Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I am gauging an interest check in plexiglass replacement windows for the four side windows.

they can be obtained as smoked(about 15-20% darkness, but not actual TINT.. ) or clear (which you could then tint yourself to any level)

If there is enough interest, I will order a sheet, and experiment at work on creating replacements..
Interested, how well will this material hold up as far as scratches and deformation from heat are concerned?
Won't they scratch alot and very easily? as well as yellow?
Originally posted by 5V7 Dr1v3r627:
as well as yellow?

Probably. But that will just make your car faster. I'm guessing Kremit will be in for all 4!

Mark
heh... I'm about to mold up some black acrylic for my sunroof panel

This is 1/4"? Going to be expensive, but hopefully with enough people, it won't be.

I'd be interested, depending on price and how it looks from the outside and inside.

If you do end up doing your windows, and with the smoked, please post pictures.
From experience...stick to glass.

Plexi will yellow, scratch very easily, warp, shrink and lose its luster in a very short period of time.

Unless they have new composite materials, glass is the way to go.

Especially in a warm weather climate like Texas, Florida and the like.
this is 1/8 inch (same as stock glass)

The smoked composite won't yellow, but I can't vouch (personally) for the clear...

It is definitely an experiment, and in no way proveable that it WON'T scratch.. if there is INTEREST, I will experiment on mine, run it for a while and document the wear, if any.

This is used to replace stock glass at my job (stock trailers, living quarters, RVs, Mobile Homes, etc)

Needs to be Lexan to be viable.
and can/will still scratch easily and yellow
ya id say lexan too. i beleive it is cheaper too.
but why would u wanna do this unless ur making a race car and want to save wait?
Why oh why would you do this? A buddy of mine did when he turned his Chevy pickup into a convertible. He can still put the top on it but it was slightly chopped so he went with plexi sides. They are all scratched up now.
I had no personal interest in it.. however the machine was there, and easily cuttable for whatever shapes I needed, and figured that I would pass along the ability to others.

Ray
2 benefits I can think of....

1) Save weight. Anyone know how much the 4 windows weigh? I'd guess at least 100 lbs (25 x 4). This, theoretically, would slightly lower the center of gravity.

2) The less weight will prolong the life of the power window motor.

BTW, the glass in the sunroof panel weighs about 12 lbs. I'd guess each side window would weigh quite a bit more than that.

I think the only way this would be viable is if the cost is reasonable and the ability to replace them when they become badly scratched. Reasonable cost being low enough to be able to replace them and not worry too much about it.

Ray, have you also thought about the rear window? Will you also be molding the windows to follow the factory glass curves?
rear window would be out, for the curvature. the side windows are fine, though.. that I can have done.

I'll have a definitive price on the complete set this coming week, and it will be offered in a passive basis..

© CEG Archives