Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
There is this shop that I have gone to a few times called StickerCity.com which is pretty close to my house. Ive gone there on recommendation from a mutual friend (of mine and the owner) and these guys are really cool and very professional. They have some state-of-the-art equipment they use to do their vinyl graphics. Not some cheapo mall stuff.

Anyways, I was looking at their site to see if they have Saleen production #s decals when I saw these cool vinyl headlight protection sheets. These are supposed to protect your lights from rocks and what not. The website doesnt list the contour but I called and the guy said they have it in the program. The program custom cuts vinyl for the windshield, headlights, tail lights etc.. No having to custom cut it yourself, at least not for the headlights. they dont have our tail lights in the program. You would have to buy a bulk sheet and do it yourself. At least no mess like with the spray stuff, which they sell too. This stuff is just like the SC clear bra, which they also sell. (pricey!)

I asked the guy if they would help protect painted headlights from fading and he said the tinted ones would. I forgot to ask if they would prevent the fogging/yellowing though. I got the standard order price for our 98+ up cars. Pre-98 im sure is very close in price. I asked if they do GBs and he said yes but the wholesale guy isnt in right now. So for now, Ill just see what kind of interest there is.

Pre-cut headlights/foglights: (both come in the set)
Clear $49.95
Color $54.95 (available in blue, yellow and smoke!)

Bulk sheet is $14.95 per linear foot.
He said the tail lights are a bit difficult due to the curvatures and it is time-consuming as well.

They have the clear bra but the contour is not listed on the website. This stuff is pretty expensive but would be good if your front end is freshly painted. or to protect your cf hood!

I will email him the Saleen font pic to see if they have it or something very similar. He said it would be about $11 for the decal. (top quality vinyl)

They also sell Photoblocker spray but I found it is much cheaper if you buy it direct from Photoblocker.com.

Yellow headlights Kremit.....

PS if they end up not being interested in a GB then at least you guys know where you can buy some quality stuff from a good shop.
PS this interest check is for the headlight covers only. If you are interested in one of their other products then just go to their website and deal with them directly. I didnt think any of the other stuff will garner enough interest for a GB.
Originally posted by svt4stv:

Yellow headlights Kremit.....

Haha, if I wanted yellow headlights I would have never wet sanded mine. Sorta interested in smoke, but I'm broke.
The blue looks KINDA cool....
wonder how does it affect light output

edit:
when u find out about the saleen build # decal, lemme know... my local sign shop didnt even come close and im embarrassed 2 b seen with it on my bumper
wouldnt the color things be illegal?

a better group buy suggestion might be to have eyebrows made. I know I want a set and heard they are a real PITA to make *surprisingly enough). Im sure you would have alot more ppl buy into that than just headlight covers. just an

p.s I might be intrested in some covers for my PIAA fogs. Dont want stone chips on those babies $$$ ....I persoanlly havent had a prob w/ stone chips on my headlights.
the guy said the yellows are legal in all states (what he says). he said blue is iffy but in CA they havent had any problems. smoke is a no-no anywhere and everywhere.

im sure they would be interested in making eyebrows if you could design them in a computer program that would transfer to their software. other than that, i guess just buy the headlight set and cut them from there. at least the top of the light would already be done for you. if you wanted it in a specific vinyl color just ask them to do headlight covers in that color (solid) and then cut them as you see fit. shouldnt be too hard.

yeah, i thought some people with expensive fogs might dig the fog covers. especiallys since ive read that some have broken rather easily. maybe they can do just the fogs.

if anything, just puttin it out there for future reference for everyone.

im sure they would be interested in making eyebrows if you could design them in a computer program that would transfer to their software. other than that, i guess just buy the headlight set and cut them from there. at least the top of the light would already be done for you. if you wanted it in a specific vinyl color just ask them to do headlight covers in that color (solid) and then cut them as you see fit. shouldnt be too hard.

yeah, i thought some people with expensive fogs might dig the fog covers. especiallys since ive read that some have broken rather easily. maybe they can do just the fogs.

if anything, just puttin it out there for future reference for everyone.

$50 some bucks to butcher up a set of their covers to make eyelids and a good chance at a slip of the knife? ummm no thanks, I can pick up a sheet of vinyl for a few bucks or a couple pices of scraps for free. The hard part is the cutting. If they charged maybe $20 for the vynyl and cutting the lids then that would be cool.

Ya the fog lights is definatly a thought. Did you by any chance get a price for that. I believe the unanamous size for any fog that is being used is 4in.
You still have to fit it to the light. I cant see what custom cutting it would do to help, because you will still have to shrink and stretch it around the light. I actually think it would make it more dificult. It sounds like a good idea, but just sell it by the foot. The larger the piece the easier it will be to form around the light. A small piece you will be hard pressed not to get a finger print on the adhesive, and on clear vinyl, your screwed.fog lights will be fine cut, but something with so many curves, like the headlights, i would just apply then cut.
Just my $.02 but what do i know
i dont know who all has tried to do vinyl eyebrows but they are extremly hard on our cars, all the curves on our lights make it extremly difficult. i have seen people with focus's do thiers and its like nothing but ours no thanks, my old lights i painted them on, but my new ones no way
Originally posted by ryanblacksvt:
they are extremly hard on our cars

mine turned out like [censored]! dunno if its my inexperience with vinyl or the fact that it was like 4am and snowing when i did it a million little bubbles, but hardly noticable from more then a foot away
well yes when its cold the vinyl is less plyable, thats why you use a hairdryer or a good heatgun to form it around corners and stuff but ours have soo many contours (punn intended) its too hard to do, i tried like 8 times on mine and couldnt do it, my vinyl guy said he could do it but would take some time. i can do vinyl pretty well myself but eyebrows on our headlights is a no go for me
I really like the idea of protecting my new headlights but it also seems undoable. How can they cut anything to fit the curves of our headlights and then send it to you in a box? If Ryan thinks eyebrows are next to impossible to do right, the headlights must be ridiculous. If something reasonable is available, I'd be interested. If not, I'd still like something to protect my PIAA 510's.
exactly, if they were molded to fit right on then yes but that would be nearly impossible i think, but i do have a friend that is in school now and is working with carbon fiber and has to do 5 projects while in that class with it and the school pays for it so i told him dude i will pay you to do some cf eyebrows and maybe a cf oval for my car as 2 of your projects, and if not then i am going to try and make some fiberglass eyebrows, whenever i do i will post pics then do a gb here...
I'd take 2 for my Hella fog lights depending on the pric, I already destroyed a pair thanks to rock chips
Originally posted by wa2tuff:
I'd still like something to protect my PIAA 510's.

I startin to think, just how much protection can a thin, flexible, sheet of vinyl really provide? If a rock/pebble is big enough to break the lens, seems like the plastic sheet is only gonna keep it from shattering, like safety glass, but not actually keep it from breaking.
i am thinking the same thing, and by the way where did you get your fogs and what did they cost? and lastely do they botl up to the exhisting fogs?
My lights have never gotten shattered or anything like that but they get pitted and the corner lights have little cracks. Quite possible the vinyl would stop that from happening.
eyebrows arent that hard. i am going to provide a how to with pics within the next few days. you cannot cut them. as parked car said, you have to stretch them onto the light. if anything, they will cut you a rectangular strip about 2.5" by 2' or so. the rest is up to you.
Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:
$50 some bucks to butcher up a set of their covers to make eyelids and a good chance at a slip of the knife? ummm no thanks, I can pick up a sheet of vinyl for a few bucks or a couple pices of scraps for free. The hard part is the cutting. If they charged maybe $20 for the vynyl and cutting the lids then that would be cool.

Ya the fog lights is definatly a thought. Did you by any chance get a price for that. I believe the unanamous size for any fog that is being used is 4in.

$50 is for the computer cut stuff. it obviously cost more due to their having the program. if you were to order just a sheet of of the see through vinyl then the price is listed above (ie $14.95 a foot). im sure this stuff is a bit more expensive then just plain old everyday vinyl. if that's all you want then call them. youre probably looking at around $10 a foot or so (probably less), but i can only guess. a few years back i bought a sheet of red vinyl for my buddy. i believe it was 3 feet. it cost around $20.

$50 is for the computer cut stuff. it obviously cost more due to their having the program. if you were to order just a sheet of of the see through vinyl then the price is listed above (ie $14.95 a foot). im sure this stuff is a bit more expensive then just plain old everyday vinyl. if that's all you want then call them. youre probably looking at around $10 a foot or so (probably less), but i can only guess. a few years back i bought a sheet of red vinyl for my buddy. i believe it was 3 feet. it cost around $20.

In the 1st post you stated this in regards to having them make eyelids...

other than that, i guess just buy the headlight set and cut them from there. at least the top of the light would already be done for you. if you wanted it in a specific vinyl color just ask them to do headlight covers in that color (solid) and then cut them as you see fit. shouldnt be too hard.

so this is why I said this...

Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:
$50 some bucks to butcher up a set of their covers to make eyelids and a good chance at a slip of the knife? ummm no thanks, I can pick up a sheet of vinyl for a few bucks or a couple pices of scraps for free.

You didnt mention using a ordinary standard piece of vynyl from them to make the eyelids at the beginning...you said to make them from the $50-some covers. That is why I said thats unresonable
im not talking having them make eyelids at all. i highly doubt they would be interested. the only thing that is unreasonable is you wanting other people to do the work for you for peanuts.

if youre a broke car enthusiast then DIY! if your game really is platinum, then this shouldnt even be an issue for you.
its not about anyone working for penuts, i can get vinyl from a local guy that does all my vinyl for dirt cheap sometimes he gives me a 2-3 foot roll for free, its simply a fact that its extremly hard just to do eyebrows on our headlights let alone cover the entire headlight, i dont think it can be done without major bubbles and creases or cuts all over the place making them look like crap. trust me i have done vehicle wraps before as well as other things in vinyl and our headlights, is one of the worst things i have ever tried to vinyl before and after about 8 tries it aint happening. not to say that someone else couldnt do it but i cant thats a fact. if you can cover a contour headlight in blue or yellow and not a photoshop either and post a pic i will stand by your side, and probly buy some, but till then i guarantee you wont sell any unless its for fogs which mainly have a flatt surface, which i will do red for my fogs
thank you ryanblacksvt...svt4whatever didnt seem to catch on....i think he's a little slllllloooooow.
I can get this done at a local shop, where they cut a 3M material made specifically for headlights in order to protect for for UV light, hazing and cracking, lifetime warranty, including the headlights. The cost, including labor (they put them on your car) is $35 for both headlights, last time I checked. I wet sanded mine and was going to have this done, but I decided to wait and get new ones someday, and just have it done to them

so....i really wouldnt' be willing to pay that price and then have to risk messing it up myself, when I can have it done by professionals for the same or lower cost. If it was more like $15 for both lights, then I would be in
Originally posted by ryanblacksvt:
i am thinking the same thing, and by the way where did you get your fogs and what did they cost? and lastely do they botl up to the exhisting fogs?

I got mine from a PIAA 510 GB last summer. I think they ended up costing around $175.00. The stock fog light holders have to be modified (easy job) and they're wired up to the stock fog wires. If you decide to get a pair, I think I could find the how-to for you. They're awesome!!
cool thanks man, and yeah i wont do anything like that to my headlights anyways, sometimes putting plastic or vinyl will make them haze worse and will eat away at the clear coating they put on them and make them dull. but yeah there are shops that will put it on for you for dirt cheap
© CEG Archives