Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: svt4stv subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 05:00 PM
last year i picked up a set of Shmo Shop subframe connectors. of course, it was a PITA to actually get them, but i did. they were $150 + shipping + PITA. we dont know how much ours would cost yet but it wont be more than these were. we'll need to find out how much the steel will cost, and how much our welder will charge. of course, the more that we make, the less the cost will be. since you can't even get these anywhere anymore, besides making your own, i figured id at least offer to these to you guys, if there is enough interest.

these subframe connectors will stiffen up your chassis during cornering. not only that but they will help eliminate squeaks in your car. AND yet another huge benefit is that you can simply slap a jack under any part of the connector and jack your car up! let me put it this way, when i jack up the car behind the front wheel, the rear wheel jacks up with it.

these are tried and true yet apparantly only a few people have them. i paid only $60 to have them installed (welded) which any decent exhaust shop with a drive-on lift should be able to handle it.

remember, this is only an interest check at this point. production would likely start after the new year. and please, lets not turn this into a Shmo Shop debate

here are mine. i painted them blue. and NO commenting on my poopy welds

Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 05:02 PM
I'm interested.

All you do is just bead it to the unibody "frame"?

Is there a noticalble difference in handling or any problems or issues?

Will these have closed ends so nothing can build up and rust from the inside out?

sorry for the rapid fires questions but sometimes ya gotta know.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 5V7 Dr1v3r627:

yep

There is a very noticeable difference in the handling and there NO side issues whatsoever

Will these have closed ends so nothing can build up and rust from the inside out?

My 3L installer asked me this last night when we were discussing doing a possible GB (for SHOs too). Mine dont have any caps, as you can see, and it hasnt been an issue. We could add them but it would just add to the cost. If people with smare think we should, then i guess we will

no problem, that's what this thread is for

anyone who currently has these on their car (Jato) please comment
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 05:25 PM
I am in if they are not too expensive.
Posted By: tsSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 05:28 PM
I'm in if not too expensive.
Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 06:01 PM
Me, too.
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 06:12 PM
Are they gonna be powdercoated?
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 07:39 PM
Originally posted by 96BlackSE:
Are they gonna be powdercoated?

no. they come in raw steel. but if you need powdercoating you can always send them to powdercoatman. he'll give you a "steal" of a deal.

if they come in raw steel you have the option to paint them or chrome them or have them custom airbrushed or whatever.
I'm interested.

I have a set on mine and the difference is absolutely amazing. Between the SVT's I've had, the one with the connectors rides on rails. And my suspension is now 6 years old with 37,000 miles on it.
Posted By: tsSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 08:35 PM
What are the dimensions of the steel tubing?what kind or quality steel is it?
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 11:13 PM
Originally posted by tsSVT:

we will attempt to aquire ASTM A500 grade B cold-formed structural tubing, 1x2x1/8.
Posted By: Aspire Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/26/05 11:41 PM
Im in if the price is similiar to the $150 you mentioned
Posted By: R_G Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 12:21 AM
In
Posted By: muntus Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 12:38 AM
If they got the caps on em, I'm in.
I'm interested, but need to know what the price will be.

Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 05:18 AM
I would probably be down for a GB like this, especially if its around $150. Thats very affordable for something that makes that big of a difference.

I have 2 questions:
1. What would shipping be like for these?
2. What were the issues surrounding dropping the subframe with these installed? I thought there were some, but after seeing pics it looks like they dont even mount directly to the subframe. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Heck, I would install these just to be able to slap a jack under the middle of the car and jack the whole thing up at once. Makes life easy!

BTW, the underside of your car is fuggin clean!
Posted By: RawBurt Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 05:25 AM
So interested!
Posted By: Pole120 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 05:58 AM
Originally posted by RawBurt:
So interested!

~pole
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 06:14 AM

So interested!

Posted By: Rishodi Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 08:35 AM
Well crap, yet another group buy I'd be in on if only I had the money...
Posted By: m!key Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 03:01 PM
very interested
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 05:13 PM
i'm down too...btw my car already jacks up as mentioned ....+++++++++++++1 on your undercarraige...thats unreal...and i'm jealous
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 05:18 PM
You have my attention. But it all depends on the cost of the part plus shipping.
Posted By: Tony D Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 07:56 PM
DO IT....JUST DO IT!

I'm in
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 08:11 PM
How bad is the shipping cost going to be?
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 98_HO_Contour:
You have my attention. But it all depends on the cost of the part plus shipping.

I'd be extremely interested but I'll be leaning toward capped ends. Rust is not my friend and in Ohio and Michigan, lots of salt gets used this time of year. I wouldn't want it just sitting inside the channels. Powercoating is very desirable but what's the shipping cost gonna be? Could they be shipped directly to Rick (Buckshot) or powdercoatman? Since I've dealt with Rich, I'd frankly prefer him but the question remains about the shipping? And of course, what would be the powdercoating cost?

svt4stv, why don't you contact these two guys and get a cost quote? Since you already have them, you could give them the measurements so they could come up with something. You should also (maybe) be able to come up with the weight.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 10:57 PM
putting end caps is no problem and i think we'll do that as standard. as for powdercoating; i have a decent hook-up on powdercoating but its waaay on the other side of town and is more trouble for me then its worth. ill ship it to where ever you want. you'd be a fool to ship it to powdercoatman...

one reason why powdercoating isnt so great of an idea is because you have to leave spots that are bare metal for them to be welded to the car. this is why i would just leave it up to you to decide how to coat it. everyone should have a powdercoater somewhere in town or nearby. or you can have them sent to someone.

tonight ill try to get some ideas on the shipping cost but i cant imagine it costing more than $25-$30 for shipping via fedex ground.

we're definitely going to try and keep the price low. i would like it to be so more people can afford it instead of having to sit out for another GB.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 11:04 PM
at that length,i'm leaning more towards 80-100 price range!!! did you ever ship a mirko splitter before? try greyhound..much cheaper
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/27/05 11:41 PM
Originally posted by 98_HO_Contour:

Originally posted by svt4stv:
putting end caps is no problem and i think we'll do that as standard.

Good I'm in Minnesota and will definately need this.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 12:03 AM

we will attempt to aquire ASTM A500 grade B cold-formed structural tubing, 1x2x1/8.

Since I'm not an engineer, how prone is this grade of steel to rusting? And since you say you'd have to leave spots exposed for welding, how did you do yours since it appears to be completely painted? It looks like the welding just burnt the paint off.....if that's right, why not repaint over the welds on the car?
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 12:20 AM
im intrigued.

Need to know what kinda prices we are looking at.

And we need more testimonials! (kinda hard lol)
Interested!
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 12:58 AM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:

Since I'm not an engineer, how prone is this grade of steel to rusting? And since you say you'd have to leave spots exposed for welding, how did you do yours since it appears to be completely painted? It looks like the welding just burnt the paint off.....if that's right, why not repaint over the welds on the car?

youre right. if you look at the top pic youll see i left two spots for welding and then the shop just welded wherever i guess it was ok since the tips were completely raw but i do normally that you should not have paint (or anything else) where you plan to weld. and i did re-paint over the welds afterwards.

im no engineer either, but the guy who will be doing these is. he opened his book of steels (lol) and chose the metal right out of there. as far as its durability is to rusting, ill ask him for you snow-belters
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 01:17 AM
i planned on painteing the bottom 2/3 leaving the top bare, weld then paint again on the car to cover the welds
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 03:14 AM
i planned on painteing the bottom 2/3 leaving the top bare, weld then paint again on the car to cover the welds

well, that would kinda work except that you would have lots of bare metal still exposed on the top surface. unfortunately, as you can see in the pics, it doesnt seal up against the body. you can try to guess where the shop will weld at or if you know the guy you can discuss it with him and tell him to tell you where and how much to leave open.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 03:16 AM
then i'd probably mask of the edges with about a 1/4" line for a weld bead and paint the rest.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 03:33 AM

but if you need powdercoating you can always send them to powdercoatman. he'll give you a "steal" of a deal.

Nice.
Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 05:29 AM
Interested
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 06:51 AM
BTW, even if endcaps werent offered, it would be so cheap and easy to have whoever installs the connectors to weld on caps for you. I wouldnt worry about that
Posted By: Nkosi Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 07:55 AM
I'm definately in, lemme know when it goes down =)
Posted By: morbid Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 08:18 AM
So interested!

Posted By: Stazi Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 01:49 PM
I'm in!
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 01:52 PM
Count me in.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 01:59 PM
If there is alot of worries about rusting, why don't you just spray undercoating on the subframe supports once they are installed? including over the welds.

If they aren't capped you might a problem though.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 02:08 PM
I put together a quick list.

1. 5V7 Dr1v3r627 ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
2. RandyCSVT- interested
3. tsSVT ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
4. 99 red SVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
7. muntus ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
8. NothernMystique ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
9. Rawburt ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
10. pole12 ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
11. Goonz svt ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
12. ohsigmachi ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
13. Mikey Boy ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
14. tour96se ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
15. 98_HO_Contour ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
17. wa2tuff ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
18. Pudmunkie ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
19. MapOfTaziFoSho ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
20. Bridge ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
22. Morbid ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 02:24 PM
Put me down depending on shipping to Canada
Posted By: ElKy Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 02:25 PM

2. RandyCSVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
25. ElKy - Interested

Posted By: SVTFern_dup1 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 02:25 PM
Count me in. I track the car often enough for this to make a difference.

Fern
Posted By: Dr. Cross Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 03:35 PM
Interested!
Posted By: abwamo_dup1 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 04:11 PM

Posted By: hsoverma Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 04:35 PM
I have a second-hand story on how these subframe connectors help the handling.

One of my good friends is a suspension and handling expert and just retired from working on and racing formula fords and mustangs. I asked his advice on how to improve my suspension with a limited budget (with buying koni's on the top of my mind). He explaind to me (to my surprise) the first thing to get is the front strut bar followed by subframe connectors, then to finally buy the Konis. I asked him why the subframe connectors?

He said they are not as important on all-wheel drive and two door cars, but on four door, two-wheel drive cars they make a huge difference when executing high speen turns. Basically the pillars between the front and back door acts as a sort of rotation point. When turning say, left, the portion of the car in front of the pillars will flex left, whereas the section of the car behind the pillars will flex right, away from the turn. Finally, adding these subframe connectors, along with the front trut bar, will lower the car's CG (center of gravity) which is what is truly important in suspension design.

So, to sum up, the whole car twists along the axis in the the car from front to rear, perpendicular to the plane which intersects the pillars between the front and rear doors.

I hope this makes sense. I'm sure someone will disagree, but I buy the explanation, and its much cheaper than Koni's all the way around.

The subframe connectors get rid of this phenomenom by tying the front of the car to the rear of the car and significantly decreasing the flex (assuming the subframe connectors are welded correctly and do not flex) As you can imagine, there is a lot of force that these must resist during cornering, so they must be extremely strong and welded extremely well, or they can fail.

I do Solo race my Contour, and these are a must for racing. If you dont race, then this is purely a for fun buy in my opinion.

Anyways, I AM IN FOR SURE AT 150.00!!!!
Posted By: Tourige Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 04:51 PM
Originally posted by abwamo:

interested
Posted By: Harrry Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 05:30 PM
interested
Posted By: DyComet Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 06:04 PM
interested
Posted By: Knip Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 07:37 PM
Interested.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 09:23 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:

I have 2 questions:
1. What would shipping be like for these?
2. What were the issues surrounding dropping the subframe with these installed? I thought there were some, but after seeing pics it looks like they dont even mount directly to the subframe. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Any word on either of these?

Im also very interested, as long as the price stays as reasonable as you think and shipping isnt an arm and a leg.
Posted By: Stazi Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 09:38 PM
Doesn't even touch either subframe.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 09:52 PM
i dont know why their called "subframe" connectors since they dont touch either one

the only issue installing them is that all four wheels must be on the ground when these are welded on. (drive on lift or similar). something about pre-loading the suspension..
Posted By: Nick98CSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 10:07 PM
I'm interested.
Something to be considered in all of this. I actually cut out the set of unibody rails from my wrecked silver car in anticipation of making subframe connectors in conjunction with Brad Noon. We ultimately decided not to make any for one simple reason- LIABILITY.

Granted it's a long shot that you could ultimately point the finger to whoever made these being responsible for some type of wreck or accident, but if even one case put you down as a defendant, you'd be up a creek just in legal fees. It's one thing for a place like Sho-shop etc that should carry 1-2 million dollar liability insurance to produce these, but for an individual the risks may outweigh the potential profit and service to our group. Just some food for thought Steve.

In regards to other things, these would be a great candidate for truck freight shipping if they're bare steel (think Fedex freight, CCC, etc) for powdercoating, you'd need to find someone who has a walk in style oven and then your best bet would be to get them done in a production run of black coating along with one of their regular runs. For welding, just grind off wherever you want to weld and reshoot with rustoleum gloss black when done.

Rick
Posted By: Pole120 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 10:28 PM
Rick-

Could the legal issues be resolved by simply stamping "for off-road use only" on them? Or perhaps a sort of contract signed by each buyer waiving the fabricator and designers involved of any liability.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 10:29 PM
Originally posted by pole120:
Rick-

Could the legal issues be resolved by simply stamping "for off-road use only" on them? Or perhaps a sort of contract signed by each buyer waiving the fabricator and designers involved of any liability.

that's not so simple considering each state treats liabilities differently. from what ive been told, the major liability would be on the installer, which is why many shops wont touch them.
Posted By: 111R Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 10:52 PM
Well, if we need to get a "speed shop" of sorts that is used to making things such as this, what about ATI? They have helped us before, and make tons of parts already. Just a thought.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Doesn't even touch either subframe.

I know. I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that it caused problems. Guess not.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 11:21 PM
If using a 3" exhaust you will need to plasma torch out most of the driver rear mount. Can be done but with modifications. Just FYI
In my opinion, if you can get a group buy put together with actual committed and PAYING participants, you can shop for a fabricator to build them.

ATI would be an excellent choice and probably have a fair price as well. I'd also think it might be possible to approach TCE brakes or possibly MSDS with an order as both of them are able to custom fabricate parts and all ready are a part of our community. With one of these companies doing the fab, I'd suggest they price it out based on a minimum number of orders and then require half down deposit on the order to start production. This way we know we're dealing with a reputable supplier and they have a guaranteed number of buyers.

The main issue would be getting a trial pair fabbed and fitted. As long as Steve or someone else can produce a CAD drawing for them to fab off of, I don't see why it would be a major issue to get them fabbed.

Rick
Posted By: Pole120 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 11:48 PM
I can do the CAD drawing in no time.....it's my job.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/28/05 11:52 PM
Put me down for a maybe.

By the way, ATI no longer does performance work.
Posted By: R_G Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/29/05 01:40 AM
Originally posted by livinsvt:
By the way, ATI no longer does performance work.

...and the Aussie Bar GB didn't exactly turn out to be a positive experience. Max Church is a nice guy but after many months and several updates the GB ended up with nothing.
Posted By: R_G Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/29/05 01:41 AM
Could they be shipped directly to <...> powdercoatman?

Tom: plz tell me u r kidding
Posted By: dpa43_dup1 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/29/05 01:54 AM

2. RandyCSVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
25. ElKy - Interested
26. 96BlackSE - Interested - depends on Canadian Shipping
27. SVTFern - in
28. phd2be - interested
29. abwamo - interested - depends on Canadian Shipping
30. hsoverma - in
31. Tourige - interested - depends on Canadian Shipping
31. Arhethia - interested
32. DyComet - interested
33. Knip - interested
34. KingpinSVT - interested
35. Nick98CSVT - interested
36. livinsvt - interested
37. dpa43 - in

List updated

Posted By: TourDeForce Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/29/05 04:17 AM
Rick-

that's not so simple considering each state treats liabilities differently. from what ive been told, the major liability would be on the installer, which is why many shops wont touch them.

Hooray for me & my welder!!!!

Posted By: TourDeForce Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/29/05 04:20 AM
Originally posted by R_G:
Could they be shipped directly to <...> powdercoatman?

Tom: plz tell me u r kidding

Posted By: Rance Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/29/05 06:34 AM
put me down as interested.
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/29/05 12:56 PM
Originally posted by dpa43:

2. RandyCSVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
25. ElKy - Interested
27. SVTFern - in
28. phd2be - interested
30. hsoverma - in
32. DyComet - interested
33. Knip - interested
37. dpa43 - in
38. Rance - interested
39. LUCA - interested

Posted By: SvtTour98.5-3 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/29/05 04:15 PM
No you guys do realize that with weather changes and what-not there can be some condensation buildup on the insides of these if the ends are capped and sealed. That's why they don't seal the unibody completely. They rust faster (from the insided out) if you do.

But I'm interested as well. I can always drill a couple drain holes if I want.
Posted By: bensenvill Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/29/05 06:47 PM
Im positively in
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/29/05 07:02 PM
On a side note I've been following this thread. Here are plausible solutions to the problems:

1) rusting in general:
-Painting the rails after installation with rust resistant paint
-Undercoat the body around the rails and the rails themselves after installation
-Do both

2) Caps or no Caps
-If capped, small holes should be drilled at mentioned above because they most likely will not be "air" tight.
-If uber worried about rusing with caps drill holes and install small upward facing pipe to avoid water intoduction while allowing the hole for moistrue evapuration.
-If uncapped, probably should drill holes alot bottom for drainage as water/dirt/road salt will get into the rails
- Also regular maintance and ensuring dirt/road salt is not sitting inside the rails will prevent the worse corrsion.

thats my 0.02.
Posted By: R_G Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/30/05 01:00 AM
Chris: if and when we get them - I am using the same welder, I mean the one u r gonna use
Chris: if and when we get them - I am using the same welder, I mean the one u r gonna use

x2

I am interested, but it really depends on my money situation when the time comes!
Hey guys, there is a possibility I'll run into Todd from TCE at the PRI show in Orlando this weekend. If I do, I'll ask him if he's got any interest in fabbing these up.

Rick
Posted By: muntus Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/30/05 03:46 AM
What about capping them and filling them full of grease?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/30/05 04:08 AM
i say cap them with a drain hole at either end and call it a day.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/30/05 05:55 AM
i say cap them with a drain hole at either end and call it a day.

I say don't cap them 'cause they might make cool howling noises at highway speeds....
Posted By: 111R Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/30/05 07:20 AM
put my name on the list, i am interested

-Ary
Posted By: svt490 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/30/05 08:05 AM
interested
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/30/05 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Slack Master Doug:

x2

OK. I don't have one yet but when I do I'll let you know.
Posted By: 98SVTC Re: subframe connectors interest check - 11/30/05 07:15 PM
I'm interested.
Karl
Posted By: R_G Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 01:32 AM
. 5V7 Dr1v3r627 ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
2. RandyCSVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
25. ElKy - Interested
27. SVTFern - in
28. phd2be - interested
30. hsoverma - in
32. DyComet - interested
33. Knip - interested
37. dpa43 - in
38. Rance - interested
39. LUCA - interested
40. SvtTour98.5-3 - interested
41. bensenvill - in
42. Slack Master Doug - interested

Posted By: 96 M edition Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 01:35 AM
. 5V7 Dr1v3r627 ΓΆβ?¬β?? interested
2. RandyCSVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
14. tour96se ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
25. ElKy - Interested
27. SVTFern - in
28. phd2be - interested
30. hsoverma - in
32. DyComet - interested
33. Knip - interested
37. dpa43 - in
38. Rance - interested
39. LUCA - interested
41. bensenvill - in

changed..i'm in
Posted By: R_G Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 01:37 AM
2. RandyCSVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
25. ElKy - Interested
27. SVTFern - in
28. phd2be - interested
30. hsoverma - in
32. DyComet - interested
33. Knip - interested
37. dpa43 - in
38. Rance - interested
39. LUCA - interested
41. bensenvill - in
43. 111R - interested
44. svt490 - interested
45. 88SVT - interested
interested
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 02:46 AM
ok nuckas, we've been discussing this GB over here. we're looking at doing these over the Christmas break, or in the weeks immediately following if need be.

we plan to sit down this weekend and work out all the details. the shipping shouldnt be much via Fed Ex Ground. Theyre not tooo big and they dont weight too much. I will have the final details on Monday and start a new thread for sign-ups.

I plan to do it just as ATI did it. A deposit up front with the final payment when the product is ready to ship. I know everyone needs their $ for Christmas so that's why im doing it this way.

we've discussed the concern for corrosion and that some people would like end caps and some would not. we plan to include end caps with the connectors and if you want to use them you can just have your installer weld them on during installation.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 03:40 AM
Originally posted by muntus:

WEIGHT! if anything maybe buy some undercoating and shoot it through but no fill it with grease.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 05:08 AM
Whatever you choose, its going to be hard as hell to get it all the way down the inside. I would weld caps on, drill drainage holes and call it a say.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 05:59 AM
Originally posted by muntus:

WEIGHT! if anything maybe buy some undercoating and shoot it through but no fill it with grease.

besides that cost! even if you bought an industrial size tub at Costco/Sam's Club you'd probably spend a fortune. you'd need a way to pump it all the way through the tubes and you'd need enough to get it packed in there.

wouldnt it take some time (years) for them to to corrode? as in past the life of the car..
Posted By: muntus Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 07:38 AM
What about chroming them or some other coating that gets on the inside?
Posted By: Stazi Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 02:47 PM
You can buy plastic snap-in caps for standard sized box tubing - kinda like what you see use on gym benches and weight lifting equipment. That's what I'd use - siliconed in place.
2. RandyCSVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
25. ElKy - Interested
27. SVTFern - in
28. phd2be - interested
30. hsoverma - in
32. DyComet - interested
33. Knip - interested
37. dpa43 - in
38. Rance - interested
39. LUCA - interested
41. bensenvill - in
43. 111R - interested
44. svt490 - interested
45. 88SVT - interested
46. bigMoneyRacing - interested

You managed to get everyone around my post yet left me out!
Posted By: morbid Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 02:57 PM
Hey.... Wouldn't these also be compatible with Cougars? If we need more people... should someone with a NECO account post there?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
You can buy plastic snap-in caps for standard sized box tubing - kinda like what you see use on gym benches and weight lifting equipment. That's what I'd use - siliconed in place.

Briliant!
Posted By: MLuko Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 06:21 PM
i'm interested
Posted By: bensenvill Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 06:23 PM
Originally posted by morbid:
Hey.... Wouldn't these also be compatible with Cougars? If we need more people... should someone with a NECO account post there?

I hope so, otherwise I'm out. If someone can confirm this, I will definitely post this over in NECO [I'm sure there are a few people that would certianly be interested]
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 06:43 PM
interested also
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 07:05 PM
Originally posted by bensenvill:
Originally posted by morbid:

I hope so, otherwise I'm out. If someone can confirm this, I will definitely post this over in NECO [I'm sure there are a few people that would certianly be interested]

i can neither confirm nor deny the fitment of these

if you know any NECO guys from the LA area they can come by when we start cranking them out for a test fitment. better though if someone with knowledge can confirm fitment now..
Posted By: Pole120 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 07:18 PM
2. RandyCSVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
10. pole12 ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
25. ElKy - Interested
27. SVTFern - in
28. phd2be - interested
30. hsoverma - in
32. DyComet - interested
33. Knip - interested
37. dpa43 - in
38. Rance - interested
39. LUCA - interested
41. bensenvill - in
43. 111R - interested
44. svt490 - interested
45. 88SVT - interested

changed to In.
Posted By: J3SVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/01/05 09:23 PM
2. RandyCSVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
10. pole120 ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
25. ElKy - Interested
27. SVTFern - in
28. phd2be - interested
30. hsoverma - in
32. DyComet - interested
33. Knip - interested
37. dpa43 - in
38. Rance - interested
39. LUCA - interested
41. bensenvill - in
43. 111R - interested
44. svt490 - interested
45. 88SVT - interested
47. Tour4reak - interested
48. BrApple - interested

changed to In.

just updating
fixed your name too pole12
Posted By: R_G Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/02/05 02:08 AM
Sorry, wasn't done on purpose
Posted By: SHOgoFast Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/02/05 06:06 AM
What the hey, why not spend some more money on this old car. Count me in.
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/02/05 05:47 PM
2. RandyCSVT- interested
5. Aspire- interested
6. R_G ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
10. pole120 ΓΆβ?¬β?? In
16. Tony D ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
21. Nkosi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
23. Stazi ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
24. Hdbngr8 ΓΆβ?¬β?? in
25. ElKy - Interested
27. SVTFern - in
28. phd2be - interested
30. hsoverma - in
32. DyComet - interested
33. Knip - interested
37. dpa43 - in
38. Rance - interested
39. LUCA - interested
41. bensenvill - in
43. 111R - interested
44. svt490 - interested
45. 88SVT - interested
47. Tour4reak - interested
48. BrApple - interested
49. SHOTIME2669, <-- my production number to haha
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/06/05 06:04 AM
Dont want to lose this thread!
Posted By: RawBurt Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/06/05 01:45 PM
It is very clear that this will be a very successful GB. I am in for sure, are there any updates?
Posted By: R_G Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/06/05 11:14 PM
It is very clear that this will be a very successful GB.

From your mouth to God's ear but our GBs taught me a lesson not to be overly optimistic - how many memebers we got in for the "Aussie Bar" GB? Like 80 within a short period of time....
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/06/05 11:25 PM
but it didnt fail because of people not paying like most of them...it failed because of a lack of supplier.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/07/05 02:33 AM
alright break it up gentlemen!

still working on the last details....sorry to be late
i should have the info up tomorrow. just need to make a few more phone calls.

ps can some Canuckians PM your full address so i can get an idea on what shipping to various Canadian spots will be like.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/07/05 03:41 AM
ok, some of you Canada peeps have been sending me your addys, thanks.

i have a question, for anyone, on shipping to Canada.
will i need to fill out customs forms?

any advice/suggestions? in my ebay sales ive avoided shipping to Canada for this very reason....although for CEGers i wouldnt mind tooo much
JUst declare it as a "US made auto part" with the correct value not including shipping costs....otherwise it will get delayed being processed.
OK guys I found someone who would manufacture them if he sees there is a market for them. If the subframe could be sold for more than our car like cougars too or even have an adapter plate for newer cars he will cast it into one single piece and stamp it as a patent. The guy wants to know if we have a CAD diagram or accurate measurements to go by.

He will see if he make a production for them will there be a profit margin on them. He prefers to do more of manufacturing than just welding one by one.

Since he is a large custom setup he has a better liabilty too.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/07/05 07:24 PM
thanks for selling off my GB
Posted By: R_G Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/07/05 10:48 PM
Ughm....
That sounds a lot different than what I envisioned. What happened to producing something like the pictures? If you cast a large piece, with the same dimensions, isn't it going to weigh a ton?

Can someone come up with the dimensions and the degree of the angled parts?
Posted By: Tourige Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/07/05 11:59 PM
Originally posted by BurritaSVT:
OK guys I found someone who would manufacture them if he sees there is a market for them. If the subframe could be sold for more than our car like cougars too or even have an adapter plate for newer cars he will cast it into one single piece and stamp it as a patent. The guy wants to know if we have a CAD diagram or accurate measurements to go by.

He will see if he make a production for them will there be a profit margin on them. He prefers to do more of manufacturing than just welding one by one.

Since he is a large custom setup he has a better liabilty too.

Start your own GB, we already have someone who is putting lots of effort into this. Kinda lame of you.
Posted By: R_G Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/08/05 12:47 AM
Kinda concur...
Posted By: svt4stv Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/08/05 12:49 AM
as B&J would say "thanks for your support"

the new actual GB is forthcoming soooon.... by tonight!
Posted By: Nick98CSVT Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/08/05 01:27 AM
Maybe he's not trying to be a dick and take over the GB, but maybe hes trying to help. Anyone ever think of that before you jump down his throat. I looking at it from both perspectives. Maybe Im right, maybe Im wrong.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/08/05 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Nick98CSVT:
Maybe he's not trying to be a dick and take over the GB, but maybe hes trying to help. Anyone ever think of that before you jump down his throat. I looking at it from both perspectives. Maybe Im right, maybe Im wrong.

..nope,im with you. whatever it takes to get these things going..
i read the post earlier and there was some controvery on a place that could produce them. Personally I didn't want to start no group buy I have no time here I was going to set the person up with the guy I know. And he was going to to round corners and and paint and all for the same money price area. But nevermind GL with the group buy just thought you might want more for your money. Later
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: subframe connectors interest check - 12/08/05 04:42 AM
GB
© CEG Archives