Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TexasRealtor SUNROOF GEARS - 09/21/04 08:38 PM
I just got off the phone with Jeff Caplan and he feels that this new gear is going to work. He still wants to give it another month of testing to improve confidence, but said he would begin to start taking orders on November 1st. Orders should go directly to Jeff at:
(757)593-3478 (VA)
www.odometergears.com

Jeff is the Sun God !!!!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/21/04 08:45 PM
Thank God!!!!
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/21/04 08:45 PM
OMGGGGGGGG Ive never been so happy. Im so down for 1!!! YIPEEEEEEEEEEEeee
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/21/04 08:50 PM
Originally posted by SVTcontourSVT:
OMGGGGGGGG Ive never been so happy. Im so down for 1!!! YIPEEEEEEEEEEEeee

Ditto...
Posted By: chikmagnet340 Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/21/04 09:15 PM
damn, i'm gonna buy like 4 of em.
Posted By: DDV Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/21/04 09:49 PM
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
Orders should go directly to Jeff at:
(757)593-3478 (VA)
www.odometergears.com

What's the price?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/21/04 09:51 PM
What is the official price on these? Or wasn't there one?

Mark
Posted By: BlackOnTan Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 01:10 AM
Man, I feel kinda bad that I am the only one on the board who has a pair of these new gears to test, especially since TexasRealtor has worked so closely with Jeff as well. Today was another success as the test gear passed a heat test with no problem. This has been the best gear to date as far as strength and durability and it looks just like the factory gear except it is black and feels much stronger.

I know the big question has been price. It is hard to put a price on something when you're not sure if the part is even gonna work out in the long run. I know that's how Jeff feels. However, I am CERTAIN that the cost will be around that of a dinner and movie for two.

As always, I will keep you posted.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 01:14 AM
Quote:

Man, I feel kinda bad that I am the only one on the board who has a pair of these new gears to test, especially since TexasRealtor has worked so closely with Jeff as well.

As in a pair of the same gears to test with or replacing more than one gear? I'm hoping just to test with as there is only one gear as the culprit, well two if you count the worm gear that causes the melting.
Posted By: BlackOnTan Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 01:21 AM
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
Quote:

Man, I feel kinda bad that I am the only one on the board who has a pair of these new gears to test, especially since TexasRealtor has worked so closely with Jeff as well.

As in a pair of the same gears to test with or replacing more than one gear? I'm hoping just to test with as there is only one gear as the culprit, well two if you count the worm gear that causes the melting.

A pair of the same to test.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 01:23 AM
Originally posted by BlackOnTan:
Quote:

A pair of the same to test.

Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 04:46 AM
Originally posted by DDV:
(757)593-3478 (VA)
www.odometergears.com

What's the price?

Jeff typically charges $25 per gear. You need to check with him after Nov 1st for exact pricing.

TR
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 05:46 AM
i feel like i should buy one just in case
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 12:08 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 05:47 PM
The original guesttimate price on these was going to be around $60 due to their complexity. The materials may have affected the price adversely so we'll have to wait and see.

Blackandtan, one of the tests I did that failed the first few gears I had was to put pressure on the glass impeding the forward or rear travel slightly to simulate a track that has gotten dirty and unlubed over the years. The gears would last about 2/3 of a single pass on that test.

Rick
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 05:59 PM
i'd be in for a couple, pending the durability tests, etc.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
The original guesttimate price on these was going to be around $60 due to their complexity. The materials may have affected the price adversely so we'll have to wait and see.

Blackandtan, one of the tests I did that failed the first few gears I had was to put pressure on the glass impeding the forward or rear travel slightly to simulate a track that has gotten dirty and unlubed over the years. The gears would last about 2/3 of a single pass on that test.

Rick

This is a new super hard resin. He also feels that heat will have no affect on this new material and it appears to be much stronger than the OEM gear.
Posted By: BlackOnTan Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 09:14 PM
Everything is still going good with the new gear, however, I have managed to develop a non-gear related problem with my sunroof. I am taking my car to the dealership Saturday, afterwards testing of the gear will resume. That's all for now. I will be back in a few days with an update.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/22/04 11:28 PM
Everything is still going good with the new gear, however, I have managed to develop a non-gear related problem with my sunroof. I am taking my car to the dealership Saturday, afterwards testing of the gear will resume. That's all for now. I will be back in a few days with an update.

What is it doing? Mine was also giving me another problem other than the gear. When I pressed the button, nothing happened, no grind, no movement, nothing. Other than that, which happened every so often, the gear is messed up.
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/23/04 01:48 AM
Owned the Tour for over a year and still have not driven with the damn sunroof open. It really makes me mad when I think about I want one soon!
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/23/04 02:54 PM

What is it doing? Mine was also giving me another problem other than the gear. When I pressed the button, nothing happened, no grind, no movement, nothing. Other than that, which happened every so often, the gear is messed up.

Mine did the same thing. Pull out the motor and manually turn the motor open and close again. Plug it back in and push the switch and it will probably work. Then sycronize it with the sunroof.

TR
Posted By: BlackOnTan Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/24/04 04:49 AM

I think I am having an alignment issue.....
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/24/04 01:57 PM

I think I am having an alignment issue.....

What exactly is it doing?
Posted By: TheAlmightyMe Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/24/04 10:24 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:

Do it; I'm on my second motor assembly in a yaer and I hardly ever use the sunroof.

Anyways, I'm in for a gear, just want the price before I commit.
Posted By: BlackOnTan Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/25/04 05:50 AM
This is just great. Well, seems as though my sunroof has a bent track in the way back of the sliding mechanism. The dealer said that the sunroof tracks are not sold individually and are sold as the whole suroof assembly, less the motor. In my case, that means a lot of stuff I don't need for the $2100 incl. labor quote from the dealer. Wabasto (aftermarket division) is near my house, and they of course, have maufactured our sunroofs. The techs at that shop are certain they can help me out so I am hoping to get the car their Monday. This is all becoming a nightmare.
Posted By: Lee_dup2 Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/25/04 07:58 AM
You can get a track from a wrecked car for alot less if you have too. Also the removal is not hard just have a windshield repair company come remove your rear glass and do it over a weekend. Hardest part is getting the headliner out of the way. Then 6 bolts its out.
Posted By: tttc Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/27/04 08:20 AM
I am in if the price is right.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/27/04 04:56 PM

seems as though my sunroof has a bent track in the way back of the sliding mechanism.:

How did you do that?
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/27/04 08:45 PM
I just got off the phone with Jeff and he is confident that this new gear will work. He is sending me a gear to continue testing due to BackonTan's malfunctioning sunroof, which is unrelated to the gear. Jeff is also going to use an even superior method of curing the resin on future gears. The CEG price has been set at $54 shipped per gear (no group buys as Jeff says that this is almost his cost). Although he wants me to continue testing, he says he may now be contacted(contact info a begining of thread) to start taking orders and he expects to begin shipping by November 1st.

TR
Posted By: chikmagnet340 Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/27/04 11:06 PM
WOOO HOOO!!! just in time for winter baby!
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/28/04 12:05 AM
Originally posted by chikmagnet340:

LMAO!

On a lighter note, I already have a replacement on the way, perfect timing huh? I assume since there is no group buy that these will be available anytime so I can buy one if my new stock gear craps out, correct?
Posted By: thejms Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/28/04 02:47 AM
Do we have to call the order in or is there contact via email?
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/28/04 02:22 PM
(757)593-3478 (VA)
www.odometergears.com

You can call or email.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/28/04 02:24 PM
Originally posted by chikmagnet340:

LMAO!

On a lighter note, I already have a replacement on the way, perfect timing huh? I assume since there is no group buy that these will be available anytime so I can buy one if my new stock gear craps out, correct?

Correct.
Posted By: BlackOnTan Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/30/04 03:56 AM
I just got off the phone with Jeff and he is confident that this new gear will work. He is sending me a gear to continue testing due to BackonTan's malfunctioning sunroof, which is unrelated to the gear. Jeff is also going to use an even superior method of curing the resin on future gears. The CEG price has been set at $54 shipped per gear (no group buys as Jeff says that this is almost his cost). Although he wants me to continue testing, he says he may now be contacted(contact info a begining of thread) to start taking orders and he expects to begin shipping by November 1st.

TR

Cool! I'm glad Jeff sent you a test gear cause I was thinking about sending you my backup test gear while my POS sunroof gets checked out by Wabasto. I got the car in today so I'll have to wait and see what they determine is the problem. Honestly, I bet my track is indeed bent in the rear cause I think (though not positive) my car has been whacked before and that could spell trouble....
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 09/30/04 07:39 PM

TR

Cool! I'm glad Jeff sent you a test gear cause I was thinking about sending you my backup test gear while my POS sunroof gets checked out by Wabasto. I got the car in today so I'll have to wait and see what they determine is the problem. Honestly, I bet my track is indeed bent in the rear cause I think (though not positive) my car has been whacked before and that could spell trouble....

Bummer, but the gear does appears to work... right?
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 10/04/04 05:10 PM
I am still waiting on the gear from Jeff. Has anyone tried to order one yet. How goes the repair to your sunroof BlackonTan?
Posted By: Jason43 Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 10/05/04 08:41 PM
I may have to order one now. My sunroof has just died as well
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: SUNROOF GEARS - 10/07/04 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Jason43:
I may have to order one now. My sunroof has just died as well

$50 and a lifetime guarantee is better than $300 and no guarantee IMHO.
© CEG Archives