Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Pole120 Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/07/05 05:36 AM
I was tlaking with my fabricator the other day and got an idea.....CNC Laser-cut plates for those that wish to box in their front LCA's. I would need a 2 and 4-bolt arm to make the drawings from and tyhen it's just a matter of writing the CNC program for him, and he can cut out however many are needed. I will get final pricing when i have a conceptual drawing to have quoted....but is there any interest in these? I'ld estimate ihe price to be no greater than $50 for a pair + shipping.

Start the list if you're interested.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/07/05 07:26 AM
Didnt someone offer these a long time ago? Some now defunct company like performance fords or sho shop? Just curious.

Can anyone comment on the real world effects on these? Huge difference, or not so much? Again, just curious. . . .

Man, between this and the subframe connectors, we have some great potential ahead of us (and not that much $$$)!
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
Didnt someone offer these a long time ago? Some now defunct company like performance fords or sho shop? Just curious.

Can anyone comment on the real world effects on these? Huge difference, or not so much? Again, just curious. . . .

Man, between this and the subframe connectors, we have some great potential ahead of us (and not that much $$$)!

I think it was SHO shop, but can't remember, I do remember hearing that the metal of the LCAs is thin and very tricky to weld without warpage.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/07/05 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ohsigmachi:
I do remember hearing that the metal of the LCAs is thin and very tricky to weld without warpage.

You're thinking of the rear c-shaped LCA's which are like 14ga, I'm talking about the front LCA which are much thicker.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/07/05 06:27 PM
I have some junk arms. Early 98. Might be 4 bolt. The more expensive ones. You pay shipping.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/07/05 06:29 PM
just replaced some 4-bolt arms but I think they are long gone at this point, I will have some 2 bolt arms in the spring after they get changed out
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/07/05 06:33 PM
I'll have 2-bolt arms here as soon as pete sends me his old arms for my other little experment ...so i should be covered there.

Todd, that sounds like a plan, once i've secured enough interest to make it worth while to ahve quoted, i'll contact you.
Originally posted by pole120:
I'll have 2-bolt arms here as soon as pete sends me his old arms for my other little experment ...so i should be covered there.

Todd, that sounds like a plan, once i've secured enough interest to make it worth while to ahve quoted, i'll contact you.

I am going home tonight...will ship 2morrow
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/07/05 08:09 PM
HORRAY. Let me know how much shipping is and i'll reimberse you.
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/07/05 10:47 PM
I am in 100%
I have both the subframe connectors and the LCA from SHO SHOP (before they sucked). I had them done at the same time and both together made a huge difference. The LCA tighten the steering a lot (faster turn-in), handles much better.
The subframe connector made a bigger difference on my 89' SHO then the SVT. The SVT is a little bit stiffer then my old SHO, but the subframes are worth the money. I also did the strut tower braces front and rear so the car became a different handling machine. Just do it ! -B.
All I need now is some Koni's !
Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 01:02 AM
Do the LCA's have to be removed to weld the plates on?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Bridge:
Do the LCA's have to be removed to weld the plates on?

I would think so.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 07:08 AM
1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 07:13 AM
Originally posted by R_G:
I am in 100%

x2

Pole, we just keep trading cash with each other
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 01:50 PM
1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G (?-bolt style)
3. svt4svt (?-bolt style)
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 01:58 PM
I'd be so in, if I didnt already buy myself a xmas present. How long will these be offered?
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 04:01 PM
i dont know what bolt mine are. i have a 99 made 4/99. ill check this weekend when we're working on my car.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 04:30 PM
should be 2-bolt
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 04:37 PM
Interested
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 05:03 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'd be so in, if I didnt already buy myself a xmas present. How long will these be offered?

Not sure....they may not even be available till January.
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 06:04 PM
1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G (?-bolt style)

Like 10/98 - 2 bolt I guess.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 06:07 PM
1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G (?-bolt style)
4. Hdbngr8 (4 bolt style)

Posted By: morbid Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 07:35 PM
hey pole... can you stager this gb against the subframe one? Those of us in that gb might need a little more time to save up for this (with xmas and all....). Either way I'm in.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/08/05 07:51 PM
I doubt i'll have anything ready untill the middle of January, just gauging interest right now.
Originally posted by Hdbngr8:
1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G (?-bolt style)
5. ohsigmachi (pre-98)

Sounds like my car will be an open track day beast by the time I get all this stuff on it.

I have them in my trunk. I will try to ship those out in the next few hours.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/09/05 12:37 AM
im in too
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:

I have them in my trunk. I will try to ship those out in the next few hours.

So I got to the post office and forgot about your address. PM me that so I can ship them tomorrow.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/09/05 01:28 AM
sent Pete.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/09/05 08:48 PM
Question - I don't remember how far the sides of the LCA fold over, but will there be an interference problem with the ball joint if it has been replaced by the bolt-in version? Will there be a cut out in this region to allow access to the bolts?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/09/05 08:57 PM
I'll try to get the 4 bolts off my parts car this weekend. Brrrr.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/09/05 09:00 PM
Originally posted by todras:
I'll try to get the 4 bolts off my parts car this weekend. Brrrr.

sounds like a plan...

I don't see any issues with clearance, i can verify when i have a set in hand.

Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/10/05 06:50 PM
Interested
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/12/05 02:09 PM
What's the story on this? Is this GB going to proceed?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/12/05 02:22 PM
What's the story on this? Is this GB going to proceed?

Once i get a set of the two styles of LCA's i will be drawing up the plates and having them quoted by my fabricat for CNC plasma cutting. I'm expecting this to open up officially mid January, With all the other GB's going on right now, i've been asked to hold off for a short while so more people can gather the necessary funds to get in on it.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/12/05 02:25 PM
Thanks for the update.
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/12/05 06:52 PM
Thanks for the update.

Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/12/05 07:18 PM
NP guys. If someone wants to take the time to do an updated list for my fabricator it would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/12/05 07:31 PM
1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G (post-98)
5. ohsigmachi (pre-98)
6. Morbid
7. tour96se
8. Bridge
1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G (post-98)
5. ohsigmachi (pre-98)
6. Morbid
7. tour96se
8. Bridge
9. SvtTour98.5-3 (2-Bolt)

Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/14/05 02:32 AM
Got the 2-bolt set in the mail today, so i'll get started on laying out the plate tomorrow.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/16/05 08:56 PM
OK, 2-bolt is almost done. Just waiting o nthe 4-bolt set and i'll send both patterns out for quote at the same time.
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/16/05 09:05 PM
Nice
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/16/05 09:06 PM
What thickness and type of steel will the plate be made from?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/19/05 02:45 PM
7 gauge A36 Hot rolled.

The 2-bolt plate SHOULD get finished up tonight, and as soon as the front arms get here, those will be taken care of and off to quote. Those who don't know if they have 2 or 4-bolt LCA's need to finds out and update the list before i quote these, as i'm most likely only going to do this once a year maybe so i'm going to have exactly what i needed made and no more.

Josh
Posted By: morbid Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/20/05 04:20 AM
Quote:

1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G (post-98)
5. ohsigmachi (pre-98)
6. Morbid (2 bolt)
7. tour96se
8. Bridge

1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G (post-98)
5. ohsigmachi (pre-98)
6. Morbid (2 bolt)
7. tour96se
8. Bridge
10. Dan Canuck Aug 99 SVT (2 bolt?)
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/21/05 03:30 AM
stewpid ? but do you determine "how many bolts" by the number of bolts that connect it to the subframe?

i think mine is 2 bolt.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/21/05 04:08 AM
Originally posted by svt4stv:
do you determine "how many bolts" by the number of bolts that connect it to the subframe? yes
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 12/21/05 10:25 PM
Ok...i lookes thru a few pages of the suspension section...but didn't see anything about boxing in the LCA's. What would this help??? Wheel-hop?
Is this going anywhere? Any progress to report. I know everyone is still getting back in the groove from christmas holidays.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/05/06 04:39 AM
Just waiting on a 4-bolt arm from Todras.
Posted By: muntus Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/05/06 03:09 PM
I'd be interested to see some pictures.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/05/06 03:11 PM
Just waiting on a 4-bolt arm from Todras.

Got em off last night finally. Trying to find a good box for the shipping. Pulling parts in the 40f rain suxorz.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/05/06 04:02 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Got em off last night finally.

Great news Todd. I only need one since the plates are just mirror images for the other side, plus it should save on shipping.

Josh
Any word?

anxiously awaiting the 4 bolts...I have some brand new arms to weld them into.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/15/06 06:45 AM
4-bolt arm should be here any day. About a week after i get it i should have both plates drawn up and be able to get them out for quote.

Pole
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/16/06 02:10 AM
Good
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/18/06 07:10 PM
I will have the 4-bolt LCA's in hand tomorrow.

I should have the drawings ready for quote end of next week at the latest. I'll let you know when i have more info.

Those that have not verified what style lca they have need to do so ASAP for quoting reasons. Those who are not on the list but are interested please get on it as price may be reduced with more purchases.

When i have the quoted price i will start a new thread. If you tell me you have 2-bolt and actually have 4-bolt or vise versa i will not be able to simply exchange them. I will not be responsible for you ordering the wrong part. These are going to be a one-time order(with the possibilty of another buy later in time), so what you order is what you are stuck with. If it is an error on my part, i will get you the parts one way or another.

My intention is to have one of each plate burned out to verify propper fitment on both styles before the bulk order is put through.

Current list: those in red need to confirm there arm style

1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G (post-98)
5. ohsigmachi (pre-98)
6. Morbid (2 bolt)
7. tour96se
8. Bridge

Posted By: svt4stv Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/18/06 10:03 PM
working on it. sorry for the lag.
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/18/06 11:50 PM
1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G - 2 bolt style
5. ohsigmachi (pre-98)
6. Morbid (2 bolt)
7. tour96se
8. Bridge
1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G - 2 bolt style
5. ohsigmachi (4 bolt style)
6. Morbid (2 bolt)
7. tour96se
8. Bridge

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/19/06 02:09 PM
If you have a 95-98 you most likely have 4 bolt. 98.5+ you should have a 2 bolt. Sometime in the first 6 months of post 98 prod they switched to 2 bolt. tour96 has 4 bolt.
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/19/06 10:33 PM
All it takes is just to look at one's LCA and count the bolts; you can see 'em rather easily...
Posted By: Pyro81 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/23/06 03:01 AM
If you want, i can cross post this gb on the cougar forums since the LCA on them is the same. Could generate more interest for you. Let me know.

In the mean time, count me in for a set. I'll have to take a quick look in the next few days to find out which kind i have.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/23/06 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Pyro81:
If you want, i can cross post this gb on the cougar forums since the LCA on them is the same. Could generate more interest for you. Let me know.

In the mean time, count me in for a set. I'll have to take a quick look in the next few days to find out which kind i have.

Thats fine, actually, appreciated.

Just add yourself to the list of "interested" when you know what style you need.
Have both patterns nearly complete.

The 4-bolt patter is very simple and took aobut 20 minutes to draw up, the 2-bolt on the otehr hand is going to need some time. On the 2-bolt arms there is a stamped centersection that gets beeper the closer to the ball joint you get, and 3/4 of the way down the arms it actually extends below the bottom of the arm, because of this i have to make the plate to go around this section so it will stretch the full length of the arm.

It's relly nota big deal, just a PITA for me and the CNC programer.

I'll post pics of the plate drawings as soon as they're finalized.

Josh
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's Update - 01/24/06 01:46 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: ctmystique Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/25/06 12:29 AM
1. Swazo (4-bolt Style)
2. R_G - 2 bolt style
5. ohsigmachi (4 bolt style)
6. Morbid (2 bolt)
7. tour96se
8. Bridge
11. ctmystique 97.5 (4 Bolt)

Have you figured out how much yet?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/25/06 01:18 AM
My personal estimate on cost right now is $50\set. I expect to have a final quote early next week.
Posted By: bensenvill Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/25/06 02:55 AM
you can add me to the list [but I need to check my bolt configuration]
Well, both drawings are done, i'm making prototype sets this weekend to be 100% sure the drawings are accurate, will correct any errors i find, and then off to quote, the process is taking longer than expected, and for that i apologise. Keep an eye out for the actual GB thread to open up early Feb.

Josh
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's Update - 01/27/06 07:14 PM
Thanks Josh.
You can add another 2 bolt to the interested list.
Good timing for this. I checked out my bushings, and they don't look like they are in very good shape. It would be really cool if we could optionally buy LCA's with the plate welded as part of this GB
Originally posted by morbid:
Good timing for this. I checked out my bushings, and they don't look like they are in very good shape. It would be really cool if we could optionally buy LCA's with the plate welded as part of this GB

Can't do it sorry. But at least you can have the plates welded on the new arms beofre install.
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's Update - 01/30/06 05:15 PM
Can't do it sorry.

What if I'll ship my LCAs to you - would it be possible to weld 'em then?
Posted By: bensenvill Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's - 01/30/06 05:29 PM
Originally posted by bensenvill:
you can add me to the list [but I need to check my bolt configuration]

nevermind, I'm doing something else.
if anyone needs to, you can ship your lcas and have pole ship the plates to me. i can have them welded for you quick and cheap. although, you can probably find someone local to do it for you. just an offer to help out if needed
Posted By: R_G Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's Update - 01/30/06 06:18 PM
Good
Posted By: Tisby Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's Update - 01/31/06 03:40 AM
What exactly is the benefit of these?
Thanks for the offer.... I still need to check around for someone to weld on my subframe connectors. I'll ask if they can also do something like this. It's reassuring to have your offer as an option.
Quote sould be in next week and i can get this going.
I check this thread three times a day just waiting for the price quote...I neeeeed these quick...
Anything? progress?
Anything? progress?

I'm doing the prototype sets to verify the drawing THIS weekend. I've been so swamped with my SVT's build i really haven't had time, once again i apologize.

Don't worry, AS SOON as i have an update, i'll pass it along.
Originally posted by sonza68:
You can add another 2 bolt to the interested list.

Hi everybody. Josh (pole120) wanted me to post an update for him after some events this weekend. He was involved in an accident and his SE is totalled. Everybody was ok, but he's gonna need some time to sort things out, so this GB will be on hold for the moment. He still intends to do these, he just needs to get things straightened back out first.
Thanks,
Kyle
99contourdriver
Oh man that sucks. Glad to hear he is ok.

I dont know about everyone else, but I dont need them anytime soon. Better to let him take care of things first.
I don't mean to add insult to (car) injury, but I have to withdraw from the GB. I had to get new A arms on my car ASAP since my front bushings are shot. I got mine boxed in, but mine are probably not nearly as nice as these plates would be and probably waaaaay more expensive than Pole's plates.
Don't worry about it man, i didn't expect everyone to waite forever.

I'll be resuming work this weekend(finally) now that everything is handled with the otehr car. Look for an update SOON!

Josh
Posted By: Swazo Re: Interest check: plates to box LCA's update - 02/24/06 03:44 PM
Don't worry about it man, i didn't expect everyone to waite forever.

I'll be resuming work this weekend(finally) now that everything is handled with the otehr car. Look for an update SOON!

Josh

Good to hear, I'll be waiting to buy when you do have them ready. I'm glad to see you're back into the swing of things after your loss! It'd have to be tough
Posted By: Pole120 Delayed again - 03/05/06 10:40 PM
Found out i have only 2 weeks to get my SVT done so i now must unfortuantly devote all my time to it. I will start a new thread once i'm ready to do this. It will be done, I just can't tell you exactly when. I'm sorry for all the ups and down's guys, i'm trying my best.

Josh
© CEG Archives