Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 01:24 AM
There has been a lot of interest about lightweight rear deck subs recently in the car audio forum, whcih got me to thinking. In recent years, I haven't owned a contour and now that I have one, I will be much easier to make contour specific audio parts. One problem is I ahve a crapload of projects going on along with trying to complete housework before our baby is born. So, maybe we can do a few things at once, make me some money to help cover adoption costs, get cegers application specific equipment, and maybe even donate a portion of profits to CEG.

Any thoughts on what to make? I could see doing 1 or 2 things, but because of lack of time on my part, they woudl have to be relatively generic unless i can recruit some local CEGers help. Or even non-local for that matter.
Posted By: MxRacer Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 01:31 AM
i'll help with whatever you need, dave-ola.

i would think there will be a good amount of interest in a rear deck sub gb, and hopefully some kickpanels again.

Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 01:32 AM
Being an audio noob, my only suggestion would be a mounting plate made of MDF in 6" and 8" sizes. Possibly even make it a kit with screws and other needed materials to mount it to the rear deck.
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 02:06 AM
That might be a great entry point. Just the MDF made to fit, with a template printed on paper and mounting instructions/nuts/bolts etc. It would be necessary to make teh MDF cut out in any case if I were to do a fiberglass sealed enclosure to go with it. Keep the ideas coming.
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 02:27 AM
I could sure use a set of kickpanels, but I dunno what exactly you have the time/energy for
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 02:41 AM
Kickpanels would be cool.

I'd also love to see maybe some diagrams of where the best places are for like tweeters and such. I have gotten so much conflicting information from the internet + local shops i really don't even know what to think
Posted By: Nate S Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 03:04 AM
agreed- kickpanels would rock! something i would be interested in.

it's all up to you though.

how about a custom fiberglass subwoofer enclosure for the taillight corner of my trunk?
it's something that im highly interested in doing though, but probably not feasible
Posted By: Doggie Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 03:36 AM
I would be interested in both kick panels and sub.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 04:59 AM
A lightweight rear deck sub would peak my intrest for sure. Its rather low priority for me now, but if the price is right I might bite .
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 05:03 AM
One thing I want to really make clear is that once we have a direction decided upon, there will be very limited options. I can't do 14 different versions of the sub enclosure for instance. Let's start compiling a list of options, then I will post a poll which can be voted on to maybe limit it to one sub and one kick panel configuration.

5.25" kickpanel
6.5" kickpanel
10" fiberglass sub enclosure in trunk behind wheel well.
12" FG enclosure in ^
10-12" Bandpass enclosure utilizing factory speaker cutout in deck
Small diameter IB sub in deck (sub included)
Just the baffle with mounting template and hardware (sub not included)
Sealed box sub hanging from deck

Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 05:10 AM
So for a lightweight deck sub are you talkin a lightweight box, or is there such a thing as a lightweight subwoofer on the market? I can make a box, but would prefer a free-air deck sub realy.
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 12:57 PM
livinsvt,

at this point, any option will be considered. there are lightweight subs, relatively speaking.
Posted By: Guitarman19853 Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 01:10 PM
how about a simple all in one install package for someone wanting a rear deck sub... like the TangBand 6.5" driver and an MDF mounting board and amp combo?
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 01:19 PM
I would love a lightweight rear deck sub. Right now I have a 12" in a particle board box that I never have in the car because it kills trunk space and it's too heavy to race with anyway. But, I really miss it because my 4.5" speakers are obviously completely incapable of creating any bass. So if you could get a nice, light 6" or 8" sub that would add negligible weight (after removing material for it to fit in), for a reasonable price (a $75-$100 speaker is good enough for me), I would be very interested.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 02:02 PM
Originally posted by dnewma04:
livinsvt,

at this point, any option will be considered. there are lightweight subs, relatively speaking.

Cool sounds good. How light are we talkin for an 8"?
Posted By: R_G Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Digital Slacker:
Kickpanels would be cool.

Down for kickpanels (6.5")
Posted By: Swazo Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 03:32 PM
I'd be in for atleast the 6.5" kick's. The complete rear deck sub setup sounds like something I'd like so I can ditch my 15" sub/heavy box, I'm more into SQ anyway. A little more info or pics of the prototype would be cool!

Great idea for a GB
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Swazo:
The complete rear deck sub setup sounds like something I'd like. A little more info or pics of the prototype would be cool!

Great idea for a GB

Posted By: TGO Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 05:23 PM
i already have a sub, but i wouldbe interested in a 12" fg enclosure
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 05:39 PM
I did the rear deck sub setup a couple weeks ago, some of you probably saw my post in pics and videos. I don't want to clutter this thread with pictures so i'll put a link to my photobucket page, that has pics to what I did for my rear deck sub. All of the pics for that are on the first page (at least I think so) Feel free to browse through the gallery, almost all of the pics are car stuff. I've got some of my opt. tb, plexiglass heatshield, etc...

Maybe the pictures could give you an idea of something that people might be interested in...

Here's the link... Photobucket Link

Oh yea, it sounds really good, i'm very happy with the setup. It can't be too heavy either... I'd guess between the sub, amp, and extra sound deading probably 10-15lbs. for the setup... Pretty light really...

EDIT: I don't think that link is gonna work... Here are some links to pics, just in case...

Pic 1

Pic 2
Posted By: SvtEdwardo420 Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 06:00 PM
yea i got this little subs from my nieghbor i mean there 8"s nice and light and he said that there ok for bass but more for mid range. im sure he could get us as many as possible he works for a audio company i havent hooked the sub up yet but ill do that today and c how it sounds and let you guys know
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 09:46 PM
Edwardo,

Can you give me any more info, or possibly a contact name?
Posted By: Nate S Re: Audio GBs? - 07/30/05 10:08 PM
Would be interested possibly in the 6.5" kickpanels and definitely in the 12" fiberglass subwoofer enclosure
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 02:37 PM
Just a quick rundown of potential items to vote on.

Subwoofer Options:

Rear Deck Sub

Fiberglass sub behind wheel well

Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 02:38 PM

Rear Deck Sub Options:

Infinite Baffle kit

IB with driver options at different price levels

Sealed with driver.

Sealed with blank baffle

Ported (larger, more output)

Fiberglass trunk mounted enclosure:

Universal sealed enclosure

Pre-loaded with driver optimized to enclosure size (my driver choice)
Universal Sealed with provisions for a very deep sub (9-10� deep)

Kickpanels options:

Universal kit with provisions for up to 6.5� mid and small diameter tweeter.

Kit including drivers of my choice with optimized crossover/placement.

Two of three step upgrade list, option 1. just enclosures, option 2: enclosures, drivers, crossover components unassembled, option 3: option 2 with crossovers assembled.

Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 02:39 PM
Whoo Hoo it's 100% for the rear deck sub, and I was the only person to vote!!!
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Bk4293:
Whoo Hoo it's 100% for the rear deck sub, and I was the only person to vote!!!

Make sure you vote for the rear deck sub option you would like to see.
Posted By: KnuKonceptz_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 02:51 PM
Kick panels are gonna be intersting, Ford hosed us with the huge one peice sill plate
Posted By: SvtEdwardo420 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 03:15 PM
i was just looking on the jbl website and they have a new 8" sub product # gto804 its kinda light and is only 100 dollars so the employee price would be about 50. i will be talking to him later today because he has my new amp and sub, so ill let you guys know, these speakers would come with a warranty.
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 04:59 PM
As another option, how about a lightweight bandpass enclosure mounted to the floor with the port firing throut the rear deck? Total weight shouldn't be much more than 20 lbs. It might have a few extra pounds, but it would have a lower center of gravity.

Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 05:25 PM
Actually, total weight of enclosure and subs should be closer to 15 lbs than 20 lbs.
Posted By: path914 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 05:33 PM
I think that would be awesome, although I personally would prefer vented to bandpass, but cool either way
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 05:36 PM
That would also be an option, the advantage to a bandpass is its entire output can be directly ported into the cabin and the problem with most bandpass subs is they are inproperly tuned. In this case, we can adjust for the platform and make sure it's tuned properly.
Posted By: path914 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/01/05 07:18 PM
Originally posted by dnewma04:
That would also be an option, the advantage to a bandpass is its entire output can be directly ported into the cabin and the problem with most bandpass subs is they are inproperly tuned. In this case, we can adjust for the platform and make sure it's tuned properly.

But then what would I do with my silly 6-month-in-the-making horn sub, lol?
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/02/05 01:38 AM
Use it as a computer sub. Next question?
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/02/05 06:31 AM
I like the bandpass setup, but will it clear strut tower braces?
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/02/05 10:58 AM
I thought about that last night, I would seriously doubt it but I have never done measurements. If anyone with a brace could pull some measurements for me, I could see if it could be worked around.
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: Audio GBs? - 08/04/05 01:14 AM
From what i've seen most rear braces sit in the middle to the top of the strut tower. Making it clear that would be tricky, but I think do-able... You'd definitely need some good measurements though.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Audio GBs? - 08/10/05 04:37 PM
what about sirius sattelite radio equipment...I need a reciever for a kenwood sirius ready hu..no one seems to sell it anymore..I need the kenwood sirius sattelite reciever with antenna..is that involved in this GB? thanks

H
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/10/05 06:29 PM
this certainly wouldn't include any discontinued electronic equipment like HUs, amps, active crossovers, etc. Enclosures and potentially drivers/passive crossovers.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Audio GBs? - 08/10/05 06:38 PM
I need a 85amp fuse will that be included in this GB?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/13/05 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Kinda SteedaSan:

WTF?

Go spend the 5 dollars at autozone.
Posted By: path914 Re: Audio GBs? - 08/13/05 06:25 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:
Originally posted by Kinda SteedaSan:

WTF?

Go spend the 5 dollars at autozone.

Sarcasm...
Posted By: contour_phoenix_when_dup1 Re: Audio GBs? - 09/15/05 05:48 PM
dave so where does this GB stand?
Posted By: ymicz Re: Audio GBs? - 09/20/05 07:11 AM
6.5" kick panels PLEAAAASE.
© CEG Archives