cost to get these CF hoods with the scoop already in it. It's the only selling point that interests me. It's the main reason I didn't get in on showtimes GB, aside from the whole money thing lol!
do it months from now and with a functional scoop and i'm in. use of hood pins makes it even lighter,, so maybe do that too,, who needs stock latches anyways?
email me (see sig). I'll donate
Place a dual hood scoop on that baby and i'm like sin!~!!!!~!
I'll be interested since it is too late to get into Showtime's group buy.
Okay, I checked and the warranty on these would be limited lifetime warranty vs. manufacturing defects such as splitting of the C/F, etc. Hood scoops will have to wait until I make a phone call next week. And pending I can nail down exclusivity on this GB for you guys, I will be able to release the mfgr's name as well.
i'd go for it if it had a scoop OR vents, i'd prefer vents personally but this is minor squabbling, otherwise i'm continuing with the mustang scoop this winter
Functional hood vents, lots of protection over carbon and i'm in. This spring would be best though.
I'm a definate. Keep the details coming. OEM style is fine for me.

Bernie Williamson
Originally posted by lilbern:
I'm a definate. Keep the details coming. OEM style is fine for me.

Bernie Williamson

I second that. OEM STYLE for me as well.

-Antonio
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/15/02 08:50 PM
There must be some sort of scoop! Showtime's GB was OEM style...and people like myself held back because of that. Gauge interest for each atleast...but for me it has to have a scoop.
Just out of curiousity what type of scoop are you talking about? Wouldn't it be functional only if it were placed right over the intake, and only be effective with the KKM filter? Just wondered. I personaly think heat scavenging vents would be much more highly effective and look cleaner too. My .02
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/15/02 10:50 PM
it would be functional if you had an open element air filter (which many people do). Even if yo uhad a stock airbox there would be no ill efects. Heat scavenging vents are fine...and a welcome feature, but the scoop is essential IMO.
Lets scoop it up! Put the scoop next to the intake area w/vents over the engine area

Oh and i'm still willing to donate
i got a pre 98.

Ill get one if it has a scoop too.My car runs toooooo hot so that will help alot. I will wait
Posted By: hydro Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/16/02 03:44 PM
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
There must be some sort of scoop! Showtime's GB was OEM style...and people like myself held back because of that. Gauge interest for each atleast...but for me it has to have a scoop.

my thoughts exactly. Antonio was bitching about the same thing when Showtimes GB was getting off the ground

a scoop is a necessity and I would pay extra for it if necessary.
Originally posted by nyceboi:
Lets scoop it up! Put the scoop next to the intake area w/vents over the engine area

Oh and i'm still willing to donate

Yup a scoop and i am in...for sure... be diffrent...not oem that was a turn off oem but... i am down...
Scoop me up for one with a chalk, No wait... Chalk me up for one with a scoop.
All in favor of a scoop say "I"

"I"
Scoop or vents...not OEM...and of course, since I want the car to look stock, will the CF be paintable?
eye
AYE
Originally posted by Chris Arslanyan:
Scoop or vents...not OEM...and of course, since I want the car to look stock, will the CF be paintable?

Pretty much what I would be looking for too...
Originally posted by HellaHydro:

my thoughts exactly. Antonio was bitching about the same thing when Showtimes GB was getting off the ground

a scoop is a necessity and I would pay extra for it if necessary.

Hahah pretty funny. I was not prepared for the first GB, but I will be for this one. If me wanting OEM style is slowing things up. By all means go with the scoops.
Me too. I just want a CF hood. As long as the vent or scoop is nice looking. What ever is the easiest for everyone to agree on.

Keep it rollin,

Bernie
do the reverse cowl induction type thing,,, u know where it goes higher near the windshield
I am with him on that oneâ?¦.I think that the cowl hood would be the PIMP way to do itâ?¦It will still hold the "sexy" curves of the stock hoodâ?¦I think vents would be some what tacky, but thatâ??s just what I thinkâ?¦
so lets get this ball rollin

EATS RICE BURNERS
Whoa nelly. Didn't expect this many replies. Should've checked the forum sooner.

For those that want vents, would you guys want me to talk to a company like Aerogear about a hood they already make and see if they want to offer it for another car? They have the 'Predator' series hood which has vents in the hood, and it'd probably be made with the stock bodylines in the hood.

You can check out an example of a Predator hood here:

You guys want this or OEM style? Got a couple of people to talk to for either one, but I have no problems trying to get it done...
Posted By: hydro Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/17/02 02:16 PM
yes predator hood would be fantastic. if you wanted to see how many people they needed to go in on a GB for that hood, that would be good. then we could round up everyone and make it happen. i know a few guys who would be interested in one off the bat.
i'd pay the grip for a fiberglass predator hood
I'd get a CARBON one also. Yes, the vents would be great. I have the money ready. Please let us know when this can happen.
I talked to AG and they said that Predator hoods were just recently started in production in C/F, I'll ask tomorrow about hoods for the 'tour.

I don't know what cost is going to look like on a Predator hood vs. a OEM style though, so keep that in mind. I'll definitely make sure I ask though.

(EDIT: NOTE- The picture in my previous post was linked directly from the Aerogear site. I do not accept or claim ownership of that picture nor do I endorse that I am using it for advertising purposes, simply that I am using it to show people what the hood looks like. To visit Aerogear's website, go to www.aerogear.net )
If you can get them made for 95-97 Tour's; I take a set regardless of scoop or OEM, I just want to lose weight
IMHO-a carbon fiber hood with vents similiar to the Jaguar XKR(similiar to Cossie vents, but flush mounted) would be awesome! Looks stock from afar, yet it would still allow hot air to escape the engine compartment. Carbon fiber to lighten up the front end, vented to cool the engine.
Originally posted by wavrdr:
IMHO-a carbon fiber hood with vents similiar to the Jaguar XKR(similiar to Cossie vents, but flush mounted) would be awesome! Looks stock from afar, yet it would still allow hot air to escape the engine compartment. Carbon fiber to lighten up the front end, vented to cool the engine.

Agreed. CF hood with flush mounted Cossie-style vents and I'm in.

I think the Predator hood narrows down the market - I doubt you could get more than 10 people for a GB. Plus making the CF hood a Predator style would jack up the price.

I think a CF hood with simple vents is something that most could agree on - a lightweight hood with a way for heat to escape and keep the price down.
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:
Originally posted by wavrdr:

Agreed. CF hood with flush mounted Cossie-style vents and I'm in.

I think the Predator hood narrows down the market - I doubt you could get more than 10 people for a GB. Plus making the CF hood a Predator style would jack up the price.

I think a CF hood with simple vents is something that most could agree on - a lightweight hood with a way for heat to escape and keep the price down.

agreed here as well.
Posted By: hydro Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/17/02 07:45 PM
well its good that we explore all options and i think it's established that the majority wants some type of vent or hood scoop. I'm up for anything with a scoop as long as it's a clean design.
I want a CF hood either predator or not but a CF predator would be a soooo nice
IF anyone wants to see what a few scoops look like on the TOUR, let me know and i'll send you the pics so you can post them up here... Photo Shop Pics complements of Sho Nuff~
Posted By: 97CS Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/18/02 05:23 AM
so these hoods do not fit pre-98's? i don't feel like readin eveyr post and such and im curious, I got a '97
i'll take some thing diffrent from oem style....cowl induction...god how sweet,,,,but scoops,and vents would be nice. like i said diffrent is great...........
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:

I agree. I would love to have CF with predator but the price could be so high and I need money for the body kit.
I think something like THIS would be cool.....the hood looks like OE but with the cossie vents as previously mentioned.

i know the pic isn't the best - but you get the idea.

Something like this but a little more tame would be nice. But i still like the idea of offseting the cowl induction over the intake area and vents up top.
I think it would look better with the same contour as our factory hood(no lines), and with the vents further to the outside-like 4-6" in from the hood line. C'mon guys, I need to lighten up that front end some more.
I agree that a hood scoop and vents are a must!! If you are going to buy something, might as well be something you want. I am also looking at the X-1 fender GB I think the vents on the hood and the fenders would look pretty sharp, but anyway if you get that done count me in!!!
I just hope that this would go through
I think that a scoop right over the intake area would be nice. If you make something like that. I would be more than happy to deposit my pyment even now!
Street-Concepts tried to do the Predator hood already and the buy failed. Perhaps it was his timing but I think it is a little to taste specific to meet the quota for production and the price. I am interested in carbon fiber with vents like in the Saleen sketch found in GR8SVT's link. I'm just not sure the scoop would flow right and it's hard to mess up vents.
In reply to:

I am interested in carbon fiber with vents like in the Saleen sketch found in GR8SVT's link. I'm just not sure the scoop would flow right and it's hard to mess up vents.

ditto...

vents gaurantee functional cooling and the weight loss sounds good.

I see a long windy road ahead though...
DANG you guys post way faster than I can catch up with.

Okay, when the mfgr comes back from NOPI, I'll speak with them and see what can be done, cool? I'll be at Laguna Seca tomorrow anyway, so not much I can do this weekend.
Posted By: KUtour Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/21/02 01:06 PM
NorCalCoug, just make sure that you realize that pre 98's have a diffrent hood design than post 98's. You don't want 2 leave any of the pre 98 tours hanging out 2 dry here.
I'd be in for any CF hood. I couldn't get in on Showtime's. OEM would be great, but the majority here are saying vents or scoops. I'll take what i can get, but i'd prefer vents over scoops anyday.
Originally posted by KUtour:
NorCalCoug, just make sure that you realize that pre 98's have a diffrent hood design than post 98's. You don't want 2 leave any of the pre 98 tours hanging out 2 dry here.

Well, I don't wanna leave anyone out to dry, but they can only do a single hood design for one batch, so it's whichever group of 'tours will make enough people for the GB.

I've been watching this group buy also. I would prefer a hood with vents. As soon as I see a basic design I will make my decision.
Do like on the mustangs and make it a cowl hood it will make the car look mean . Just make the middle hump of the hood bigger, It will let the heat out and still have the stock curves.the curves is what makes the contour look so good. That predator hood looks like all of the other import JUNK. Even the cowl with the two vents would look good.

huey3211@hotmail.com
Originally posted by huey3211:
Do like on the mustangs and make it a cowl hood it will make the car look mean . Just make the middle hump of the hood bigger, It will let the heat out and still have the stock curves.the curves is what makes the contour look so good. That predator hood looks like all of the other import JUNK. Even the cowl with the two vents would look good.

huey3211@hotmail.com

COWL INDUCTION HOODS WITH VENTS.
well just cowl then ..... what NOS kit do you have and where did u get it....
Vents here as well... something like the M3 GTR hood, flush venting so it wouldn't look different until close up.

I'd prefer stealth-performance over rice-appearance!!
Agreed.

but I would love to see some kind of scoop just like the WRX has. Or something like that just a little more rounded off. You see what I mean? Anyone see what I mean?
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/24/02 10:20 PM
yeah the scooby scoops would look fine IMO, but whatever, as long as it's functional and looks cool.
how we doing on this? Baby needs a Carbon Fiber Hood by January
I want CF with vents!
Originally posted by nyceboi:
how we doing on this? Baby needs a Carbon Fiber Hood by January

Working on it. I'm seeing the mfgr on friday morning. I definitely want to get this done for you guys, so let's see what we can do, huh? Most likely if it'll be anything, it'll be vents, since any other modification requires more shop time and as we all know more shop time == more money.
Anyone have better pics of the cossie-style vents, or a drawing of the vent placement?
Sorry if had been asked, this gonna be for 95-97 tour's too?
Best I could do...just some ideas.

Gotta go flush mounted.
Heres some pics of what I have found that some people might want or like:

Originally posted by shaun95gt:
Heres some pics of what I have found that some people might want or like:

That would look badass if it didn't have the "hump" I seen a CF hood on a bimmer like that but the vent was flush mounted like the hoods on the Ferrari F40.
yes this hood right here.....that would be bad ass
I'm sorry but the hoods that are listed in SVT ST PETE'S post look like they are worth nothing we need something to enhance the contour name.

Originally posted by blackjacksvt:
I'm sorry but the hoods that are listed in SVT ST PETE'S post look like they are worth nothing we need something to enhance the contour name.

Functional vents are worth nothing?

According to the poll, over 80% want vents over scoops.

Vents will raise the price slightly - more people will be in on the GB. Scoops will jack up the price considerably - less people in and GB wont happen.

Posted By: BDR Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/27/02 05:01 AM
why don't you just do it like this!!!!!!!!!
Please get this rolling. I finally have the money for the hood.
Originally posted by imprtKLLR:
why don't you just do it like this!!!!!!!!!

Well because thats the Predator hood that was previously mentioned earlier in this post
DON"T DO IT IN THE PREDATOR HOOD STYLE!!! THEY ARE PLAYED OUT
Originally posted by RichSVT:
DON"T DO IT IN THE PREDATOR HOOD STYLE!!! THEY ARE PLAYED OUT
Yeah they are!
would buy right away a standard 98 hood.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/30/02 02:16 AM
NorCalCoug, I'm guessing it's going to take you to tell us what you can and can't do. Stock, vented, scoop........whatever. As long as it's NOT riced out! CLEAN is a must! Is it going to be in a raw, unpolished form? It's getting to the point where choices have to be made. Like always, this is IMO!
Lets do this, before I spend my MONEY!! hurry hurry hurry
yea lets keep it clean.....i would go with a stock one def. otherwise i have to see it.
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 09/30/02 02:37 PM
Showtimes GB was for stock hoods...a bunch of people, myself included didn't get in on it because we couldn't gte functional scoops or vents (which only make perfect logical sense, we all know the under hood temp problems with these cars!). It's only fair that these get some sort of scoop or vent.
Showtimes GB was for stock hoods...a bunch of people, myself included didn't get in on it because we couldn't gte functional scoops or vents (which only make perfect logical sense, we all know the under hood temp problems with these cars!). It's only fair that these get some sort of scoop or vent.

Agreed...
w3rd
I hear ya folks. We're talking with the mfgr today (they were out due to NOPI) and will have at least SOME info later today. We'll look over some possible design ideas, ask you guys what you want, then find out from the mfgr if it's doable and still trying to keep within the same general price range that we quoted.
w3rd!!

Okay folks, here's the lowdown:

In order to get the vents, me and my business partner have to get the mold tooled (either by the mfgr or by another shop). They will then make the C/F hood off of that mold.

The hood would be branded by us, feature a 1 year warranty from the mfgr against defects. They would be high-gloss UV coated.

We'll be talking with the mfgr to get final cost numbers so we can turn around and give you guys a final price. Let's get this rolling!
I think I speak for lots of us when I say we're just waiting on your final numbers($) and vents or not...
iprtkllr is not bad....i wouldnt want ne thing bulging or those luver type vents.....its a lil too late 80 styling that doesnt go well with the lives of an svt.
Then what type of vents were you thinking about? We'll gladly take ideas if you can show us examples of vents you do like
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/01/02 03:18 PM
If it came down to it, I'd GLADLY pay 289 for a CF STCOK hood. JMO..........
Okay folks, here's preliminary shipping cost info:

Shipping will be handled on a drop-ship basis by the mfgr. Shipping will be $100 dollars anywhere in the lower 48 states to a business, add $30 for residential shipping. In California, shipping is $65 to a business. You can order up to 2 hoods per single address to save on shipping costs (I.E, if you send 2 hoods to one location, it's 100 bucks)

Hood costs are looking like they'll be in the neighborhood of the quoted price, maybe up to 35 bucks higher but we can't be sure until we talk to a place that can tool the hood for us. IF anyone has ideas on the vents, post pics or ideas, otherwise we'll come up with something and post here for your approval
Wooohoooo!!! Lemme know when its goin down. What time frame are we looking at?

BTW - Page 11 own3d!!
I cant wait until this finally goes through!!! You can definately count me in!!!
the guys at the mfg company come up with any vent/scoop ideas?
Why don't you do something like the Saleen Mustangs or even the new Cobras?
why is shipping so high? is this by truck? do it by greyhound or something.
Posted By: S9V8T Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/03/02 10:09 PM
now thats of the chain..if I can get a hood like the one on the right side i will buy one even though I am not intrested in a hood right now
do vents let water in? isn't this dangerous? i know someone that cut some vents into their civic hood and put plexiglass over part of the engine. would we have to cover part of the engine if we got vents?
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
why is shipping so high? is this by truck? do it by greyhound or something.

That shipping price is the flat rate fee. IF you want to pay COD for the shipping, it will possibly be cheaper. The hoods have to be shipped via freight due to the size of the hood + packaging. Normally for most companies, shipping is determined like this:

1 pound per cubic foot base rate. 1-2 dollars per pound. So, even if the hood only weighs, say, 20 pounds in the packaging, or even 30, the size of the package will give them a 'base weight' to calculate cost off of, or in this case, roughly 80-90 dollars, that's from one major metro area to another. The mfgr. can get us a better deal on freight due to their high volume of shipments, so they charge a flat rate, whether it's to Nevada from CA, or to NY from CA. Like I said, you have the option of COD for delivery, which will probably be cheaper in most situations. When the group buy gets close to going through, we'll let you guys choose on an individual basis what you want, and find out for you.

For the vent design, the mfgr. company would have to charge us to design it, so it's in our best interest to come up with our own. As for water issues, many cars have vents and don't have such issues.. I don't think it'll be a problem, myself.

I'm in when do we send the money?
We'll get you guys that info once we get the design for the hood finalized

But, we're getting this made for you guys, so we want you to be 100% happy with it:) Thats why we'd like all of your input for vent designs, as we try to do our best to achieve complete customer satisfaction
i saw a good design on stock 81 datsun 240zx hood...vents on both sides of reverse cowl,, make it look a little better and it would be very effecient on removing heat and look realll cooool.
geez i bet a C/B hood would look a little ODD on a sivler SE .......you talk about OUT OF PLACE
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/05/02 02:45 PM
If done properly....not really...and i have plans for it that will make it look very at home on my car.
ship on greyhound and it will be less than $50 most anywhere in the US. that is how i got mt bumper and it only took 2 or 3 days from NY to ohio. i have a buddy that shipped a fiberglass prelude hood on greyhound from ohio to FL and it cost him about $30........maybe want to look into that.

i would be interested i a hood at a later date, but now i have too many other things going on....

Ben
I want to get in on this if it has vents molded into it. First I have to get rid of the hood I already have. It's too heavy.
I'd like to get in on this one!

When are things going to be finalized?

mikey
Posted By: Kubiak Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/06/02 05:33 AM

something like that looks good to me

perhaps a bit less angly and more streamlined vents would fit the tours lines better

if the vents look good, and perhaps the shipping goes down a little, im in

my hood has a few chips, and i might as well go with a custom hood instead of repainting

speaking of painting, can carbon fiber be painted easily? what about texture, will it ever be as smooth as steel?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/06/02 09:27 AM
Ok, why is everyone so against the OEM style CF hood???? I want a CF hood, and I want it soon............stop this side BS!!!!
Because there is already a GB for OEM Style CF Hoods... the people here didnt get in on that one because they want vents!
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/06/02 03:24 PM
even see a 94-95 GT mustang? those little vents it has on either side of the hood? that could work ok...but there still has to be something on or around the intake area.
Let's get them going. I'm getting anxious.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/06/02 11:39 PM

OK, the reason I am doing this is to see where the majority is standing. I'm noticing no one can agree on ish, so we all need to actually decide what the Group Buy is aiming for......right?
For shipping: The manufacturer will be drop-shipping these from their facility, via insured freight carrier. The reason why it would be hard for us to do this via another freight carrier, or greyhound or something is because that would require us to go to the mfgr's warehouse, pick up 20 hoods in boxes that will measure about 5x5x8", then transport those to wherever the freight house is, then get them shipped out, etc. Time on truck rental, gas, etc, will all eat into shipping cost and probably end up adding price to it close enough to the 100 bucks that it wouldn't matter.

Remember, the 100 bucks is a flat-rate fee. IF you wish to pay COD, the shipping could be cheaper than that; once we get the ball rolling I can take delivery addresses and find out how much it will cost. The closer you live to a major metro area, the more likely it is the shipping fee will be lower.
** bump ** My girl friend thinks mah car is sexy.. I love it when she gets turned on by my car.. having a CF hood would turn her on more.. in other words.. I want
I am on for functional vents, something like the 03'
cobra would be great.
How many people are in? I would like to see this get done soon.
For the tenth thousand time. cowl induction hood with vents.......god need i say more.
Cowl + vents = more money
Cowl + vents = less people in the GB -> therefore no GB

Keep it simple (flush mounted vents), more people will be in.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/08/02 08:56 PM
It's seems like that is the case, the majority wants functional vents. I would just like to see what exactly we get and for how much. So is it '03 Cobra style vents we are all aiming for??
Something like what old Eclipses have would look nice. Plus its right over the intake.
almost 8 pages an no resolution
Okay guys!

DEVIOUSDEV and I are going to be drawing up some designs for vents over the next few days; we'll post them shortly afterwards for your approval. We would appreciate it if you guys have any ideas and want to post pictures so we can get a clue of what you're looking for. In the end it will help everybody.
YOUR A GOOD MAN
Thank you! Good man. We need some progress.
NorCal, please view the Jaguar XKR's hood. I attempted to link pictures from Jag's website, but was unsuccessful. If you take notice, the hood a has a FLUSH mounted vent similiar to the Cossie vents on each side of the hood. IMHO, this style looks amazing, and nearly camouflage from afar. If you're able to post pictures of that hood on this thread, I'm nearly certain we'll have a majority of the groups' approval. Thanks for taking the iniative to help us Tour guys get a vented CF hood, and if this thing is for real(vented), then I am most certainly in!
Those vents look great! Barely even noticeable, but my question is this. Are they actually functional?
I believe that they are... when the Jag first came out, Autoweek said that they enjoyed watching the heat ripples coming out of the vents as the car sat still at lights or parking lots!!!

Would be nice, is this the pic??? Damn, I just bought a very expensive CF hood from the last GB, might have to get this one for summer months when TX is hot (self-justification)

Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/10/02 02:20 AM
The has to be something OVER the intake area...whatever else is up to you guys.
Originally posted by ssmumich00:

Would be nice, is this the pic??? Damn, I just bought a very expensive CF hood from the last GB, might have to get this one for summer months when TX is hot (self-justification)

Okay, I can work with something like that. Subtle but functional.

-Antonio

Well, if the battery is relocated to the trunk, you can possibly make a cold air box that is fed by one of the vents. I think those vents are so sexy, and as Antonio stated, subtle, yet functional. If the vents can be places higher up on the hood, closer to the intake area, I think people would be very happy, if they still look as subtle. Anyone want to photoshop some hoods with these vents in them?

This is over the intake area, smooth, muscular. . .if this is the design, I'm in because it's very subtle and not tacky. . .
ME LIKE TOO
Posted By: BDR Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/10/02 04:49 AM
wat about like this!

i would LOVE a mystique style hood for my contour! i'd be in heaven!! and it would be mad easy to add a scoop to that design too... like a mustang style one at the top only smoothed in.
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/10/02 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Chris Arslanyan:

Well, if the battery is relocated to the trunk, you can possibly make a cold air box that is fed by one of the vents. I think those vents are so sexy, and as Antonio stated, subtle, yet functional. If the vents can be places higher up on the hood, closer to the intake area, I think people would be very happy, if they still look as subtle. Anyone want to photoshop some hoods with these vents in them?

I do plan on moving the battery to the trunk one day...but the "possibility" of building a box that would work is not good enough. it should be over the stock intake area so ANYONE will be able to use the hood with no problems. Just my .02c
Any updates?
So you guys want louvered vents like the Jag? Not my cup of tea, but it's your guys' hood not ours. I don't even drive a 'tour.

I'm apparently stupid and don't know how to start a poll, so can someone start a poll on whether or not you'd buy one with the Jag style louvered vents (in a well placed location) or not? Thanks!

Just checking to see how many are actually interested.

I want a vent but don't really care if there is one or not as long as I have a CF hood.
i dont care as long as it looks good, but i wouldnt buy it if it had vents as big as that jag, those hoods are huge compared to ours, and imho, they look like sh!t on the jag... but as always different car, i'd like to see a drawling or two
there are more votes in the poll for what kind of hood vs. the poll for if you are in on the GB.

The Jag hoods look like a$$ in my opinion, they would be too big for our cars

I'm looking for something like a scoop over the intake area and vents windshield side or above the engine side.
Oh I guess I should add this,

Even though I dont' like the Jag hood, I never noticed them on the XKR's around town

So that might work...
how about a nice NACA duct over the intake area and some holes at the back of the hood to vent? similar to the predator vents that are at the front but no crazy slopes?

somethin like this?

just a quick mockup
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/13/02 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Speed Demon:
how about a nice NACA duct over the intake area and some holes at the back of the hood to vent? similar to the predator vents that are at the front but no crazy slopes?

somethin like this?

just a quick mockup

perfect
mmmmmmm......me likely, no ricey!
Posted By: BDR Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/14/02 12:25 AM
were wasting time here, lets just get the damn thing made already!!!!
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/14/02 02:26 AM
No doubt!! I want a CF hood like no other, but COME ON! We're beating a dead horse with a stick on this GB. Just please the majority of the people. If we keep debating on the various options, I doubt we'll ever see this f&%#er made! Didn't mean to go off on a rant and rave............
defintely jag vents. Thats the exact style I was thinking of.
I'm liking Speed Demon's hood design.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/14/02 07:05 PM
I'd go for either the jag vents or Demon's version. I like them both.
Would you all be happy with something like this?

Hmmm....don't know if I like that or not.

Could you throw in another vent like Demon's?
Maybe just 2 vents?
How about on a silver?
I think we need something more aggressive looking..
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/14/02 11:58 PM
Matt (speed demon's) is perfect...functional scoop AND vents.
Just remember, having vents cut won't raise the cost of production all that much. Having that scoop put in over the intake area will. Just something to think about, but I like both Dev's design and the one with the scoop. They both look good.
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/15/02 01:42 AM
again..last GB was OEM, it's onyl fair that this one not be so the people who didn't get what they wanted can now...
yeah the body kit from Hydro needs this hood Hurry up! 6-8 weeks till I get my SVT back! I need hood!

Vents engine side and Scoop over intake are.
Posted By: BDR Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/15/02 01:55 AM
for real!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by DEVIOUSDEV:
Would you all be happy with something like this?

I think this is good, but it makes it so obvious that there is something going on. I like the stealth look...np=no profile. I would like something clean, yet functional. No huge gaping holes please, I drive my SVT in the snow.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/15/02 02:55 AM
[image]<http://www.fototime.com/BD404C94AE4A555/standard.jpg" border=0>[/image]

http://www.fototime.com/BD404C94AE4A555/standard.jpg

OK.....this was a very fast mock up...........
Posted By: BDR Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/15/02 02:57 AM
here swazo !!!
I like the vent over the intake area. The other vents are too close to the black plastic wiper shroud. Makes my eyes look at the matching shroud. But that's just me.

Whatever is done, fine. I didn't have the time or funds for the other CF GB. I just don't want a hood that's too busy.
Let's get the show on the road.
We can't get the show on the road until we have the main attraction

So does everyone agree on the design with vents in the back, and the scoop by the intake? Speak now or forever hold your peace

How about everyone votes in THIS poll

How about from here on out, if you would prefer to see something other than what has been posted, YOU post pics so we can all see what you are talking about, and we'll take it from there
i'll give that a hell yeah but then again it was my idea course i am the pimp shizzle so MAKE IT!!
i like DEVIOUSDEV's hood. or something similar. if you go with a scoop like that infront of the filter we are gonna have probs with it getting wet. my fried with a gti did it and regrets it very badly now.
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/15/02 03:07 PM
put the scoop near the filter...but kinda in front if it, so looking through the hole you can't really see the filter, then you (the buyer) can put the "flap" inthere to avoid any type of water spilling on the filter. I plan to do that, as well s build a cold air box around the filter, with a hole in the bottom so cold air flows in the scoop and out the bottom of the engine bay. Scoop problem solved. Stazi has cossie vents on his hood...right over where the belts are. No problems with water he said, just gets flung off when you start the car. i didn't realise with demon's design though, the vents are right over the coil pack.....I'd hate to have to change hoods when the weather is bad....Perhaps move them down a bit so they are clorse to the top of th eengine, no harm in the uim getting wet. Or maybe the jag vents might be a better option. I really don't car, I got what I want, and that is the scoop!!!
Posted By: hydro Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/15/02 03:22 PM
i dont like the hoods shown so far. I think we should go with simple vents on each side or the reverse cowl style. the reverse cowl style would look incredible on the Contour if done right and u can't tell me thats not clean...

Originally posted by HellaHydro:
i dont like the hoods shown so far. I think we should go with simple vents on each side or the reverse cowl style. the reverse cowl style would look incredible on the Contour if done right and u can't tell me thats not clean...

Now that would be AWESOME.
^
|
|
|

Yup...THATS tha ONE!!
i really dig that scoobie hood, as far as water problems you can either put a rubber flap in there at the end of the scoop or we could ask the hood copmany for some caps / cut outs to put in during crappy weather?
Lets go scooby style.
I'm kind of digging the scooby's hood, but how will the hood look with body colored? I'm at work and don't have Photoshop, so if someone can help, cool!
Scooby style=mustang 03 hood, which everybody's been leaning towards anways, I'm up for either the Jag style or the Scooby style shown up above. . .but, we need to try to make it so that we don't have to switch the hoods out when it's raining, snowing, etc. . .so, we need to keep the slits or scoops away from essentials, and I think it wouldn't be such a great idea getting the UIM wet, since if the block is hot, the water will drip down and crack it if the difference in temperature is too much. . . I won't need to worry about that down here in TX since rain water is 80 or so, but in MI, I remember, the rain is freezing cold, the engine block will be hot, and then BOOM, an engine block cracks, and warranty won't cover that guaranteed since our cars weren't designed to have hoods, so let's play it smart and position them right, ie let the pro's on the GB that know the potential problems of water infiltrating our engine bay position the final placement of these vents, scoops, whatever. . .
I also like the scooby style, maybe this time we can all agree on this style. Do you think it would be possible in the future to have a carbon fiber front splitter made, or fenders. It wouldnt hurt to ask if anyone is interested.
...but in MI, I remember, the rain is freezing cold, the engine block will be hot, and then BOOM, an engine block cracks, and warranty won't cover that guaranteed since our cars weren't designed to have hoods, so let's play it smart and position them right, ie let the pro's on the GB that know the potential problems of water infiltrating our engine bay position the final placement of these vents, scoops, whatever. . .

Good point!

Looks like 8 people like the Scooby-style so far.
Posted By: hydro Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/15/02 09:54 PM
we got more coming also, let the madness begin!!!
New poll then? :P This thread has so many polls...
Posted By: BDR Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/15/02 10:58 PM
no more polls or this thing will never get off the ground, this should be the one!!!!!
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/15/02 11:19 PM
Originally posted by imprtKLLR:
no more polls or this thing will never get off the ground, this should be the one!!!!!

with a scoop over the intake
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/16/02 12:03 AM
I'm down for the scooby style.......as long as we can actually get this going........
Originally posted by Swazo:
I'm down for the scooby style.......as long as we can actually get this going........

Same here.................
finally, we've decided, thanks whoever posted the scooby pic, norcal, let's get this think rolling. . .

Suneil
Im totally excited that we are getting close to gettting something going here. one question though. Does any one know if there are any adverse effects of have the air hitting the open filter that hard doe we need mesh and how do we block rain from shooting in the filter while driving. this quetion was posed a couple of years ago and was never cleared up. Any answers gurus
It shouldn't affect it at all with the scooby style hood since the major purpose of that hood is to keep engine temps down, I don't think there is a vent for the air filter area, correct me if I'm wrong here. . .
I digging the Scooby hood.
Just wondering if a hood was picked yet. I might be interested in getting one, if someone would either e-mail me Nickyd12@aol.com or post a pic of it and i will let u know if i want one. Thanks Nick
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/16/02 01:09 PM
It shouldn't affect it at all with the scooby style hood since the major purpose of that hood is to keep engine temps down, I don't think there is a vent for the air filter area, correct me if I'm wrong here. . .

Again you can just attach a piece of rubber or plastic so no air/water directly hits the filter....but come on guys WE NEED A SCOOP!!! Unless the scooby style hood will put the opening close enough to the side of the hood that the filter will get cold air, then im down cause it looks tight.
(chanting)scooby! scooby! scooby!
whats funny about these group buys is how everyone whines and complains about what they want, when they want it, and how much it costs. Then when it comes time to pony up the money all of a sudden 40% of you guys are ghosts.....just about happened with the sway bar deal, and showtimes going to have extra hoods, too......
Scooby style...

I got tha $$$ lets get it on!!
Posted By: hydro Re: Carbon Fiber OEM style hoods... interest? - 10/16/02 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Sharkey:
whats funny about these group buys is how everyone whines and complains about what they want, when they want it, and how much it costs. Then when it comes time to pony up the money all of a sudden 40% of you guys are ghosts.....just about happened with the sway bar deal, and showtimes going to have extra hoods, too......

well the way around that is to take deposits right off the bat. That right there eliminates the people who aren't serious. It's going to be a chore to get 25 people to go in on this but I think it can be done. We need to strike while the irons hot though. Right now I think we have enough interest to get this off the ground so in my opinion we should get things rolling.
tell me where to send if its scooby style or stock and near the original price.
new post since we've narrowed down a popular style
© CEG Archives