Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
OK I'm offering a real good deal for people for a short time. I will Powder Coat 4 rims UP TO 17" for $50.00 each . You have a choice between Solid Colors or Translucent. The turn around time will be 2 days for the completion of 4 rims. Also depending on shipping. I'm not offering 2 tone or will be doing lip polishing. We are located in Florida and I need at LEAST 3 people to be in for this to happen .

Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/23/05 10:01 PM
I HATE YOU!!!!!
I've been debating on weather or not to Powder coat just the spoke on my RS5's gunmetal or not.....and now I'm undecided again.

On A Side Note....
Wanted to say thanks for the Gift Certs at Spring Zing man, that was pretty classy of you to donate those.
You couldnt possibly go with 1 more inch and go with 18's also?? Id probly be in if so...its onlyyyyy one more inch...
Posted By: svt4stv Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/23/05 11:46 PM
or 19"?
OK I will go to 18" but thats all , I really don't want to get carried away with these big sucka's . We need 3 people to be in though .
Originally posted by PÃ?â?¢WDÃ?â?°Ã?®CÃ?Ë?Ã?Æ?TMÃ?â?¬Ã?Æ?:
OK I will go to 18" but thats all , I really don't want to get carried away with these big sucka's . We need 3 people to be in though .

Saweeeeet! your my hero Josh!!
Posted By: tropictour Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/24/05 01:27 AM
Do you guys think tropic green E1's would look good? I saw a set of green wheels on a new green Jaguar XJR and it looked sweet.
-tropictour
Josh,

Not to put a damper on this, but as a fellow powdercoater on here, don't you think you need to warn people about outgassing and the possible damage to their rims?

Rick
Posted By: Pole120 Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/24/05 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Josh,

Not to put a damper on this, but as a fellow powdercoater on here, don't you think you need to warn people about outgassing and the possible damage to their rims?

Rick

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/24/05 04:07 AM
man I'd do that but shipping will rape me and I dont feel like takin out my tires
Rick I have talked to a lot of people about this situation and have done 8 rims so far , That�s why it took me so long to offer this Group Buy , I always want to make sure I can do something before I offer it . I was assured by many people that there aren�t any problems with doing rims. If there was I guess neither have I seen it, or was told by anyone. Maybe you can send me a PM so you can advise me more on this issue?
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/24/05 05:42 PM
Basically, outgassing turns a heat treated aluminum wheel into buttersoft aluminum that can bend or crack on the smallest of potholes. You can get by using a UV cure lamp and some low cure temp powders.

What you want to avoid is any oven cure temp that heats the wheel all the way through at a temp high enough to change the metal structure (different temps for forged vs. billet).
darn i wish i had some extra money right now, i wanna have the insides of my st-200 spokes done:(
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/25/05 12:27 AM
Are the people who are interested reading the warnings and doing some research?
Hey Josh:

I don't know why anyone is jumping on you about rims. I have done a ton of rims in all sorts of substrates... including alum & alloy's. The curing temps of 400F will not cause any damage to the rims.
Outgassing is another issue.
I outgass casted items only. To outgass, I prebake the casted item about 25F - 50F degrees higher & 20 minutes longer than the recomended cure schedule of the powder I am using. I do warn my customers that "Although I prebake to prevent & limit outgassing. It is not always 100% effective. And that I cannot be held responsible for additional outgassing"
So powder away!
Good Luck
Bob
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/25/05 06:39 PM
Who is Bob and why is he an authority on this?
Posted By: ryanblacksvt Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/25/05 07:20 PM
i would love to have mine done but i already painted mine plus you said no 2 tone
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/26/05 04:11 AM
what about aftermarket wheels that come powdercoated from the manufacturer. how do they do it?
I haven't seen too many wheels that are actually powdered from the factory, but the process of using UV curing or low temp curing powders would be my guess as neither one of those options heats the rim much.

Rick
I will add my uneducated .02 here.

I had my 93 SHO rims powdered coated in 00. I had 0 problems with the rims and they looked beautiful.

Quite a few fellow SHO guys have done the same, and its a big thing in the L community as well.

As with anything there are associated risks.
I guess i should have mentioned i have a UV curing system .
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: [[Powder Coating Rims Group Buy ]] - 05/26/05 05:42 PM
BTW, pass this message on to Bob:

Prebaking at higher temps only eliminates the outgassing making bubbles in the coating. It does not eliminate the metalurlogical change that happens that removes and/or alters aluminum heat treating at those prebake or cure temperatures in a regular curing oven! In fact, it makes it worse!

Powdercoatman, you will be O.K. coating rims if you use a UV cure system and/or low temp curing powder. Do not take the chance that Bob does with his customers' lives!!!
The people who say that say baking aluminum aluminum/alloy rims is dangerous are idiots .I *am* an engineer, and molecular reorganization (annealing) only begins to occur at about half the melting temperature of the material. Since aluminum melts at 1220.58 �°F, you can divide that by 2 and see that you'd have to be curing powdercoat at over 600 degrees before affecting the strength of the aluminum. Alloys of aluminum typically mix in materials with even higher temps, so they are also no problem.

But you folks who think that powdercoating rims damages them...you go right ahead and think that, and send your customers over to "Crazy SuperMatty" and I'll gladly suck up your lost profits.

Matt

I didn't say any of this , jsut something I asked about, so I pasted the info here .
© CEG Archives