Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BlackE1 weapon-R headers - 12/28/05 07:28 PM
Link

found this over on newcougar.org in case anyone was interested.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: weapon-R headers - 12/28/05 08:14 PM
wow! not bad at all!
all these GB are killing me!!
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: weapon-R headers - 12/28/05 08:16 PM
read up in the Duratec performance section on WR headers before you jump in on this group buy
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: weapon-R headers - 12/28/05 08:19 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
read up in the Duratec performance section on WR headers before you jump in on this group buy

I know I know..
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: weapon-R headers - 12/28/05 11:32 PM
man im confused about fitment/quality problems..I read up on the FAQ in the Duratec Performance area..still un clear on what people thought of it in the end..
Posted By: Harrry Re: weapon-R headers - 12/28/05 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
man im confused about fitment/quality problems..I read up on the FAQ in the Duratec Performance area..still un clear on what people thought of it in the end..

simple egr has issue on fitting. You need to extend the egr pipe, pm stazi he has the correction for it, compression fitting needed. He has done these on many people's cars. Also they found that the y-pipe is a better design then the msds!!

it doesn't coem iwth mils, but u cna make the todras mils if u like cheaper.

Presto. Gl hf
Posted By: Tisby Re: weapon-R headers - 12/29/05 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Arhethia:
simple egr has issue on fitting. You need to extend the egr pipe, pm stazi he has the correction for it, compression fitting needed. He has done these on many people's cars. Also they found that the y-pipe is a better design then the msds!!

What is a compression fitting? Is this it? Just want to make sure this is something I can do on my own without wanting to scream (at least not too loudly )

EDIT> What's the normal price for a set of Weapon Rs?
Posted By: 98SVT_LEO Re: weapon-R headers - 12/29/05 01:28 AM
weapon r I would spend the extra money and do it right with a nice set of MSDS!

Just IMO
Posted By: 99cougar How to make weapon-r headers fit. - 12/29/05 01:36 AM
Originally posted by 98SVT_LEO:

Just IMO

Yah...well iam glad glad that is your opinion!

All you need to make the Weapon-R headers fit like the MSDS ones is the 01-02 Cougar V6 EGR tube! That's it. No cutting no welding just buy the tube and your golden!

PS. I would know...that's what i did.
Originally posted by 99cougar:
Originally posted by 98SVT_LEO:

Just IMO

Yah...well iam glad glad that is your opinion!

All you need to make the Weapon-R headers fit like the MSDS ones is the 01-02 Cougar V6 EGR tube! That's it. No cutting no welding just buy the tube and your golden!

PS. I would know...that's what i did.

yup.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: How to make weapon-r headers fit. - 12/29/05 02:50 AM
if i could do it again,i would've kept my weapon r headers instead of selling them for the msds..
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: How to make weapon-r headers fit. - 12/29/05 03:09 AM
Originally posted by tour96se:
if i could do it again,i would've kept my weapon r headers instead of selling them for the msds..

shipping companies made lots of money on those WR headers!! From the cougar guy I got them from, to me, to you, to somebody else... Anybody have them on their car now?
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: How to make weapon-r headers fit. - 12/29/05 03:10 AM
Originally posted by tour96se:

...want to back up your comment with a reason why?
Posted By: GTO Pete Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 03:12 AM
Sorry, but Marty at MSDS has put in the time, money and effort to produce one of two kinds of headers for our platform. I would pay the extra $ and support him - not some [censored] who copied his hard work.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: How to make weapon-r headers fit. - 12/29/05 03:14 AM
...yeah sure,the build quality seemed to be very similar,as far as the welding went..but the wr's being ss are better suited for the climate i live in. thats all.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 04:55 AM
Originally posted by 2b no SVT Pete:
Sorry, but Marty at MSDS has put in the time, money and effort to produce one of two kinds of headers for our platform. I would pay the extra $ and support him - not some [censored] who copied his hard work.

Weapon R are cheap knock-off's and Id support a small buisness anyday over a large company.

Anyone who think SS headers are better than non-SS is a little cause most get JetCoated Headers (should protect it well enough)
Posted By: svt4stv Re: weapon-R headers - 12/29/05 05:06 AM
nice price. i think i paid $400 for mine. got them from custom cougars and they arrived in about two days! i hooked them to my 3L and i couldnt be happier! the egr mod wasnt too big of a deal and other than that the fitment was perfect . i posted pics of what i did in the 3L forum. i wish i would have known about the cougar tube, but maybe that wouldnt work on a 3L anyways.

sure, buy msds if youve got an extra $450 to spare im assuming msds didnt copyright their design... sucks but that's how it usually works in business...

anywho, i found a MAJOR issue with getting my WRs to fit my 99 was the 2/3 bolt flange issue. my car has a 2 bolt flange and WR is only available in 3 bolt. you have 2 options to make it work:

1) get a 3 bolt cat (buy/swap with someone)
2) have a shop weld on a new flange

with option 1 you WILL have to add the flex pipe that 3 bolt flange cars have stock. i bought one from Bill J. for about $100. i then bought a high-flow 3 bolt cat from Tru Bendz for about $120. everything bolted up just fine, i save a ton of money (over MSDS) and it kicks arse now!

ps the csvts were switched over from 2 bolt to 3 bolt at some specific date in 1999. (someone here will probably know, i forgot). to look for yourself, just lay under the car and at the FRONT of the cat there will be either a triangular flange with three bolts or an eliptical flange with just two bolts. dont look at the back end of the cat for reference cuz ALL of them are two bolt at the rear.

hth all considering these
Posted By: GTO Pete Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 05:52 AM
Since when have MSDS been $800? Great math.

Secondly, it's not about "business", it's about ethics and having some morale value in supporting someone who has supported us for years. For a dead platform with limited aftermarket parts, loyalty goes a long way. That's just MHO.

I've said my piece and I'm outa here!
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 05:54 AM
I bought from Marty
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 06:10 AM
Since when have MSDS been $800? Great math.

Secondly, it's not about "business", it's about ethics and having some morale value in supporting someone who has supported us for years. For a dead platform with limited aftermarket parts, loyalty goes a long way. That's just MHO.

I've said my piece and I'm outa here!

I agree with you, I guess its best if I save up more for MSDS
Posted By: NorthPole SVT Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 10:33 AM
I am going ahead and buying the weapon r headers...were can i get the following part so that the headers work right, any idea on the price this part?

01-02 Cougar V6 EGR

Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 12:24 PM
i'm not saying dont support marty..i bought mine from him...he just needs to listen to the comments some have given him,about his ypipe and using ss, i know when i ordered mine i told him on the phone that i originally went with the wr's,when he asked what made me do that,i was honest and told what i liked/disliked about both of them..
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 01:12 PM
I was under the impression that Weapon R had a cease and desist court order on the production of these headers. Reason being...they stole Marty's design!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 01:39 PM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:
I was under the impression that Weapon R had a cease and desist court order on the production of these headers. Reason being...they stole Marty's design!

I don't understand why there is any consideration for WR headers at all. Aren't the MSDS headers $200 for the set now. Add for coating & a $50 install kit and you're way ahead of the game on V-6 headers. All you gotta do is perform the Y-pipe mod & you've got the best setup money can buy for the least amount of money. Freakin' no-brainer if you ask me...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
I agree with you, I guess its best if I save up more for MSDS

Or just come to Spring Zing and buy some raffle tickets, because Marty has offered ANOTHER set of his headers & y-pipe to CEG as a FREE, yes FREE!!! raffle prize!! Has Weapon R offered us anything for FREE???

Mark
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Has Weapon R offered us anything for FREE???

Mark

I think they took Marty's header design for free though...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 02:50 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Mark

LOL!!!!!!!! That they did.

Mark
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 02:51 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Mark

LMAO...yah.

Hey guys don't get me wrong here. I am not defending WR on their ethics or moral values here. I am just trying to point out to people that the EGR is an easy fix with the new EGR pipe.

If i had not got my headers for $125 shipped I would have went with MSDS also.

Also if i ever need headers again for some reason i will prolly go thru MSDS because they sell them for such a low price now.

Like i said i am just trying to help people out that are in the same situation i was with the EGR thing!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 02:53 PM
The WR's fit perfect and with a simple brass compression fitting the stock EGR pipe will fit. EGR pipe mod

I have a set in my garage for a customer of mine and they are even fully polished now. Pretty good damn deal if you ask me - AND they're stainless so they won't rust out like the MSDS will (yes the MSDS's will rust out eventually even with a coating on them).
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 02:58 PM
and how much was a full set of msds with jet hot coating???
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 05:22 PM

"Support the guy who did the R & D". What BS! Who supported the guy who did the rear subframe R & D? No, they stole it and took it to ATI in Detroit and BAT! Who ran the last 2 official Aussie Bar GB's and ended up with a s**t load of bars HE had paid for?! Who did the first Koni Sport shock and spring import?! The first DMD's? Terry Haines, that's who. You guys arguments are getting really old. I'm going to buy the cheapest/best quality parts I can get my hands on no matter where the idea came from. American capitalism at it's finest. It's a dog eat dog world out there.
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 05:45 PM
Originally posted by todras:

"Support the guy who did the R & D". What BS! Who supported the guy who did the rear subframe R & D? No, they stole it and took it to ATI in Detroit and BAT! Who ran the last 2 official Aussie Bar GB's and ended up with a s**t load of bars HE had paid for?! Who did the first Koni Sport shock and spring import?! The first DMD's? Terry Haines, that's who. You guys arguments are getting really old. I'm going to buy the cheapest/best quality parts I can get my hands on no matter where the idea came from. American capitalism at it's finest. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

I applaud you
Posted By: Tourige Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 06:05 PM
not only that, but ive heard the WR have the fitment issues and they arnt made with as high quality as the MSDS, hence why i would get MSDS over them.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
not only that, but ive heard the WR have the fitment issues and they arnt made with as high quality as the MSDS, hence why i would get MSDS over them.

And who did you hear that from? Not on CEG.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Support the guy who did the R&D - 12/29/05 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

well your little birdie is lying to you then!!! i've had both,and i can say without a doubt that the weapon r headers are built just as good as the msds..period,plus for msds on the egr fitment,-for ypipe,-for no ss,+wr on ss,+on ypipe,-on not getting permision to use martys design...
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: weapon-R headers - 12/29/05 08:56 PM
If you want in on the Group Buy, follow the link to new cougar. If you want to debate between the Weapon R and the MSDS, head on over to the Duratec Performance forum. Thanks.
© CEG Archives