Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: dion_dup1 Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/09/05 07:02 AM
To all the patient people who have been wanting a carbon fiber trunk. It's official, the buy is open now. It's not really a group buy, but the basic question that's on everyones minds is HOW MUCH???

$475 US for the trunk. This price is for local pickup, which is welcome, but by appointment only.

$600 US for those that need it shipped. That price is for the lower 48 states only. Canada, Hawaii, Alaska and out of country will need to call for shipping costs.

It can be done in fiberglass, 525 shipped, but I forgot to ask how much for pick-up.

As for the trunk, it's based on the 98+ trunk lid (sorry to the guys that wanted a 95-97), but here's the best part... it has a molded-in lip spoiler, similiar to the BMW M3 CSL (although steeper in angle and taller) or a 1973 Porsche 911 RS with the "ducktail" spoiler. It will have the center reflector as well. I don't have pictures of the finished product, that will be in a couple of weeks, but the modified trunk pictures I do have, and I'm expecting the pictures of the trunk right before it goes into the mold process.

All orders are to be placed with Carbon Fiber One. Please tell them you're purchasing the Contour carbon fiber trunk lid. Thanks to Bill and Jacob for designing and okaying this without any money up front from any Contour people. The phone number is (562) 404-9877.
is it just me or is the spoiler 6-8 inches tall?
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/09/05 07:17 AM
whaletail baby!
It's probably closer to 4 or 5 inches, although truly, I'm not sure, as I haven't seen it in person in over a week. It is on the larger side, but I think it will look great with the Mirko splitter or the AA front bumper. I will see if Bill can come on and give the actual dimensions of the spoiler.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/09/05 07:21 AM
any particular reason why they're making it so tall? im hoping it'll look alright.
Other than they wanted to, I don't know. The design is completely CF1's. No Contour person had any say in the design, not even me or Brett. I'm just happy they're producing it without monitary commitment from the CEG or fordcontour.org. This is CF1's project all on their own.
Is it made to be aerodynamic? Is it functional? and i guess i was right about march huh....lucky guess
Well looks like i have made up my mind. I am going to plan b. no CF trunk....sorry guys, just not feeling the nascar wing.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/09/05 04:50 PM
They need to lop at least 2" off that puppy.

Beg them to do that and then when the final piece is made I'll make up my mind on whether I want it or not.
Posted By: JB1 Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/09/05 05:14 PM
can one of you photoshop gurus show us what it would look like on a tour?
Originally posted by my csvt:

please
Originally posted by dion:
Other than they wanted to, I don't know. The design is completely CF1's. No Contour person had any say in the design, not even me or Brett.

That was a big mistake. Guess they will find out when it is not received very well. The wing doesn't even flow or look natural, looks like a 5 year old made a snow wall on top of the lid . They shoulda used the pre 98 lip spoiler as a guide....obviously they didn't. Its more a mountain spoiler than lip spoiler. Just my .02 but CF1 should have gotten some imput from ppl b4 designing the whaletail.

Then again red-necks might dig the NASCAR wing
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/09/05 06:10 PM
Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:

LOL
Posted By: SVTatGT Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/09/05 06:12 PM
Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:

On behalf of SE CEG I resent that statement.
can we get a molded in nascar emblem? I was hurt when I saw that it was a post 98 trunk, but I was still considering it. Then I saw that spoiler, and it was over. They might still get my money if they redesign it.
Looks good, but I will need to see a finished product before I purchase.

J
thanks Dion for the posts.
the wing isn't really that big. The fact that it's lighter than the rest of the trunk makes it look bigger.
the actual measurement of the wing is 4.5" from the top edge of the trunk.
we decided to go with the 98+ trunk because this trunk fit the mystique as well and opens up our market.

we are looking to have the first article in about 3 weeks and we'll post pics of it installed on Dion's car when it's ready.

Awesome! I've been looking for a replacement trunk for my Earnhardt Monte Carlo Special Edition!

Thanks for coming though guys this is gonna look great and really cut down on the weight!

Oh damn, wrong car forum.

Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/09/05 08:25 PM
Originally posted by parkedcar:
....sorry guys, just not feeling the nascar wing.

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/09/05 10:03 PM
I think we should probably see the finished product before we start pointing out flaws.. The wing might be a lot smaller than it looks in the picture.. Once it's on the car, it might look a lot different also.. And I think we all know, pictures don't do detailed work justice..

Mark
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
I think we should probably see the finished product before we start pointing out flaws.. The wing might be a lot smaller than it looks in the picture.. Once it's on the car, it might look a lot different also.. And I think we all know, pictures don't do detailed work justice..

Mark

Right on. Early stages never look porportioned right, especialy in a picture. People were saying the same thing about the cowl hood when I posted early mold pics. I would refrain judgement until its completed. Props to CF1 for taking the intiative.
Posted By: Aspire Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/09/05 11:54 PM
But would anyone else rather have a rear reflector delete?
Originally posted by livinsvt:

Props to CF1 for taking the intiative.

yes props for CF1 for taking the initiative to make 1...but...the props get takin away b/c they didnt take contour owners opinions into consideration. The goal was to make a trunk/wing that would be received very well which ultimatly would make them $ while making happy customers. Instead they made a trunk/wing that doesn't flow very well and as you can see not too many like it. It is crucial in the design phase to do research on what ppl like and what style is in demand. Aparently this step was skipped and the homework was not done. I do belive CF1 could produce an amazing looking trunk/wing if a "a little here a lot there" was taken off but considering how many ppl love the pre98 lip soiler, they would be kicking themsevles if they didnt do a type of molded in replica such as that. But most importantly they need something that FLOWS w/ the lines of the car in any wing they make.

If i owned that company I would fire all the design staff for not listening to what ppl want. In todays world you have to look at supply and demand. You can't just design something on a whim b/c thats the style YOU want to do. Bad move. But if their cards are played right they can turn this around and come up w/ a kick azz trunk
Posted By: m!key Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/10/05 01:03 AM
ummmmmmmmmmmm, i think i like it.
Originally posted by svtProdigy:
Is it made to be aerodynamic? Is it functional?

NOTHING is functional until your going 120 or so. The only way to have a wing actualy make a signifacant impact on downforce at low speed, it would have to be an f1 wing. even then i doubt they make huge amounts of d/f and 70mph.
i like it...only i'll take one in fiber glass, with a white tour and black cf hood & trunk lid,plus black wheels it might make the tour look like a used police cruiser
Originally posted by mikey boy:

Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:
Originally posted by mikey boy:

You guys are in denial....you will take any trunk if its made of carbon cause you been waiting so long.... Lets just say they would have had me as a customer...
Posted By: dion_dup1 Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 05:41 AM
Here are the most recent pictures..hopefully, you guys will see beyond the early stages....

Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 05:43 AM
yup, nascar
Posted By: parkedcar Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 05:53 AM
I will admit it looks a little better, but IMO its still too bold and prominant for the majority of contique owners.
Maybe, and i stress this, Maybe it will look better once finished and mounted. Just place that one on a car for now too see what we are dealing with.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 05:55 AM
I can't see why they would do this...HOW did they come up with this design? do they have drawings, or anything on how they came up with this... ? I would really like to see it on a car. To be honest it does look a little better...
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 07:30 AM
anyone have a hookup on hood-sized TIDE decals?
kinda looks like it will help out with the ollies and kick-flips.

it does look better now though. ill have to reserve my real smartass comments till the final product is done and ON the car.

you know, if they make this for the taurus it will probably sell hot cakes!...or is it flapjacks?
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 07:44 AM
Originally posted by svt4stv:
hot cakes!...or is it flapjacks?

depends where you live!!

I have a hook up with decalkits.com and could have one made if you want...
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 07:55 AM
i was jokeen. i grabbed the Nascar gag and ran with it..
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 07:59 AM
i was jk too...
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 08:43 AM
Hmmmm, I was actually considering it until I saw the prototype....as the others, I'm not really feeling the "lip", it's more of a fat lip. I figure a lip to be 2" or so....but a stock CF trunk lid or one with a small lip might tempt me.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 08:50 AM
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
Hmmmm, I was actually considering it until I saw the prototype....as the others, I'm not really feeling the "lip", it's more of a fat lip. I figure a lip to be 2" or so....but a stock CF trunk lid or one with a small lip might tempt me.

ditto...
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 01:27 PM
i'm really not feeling the lip, but i hope all turns out well in the end....

what i'ld really like to see is a CF post 98 trunklid, no spoiler, and a shaved face(like dean joyce's )
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 02:27 PM

lip survey
feelin' the lip
not feelin' the lip
undecided wuss

Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 02:57 PM
I can see it in my mind on a tour... and I think it will look sick! Now, is the entire lid CF? I'm confused about what its made of. Is the lip made of fiber and just "bondo-d" tot he trunk and them painted to look like CF??
Posted By: carraudio Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 02:59 PM
These are pictures of the trunk they are going to use the make the mold for it.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 03:01 PM
AHHHHH... okay, thanks. Can't wait to see the finished product, now.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 04:03 PM
Originally posted by pole120:
i'm really not feeling the lip, but i hope all turns out well in the end....

what i'ld really like to see is a CF post 98 trunklid, no spoiler, and a shaved face(like dean joyce's )

Posted By: path914 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 05:37 PM
I can't imagine that would look good on any Contour. Not only the height, but it seems boxy and doesn't flow with the smooth shape of the car.

Hopefully, the production version deals with these issues. I would loved to see a well-done CF truck lid.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 07:37 PM
As I stated before when they were 1st talking about this...make a stock OEM trunk lid, probably a pre-98. This would more than likely satisfy just about everyone, if you want to add a Lip, wing, etc. you would have that option to pick something that is of your own particular taste and choice. If CF1 was smart about this they could create a couple of carbon fiber spoilers/wings to sell as well that fit an OEM CF trunk lid. I think they really screwed up here. As for all you guys coming out and saying "if it's anything like the CF1 cowl hood it will be awesome". Well, apparently you don't have one or haven't looked at one very closely I do have one and in general I like it (from a distance and in pic's) but if I had to buy it over again I probably wouldn't. The fit is poor and the finish and overall quality is average at best. I would consider my hood a "BLEM" but it was not sold to me that way�I paid full price. This CF1 Trunk Lid w/Old School Spoiler is just like the mistake they made on the Cowl hood's useless little scoop/bird bath they put in the center of the hood. If they had asked CEG up front they would have found out that ~90% would NOT have wanted the scoop. The current pole in this thread is clearly showing the same about the CF1 trunk lid as well. With such a small market this clearly was not a smart move on their part. Lets face it this car is a dying bread and in general not very desirable to the majority of the general public or even car enthusiast. IMHO if not for the SVT or Mondeo this car wouldn't get any real interest whatsoever for modding other then a few poor high school kids with Grandmom's free Contour. As we all well know...kid's will try and mod just about anything. Body parts in general for the most part have been developed for the non-SVT guys since they are easily found and typically much cheaper. This gives them a chance to convert to the SVT look or some other custom version, you don't find too many SVT guys changing the body all that much.

All in all I'm glad CF1 is willing to make parts for our cars but if they want to do well they need to get online here and get real opinions before they build things that pretty much only we here on CEG will buy for the most part.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 07:39 PM
Did you ever think about cutting the birdbath and making the hood functional!? That is what a few MI guys did.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 07:44 PM
Thats just it...a cowl hood should be functional with the cowl..that's the whole point! If the rear is open (and I don't know on the contour cowl hoods if it is or not) then you don't need the 'bird bath'...plus the 'bird bath' takes away from the hood itself.

I have to agree with Scotty to the MF'ing D about the trunk...the wing just does not flow with the lines of the car. If you have Kaotic or whatever body kit, then maybe it would work, but with the stock lines...no. don't try to make a new car with smooth lines into an old school boxy type car..ain't gonna work.
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Did you ever think about cutting the birdbath and making the hood functional!? That is what a few MI guys did.

Posted By: parkedcar Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 07:47 PM
Originally posted by scottd60:
"if it's anything like the CF1 cowl hood it will be awesome". Well, apparently you don't have one or haven't looked at one very closely I do have one and in general I like it (from a distance and in pic's) but if I had to buy it over again I probably wouldn't. The fit is poor and the finish and overall quality is average at best. I would consider my hood a "BLEM" but it was not sold to me that way�I paid full price.

I feel the same way about the quality of my hood. I saw their ebay auction for "grade b" hoods. Mine has all the same defects but was told this is all normal. I recieved $100 back for a bad latch but still have the bubbles, and skewing.
But at the same time no one else is making a hood like that.
Posted By: Pope Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 07:48 PM
As I stated before when they were 1st talking about this...make a stock OEM trunk lid, probably a pre-98. This would more than likely satisfy just about everyone, if you want to add a Lip, wing, etc. you would have that option to pick something that is of your own particular taste and choice. If CF1 was smart about this they could create a couple of carbon fiber spoilers/wings to sell as well that fit an OEM CF trunk lid. I think they really screwed up here. As for all you guys coming out and saying "if it's anything like the CF1 cowl hood it will be awesome". Well, apparently you don't have one or haven't looked at one very closely I do have one and in general I like it (from a distance and in pic's) but if I had to buy it over again I probably wouldn't. The fit is poor and the finish and overall quality is average at best. I would consider my hood a "BLEM" but it was not sold to me that way�I paid full price. This CF1 Trunk Lid w/Old School Spoiler is just like the mistake they made on the Cowl hood's useless little scoop/bird bath they put in the center of the hood. If they had asked CEG up front they would have found out that ~90% would NOT have wanted the scoop. The current pole in this thread is clearly showing the same about the CF1 trunk lid as well. With such a small market this clearly was not a smart move on their part. Lets face it this car is a dying bread and in general not very desirable to the majority of the general public or even car enthusiast. IMHO if not for the SVT or Mondeo this car wouldn't get any real interest whatsoever for modding other then a few poor high school kids with Grandmom's free Contour. As we all well know...kid's will try and mod just about anything. Body parts in general for the most part have been developed for the non-SVT guys since they are easily found and typically much cheaper. This gives them a chance to convert to the SVT look or some other custom version, you don't find too many SVT guys changing the body all that much.

All in all I'm glad CF1 is willing to make parts for our cars but if they want to do well they need to get online here and get real opinions before they build things that pretty much only we here on CEG will buy for the most part.

A pre-98 with wing/spoiler options would be awsome. A CF pre-98 with no wing/spoiler options would be great too.
A FWD Nascar Contour, not so awsome.

the only thing keeping me from spending the money on one of them hoods is the bird bath. I love cowl, but it's ruined by that heat extractor, and forget about having it smoothed over, that ruins the CF finish. Yeah you can open it up and make it functional, but I'd rather have the back of the cowl open and let it function as a vent that way.
Just my $0.02
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 07:59 PM

Nope...wrong location unless you like water puddling up all around you LIM and injectors, not me. It should have been forward more like between the radiator support and the IMRC cover to let exhaust heat escape. Plus any water would just run down between the motor and radiator and not in the top of the motor. Now it just fills up with water and looks stupid...but hey the birds seem to like it

Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Thats just it...a cowl hood should be functional with the cowl..that's the whole point! If the rear is open (and I don't know on the contour cowl hoods if it is or not) then you don't need the 'bird bath'...plus the 'bird bath' takes away from the hood itself.

I have to agree with Scotty to the MF'ing D about the trunk...the wing just does not flow with the lines of the car. If you have Kaotic or whatever body kit, then maybe it would work, but with the stock lines...no. don't try to make a new car with smooth lines into an old school boxy type car..ain't gonna work.

The Cowl is open and works great at getting the hot air out. Still not what a cowl hood is supposed to do though...you know suck cool fresh air in at the low pressure area at the base of the windsheild/cowl area and channel it to a big fat air cleaner

Oh yeah...it makes my intake sound real cool too
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 08:00 PM
The back of the cowl is functional, the "bird bath" is just fer decoration.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 08:09 PM
"if it's anything like the CF1 cowl hood it will be awesome". Well, apparently you don't have one or haven't looked at one very closely I do have one and in general I like it (from a distance and in pic's) but if I had to buy it over again I probably wouldn't. The fit is poor and the finish and overall quality is average at best. I would consider my hood a "BLEM" but it was not sold to me that way�I paid full price.

I feel the same way about the quality of my hood. I saw their ebay auction for "grade b" hoods. Mine has all the same defects but was told this is all normal. I recieved $100 back for a bad latch but still have the bubbles, and skewing.

My cowl hood has a crooked latch, bubbles, blemish the size of a big finger print in the clear, strange lines, skewed CF, unfinished edges and is under size by about 1" both front to back and side to side as well. I did not get anything back and also was told all of this was normal

Plus my car it the one in their pictures on both eBay and on their site selling these hoods
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 08:37 PM
now that i see it's from the same company that made the bird bath hoods i think their excuses for the poor craftsmenship/quality is poor at best. as ive stated before, ive had a cf hood before and it was flawless and i paid $400 for it. i have seen many other people's cf hoods and trunk lids and have not seen issues like these. for the amount of money these parts cost they should practically put themselves on, let alone fit right. i was thinking of getting a hood and trunk lid. that's almost a grand but now i think ill just stick with my perfect fitting stock parts thanks. BUT, i'll hold my final judgement for when a few guinea pigs have them on their cars.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 08:52 PM

I should get my $100 back too!!!
Seems like everything i was saying a month ago about problems with the hood that i was being bashed for is being backed up right now..
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 09:35 PM
Guys this not a GB about hoods. In respect to Dion, and in general hood comments are cluttering up this thread. Lets stay on topic. But to end the debate, the cowl hood was my idea all the way to the bird bath, if you don't like it I'm sorry, but it was designed to remove hot air from under the hood, and thats exactly what it does, very well I might add(kind of for the FI guys is what I had in mind). The bird bath is ment to be a customer option to cut it out or not, just like washer nozzels. Its very easy, and the benifits are there. Besides the water issue is minor at best. If you had an issue with a hood, you should have brought that up with the manufacture or who ever you purchased it from at the time. Now is not that time. Not trying to be rude, but thats just the way it works with everything. Scott I know that if the frame underneath was open you would have liked it better, well frankly me to . Sorry guys. You could always wait for a hood from Japan , which seem to be having some issues as well.

So please try to stay on topic or take it to pms.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 09:40 PM
OK, it looks better one colour. If you look at the relationship between the high points, it's not that tall after all. It may just look good BUT how about throwing that trunk onto a contour for a second and snapping a coupla photos from a few angles to see how it actually looks on the car????

Also how about a bit of a price break it costs more than the hood!
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
OK, it looks better one colour. If you look at the relationship between the high points, it's not that tall after all. It may just look good BUT how about throwing that trunk onto a contour for a second and snapping a coupla photos from a few angles to see how it actually looks on the car????

Thats the plan I beleive, Dion is a busy guy. So I imagine he will be down there ASAP.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 09:44 PM

To make a trunk is much more complicated, afterall it has a 90 degree bend and curves. A hood is bascily flat, so a price break would be out of the question.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 09:47 PM
Eh, it was worth a try!

Lookin' forward to those extra pics!
Posted By: ContourGuy9817 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 09:58 PM
where did they get that design idea from, a 79 trans am?
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/10/05 10:19 PM
Originally posted by ContourGuy9817:
where did they get that design idea from, a 79 trans am?

'67-'69 Camaro/Firbird and '70-'73 Camaro/Firbird

Don't get me wrong I love the old Camaro/Firebirds...

my old car ('68 Firbird w/rear spoiler) pic taken in 1979 so yes...my car was the S#!t back then

but not sure about pretty much the same spoiler on a 2000 Contour?

Sorry guys...couldn't resist
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 12:11 AM

Thats the plan I beleive, Dion is a busy guy. So I imagine he will be down there ASAP.

It's not that tall in person, but it's definetly a step or ten above my old M5 lip spoiler.

The side profile picture is the one that has the bad view, as you cannot see any of the curve/tapering of the top edge. If you look at the rear view or 3/4 view, the tapered edges are more pronounced and don't appear as NASCAR-like.

I talked with a couple of the guys at CF1 today, and this will be going to the mold process early next week. I don't have time to go down there to put the trunk on the car for photos, so sorry about that. I can tell you that even though it's not to everyone's liking, nothing ever will be. Somebody will always disagree. If you can open up and use a little imagination, you will see it will look better than expected. I know I will have to run my Mirko almost full-time to help balance the look, but I think it will be worth it.

I don't want to discuss business practice and how things "should be done," mainly because I don't own this business and wouldn't want to. Anyone can come on here and say they would do this or that, but have they? CF1 has come on here and produced two hoods and now a trunk lid. There are two other companies that produce hoods, and one, two years later, is still having issues and has only gotten a few out there, and we have yet to see another hood installed on a car. Brett is the one to thank for his efforts, as he's the one that found this company out here when he's in Michigan. I'm only involved because I did test fits for CF1 when the latches had gone off, and because I'm closer to the office/shop than Brett is. Again, I'm not discussing business practice, just some facts about other businesses.

I'm happy for the Contour group because there are still companies that will cater to the smaller crowd like us.
Posted By: m!key Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 12:24 AM

I'm happy for the Contour group because there are still companies that will cater to the smaller crowd like us.

very well put.
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 12:37 AM
I know you guys don't like it, but come on, comparing it to that of a 67-69 Camaro is a little harsh. It's shaped closer to the M3 CSL but more upright.

And for the record, I have a 1969 Camaro SS/RS 350.

Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 12:37 AM
my cf hood from zxtuner is great, cf looks good, fitment is excellent, clear coat is perfet,too bad theres a small crack in the clear coat now....stupid mechanics....love the trunk lid and i cant wait to get one, leaning towards carbon now, and to paint the car black again
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 01:03 AM
Damn that BMW is sexy . Can't say the same for the CF1 spoiler.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 01:45 AM
since we have time to kill, can any of our forensic photoshop specialists slap this puppy on a gray tour, both rear and side view?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 02:16 AM
Originally posted by tour96se:
my cf hood from zxtuner is great, cf looks good, fitment is excellent, clear coat is perfet,too bad theres a small crack in the clear coat now....stupid mechanics....love the trunk lid and i cant wait to get one, leaning towards carbon now, and to paint the car black again

You got lucky with fitment. Mine isn't bad but had to move the fenders in and the hood latch up. It's still not perfect but definitely good considering our small aftermarket. Clear coat and carbon fiber is good. I wish it had a CF frame instead of the fiberglass tho.
Posted By: path914 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 02:22 AM
The difference is that the BMW CSL wing blends in with the lines of the car. The one shown looks much more like the old muscle car wings and like the one they make for Porsche 914's.

I will be the first one to admit my error if it looks better once completed. Honestly though, producing an item for a very limited group without any input from that group seems like a faulty business practice to me. Oh well, enough of my .02, good luck to them, I hope I will be proven wrong.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 03:02 AM
From the BMW pic it is now looking like the Cavlier Z24 spoiler.

Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 03:10 AM
oh jesus... i did like it....no you've gone and screwed it up for me hideous
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 03:20 AM
ok, if the spoiler had a thinner side profile like the BMW i think it would look better. maybe something easy enough for CF1 to consider. break out the sander!
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 03:32 AM
I dont care what everyone says i like,

Once on the car it will look PIMP...

Nice work dion and getting yet another part for us.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 03:44 AM
yeah i was playin...i like it alot...wish i didnt get rid of that splitter now.......hey kingpin i want my splitter back!!!!!!!!!!
Well I like it alot, so just so long as the quality is good, I'll need one!
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 04:09 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
ok, if the spoiler had a thinner side profile like the BMW i think it would look better. maybe something easy enough for CF1 to consider. break out the sander!

BREAK OUT THE SANDER!!!!!!!the bmw spoiler is much smaller...make one like that and i will buy it.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 04:18 PM
Originally posted by svtProdigy:
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:

BREAK OUT THE SANDER!!!!!!!the bmw spoiler is much smaller...make one like that and i will buy it.

Holy Sh!t.. I never thought I'd see the day that I'm quoting AND agreeing with svtprodigy!!

I think that spoiler would look hot if it were thinner, and had a little more tilt to the back, as opposed to straight up?

Mark
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 05:10 PM
I know you guys don't like it, but come on, comparing it to that of a 67-69 Camaro is a little harsh. It's shaped closer to the M3 CSL but more upright.

Dion,

I too had a '68 Firebird with the same spoiler as the Camaro probably before you were born (by the way nice car ). It is very close to the style of the Camaro rear spoiler in general. The only resemblance to the BMW M3 is looking at it from straight behind the car. The side view is not even close, CF1 spoiler is almost straight up like the '67-'69 Camaro where as the M3 spoiler is thinner and is much more angled back and with very little height above the actual trunk deck. Had CF1 duplicated this they may have had something but as it appears in the pic's they did not.

Posted By: ContourSVT98 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 05:27 PM
I looks nice but why only the top trunk? No one would noticed the trunk is CF from the top view! The spoiler? ehhh not my type. Too upward. I would prefer a little more down tilted like 45 degrees. Post photos of this once its all done dion. Perhaps at that time itll change my mind.

-dan
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 06:10 PM
Originally posted by ContourSVT98:
I looks nice but why only the top trunk? No one would noticed the trunk is CF from the top view! The spoiler? ehhh not my type. Too upward. I would prefer a little more down tilted like 45 degrees. Post photos of this once its all done dion. Perhaps at that time itll change my mind.

-dan

Dan, the whole trunk lid is going to be CF, not just the top.. And again, if the spoiler was at about a 45 degree angle, it'd sell like mad(or well, mad for CEG!!).

Mark
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 06:45 PM

Dion,

I too had a '68 Firebird with the same spoiler as the Camaro probably before you were born (by the way nice car ). It is very close to the style of the Camaro rear spoiler in general. The only resemblance to the BMW M3 is looking at it from straight behind the car. The side view is not even close, CF1 spoiler is almost straight up like the '67-'69 Camaro where as the M3 spoiler is thinner and is much more angled back and with very little height above the actual trunk deck. Had CF1 duplicated this they may have had something but as it appears in the pic's they did not.

Dude, if the finished spoiler comes out looking anything like that bimmer... I'll take one and a pack of wet naps
Posted By: Stazi Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 07:00 PM
They should also fill in the spot to remove the entire rear reflector. I don't want it, and transferring over my painted silver one onto a CF trunk will look totally gay!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 07:23 PM
No input from CEG?! G' luck selling that thing. Looks like arse.
Posted By: muntus Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 08:15 PM
This thing is going to be sick(in a good way). Everyone's got their own tastes, but it does look like a lot of thought went into the design and angle.
Posted By: JB1 Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 03/11/05 08:22 PM
Originally posted by my csvt:

sitting on the table i like it but i am anxious to see it on a tour
Posted By: Pre98 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 08:50 PM
Plain and Simple I think it would look good. I'd never pay $500 to replace my OEM trunklid for something that looks exactly the same anyways.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Pre98:
Plain and Simple I think it would look good. I'd never pay $500 to replace my OEM trunklid for something that looks exactly the same anyways.

Uuu it's mostly about weight savings.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 09:41 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Well i guess to some and not to others...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 10:10 PM

If I was that concerned about weight savings, I'd take the trunk lid off.. But since that'd look even more dumb than what most are making this trunklid out to be, I'll pass on that.. As for the lid, I really want to see the finished product before making up my mind, but I think it will actually look a lot better than made out to be.. I think the spoiler looks big because it's only in comparison the the trunk lid itself.. Once we see that spoiler on 3000lbs of metal, it might look toned down a little.. Give it a rest with all the hating, CF1 has gone out of their way for us, whether we agree with their business style or not..

Mark
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/11/05 10:12 PM
Passed a CLK 500 on the way to lunch and I spotted to spoiler.

Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/12/05 02:37 AM
i cant wait........hopefully they can have this on my doorstep before spring zing...
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/12/05 06:07 AM
They should also fill in the spot to remove the entire rear reflector. I don't want it, and transferring over my painted silver one onto a CF trunk will look totally gay!

Stazi, mine is unpainted and mannn... I'd i have been wanting to paint mine but dont want to go through the trouble. Keep that in mind
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/13/05 02:30 AM
Scott60, Dion will probably not appreciate the before you were born comment, as he is most likely closer to your age than you think....I agree it looks like a Camaro wing from the pic supplied, bu that's what happens when you post one or two "prototype" pics and especially when it's not on the car itself. I'm just going to wait and see how this ends up before I actually think any more about it...

One last thing, what was CF1 thinking when they went to an extreme like that without looking to their largest consumer base before doing it? A little risky if you ask me. And it's shown to be so far.

Here is my WORST..... PHOTO..... CHOP..... EVER!!!
If someone else wants to tackle this using a "fancy" program other than one that came with their canon printer give it a shot. Just glancing at it.. I think the finished product will look killer.

Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/13/05 05:29 PM
Scott60, Dion will probably not appreciate the before you were born comment, as he is most likely closer to your age than you think....I agree it looks like a Camaro wing from the pic supplied, bu that's what happens when you post one or two "prototype" pics and especially when it's not on the car itself. I'm just going to wait and see how this ends up before I actually think any more about it...

One last thing, what was CF1 thinking when they went to an extreme like that without looking to their largest consumer base before doing it? A little risky if you ask me. And it's shown to be so far.

Yes, Scott, I'm actually 35, my parents are the original owners of the Camaro. They purchased in back in Dec. 1968, right before they got married.

As for CF1, I seriously doubt that the Contour owners are their largest consumer base. They cater to a lot of different makes and models. But I do consider us the luckiest group as they make two hoods and one trunk, as well as the sail panels. They may not be to everyone's liking, but they produce parts for us.
Posted By: carraudio Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/13/05 05:58 PM
I myself would love to have is a pre98 hood with the EVO like scoop on it...

And a pre98 trunk lid with a lips spolier on it. I don't think us pre98 guys will be that lucky. I will just stick with the stuff I have got.

Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/13/05 08:41 PM
Quote:

As for CF1, I seriously doubt that the Contour owners are their largest consumer base. They cater to a lot of different makes and models. But I do consider us the luckiest group as they make two hoods and one trunk, as well as the sail panels. They may not be to everyone's liking, but they produce parts for us.

What I meant by their largest consumer base, I should have specified more, is for Contour products. I know they make products for other makes/models, I was just saying that hopefully they can get enough of us to purchase an "extreme" product to cover their costs incurred on the project. Or hopefully they're doing well enough to take on a risky project like so and are prepared to take the hit.

Oh, and the weight savings comment is a joke hopefully...for a 3000 lb street car, removing 10 lbs from the rear is as easy as taking out a back seat or even the spare. Carbon Fiber is about the bling to 90% of the people who buy it. Carbon Fiber is to tuner guys what diamonds are to women.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/13/05 09:35 PM
Quote:

Carbon Fiber is about the bling to 90% of the people who buy it. Carbon Fiber is to tuner guys what diamonds are to women.

you are 100% correct
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/13/05 10:22 PM
Scott60, Dion will probably not appreciate the before you were born comment, as he is most likely closer to your age than you think

Yes, Scott, I'm actually 35, my parents are the original owners of the Camaro. They purchased in back in Dec. 1968, right before they got married.

Ok...so you were 7 when I was driving my '68 Firebird Didn't mean anything about it anyway just messin with you a little. My parents purchased the '68 in 1969 and I purchaesd it from them in 1977 while high school. I had it all the way up til about 12 years ago before I sold it

As for CF1 trunk lid...we will see how the final product looks. I just think they made a BIG mistake by not getting lots of opinions 1st. An OEM tunk with a couple of bolt-on CF spoilers would have gone over big here at CEG where 90% of their Contour products will be sold. That would have given us at least 3 options (no spoiler, lip, stock, aftermarket, etc.) for Contour's and Mystique's. Plus they all wouldn't look the same. They would sell way more where as now they may sell 10 or 12 if they are lucky. I would n't be suprised if they only sell 4-6. We shall see...plus with the fitment issues they had with the cowl hood this should be interesting since the trunk lid is much more difficult to ake then the hood.

I still thank them for doing this stuff either way I just wish they would have researched some more.

Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/14/05 05:22 AM
No harm, no foul, no offense taken....

As for CF1, it's their baby. I think it would be very difficult to own a business and have 500-1000 people asking for this, asking for that....you have to remember, this is their business, it's surprising that they even wanted to build a trunk lid in the first place. You already know that you will never please every single customer/person. I know that this lip spoiler is not everyones favorite, but there are some that have come on and said they like it. You also have to factor in the fact that a lot of the CEG say they'll buy something, and then when it's produced, nobody buys, for whatever reasons that they have... so for CF1 to take a chance on a design of their own, they must be seeing something larger than what the majority of the people that have posted on this thread are seeing.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/14/05 06:09 AM
Im intrested to see how this turns out.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/14/05 07:51 AM
I think they did some work on this GTO

Posted By: svt4stv Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/14/05 08:00 AM
dont be talkin about the Count's ride!

Posted By: ryanblacksvt Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/14/05 05:42 PM
yeah unless that wing is gone i wont even think about buying it,,,,its horrible imo....
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/14/05 06:13 PM

If I was that concerned about weight savings, I'd take the trunk lid off..

What?! So your going to tool around w/o a trunk lid. I know I'd rather keep my car street worthy and looking good on top of weight savings.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/14/05 06:28 PM

If I was that concerned about weight savings, I'd take the trunk lid off..

What?! So your going to tool around w/o a trunk lid. I know I'd rather keep my car street worthy and looking good on top of weight savings.

LOL!! Sorry, I forgot to mention my car is a fair weather only vehicle.. Was meant to be more humerous anyways, as there are other methods of weight savings than CF.. If Im getting the trunklid, it'll be mostly for looks..

Mark
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/15/05 02:01 AM

As for CF1, it's their baby. I think it would be very difficult to own a business and have 500-1000 people asking for this, asking for that....you have to remember, this is their business, it's surprising that they even wanted to build a trunk lid in the first place. You already know that you will never please every single customer/person. I know that this lip spoiler is not everyones favorite, but there are some that have come on and said they like it. You also have to factor in the fact that a lot of the CEG say they'll buy something, and then when it's produced, nobody buys, for whatever reasons that they have... so for CF1 to take a chance on a design of their own, they must be seeing something larger than what the majority of the people that have posted on this thread are seeing.

That's what I'm saying....it's a big risk to design and create something this extreme without knowing what their market wants....These aren't the days of Henry Ford anymore, it is a consumer oriented market....I'm with Scott in saying that I only see a few of these really selling. But we'll see. No disrespect in any way shape or form, just looking at things from a financial/business standpoint.
Posted By: Harrry Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/15/05 05:42 AM

That's what I'm saying....it's a big risk to design and create something this extreme without knowing what their market wants....These aren't the days of Henry Ford anymore, it is a consumer oriented market....I'm with Scott in saying that I only see a few of these really selling. But we'll see. No disrespect in any way shape or form, just looking at things from a financial/business standpoint.

I totally agree u with.
The idea of CF is good, but the wing is the down side.
Now if they had the trunk of the pre 98's with the small lip on the truck then i would be seriously down for that!!
Posted By: muntus Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/15/05 06:32 AM
I think its safe to say that no one design would appease the masses. Pre98/post98, with spoiler/without, ugly/pretty, there's always going to be people that hate stuff and people that love stuff. I, for one, think that the nascar wing kicks butt, but I can totally see how it might turn a lot of people off. Differn't Strokes.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/15/05 07:01 AM
maybe they'll make all sortsa typesa trunksa

we have three different hoods, why not three different trunks?
Posted By: Harrry Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/15/05 07:22 AM
Originally posted by muntus:
I think its safe to say that no one design would appease the masses. Pre98/post98, with spoiler/without, ugly/pretty, there's always going to be people that hate stuff and people that love stuff. I, for one, think that the nascar wing kicks butt, but I can totally see how it might turn a lot of people off. Differn't Strokes.

Just like your pointing out of what you like, i like the pre98 trunks with the small lip!!
Posted By: EuroTour Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/15/05 07:54 AM
Originally posted by muntus:
I think its safe to say that no one design would appease the masses. Pre98/post98, with spoiler/without, ugly/pretty, there's always going to be people that hate stuff and people that love stuff.

I think maybe they should have picked the design that would appease the masses then. They should have done some more research, especially with the largest demographic of Contour owners, the CEG. Sure you'll never please everybody but if I were making a product i would at least want to please the majority, which is pretty evident in this thread that that is not the case.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/15/05 01:28 PM
........i absolutley hate nascar with a passion,and if i decided not to get it,it would be b/c of the nascar wing.......who am i kidding i'm still gonna get one
Posted By: Speed Demon_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/22/05 01:21 AM
i'm gonna go with my cowl hood reservations, i'll wait to see the production piece but so far... eh.......
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/22/05 08:03 PM
well that interest sank like a rock.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/22/05 08:11 PM
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:

Ummmm, aren't we still waiting on a finished product? Kind of hard to get interest on a hunk of bondo on a trunk lid.

Mark
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/23/05 12:38 AM

Ummmm, aren't we still waiting on a finished product? Kind of hard to get interest on a hunk of bondo on a trunk lid.

Mark

Yes, we're waiting. The trunk will be made, regardless of interest (or lack thereof). Carbon Fiber One should have an example to show sometime late next week, if all goes according to plan.
Posted By: Speed Demon_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/24/05 06:01 AM
imo it shoulda been an add your own wing kinda deal, just an oem replica.

but, all is not lost, and i'll reserve my official opinion until i see one on a car
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/24/05 06:45 AM

Mark

you sure are but with those initial pics a lotta people seemed disappointed.

But maybe in the end they will do some tweaking and the final version will be great.

Being on CEG for a while I can say that a pre98 trunk lid w/ lip spoiler is probably the most sought after trunk and I think they would've hit jackpot with a replica of that.

Just my thoughts, carry on.
Posted By: Aspire Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/27/05 06:55 AM
Still excited to see those final product pics!
Posted By: Harrry Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/27/05 07:58 PM
Actually so am i. I wonder what it will look like on the car!!
Posted By: muntus Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 03/28/05 02:59 AM
Still waiting for pics...
ttt
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/08/05 12:38 AM

Yes, we're waiting. The trunk will be made, regardless of interest (or lack thereof). Carbon Fiber One should have an example to show sometime late next week, if all goes according to plan.

two weeks later.....the plot thickens.....(or is thins?)
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/08/05 12:40 AM
Its coming soon, very!
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/11/05 12:53 AM
would it be impossble to get a pic of where the hood is at now? I'm sure they've done somthing since the first pics. Or even a pic of the bondo prototype on a car. I'm really anxious.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/11/05 12:55 AM
Originally posted by SILFROSvT98:
would it be impossble to get a pic of where the hood is at now?

it's a trunk lid not a hood
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/11/05 01:42 AM
I looked it up on carbonfiberone.com and they have a typo for the price, the price they have up is $9999.99, 10 grand for a trunklid, i'll pass, but even a grand, i'll pass, luckily we got the dibs on the GB, but i'm not a big fan of the look so i'm passing regardless.

~Alex
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/11/05 05:04 AM
Originally posted by SILFROSvT98:
would it be impossble to get a pic of where the hood is at now? I'm sure they've done somthing since the first pics. Or even a pic of the bondo prototype on a car. I'm really anxious.

Not impossible. If you made a deposit that is . Assuming you mean trunk. Theres no need for anything but a final pic, you can already get a good idea of what it looks like now. After the response it has so far, anything but the final pic would be foolish. Which like I said is coming soon. As I posted months ago, Late March early April for completed pics, so looks like its still on time.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/11/05 06:07 PM
are you saying you can get a photo
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/12/05 01:27 AM
Late March early April for completed pics, so looks like its still on time.

looks a little behind scheudule to me....check the date.
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/12/05 02:41 AM
Well, I was hoping for the end of last week for the prototype, but no go. It may be as late as the end of April, beginning of May.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/12/05 11:23 PM
Well, I was hoping for the end of last week for the prototype, but no go. It may be as late as the end of April, beginning of May.

.......damn i'm izout then...
Posted By: johnnyblazed7697 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/13/05 10:23 PM
im down for one just as long as it comes before nopi.
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/14/05 04:27 AM
Originally posted by johnnyblazed7697:
im down for one just as long as it comes before nopi.

Hopefully in the next week or two, the prototype will be ready.
Posted By: johnnyblazed7697 Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/15/05 09:09 PM
is there gonna be extras made or do u need to know to make one for me.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/17/05 07:07 AM
i..uh..dont think there will be a shortage.
Posted By: dion_dup1 More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 05:58 AM
This is the prototype, CF1 did minor test fitting today, and it seems that they're pretty close to starting production in the next week or two.

Inside the car to show that it doesn't obstruct the veiw out back.

Posted By: Pole120 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 06:03 AM
it looks nice, but not great. IMO i say take another 2" off the top and form it to flow into the fenders a bit more smothly. not bad tho.

chop my changes anyone?

Posted By: muntus Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 06:12 AM
That thing's a friggin' Mickle-Angelo!
Posted By: vudusvt_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 06:14 AM
It does look nicer than I thought it would, but pole is exactly right- 2" shorter and better "fender flow" and I'd run down the street & around the corner to buy one. Yeah, they really are that close to me.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 06:27 AM
it looks nice, but not great. IMO i say take another 2" off the top and form it to flow into the fenders a bit more smothly. not bad tho.

chop my changes anyone?

OK, ill be the first to admit I was *partially* wrong. looks better than I thought, however, its still too big IMHO. anyway, in the above pic it doesnt look like the curve on the right matches the one on the left. the right side looks like it has more or a longer curve to it. maybe its just the picture. i guess it could be that the trunk isnt mounted straight.

i personally would have liked a trunk with no spoiler or the pre98 lip one. . . . .

not cracking on CF1. im glad they want to make stuff for us. i hope this is well received for them b/c i would hate to lose another manufacturer for us. looks like they are on to something, but not quite there.
Posted By: Aspire Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 06:56 AM
Looks better than I expected, maybe I just want one too bad

Still would show off the CF alot more without the rear reflector though

Thanks for all your effort Dion.
Posted By: Pope Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 07:18 AM
I'll jump in on the "not-as-bad-as-I-thought" band wagon, I mean it definately looks better than the original mock-up, but still isn't styled in a way that would convince me to spend the money.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 08:37 AM
it is not so bad.. I take one for $500 shipped (final offer). Gives the "rear" a more aggressive look. Thats all anyones going to be seeing of my car anyways so its all gravy...
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 11:31 AM
ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!!! Guys, listen, you are all wanting two inches shorter.. 2" shorter; go by a pre98 trunklid with a lip spoiler. Dion, that looks great, MUCH better than the original pics. Take care of the fitment, and you've got yourself a fine product.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 12:15 PM
Yeah that does look REALLY good. Too bad i dont have the extra cash for one. I can't wait to see these things on CEG'ers cars!
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 12:16 PM
Originally posted by LilStripedRocket:
ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!!! Guys, listen, you are all wanting two inches shorter.. 2" shorter; go by a pre98 trunklid with a lip spoiler. Dion, that looks great, MUCH better than the original pics. Take care of the fitment, and you've got yourself a fine product.

they said 2"'s shorter, not 4".....
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 01:05 PM
I wasnt sure about it until I photoshopped it to match. Now I know I like it.
I like it alot! *Must start saving*
Posted By: Stazi Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 02:55 PM
I like it, but the rear reflector SUCKS!!!!!! Damn, I wish they had ommitted it and just kept it as CF. It ruins the look of it.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 02:58 PM
I like it, but the rear reflector SUCKS!!!!!! Damn, I wish they had ommitted it and just kept it as CF. It ruins the look of it.

I couldn't agree more. I was a wee disapointed to see the stock reflector back on it... thoguht there was going to be some modding done in that area, too. Oh well, nonetheless... still looks VERy nice.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 03:05 PM
I think the reflector actually goes well. Maybe its just on that T red though
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 03:37 PM
I remembered they wanted to keep the rear reflecor on it so that mystiques could use it too, but the reflector sucks. The only important functions on the trunk are holding the plate up and the reverse lights. They could have done something different that still had reverse lights and a plate holder and we would all be happy. Chop two inches off and I might buy it if I had extra money lying around. Even just a stock trunk made of CF would have been better. Do they have any plans to make any different styles?
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 04:10 PM
Dion the car looks good . I think the trunk looks good.

Aaron
Posted By: ryanblacksvt Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 04:52 PM
yes i am 100% definitly on the looks a ton better than i thought banwagon......whats the price gonna be and when will they be avalible...i want one.....
Posted By: Aspire Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 05:24 PM
Tinted Mystique rear reflector here I come, that should minimize the damage of still having the reflector.
Posted By: ryanblacksvt Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 05:37 PM
yeah mine is already painted black both the reflector and crome strip so it will match up nicely when i get one of these hott trunk lids
Posted By: parkedcar Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 05:44 PM
Still dont like it. Just doesnt flow with the car from any angle

It also looks like it doesnt really fit tight on the right side. The reflectore doesnt line up with the right tail light.
Thanks for the effort though. I am glad to see every one else likes it. So it should not be a flop.
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 08:43 PM
A quick chop, taking some off the top and flowing a little more with the fenders.

Before

After
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 08:59 PM
I definatley like the second one, the photoshop with sometaken off. It fits the car much better imo!
Posted By: ryanblacksvt Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/20/05 09:26 PM
hell yeah the 2nd one, i'd hit it, i will 100% get one if its like that but if its the other way i am only about 90% gonna get one.
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 12:02 AM
Hmmm im not digging it. sorry.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 12:09 AM
Ok I guess I'm the third to say it, it's fugly. Especially with the reflector and chrome strip. Nothin wrong with your car Dion, you know that, just don't like the CF hood at all. I think it would make the car look worse, almost ricey.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 01:43 AM
If it wasn't so damn steep & went over the rear quarters it would look so sweet. Keeping the rear reflector keeps pre98's from buying. Oh well not to many pre98's put $ into their cars anyway.
Posted By: Harrry Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 05:05 AM
ok i ntoiced while i was looking at my girls car tongiht. Her wing looks jsut like. She has a 2004 chev cavalier. Her spoiler looks jus tlike that one. Identical. That is where they mus tof gotten th eidea. Next time you guys see a cavalier with a spoiler look at the rear, but ignore the taillight in he back part, but fro mthe side it looks identical and in back. Cause they have the reflector going across the back also!! 2003 has a trunk like the pr98's so look at a 2004.
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Mkingracing:
ok i ntoiced while i was looking at my girls car tongiht. Her wing looks jsut like. She has a 2004 chev cavalier. Her spoiler looks jus tlike that one. Identical. That is where they mus tof gotten th eidea. Next time you guys see a cavalier with a spoiler look at the rear, but ignore the taillight in he back part, but fro mthe side it looks identical and in back. Cause they have the reflector going across the back also!! 2003 has a trunk like the pr98's so look at a 2004.

yup your exactly right....nuthing like a chevy trunk slapped on a ford

on the other hand...as if it wasnt said 1,000,000 times already... I always see a newer Silver BMW (i believe it is an M3, the owner works right by where I live) and it has this style of trunk however it flows so much better, isn't as high and I believe it leans slightly back. Anyway it looks unbelievable. I every day when i see it. If CF1 made a replica of that for our also EURO styled car, they would have had a hit.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 09:18 AM

I like it. But it is only close to the CSL. That spoiler actually forms to the body curves. In an attempt to get that big wing, they didn't take into account the contour (or lack there of perhaps)

Altho, looking at this angle, it looks like they just wanted it to go up and not pertain to the contour (hey it's a lot better than deadweight aluminum APC wings right?! And say hellow to no more lifting the trunk by the spoiler people)
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 11:14 AM
If it wasn't so damn steep & went over the rear quarters it would look so sweet. Keeping the rear reflector keeps pre98's from buying. Oh well not to many pre98's put $ into their cars anyway.

.....i could name a few pre98's that put$ into their cars
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 11:31 AM

ya, a few. Thats exactly why he said Not Many...
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 12:48 PM
What about the 3rd brake light? Being that high the spoiler must block it.
Posted By: ryanblacksvt Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 01:38 PM
do you really need a 3rd brake light. i unplugged mine and vinyl'd the red reflector over black
This trunk will look fantastic with my new paint scheme!
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 05:59 PM
Originally posted by ryanblacksvt:
do you really need a 3rd brake light. i unplugged mine and vinyl'd the red reflector over black

Uhm...Ya it's the law
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 06:01 PM

Can count on 2 hands. Maybe.
Posted By: ryanblacksvt Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 06:08 PM
Originally posted by SVTCANUK:

must be a law there in canada, we dont have that law here in ga, i even vinyl'd over my spoiler brake light

Uhm...Ya it's the law

Posted By: IonNinja Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 06:35 PM
still ugly to me

doesn't flow anywhere or with anything on the car.

But new contour parts are never a bad thing...
Posted By: path914 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 08:19 PM
I appreciate the effort that has been put in, but it still doesn't match the car at all

MUCH smaller and leaned back more would look great IMHO, but as is, I don't like it at all.

I didn't like the cowl hood either, so obviously my tastes are not the same as some others. I wish CF1 good luck and hope they continue to make parts for our car.
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Cris'pus:

I like it. But it is only close to the CSL. That spoiler actually forms to the body curves. In an attempt to get that big wing, they didn't take into account the contour (or lack there of perhaps)

thats exactly the BMW i was referring to. that molded trunk/wing on the BMW is beautiful. Thats how this trunk should have came out.

Originally posted by Path914:

MUCH smaller and leaned back more would look great IMHO, but as is, I don't like it at all.

Exactly what I stated above. If you can find a pic of the M3 from a side shot you will see it leans back slightly. Also notice how clean the M3 trunk looks w/out a big a$$ reflector going across it (HINT HINT CF1). Like I've said and many others have, a few inches here a few there and it WOULD HAVE been a nice trunk...WOULD HAVE

Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/21/05 11:35 PM

That's pretty stupid, must be nice for the people that drive behind you.

And yes it is a law in the U.S.A., mandatory CHMSL:

This is all the same for cars.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 01:22 AM

Did anybody else notice that the right side of the trunk is higher than the left? Look at the bottom of the reflector and how it lines up with the bottom of the taillight. The left side is fine, but the right is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off. The same said about how the spoiler lines up with the body
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 01:29 AM
Its still a prototype, something like that is hard to get perfect the first time around. The design is what it is. Photoshop all you want, nothing is going to change. Oh the GB info was already posted at the begining of this thread, for who ever was looking for price and order info.

Car is lookin good Dion .
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 02:13 AM
Can anybody help me out, how does CF look on a black car?
Posted By: RyeLou Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 05:20 AM
Originally posted by amarv12:

If they can't see the lights on either side of the damn car they shouldn't be driving. You can't tell me you've never broken a traffic law, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I took out my 3rd brake light about 3 years ago.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 05:48 AM
Originally posted by RyeLou:

If they can't see the lights on either side of the damn car they shouldn't be driving.

But you know as well as I that people like that do, and will continue to drive.

For some people, especially at a distance, they can only see the stop lamps on the sides when they transition from dim to bright....if they're bright when you first see them, you may not be able to tell if it is indeed the stop lamps. This is where the third lamp provides a clear and obvious distinction.

Also think about the number of cars equipped with rear foglamps (and consequently, the number of people that drive around all the time with the rear fogs on)....it's becoming harder to distinguish nowadays when the side lamps are actually lit up in the stop mode...or if they're just bright.

...Seems like majority of the X-Types I see driving around have the rear fogs on....very annoying.

Originally posted by RyeLou:

You can't tell me you've never broken a traffic law, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I took out my 3rd brake light about 3 years ago.

The "breaking a traffic law" analogy isn't really the point. It's not about breaking a law, many actions can "break the law," but it doesn't mean that the magnitude of these actions is the same. You may not have had any problems, but a minuscule number of cars out of the whole population is isn't really justification.
Posted By: JB1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 07:09 AM

Also think about the number of cars equipped with rear foglamps (and consequently, the number of people that drive around all the time with the rear fogs on)....it's becoming harder to distinguish nowadays when the side lamps are actually lit up in the stop mode...or if they're just bright.

at the risk of hijacking this thread and offending someone i'm gonna have to call bs on this statement right here. reason being, i am color blind and i have no problem what so ever determining whether the side lights are just perimeter lights or brake lights when a vehicle has no third brake light and regardless of whether said vehicle has rear foglights or not.
Posted By: ryanblacksvt Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 01:06 PM

ok first off its not illegal, i check with my bro-in-law first before doing anything like that (yeah he is a cop) and as long as your brake lights work no other lights are required, what about cars without 3rd brake lights, do they have to go buy one and wire it up,,,,,NO they dont.
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 01:27 PM
ok first off its not illegal, i check with my bro-in-law first before doing anything like that (yeah he is a cop) and as long as your brake lights work no other lights are required, what about cars without 3rd brake lights, do they have to go buy one and wire it up,,,,,NO they dont.

All vehicles manufactured since God knows when have to have a third brake light. The only vehicles exempt from the law are those manufactured prior to the law being passed. At least that's the way it is in Canada, I thought the USA as well .
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 01:28 PM

AFAIK, any car after 1984 *has* to have a 3rd brake light. I know in NJ the car will automatically fail inspection for a burnt out or missing third brake lamp. So, as far as I am concerned, it is law, for post-84 cars.
Posted By: ryanblacksvt Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 01:59 PM
not in georgia, there isnt even a visual inspection and shoot in the county i am in there isnt any emmisions. which i love, but no it must go state by state cause that law is not in georgia
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 02:15 PM
Shaggy is correct. Center high-mounted lights need to be seen in order to comply with the federally mandated light laws that went into effect in '86. Something I didn't think about till I read this. That trunk has to have a 3rd brake light incorporated. I don't know where your brother is a cop but he needs to read up on the federal law.

As of the 1986 model year, all new cars sold in the United States were required to have an installed rear window brakelight, or "Third Brake Light."
Posted By: ryanblacksvt Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 02:46 PM
well i blacked mine out and he is a cop in a rather large county here in georgia and he checked with his cheif before telling me cause he didnt wanna steer me wrong and they said no you dont have to have one
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 04:25 PM
That trunk would look like hotness on a black SVT!... Like mine for instance.
Posted By: parkedcar Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 04:26 PM
My 1990 jeep wrangler doesn't have a 3rd brake light and never did. Never had an issue with it at inspection.
Posted By: Dj Perico Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 04:55 PM
My car dont have no 3rd brake light. It does have a spoiler with a light on it.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 05:15 PM
My 1990 jeep wrangler doesn't have a 3rd brake light and never did. Never had an issue with it at inspection.

my pop's 89 truck didnt either. i was really into mini-trucks back then and iirc trucks didnt get the brake light law until 92 or 93 (somewhere right around there.). i remeber cuz all my friends with Toyotas were pissed off that they started coming with them and everyone was shaving them. now at least, the manufacturer's integrate them better into the sheet metal instead of just slapping it on the cab.

yes, it is a federal law, just like airbags. i think that was in 92 or 93 also that manufacturers were required to put airbags in the steering wheels. you can get a nice fat ticket if you get caught having removed yours. ive known people to get this when they pulled their airbagged wheel to put in a Momo or Grant etc..

some cars have the 3rd brake light in the wing from the factory. that is how you can tell (on some cars anyways) that it was a factory installed wing and not a dealer job. some manufacturers dont do this though. sometimes you'll see a 3rd brake light AND a wing with a light, aftermarket! anyways, if you remove your wing with brake light in it, youre supposed to add a 3rd brake light. i know in CA, the only coppers likely to catch this are the highway patrol. they know the vehicle code much better than the local fuzz.

btw, the trunk looks meh. too much lip for my tastes.
my friend is having a custom cowl hood made for the 3rd gen sho at a cf shop out here. i dont think its this shop. if not, and they do a good job on his hood, i may talk to him about doing a group buy on a stock cf trunk for us. that way we'll have two options. it appears the pre98 is the most popular but i would do a poll, if and when it gets to that.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 05:44 PM
my car hasn't had a third brake light since i swapped for a spoiler-less lid(6 month), no trouble with the police, and my reflector is painted as well.

pole
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 06:29 PM
I don't think its going to be an issue, sheesh. Now back on topic. So who has ordered?
Posted By: svt4stv Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/22/05 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 98_HO_Contour:
Can anybody help me out, how does CF look on a black car?

it looks the best IMO. it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb but yet its CF. i think it also looks good on Tred but im still on the fence as far as putting it on Silver Frost tours. I dont think it would look too good on a Tropic Green tour, unless it looked really raced out. IMO, the Silver and Green CSVTs look classy and CF throws it off. but of course, if you have a LOT of stuff done to the outside to support the look, then i think it will look ok. just my 2 pesos.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/23/05 08:22 AM

my pop's 89 truck didnt either. i was really into mini-trucks back then and iirc trucks didnt get the brake light law until 92 or 93 (somewhere right around there.). i remeber cuz all my friends with Toyotas were pissed off that they started coming with them and everyone was shaving them. now at least, the manufacturer's integrate them better into the sheet metal instead of just slapping it on the cab.

yes, it is a federal law, just like airbags. i think that was in 92 or 93 also that manufacturers were required to put airbags in the steering wheels. you can get a nice fat ticket if you get caught having removed yours. ive known people to get this when they pulled their airbagged wheel to put in a Momo or Grant etc..

some cars have the 3rd brake light in the wing from the factory. that is how you can tell (on some cars anyways) that it was a factory installed wing and not a dealer job. some manufacturers dont do this though. sometimes you'll see a 3rd brake light AND a wing with a light, aftermarket! anyways, if you remove your wing with brake light in it, youre supposed to add a 3rd brake light. i know in CA, the only coppers likely to catch this are the highway patrol. they know the vehicle code much better than the local fuzz.

btw, the trunk looks meh. too much lip for my tastes.
my friend is having a custom cowl hood made for the 3rd gen sho at a cf shop out here. i dont think its this shop. if not, and they do a good job on his hood, i may talk to him about doing a group buy on a stock cf trunk for us. that way we'll have two options. it appears the pre98 is the most popular but i would do a poll, if and when it gets to that.

Note that all the dates are 9/1/YYYY (or Sep 1st, YYYY)

CHMSL: mandatory 9/1/1985 for cars; 9/1/1993 for light duty trucks (includes vans/suvs/trucks under 10000lb GVWR and 80" wide) IAW FMVSS 108.

Passive Restraints (either automatic seat belts or airbags): phase in 1986 passenger cars, 1994 light duty (8500lbs GVWR or less) trucks. Mandatory for 1989 cars, 1997 light duty trucks IAW FMVSS 208.

Airbags: phase in 9/1/1996 cars, 1997 light duty trucks. Mandatory 1997 cars, 1998 light duty trucks IAW FMVSS 208.

BTW (IIRC): dual airbags, first on 1974-1976 full size GM cars (like the Caddys). Explorer first SUV with standard CHMSL...
Posted By: Ronan_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/23/05 11:54 AM
IF you guys are having trouble with the 3rd brake light, get one for the European mk2 Mondeo, which has the brake light mounted up high in the center of the rear window, just attached to the roof. That way you can keep your spoiler and 3rd brake light.

Oh and if that trunk would fit the mondeo mk1, I would have bought one right away.
Posted By: theTK Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/24/05 12:49 AM
I agree with the majority of the consumers on here in saying that it needs a redesign. As a fabricator myself, I would never buy anything that completely disagrees so much with the factory body lines.

Subtlety and flow are an easily violated rule in visual art. Now you the picture of the M3 is constantly being reposted, but this prototype is a near miss.

What makes the trunk lid on the BMW so visually appealing is that the gradual sloping ducktail gracefully peaks slightly higher than the height of the rest of the trunk. It doesn't look like a 2ft. tall, abrupt launch ramp.

Also, from the rear view, it matches the slope of the rear fenders and taillights. Where as your prototype creates an entirely new arch.

Whoever is producing this is a business trying to design a product for mass appeal. So far the attitude has been, screw the customer, it looks better in person. Why the reluctance to make changes and make the trunk more subtle? There would be MANY more interested buyers, including myself.

Another product added to the aftermarket car industry that looks tacked on as a design after-thought. Bravo.
Originally posted by theTK:

What makes the trunk lid on the BMW so visually appealing is that the gradual sloping ducktail gracefully peaks slightly higher than the height of the rest of the trunk. It doesn't look like a 2ft. tall, abrupt launch ramp.

4 3 2 1 :::::::::::::::> houstin we have a problem.....

I agree with the majority of the consumers on here in saying that it needs a redesign. As a fabricator myself, I would never buy anything that completely disagrees so much with the factory body lines.

Subtlety and flow are an easily violated rule in visual art. Now you the picture of the M3 is constantly being reposted, but this prototype is a near miss.

Also, from the rear view, it matches the slope of the rear fenders and taillights. Where as your prototype creates an entirely new arch.

Whoever is producing this is a business trying to design a product for mass appeal. So far the attitude has been, screw the customer, it looks better in person. Why the reluctance to make changes and make the trunk more subtle? There would be MANY more interested buyers, including myself.

AMEN brotha. couldn't agree w/ you more myself....since I've been saying the same thing all along

Another product added to the aftermarket car industry that looks tacked on as a design after-thought. Bravo.

CF1 will inevitably learn the hardway.
Posted By: Aspire Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/24/05 08:09 PM
I have to say that I am torn on this trunk thing. I would not add a part just because it is available or because it is CF, and I do agree that the tail would be so much more appealing with some of the small changes that have been suggested on this board.

I just can't imagine why CF1 would have this attitude. I spoke with Dion at the FFF show and he indicate that CF1s attitude is, a bunch of people trashed the cowl hood and we sold a bunch of those so screw it. If they only made ONE change to the trunk (the duckbill) the appeal would grow by leaps and bounds.

At the same time this will likey be the only CF trunk ever produced for our cars.

"At the same time this will likey be the only CF trunk ever produced for our cars."

I am going to work on this. If they are going to be stubburn then i will get someone else to do it.
Originally posted by Aspire:
CF1s attitude is, a bunch of people trashed the cowl hood and we sold a bunch of those so screw it. If they only made ONE change to the trunk (the duckbill) the appeal would grow by leaps and bounds.

The company sounds very arrogant. Id be damned if I'd buy their trunk on my dime. The duckbill is not the only problem either. Fitment issues that have been discussed here as well as the rear reflector not lineing up w/ the right tail light etc. The entire process from design to fab has been done half-assed to say the least.

Originally posted by Aspire:
At the same time this will likey be the only CF trunk ever produced for our cars.

Id rather have no CF trunk than some half-assed, ill fitting, terrible design, chevy cavalier hood tacked onto my SVT.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/24/05 09:42 PM
Originally posted by SVTCANUK:

Uhm...Ya it's the law

Isn't in NYS- only need 2 working, just like you only need one working back up light... but think of the 3rd light as backup incase one goes out.

You put it perfectly
Posted By: Swazo Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/24/05 11:16 PM

You put it perfectly

Agreed, I've been feeling the same way.
Originally posted by Swazo:

You put it perfectly

Couldn't have said it better
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/25/05 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Ronan:
IF you guys are having trouble with the 3rd brake light, get one for the European mk2 Mondeo, which has the brake light mounted up high in the center of the rear window, just attached to the roof. That way you can keep your spoiler and 3rd brake light.

Oh and if that trunk would fit the mondeo mk1, I would have bought one right away.

And spend more time & energy when it should be integrated in the trunk already.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: More updated CF1 trunk lid pics - 04/25/05 03:43 PM
i think it would look awesome on the fin too...
Posted By: Stazi Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/25/05 06:06 PM

You put it perfectly

Me three!

I would also suggest they eliminate the stupid center reflector while there at it.

That way it allows pre98's to buy one without haveing to fish for a relfector. Plus the reflector is fugly on top of the height of it.

These guys need to go take some marketing classes!

You put it perfectly

Me three!

I would also suggest they eliminate the stupid center reflector while there at it.

That way it allows pre98's to buy one without haveing to fish for a relfector. Plus the reflector is fugly on top of the height of it.

Well said...if they did as I suggested in the beginning they would be a hit! Make a stock OEM without the reflector and NO spoiler then offer a variety of spoiler options from the mild lip or stock post 97 spoiler to radical wing if they like all in CF. This would satisfy all Contour and Mystique owners no matter what year and everyone wouldn't look the same. Give us an option and some variety to choose our own personal look. This is a major f-up to say the least and could have been easily avoided if they only asked

"These guys need to go take some marketing classes! "

You put it perfectly

Me three!

Okay, well, the pre 98 cars will still have to buy the outer taillights from the later model cars, as the two cars have different taillight set ups. I know, as I have both trunks, and I had to purchase the taillights from the 95 car to make it look uniform. The center reflector stayed (I believe) because it was easier to make that way. From a marketing standpoint, it covers the 95-2000 Mystique as well. To me, the taillights look unfinished and just come to an abrupt stop if you eliminate the center reflector. And then you'll have to come up with a new license plate mount, license plate lights, and reverse lights. Then you'll have a few different people complain about how the trunk looks weird without the center reflector.

I cannot defend the trunklid, as they say "to each, his own." Brian (svtprodigy) has already indicated that he will try to find another carbon fiber shop to make a different trunklid. I'm interested in seeing how that pans out as well. I can say it is lightweight, the weave is clean, and I think it will look good when I put my splitter back on the car. I am going in this Thursday or Friday for the first production trunk to be fitted. I am going to have the guys from CF1 look through this thread again to take a look at the responses.
Dion,

If you decide to pick up your trunklid on Friday, stop by the Starbucks on Pioneer & Artesia, if you have time. I''l be working after 11am & would really like to see your car in-person. Drinks are on me.
My fellow Contour Enthusiasts:

I'm having a very difficult time understanding how much bad press you guys are giving this product even before the release. Dion is the only person to have seen it in person, and while we try to post as many detailed pictures as possible, it does not do it justice to the actual part.

We put a lot of work and thought into this, as we did the first two hoods we made. Do you guys honestly think we slapped this together in our backyard in a few hours? While we appreciate your feedback, please give the product a chance before trashing it completely.

You guys are perfectly aware that this was the first article pulled, and as we are still fine tuning the latch portion of the part, fitment should not be an issue with the final production parts. We will post pictures of the test fit with the production part as soon as it's available.

You're also aware of the lack of support the Contour market has in aftermarket products. We are trying to participate in that and ultimately benefit you by doing so. While we appreciate everyone's input, and as much as we'd like to make the "perfect" part that appeals to everyone, this is an impossible feat. And trying to make a part based on all the member's input would have left us spinning in circles. We know you guys work hard for your money, and our goal is to make a part that is worthwhile to both parties.

If you love the trunk, it will be available in about a week to purchase. If you hate the trunk, that's your opinion and we respect that, but we ask that you show some respect by not bad mouthing the part, and more importantly, the company.

Thank you.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 06:33 PM
CF1 - I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read through these posts. I was anticipating your response, and REALLY hoping you wouldn't come on and start an uproar, so I can appreciate your open mindedness to the criticism. I do agree that people have been jumping to conclusions in thinking that the product won't fit, and that it won't look all that great. I personally think it looks a lot better than was made out to be by the original pictures. With that said, I'd like to also state that it would have been nice to have seen a few very minor adjustments to the spoiler. I understand that this opens up a whole new can of worms, with having to make a new mold(or atleast I would think you'd have to anyway). I would love to see your product take off in the Contour/Mystique world, but I think there would need to be a couple of tweaks in order to please the majority. But like you said, you can't please everyone, and for anyone to say you can doesn't know much about running a business. Hopefully you don't take the negative feedback to heart and close the doors on this community. I know I can appreciate the time/effort you put into the products you've made.

Mark
Mark,
Thanks for your feedback. We do take all things into consideration since if our parts don't sell, it does us no good. With this particular trunk, however, the mold is already completed and the part will be in production soon, which means there will be no further modifications and tweaks.

that being said, here are pictures of test fit Round 2.

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 07:40 PM
Thanks again! The pictures look great! Looks like the fitment issue has been addressed, and everything lines up.

I know this is probably a bad time to be asking, but............

Would you possibly be interested in making a Carbon Fiber reflector piece as an option? I've been thinking about how I'd like it to look on my all black SVT, and think that'd look pretty hot, if the reflector was made in C/F. Or, maybe even a C/F cover of some sort, so people like myself that already have some money into our reflectors, could just put a cover over it? Just an idea

Mark
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 07:41 PM
The new pics look even better , I think I will have to save up for this trunk.

Aaron
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 08:16 PM
I too am wondering what other products you're interested in, i'ld be very interesed in CF covers for the tanks(coolant, power steering, ect.) on the car.

Great job on the trunk, it doesn't quite suit my taste, but i geve you a lot of credit for doing it in the first place.

Josh
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 08:23 PM
the Tred paint looks

the trunk looks, ok. id be in like Flint if it was an oem replacement. im just curious CF1, where did you come with the idea to add this spoiler?

id consider buying one but live near a high school and id really hate to come outside one day to see some kids doing kickflips on my car

ps i think a cf reflector idea is a good idea. maybe also a cf replacement piece for the chrome strip. heck, even if that was made for sale by itself id consider buying one.
thank you, thank you.

I was just discussing with my sales guys about making some sort of a reflector cover as an add-on piece down the line. It'd be difficult to make it a complete replacement due to all the mounting points, not to mention the license plate lights and holes. We'll brainstorm and come up with something beautiful for you guys.

To recap, we currently have the following for sale:

CF Sail panels (for rear doors)
OEM hood
Cowl Hood
and the New Contour CX Trunk

we're considering running a GB once the trunk is in full production so stay tuned for that!
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 08:33 PM
where is your shop located? ill be heading out today towards, what i believe is your way, to pick up a VIS hood for my buddy's focus. i would love to see this trunk in person if you have one handy. unless the only one is on Dion's car.

how much are the cf sail panels?
how much are the stock hoods?

id be interested, possibly in a cowl hood, but i really dont want to mess around with adjusting the fenders to put it on. could i possibly bring my car to you guys to put it on?

ps, you can model the new trunk on my silver frost tour to show everyone what it will look like on the silver tours. (the most common colored tour)
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 08:37 PM
I still think the trunk looks great. I really wish i had the extra cash for it!

id consider buying one but live near a high school and id really hate to come outside one day to see some kids doing kickflips on my car

Thats hilarious!
Posted By: Sl33stak Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 09:01 PM
I too am wondering what other products you're interested in, i'ld be very interesed in CF covers for the tanks(coolant, power steering, ect.) on the car.

Great job on the trunk, it doesn't quite suit my taste, but i geve you a lot of credit for doing it in the first place.

Josh

I can say for a fact, that as far as other Carbon Fiber products go......all of us with DASH WARP Would sell our mommas for a CF dash!
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 09:19 PM
One more question.. Is the CF1 Carbon Fiber One emblem under the resin, or is that optional? I understand your want have your company name on the product, but I am going more for a clean look. Just wondered if the emblem was added on after the hood was made.

Thanks again!

Mark
the CF1 emblem is actually a decal on top. all CF1 hoods come with an authentic CF1 badge imbedded in the liner. accept no imitations!

Dion stopped by this morning to do the second test fit. If you like, you can stop by when we install Dion's final production trunk, which will be sometime late next week.

I'll have one of the sales guys start a new group buy thread on which we'll post prices of all our contour products.
Posted By: Aspire Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 10:12 PM
You say the emblem is on top but also that it is embedded? Can it be removed or not? I do not have decals or anything else on my car and would not have a big CF1 promo and my trunk lid
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 10:16 PM
Read carefuly Aspire. The TRUNKLID has a sticker which can be removed(or I would imagine you can order it without).

He said the HOODS have CF1 embedded in the LINER(underside) of the hood.

Mark
Posted By: Aspire Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 10:16 PM
Hey Hey take it easy, thank you for the answer.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 10:19 PM
Hahaa sorry.. I like to CAPS the important words.. Not yelling

Mark
Posted By: Aspire Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 10:22 PM
It was the sarcasm that hurt so much Y2KSVT...JK

Posted By: TjZ Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/28/05 10:43 PM
I think the new trunk lid is nice and I cant wait for the new GB to start on the other CF items Time for some CF and T-Red action
Posted By: JB1 Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/29/05 03:27 AM
when i first saw the trunk prototype i thought woohoo. when i saw the first test fit i thought . since then i the trunk has begun to grow on me a bit. now i think i would like to have one if only i had the money.
Posted By: Pope Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/29/05 07:35 AM
POST DELETED TO AVOID STARTING ARGUEMENTS (and offending one of the few companies that make aftermarket parts for these cars)
attn:cf1

i looooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvve it. hurry up and make it so i can buy one......then whats next after the trunk lid?????thank you sooooo much for your dedication to the contour, its hard enough finding any part for it let alone carbon fiber.
I had an OEM spoiler added onto my car later and the installation suck arse. This would be a good replacement. Excellent work guys.
Still ugly. My .02
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/29/05 03:02 PM
Still ugly. My .02

You could put it on your car.. Wouldn't matter if it's ugly or not, nobody will ever see your car out of the garage anyway

Mark
Posted By: Stazi Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/29/05 03:27 PM
I'd buy it with a CF cover for the reflector, because I HATE that reflector with a passion.
i 100% agree with that statment,,,,wonder if they would possibly do one with it shaved, just make a square hole for the plate,,,that would be pimp......yes i painted mine and the crome strip but still it would look alot better with it flush, but i will still buy one either way....when are they for sale?????????????
Posted By: theTK Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/29/05 04:47 PM

You put it perfectly

Me three!

Well said...if they did as I suggested in the beginning they would be a hit! Make a stock OEM without the reflector and NO spoiler then offer a variety of spoiler options from the mild lip or stock post 97 spoiler to radical wing if they like all in CF. This would satisfy all Contour and Mystique owners no matter what year and everyone wouldn't look the same. Give us an option and some variety to choose our own personal look. This is a major f-up to say the least and could have been easily avoided if they only asked

I've read the response from the company, and I feel my original post still holds water. Please read and realize there was no ill will towards the build quality or company all together. I appreciate any attention given towards our cars.

Still, the defense is that you can't make everyone happy. But from a marketing stand point, wouldn't it make more sense to make a more subtle piece that would appeal to a larger cross section? Because the people posting that they like it right now are just impressed because its carbon fiber and I have a feeling that they wouldn't care if the wing were 3 inches lower. And if it were, you would probably have a lot more buyers.

I'm not trying to start an argument, or upset a company. I'm just trying to help out you guys to have ultimately the best product and sell more units, as well as to help the community have a great looking piece.

Good luck.
I agree TK. It would have made sence to survey the market for design before making something and saying here it is take it or leave it. I think most of the opinions expressed here were done so with good intentions, hoping to improve the design for the overall market and profitabilty for CF1.
I think we get the point. This Horse has long been dead, was beaten severely long time ago . Lets move along and get past that shall we, instead of trying to be the next person to make another shameless hit at this poor horse. .

Anyone who needs hoods, look below
Originally posted by carbonfiberone:
Mark,
Thanks for your feedback. We do take all things into consideration since if our parts don't sell, it does us no good. With this particular trunk, however, the mold is already completed and the part will be in production soon, which means there will be no further modifications and tweaks.

that being said, here are pictures of test fit Round 2.

IMHO your way of thinking for a dieing platform is totally backwards. You should be trying to appeal to the largest group not a select few if you care about product sales...this is what totally baffles me and many more around this board. If there were no CEG you would have pretty much ZERO sales. This site is probably 100% responsible at this point for keeping the Contour alive or even treading water in the world of performance auto's and yet you ignore what we say

As for the CF1 trunk the fit looks better but still not feeling the look at all...it still looks like a Chevy Cavalier rear spoiler on a Contour and MILES yes MILES away from a BMW. How about showing a pic straight on from the side not angled views. This view seems to be avoided for some reason? As said before...a OEM CF trunk either pre-98 or post-97 would have been a hit. You would get the same price. You could have made a couple of different CF spoilers and sold them for $200-$300 and made everyone happy, sold MANY more and made more money as well with trunk and spoiler sales. I stand buy my comments 100%. I will not buy a CF truck lid just because it is the only one like some here will do. I probably would have bought an OEM trunk and then picked my own spoiler that fit my choice and car. I am not overly happy with my CF1 cowl hood and it's issues to say the least but that's another subject in itself.

The interest in our cars is very much appreciated but the product is still a major a blunder just like the cowl hood and it's "bird bath". You would have sold MUCH more without it ! Just do a search on it over the last year and you will definitely see.

You will however appeal to the 16-17 year olds that will buy or say they are going to buy them basically because they will buy anything with carbon fiber even if it looks like sh!t or not just because it's carbon fiber and it's sooooooo cool

The only way I'd consider this trunk lid is if you practically gave it to me for helping you sell the CF1 Cowl Hood
By the way...How many CF1 cowl hoods have you sold to date ?
When do I get my check for the unauthorized advertisements on your website and on eBay using MY car to sell your products
http://www.carbonfiberone.com/commerce/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=129&cat=Hoods+%28Unless+noted+as+FRP+or+fiberglass%2C+all+hoods+are+made+of+Carbon+Fiber%29#

pic used on CF1 website and CF1 eBay auctions...

And now my pic of my car in my driveway from my "FotoTime" account...

Good luck...maybe you will sell 6 or 8 if your lucky.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/29/05 06:32 PM
I agree 110% with Scottd60.

Couldn't resist
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/29/05 07:53 PM
I agree 110% with Scottd60.

Couldn't resist

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Successful and smart businesses create products based on the largest group appeal. They do focus groups, testing, etc.

CF1 on the other hand says, "Let's just make something and try to sell it". And when people criticize it, you make poor attempts to try and justify your creations.

2 attempts, 2 failures. The cowl hood was a disaster with that terrible bird bath. IMO the trunk still looks heinous. Does not flow with the lines of the car one bit.

I would suggest adjusting your strategy in making products. Unless you're not in the business of making money of course.
You know it's Friday & I don't really give a rats ass. The more I thought about this trunk the more messed up everything seemed to be. If anyone, I mean anyone buys this thing they have not one ounce of car styling sense in their body or anyone in there entire family for that matter. I don't usually go on about products on here if I think they are a bad design or just plain look dumb. That's for the buyer to decide because naturally everyone is different. This one takes the cake though. I have to say something. I can't think of one part that could even come close in the history of CEG that could be as poorly conceived as this one.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/29/05 08:15 PM
Hmmmm... a few of you need to brush up on some stuff!
Quote:

*If you do not agree with a Group Buy price or product, let it be. Do not post negative remarks. If the price is high, don't buy it. You don't like windshield washer lights? Don't buy them.

I respect you guys at CF1, thanks for contribution to this dying breed!
I am not overly happy with my CF1 cowl hood and it's issues to say the least but that's another subject in itself.

The interest in our cars is very much appreciated but the product is still a major a blunder just like the cowl hood and it's "bird bath". You would have sold MUCH more without it ! Just do a search on it over the last year and you will definitely see.

----------------------------------
I agree with the Bird Bath
----------------------------------
Posted By: Stazi Re: Official Carbon Fiber One trunk lid GB! - 04/29/05 08:53 PM
I cut open the vent - so no bird bath.

My question now is will CF1 REALLY tells us to go pound sand, or will they stop and reconsider this move.

I'm thinking it could mean the difference between selling 5 trunks and 50 trunks!
I have no ability whatsoever.. someone photo shop that trunk to match the body color in the pics right above. I am seeing this trunklid in my mind painted.. and I think it would look great. The whole thing right now is that the rear reflector and its "redness" is really throwing things off... with the small part of CF at the bottom being black... it doesn't flow. I think if a photoshop was done and painted it body color.. opinions would change.

Somebody??? Photoshop dions trunklid t-red!

Oh yeah, Scott.. you are right abotu all of that, too. And you should be gettin some cash for them stealing your photo for selling purposes... I know thats against the law.
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: PHOTO SHOP SKILLS-- WE NEED YOU NOW!!! - 04/29/05 09:17 PM
Maybe not on dion's car, but I think a liberal application of niteshade would help the reflector and tail lights flor much better.

Make it stop, my poor horse has been through enough.

Make it stop, my poor horse has been through enough.

Beat that horse!!
Dion or CF1 can start a new thread for those that are interested in the current trunk being made. Otherwise, the point has been made.
© CEG Archives