Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: starjammir Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/12/06 03:08 PM
I thought with some of the interest in the Duratec Maintence forum, I would make a GB on oil separators.

Here are some pics of the one that I made,

Everything you see is included. I would also include 5 ft of 3/8" hose for them. The fittings are steel and brass with teflon tape on them for no leaks. There is also a drain screw on the one side of you. Also I will include the SOS pads OR the lufa of your choice. If you have any questions let me know. I was thinking around 20 bucks or so + shipping for these. The price is flexable. Shoot me a PM with any questions.
Thanks,
Bill
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/12/06 03:40 PM
SWEET! cool to see that you carried out this plan... It seems like a great idea for you duratec boys out there... I would like to see how well this works out.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/12/06 06:32 PM
I was gonna make my own this summer when the intake rebuild happens (have intake gaskets already), but if I can get some sucker to do it for $20,

I'M IN!!!!!

Posted By: mySVT_dup1 Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/12/06 07:32 PM
isnt that a bit large?
Posted By: starjammir Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/12/06 08:55 PM
Its not big at all. Its not any bigger than a Sobe bottle or something. I have in installed in my car now and it seems to work pretty good. At least there are not any noises.
Posted By: ymicz Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/13/06 07:05 AM
Originally posted by starjammir:
Its not big at all. Its not any bigger than a Sobe bottle or something. I have in installed in my car now and it seems to work pretty good. At least there are not any noises.

not large?

http://spmotorsports.com/img/oil_separator_steeda.jpg

the steeda is like 1/5th that size. I would be intrested for $20, but thats way too big.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/13/06 04:55 PM
so what exactly does this do again? Is it the same as an oil acusump (or whatever its called)
Posted By: Harrry Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/13/06 09:14 PM
hey Star, it would be a good idea to post some pics of it installed on your car. Maybe that would help people have an idea of what it would look like.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/14/06 05:28 AM
are those plastic PVC tubes? I have heard bad things about putting that stuff in your engine bay.
Posted By: starjammir Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/14/06 01:53 PM
Got some installed picks right here. If you want it smaller just tell me the dimensions that you want and Ill hook you up then. I personally like mine because it stays put where it is. Here are the pics..

I just layed mine right under the intake. Also ya, it is PVC and several people on here (from what I have read) have this type of separator and have not had problems from the PVC nor have I.
Posted By: EuroTour Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/14/06 09:07 PM
Can somebody explain the SOS/Lufa thing?
Posted By: starjammir Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/14/06 09:27 PM
Ya, You use a lufa or some SOS pads to block the carbon buildup. Lufas are cheap and work pretty damn good. Thats what I am using.
Posted By: morbid Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/15/06 04:29 PM
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:
are those plastic PVC tubes? I have heard bad things about putting that stuff in your engine bay.

Seems that most of the people on this site (at least that have taken pictures) have used PVC without any issues, though it's technically *supposed* to release chlorine gas. My separator is made of ABS.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/15/06 08:20 PM
I'm REALLY interested in one of these also. I had my intakes yanked and cleaned by hand last summer and I am now looking to keep them from getting so gunked up again.

Here's a compound question about the way you have these made: Can you ONLY open/remove the plug off one end and drain it; OR can you ALSO remove/replace the scrubber stuffed in it?
Posted By: starjammir Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/16/06 02:45 AM
You can take the cap off one side AND clean/ replace the scrubber or w.e you want inside of it. In a nut shell its fully serviceable
Posted By: weargle Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/16/06 08:47 PM
Originally posted by starjammir:
Ya, You use a lufa or some SOS pads to block the carbon buildup. Lufas are cheap and work pretty damn good. Thats what I am using.

Loofah.
Posted By: starjammir Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/17/06 02:41 AM
Sorry I'm not up on the spelling for the girly things
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/17/06 07:31 PM
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
so what exactly does this do again? Is it the same as an oil acusump (or whatever its called)

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/17/06 07:54 PM

No, it's not the same at all. What these do, is catch the oil that would otherwise enter into your intake tract, causing your intake manifolds and throttle body to get gunked up with carbon.

Mark
Posted By: GI8U2racing Re: Oil Separator GB interest check - 05/21/06 01:23 AM
I'd be interested as well. You'd be suprised how much crap gets stuck in your intake where you'd like steady flowing air...
© CEG Archives