Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Goonz SVT Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 07:16 PM
I'm in contact with a company called *SC Clear Bra* that might make a custom smoked film for my tailights..I just had an idea that maybe I can ask them to make a few for those who maybe interested..the film is 17mm thick and has a warranty for 5-years..as stated, the smoke style is about 35% tint.. Im the the process of taking care of a few things first with them like measurments and etc so the price is unknown..this will only be for 98+ contours since mine is an svt..

anyone interested..?

please no PM's..
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 07:24 PM
u have a pic?
Posted By: esveetee Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 07:24 PM
I'd be interested but I'd also like to see what the outcome would look like, just to be sure it's not too dark or too light for my tastes.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 07:30 PM
Originally posted by ZetecChris:
u have a pic?

I dont have a pic because they dont make them for contours...yet..Im trying to have them make 10 kits..mine being the first *test phase* so to say..I just wanted interest but I do understand you all need to see what they look like, this is what it is on other cars..

Sounds like a nice idea for those who have/will paint the reflector.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 07:38 PM
well they called back saying what I knew they would, they said that our model is not high in demand and that if I want to do it, they would sell me like a bulk roll and then I could just cut it out and make copies like that... wtf!
Thats sucks. Is it from this company? Smoke
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 07:50 PM
Originally posted by PacificTourGL:
Thats sucks. Is it from this company? Smoke

yepp!
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 08:28 PM
should just go to a tint shop
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 08:51 PM
Originally posted by JeSuSToUr:

I gotta figure out the MA tint laws for headlights..cops around my area hate me and if they see me with anything that might be in question, I'll be pulled over..
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 08:57 PM
niteshades kids......it's not quite as dark as this makes it look, and light output is just as bright as stock after aplication.....

Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 09:26 PM
niteshades can not be removed like a tint film...
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 09:36 PM
Originally posted by BlackE1:

I was about to say that..
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 09:46 PM
There was a thread awhile back about doing this in clear for the headlights. It's more important to protect the lens cause of the cost of the h/l but it never got off the ground. I think the tail lights would have the same problems the headlights would.....too many compound curves which would result in creases, cuts, folds, etc, and the end result would not be something we'd like. I suppose if you had a large piece and put it on a small section at a time, all the while stretching it so it wouldn't bunch up....nah, way too much hassle. Just use Niteshade on the rears and hope nobody kicks up rocks into your headlights.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/09/05 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

thats weird, because i took it off with a little laquer thinner

I'm still trying to find a place local to get nightshade
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/10/05 02:23 AM
order it from summit.
Originally posted by pole120:

thats cause laquer thinner would strip powdercoat! that stuff is soo toxic. what did the lens look like after you rubbed the thinner on them.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/10/05 04:26 AM
I like the idea of that tint film. I actually used a similar product on my Celica before I heard of niteshades,and it was basically a black film,but it has tiny little holes in it that let 100& of the light through. From a distance it looked good,but up close was kinda ghey,so I ended up taking it off. I forget what the stuff was called and who made it. But it was a PITA to install with all the cutting and making sure it fits and not bunch up. Eventually it started losing it's stickiness and started peeling off. I used it on my car and 2 of my friends also used it because they liked it,but had the same poor results in the end. I was the only one brave enough to try niteshades,which I did on my Mystique.

I'm kinda getting out of the blacked out look now,and I tried nitshades on my Contour,to do a green car with black accents and stuff,but it looked like crap,so I used some laquer thinner to take it off. I rinsed the lenses with soap and water to clean them off,but I got tiny little spiderweb cracks in my lenses. They aren't noticeable unless your nose is literally touching the lens,but that stuff is pretty harsh! The only application I liked blacked out lights on is on an all black car,like my Mystique. I don't think it suits any other colour. Sometimes yellow,but then you start looking like a bumble bee.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/10/05 12:59 PM
Originally posted by dubkatz:
Originally posted by pole120:

thats cause laquer thinner would strip powdercoat! that stuff is soo toxic. what did the lens look like after you rubbed the thinner on them.

who told you laquer thinner would strip powdercoating?

the lenses are totally unharmed, ask anyone thats seen my tails....i coated tham too heavily the first go-around, stripped it about a week later with the laquer thinner and re-caoted, did no prep on the re-shoot. there were no ill effects to any part od the tails from the thinner.

if you go on niteshades website, they tell you to use laquer thinner to remove it
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/11/05 12:07 AM

I gotta figure out the MA tint laws for headlights..cops around my area hate me and if they see me with anything that might be in question, I'll be pulled over..

well they are illegal in like most of the states for both even if it doesnt change how well your lights work, va they are illegal. usually your local sheriffs office or court clerk will answer your question
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/11/05 12:14 AM
i saw the other tail a clear film for lights and wheel well edges that guaranteed to not every be penetrated, much unlike college chicks
Posted By: Aspire Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/11/05 12:26 AM
i saw the other tail a clear film for lights and wheel well edges that guaranteed to not every be penetrated, much unlike college chicks

You should be able to penetrate college chicks
Bring em on !!! Florida doesn't give a HOOT about dumb azz laws ....need some to match my 5% tint
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/11/05 05:02 AM
find a backup pair of taillights on ebay and use nightshades on them. If you have any problems you can switch back to stock. Niteshades only costs $8 and some of your time, and niteshades spray will def look better than that film.
I too used laquer thinner on my taillights to take off a previous tint application with no problems whatsoever.
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: Smoked Film For Tailights **Interest** - 08/11/05 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Aspire:

You should be able to penetrate college chicks

i said unlike college chicks
© CEG Archives