Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Pudmunkie Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 04:44 AM
Alright folks, Steeda and I have teamed up to work on this group buy; PM Motorsport and Skunkworks Autosport

We have a couple of options in terms of how you can order your pod.

1. 3 pods right under the vents. Vents will be fixed, except for left to right adjustability of the left vent. (The same as the one posted in Pics and Video) - $170 dollars with core return $195 w/out core.
�Add either a 2 5/8, or 2 1/16 in the coin slot. (four gauges total) + $30 dollars
�2 gauges on either side of the steering column + $40 dollars
�2 gauges in the vent position + $40 dollars

2. HVAC gauge pod. Will look exactly like the original, but will be where the original HVAC controls sat. This will include wiring, unions and the vacuum lines so that you can relocate your HVAC controls. $150 dollars. [I]Will need a minimum of 5 orders for this option[/I]

-Pods will come any color you want, as long as it is flat black. Or you can pay extra and we�ll paint it for you. Details can be figured out.
-You may need to dremel the inside of the PVC pipe to fit your gauge perfectly. Generally only a small amount needs to be taken off the top of the inside for a perfect pressure fit.

A $45 dollar non-refundable deposit will be required prior to starting fabrication. The rest will be collected when your pod is finished. Pod will be shipped when payment is received. Payment instructions will be PM�ed as when the time comes.

Some pictures:

Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 04:46 AM
I Approve this Post.
Posted By: 00SVTGA Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 02:37 PM
THAT $HIT IS AWESOME . TOO BAD I BROKE. LOL
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 02:52 PM
Also: As long as we have access to bezels your Gauge pod would be ready in a very timely fashion. Obviously if we can't find bezels or no one is shipping the cores back it could be delayed. Looking at a 2 week turn around depending on the bezel situation.
So how's it go?
  • You send me finished trim piece, I keep existing trim: $195 + options
  • You send me finished trim, I send you my existing trim: $170 + options
  • I send you my trim, you send me finished trim (almost the same as above, but I send trim first); $170 + options

I get the core part, but do you want us to send ours to you first, or keep ours until we get the finished piece?

I'll be in for the 4 guage pod... which will be $200/$225 with/without core...

Would you take my trim as a core? It's painted white with the change holder cut out... I could even send it to ya if noboby else wants a 4 guage setup.

Now I can get a Voltmeter, digital tach, and something else... maybe a clock
  • Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 03:54 PM
    Generally we wont need a core until you get the bezel pod. However thats contigent on us actually having some in stock! If alot of people are keeping stock bezels and the junkyards are dry we may request your stock peice first.

Since you're in germany right now I can just use the stock bezel from my car to cut down on the times we need to ship back and forth.

So do you want four across the bottom row, or do you want 3 plus the coin slot. four across the bottom row means that the left most will be partially blocked by the steering wheel but will look the slickest.

Id prefer not to have the white core but we can work something out.
    Posted By: jd2-98s Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 05:08 PM
    Master Shake voice on "Now that I've seen that on CEG that is the SHIZ NIC" master shake voice off.

That is some awesome work, very clean looking. I likey
    Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
    Since you're in germany right now I can just use the stock bezel from my car to cut down on the times we need to ship back and forth.

So do you want four across the bottom row, or do you want 3 plus the coin slot. four across the bottom row means that the left most will be partially blocked by the steering wheel but will look the slickest.

Id prefer not to have the white core but we can work something out.

I don't mind the waiting game... I can just send you mine and you mod that. When I get it back, I can paint it... Or maybe if I look enough, I can find a 98+ Contour or 96+ Mondeo in the junkyards around here...

The 4 across the bottom would be the coolest, but if you were to mod my existing one, the changeholder would be best since it's missing that.
    Posted By: muskamike Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 06:55 PM
    This is a rad GB. Way to go herrrrrrrrrrooo
    Posted By: morbid Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 07:03 PM
    Your work looks great! Unfortunetly I need movable vents. Is there enough room to do an over/under dual gauge in the coin thing (with one in the area below)?
    Posted By: muntus Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 07:08 PM
    Originally posted by morbid:
    Your work looks great! Unfortunetly I need movable vents.

x2
    Posted By: morbid Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 07:21 PM
    I just noticed the option for 2 gauges on either side of the steering column. Is dpa43 doing these or is it similar to his? Are you able to put a gauge in the coin thing without affecting the vent (unlike the last gb for it)?
    Posted By: 111R Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 07:47 PM
    Originally posted by muntus:
    Your work looks great! Unfortunetly I need movable vents.

x2

x3!!!

if the option for 2 gauge's on either side of the steering column looks alright i am in!

-a
    Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 08:13 PM
    I just noticed the option for 2 gauges on either side of the steering column. Is dpa43 doing these or is it similar to his? Are you able to put a gauge in the coin thing without affecting the vent (unlike the last gb for it)?

No DP43 is not doing these. They will be very similar to his. I can't say identical becuase i have never seen his.

I think that we could do the coin holder so it doesn't affect the vents and if it did it would only be the part that opens and closes the vents. But if using a 2 1/16th gauge, I think it could be done without affecting the operation but, I can't say 100% as the fiberglass might lift off if not on enough glass is applied to that side.

Remember for those of you who don't want the Vents messed with we also can do it where the HVAC controls are.
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 09:25 PM
    Im suprised at the number of people who move their vents around! I havent moved my vents from that position since I bought the car so for me I had no problem with it. Ill still get alot airflow from the vents, and I can direct it twoards me (who cares about passengers).

Kane PM me and we'll Iron out some details!
    Posted By: morbid Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 10:56 PM
    about the vents.. if it's just me, then the vents are on me. If my kids are in the back, then the center vents are on them. It kind of gets hot in Phoenix

Would it be possible for gauge location options instead of additions? Like.. I'm interested in 2 gauges on either side of the steering column.. and 1 in the coin tray. I have 3 2-1/16" gauges and they all need homes.

I'm actually installing them in an A-pillar pod this weekend... but I'd much rather them be in the dash.
    Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/15/06 11:56 PM
    Yes I beleive we could do that Shoot a PM for price
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/16/06 12:13 AM
    We can do it all!

If any pre-98's are interested, we'd just need a bezel from someone so we can make it all work
    Posted By: snakous Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/16/06 05:52 AM
    If any pre-98's are interested, we'd just need a bezel from someone so we can make it all work

I'll donate a pre98 bezel if I can get a little discount Mostly because I'm broke!

Either way, it looks amazing.
    Posted By: shavedsvt Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/16/06 07:56 AM
    ill send you my core if i could recieve this one first for $170. just tell me when. it looks awsome!
    Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/16/06 02:39 PM
    Originally posted by snakous:

I'll donate a pre98 bezel if I can get a little discount Mostly because I'm broke!

OK Jake, $5 dollars Off!
    Posted By: snakous Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/16/06 03:20 PM
    Originally posted by SteedaSVTââ??¢:
    Originally posted by snakous:

OK Jake, $5 dollars Off!

D'oh!!
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/16/06 09:41 PM
    Shavedsvt im sending you a PM right now
    Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 06:13 PM
    One Person is interested? is it becuase of the vents? Price? some feedback would be great!
    Posted By: RawBurt Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 06:16 PM
    I want this REALLY BAD!!! But the price is definetely getting me here!
    Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 06:20 PM
    its a killer price if you think about it, the other group buy is 130? and our turn around time on these are alot faster, and you can get the dual pods like he is offering.

The reason its 170 is thre is a ton of work to do to get it to the finished part.
    Posted By: RawBurt Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 06:25 PM
    The reason its 170 is thre is a ton of work to do to get it to the finished part.

I totally understand. Another reason is because I already have a pillar pod. And I for some reason cant justify dropping the loot on something I already have. I'm just giving my opinion here, but if that price was more attractive I'm sure alot more people would be all over it.
    Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 06:32 PM
    We figured out the time it takes to make one of these, its over 10 hours of straight labor.

Go to a Car audio place and ask them how much 10 hours of labor is... like 650 dollars.
    Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 06:52 PM
    We figured out the time it takes to make one of these, its over 10 hours of straight labor.

Go to a Car audio place and ask them how much 10 hours of labor is... like 650 dollars.

well I entered the other group buy because of the price and I didn't mind waiting, but if the turn around is going to be that much quicker I might change my mind, I see your point on the price based on labor ... just have to deside if the quicker turn around is worth the aditional cost, plus I will be getting all new guages so that adds something else for me to concider
    Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 07:06 PM

Yes, but some places would make a mold if they knew they had several buyers. Same reason you can buy a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood for $300. Sure it'd take 30 hours to make one by hand, and would run $5000, but nobody is going to buy it, even if it's "hand made."

People will decide what is more important, function or fashion. I've got an a-pillar pod also, and it was $45. I personally want people on the street to be a little curious as to what I've got done, as it's hard enough as it is to get anyone to play. Anyone going for fashion over function has to decide if it's worth the extra $125 over the price of an a-pillar pod.

Just my $.02

Mark
    Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 07:26 PM
    Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Yes, but some places would make a mold if they knew they had several buyers. Same reason you can buy a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood for $300. Sure it'd take 30 hours to make one by hand, and would run $5000, but nobody is going to buy it, even if it's "hand made."

People will decide what is more important, function or fashion. I've got an a-pillar pod also, and it was $45. I personally want people on the street to be a little curious as to what I've got done, as it's hard enough as it is to get anyone to play. Anyone going for fashion over function has to decide if it's worth the extra $125 over the price of an a-pillar pod.

Just my $.02

Mark

ya but to make a mold for something like this is def not worth it. it takes almost 3 hours just to cut and trim before glassing. Then you add in the glass. Just wondering what was the problem.
    Posted By: ElKy Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 07:30 PM
    i am sure you could make some type of mold/jig to hold the PVC at the right angle and allow you to glass them all together and give you the basic shape.
    then all you would have to do is glass that piece into the cutout bezel.
    Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 07:40 PM
    Could but its still not gonna make it cheaper becuase of the obvious limited # of people who want one, ya know
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 09:02 PM
    There isnt really a good way to make a mold of this. The unit itself is molded INTO the stock vents. Even if there was an 'easy' way to mold all of this the cost isnt worth it for the limited number of people who are going to buy it. If this was a.. WRX or something popular it would be different.

As it stands, each one is a one-off custom. Steeda and I sit down and hand cut the space into the bezels, and hand lay the pipes, and then handlay and shape the fiberglass.

Out of curiousity how much do peole think this kind of labor is worth?
    Posted By: RawBurt Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 09:07 PM
    Out of curiousity how much do peole think this kind of labor is worth?

Your prices are well justified. Im gonna geuss though that the majority of CEG'ers would rather pay 50 bucks for the pillar pod.

Dont get me wrong, its completely awesome what you guys have done. If they are still available down the road some time, i'll be interested. But as of now, I have other priorities.

Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 09:15 PM
    I dont think I'll forget how to fabricate them so they'll probably be available for awhile ;p
    Ok, being the broke college student I am, and steeda being the... steeda that he is we know money can be tight.

SO! we're going to drop the price down to $150 with a core return, or $175 without.

Hopefully this will help some people...
    Just wondering what was the problem.

www.contour.org, that's the problem....
    Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/17/06 11:30 PM
    Originally posted by RTStabler51:

whatever that means...

Anyways, I think the price is fair for the work involved. It's more like someone can buy a pillar pod for 40-50. I dont like the way those look at all, I'd be in on this if I wasn't already commited to another GB for another CEG'er.
    Originally posted by posthuman63t:
    Originally posted by RTStabler51:

whatever that means...

Anyways, I think the price is fair for the work involved. It's more like someone can buy a pillar pod for 40-50. I dont like the way those look at all, I'd be in on this if I wasn't already commited to another GB for another CEG'er.

Just what it says. The typical "I want, I want!" and then when its time to do it, "I can't because of X..."
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/18/06 05:32 AM
    Oh well, it makes me want to reconsider some of the other things I was thinking about but we'll see.

At least my man in GERMANY! is down. +1 for Big daddy Kane
    Am I seriously the only one that wants this?

What a bunch of LOSERS!

As soon as I find a box for it, it'll be out the door... hopefully Monday or Tuesday.
    Posted By: muskamike Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/18/06 04:42 PM
    I want it reallllllllllllllll bad (lol) but have other things on the list.

How long will this be available for?
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/18/06 09:44 PM
    current length is forever.
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/19/06 11:27 PM
    Bump with some in car pictures. I just bought tires so some of you CEG'ers need to buy some gauge pods!

Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/24/06 03:56 AM
    will this still be goin on in about 3 weeks? im really lookin into sendin mine in
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/24/06 04:49 AM
    Sure, just send me a PM.
    Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/26/06 05:49 AM
    jsut casuse i like a-p;illas dont meake me a ricer!!!
    Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/26/06 03:34 PM
    Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

Have another beer Goonz!

Mark
    Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/27/06 03:16 AM
    Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
    Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

Have another beer Goonz!

Mark

omg I had no idea wtf I was saying to him (pudmunkie) online last night! all I remember is somthing to do with HIDs, eyes, headache and a-pillars being ricey!
    Posted By: excel4600c Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/31/06 06:30 PM
    What if i want the gauges just on the sides of the steering wheel. Wasnt some one doing this. who was that?
    Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 03/31/06 08:59 PM
    Originally posted by excel4600c:
    What if i want the gauges just on the sides of the steering wheel. Wasnt some one doing this. who was that?

dpa### was doing them and still is. There is a wait list and it takes roughly a month to get a pair of them done. So if your in a hurry, I'd suggest going with this one.
    Posted By: excel4600c Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/01/06 02:38 AM
    So if i just want the 2 1/16 gauges on the side of the steering wheel its going to cost me $170 + $40 or just the $170?????? I am ....
    Posted By: Steeda. Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/01/06 02:56 AM
    for the gauges on each side its 150 and if you return your bezel you get 20 bucks back
    Maybe sparking up any intrest left in this!

And stop laughing at my white trim pieces!

Previous owner did it, I've just been to lazy to paint em... This gives me a good reason to!
    Posted By: muskamike Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/08/06 05:13 PM
    I still need to send payment in for mine, will be doing so later this upcoming week.

I hope someone posts pictures of theirs installed when it's finished!
    Posted By: excel4600c Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/08/06 11:55 PM
    I want one but insurance kicked in again, so ill have to wait like a month before i can get one. OHH what are the projectors going for???? Are they still like $600
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/09/06 05:19 AM
    Send me a PM we'll talk
    Posted By: JEDsContour Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/09/06 07:55 AM
    I'm interested in a four-pod setup - three 2 1/16" pods under the vents, one 2 5/8" pod in the coin slot.

I'm thinking boost in the coin slot pod and oil pressure, water temp and voltage under the vents (or some combination like that).

I don't have a core available for you to work with. How big a problem is that?

Are you even doing this anymore? It frankly seems like a whole lot of effort!

I hope you can make one of these for me. I really dislike those A pillar gauge pods. They scream out "hot-rod" while I'm trying for a dead stock "sleeper" look to the car. Hood down, no one will know - though the exhaust will give it away!
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/09/06 01:36 PM
    Jed, pm sent
    Thought I'd show the new pics:

Everyone's been asking me where my dash is! heh... they get all confuzed when I try to explain the new guage holes to em... guess they'll just have to see.
    Posted By: morbid Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/14/06 04:26 PM
    That looks very nice!
    Posted By: 111R Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/14/06 08:58 PM
    looks awesome! i cant wait for mine! what are you going to fill the change holder spot with? i already need to figure out what to fill in the third spot with.

-a
    Originally posted by 111R:
    looks awesome! i cant wait for mine! what are you going to fill the change holder spot with? i already need to figure out what to fill in the third spot with.

-a

I've already got an A/F ratio guage that was half ass installed in the change holder spot.

I'm definitely going to get a Voltmeter and a Temperature guage... the 3rd spot is (hopefully) going to be the Interceptor scan guage.

If not, then I've seen some clocks that'll fit

I was thinking of a digital tachometer, but can't find one I like. Found a couple brands with 3 digits (RPMx10), and 1 brand with 4 digits, but it only counted in hundreds of RPM (so the last 2 digits will always be zero). If I get a digital tach, I want it to at least read in tens if not fives or exact. Oh well.

Oh, and I was thinking of ricing the interior out to make it more attractive to high schoolers
    Posted By: muskamike Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/15/06 12:36 AM
    That looks great, 3 is enough gauges for myself I'd think though.
    Posted By: tjbugs1 Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/15/06 12:45 AM
    PM sent
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/15/06 04:33 AM
    Kane is the man, outstanding dude!
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/16/06 09:25 PM
    Restructured the photobucket account, here are new pictures:

These are of Version 2. I ended up getting rid of the left to right slider (pointless) and shaved down the slider wheel as well as molding the top of the vents.

I have the last gauge, but its a PITA to put in so it wont be going in the car until everything is ready to be installed 4 realz
    WOW man awesome job
    Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/17/06 02:08 AM
    Awesome.....looks stock!
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/17/06 02:20 AM
    Thanks guys
    Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 04/17/06 03:41 AM

that is some amazing work!!
    Well, this is my progress so far:

Sanded:

Primed:

Oops! Forgot to get a pic of it with primer. Anyway, I primed the sanded half to sorta match the thickness of the already primed side on Saturday. Today I lightly sanded and primed the whole thing, then painted...

Painted:

I need to go get some super fine sand paper and clear coat so I can pimp this out. Then I can move on to the other 9 trim pieces the previous owner painted white

EDIT: maybe I'll "recontent" the door handle lights while I'm at it...
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 05/01/06 12:54 AM
    I bet it was fun sanding all that white off!
    Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Bezel Pod Groupbuy / Interest check - 05/10/06 11:54 PM
    Few more recent pictures, with all gauges in.

© CEG Archives