Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tom501 OBD Code P0420 - 04/22/04 01:09 AM
My auto technician read the subject code for my "check engine" light as BANK 1 CAT EFFICIENCY BELOW LIMIT. His diagnostic tool listed 8 or 9 possible causes. I recently bought this car (98 Silver Frost SVT) with 110,000 miles on it, and the check engine light came on after about 500 miles of driving. The tech reset it and said to come back if it comes on again and he would spend more time (and $$) troubleshooting. It came on again today, after about another 500 miles. I queried the previous owner who said he replaced "both" (?) oxygen sensors in the last 6 months. Any idea what the REAL PROBLEM might be? The car runs GREAT!!!! (No problems except for the stupid light).
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/22/04 02:41 AM
You need MIL eliminators to fix this problem.

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/22/04 03:06 AM
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:

That wouldn't be a fix unless he has a removed/gutted cats/precats.
Most likely precats are going bad. You can gut them and then get the MIL eliminator (i think you need it for gutted precats). It could also be a bad cat. If you have under 80k miles then it's possible that Ford has to fix it for free. Could be some other problem as well, not sure what, you never really know what code can be resulting from.
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/22/04 03:07 AM
gut them suckers out, if you get this code like i was, it is just gonna keep coming back unless of course you get the MIL eliminator, but you might as well get ride of them things if it is throwing a code saying the cat is basicly bad, new ones cost out the ass, gutting them cost less than $20
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/22/04 12:17 PM
What everyone is trying to say is it looks like your bank 1 precat is bad (this is the one on the firewall side IIRC). You can either get it replaced or "gut it." Replacing it is expensive due to parts and labor. Gutting it is somewhat difficult due to the need to remove the manifold, plus it is technically illegal and could potentially cause your car to have trouble meeting emissions (but probably not). Plus you'll need to install the "MIL eliminator," which is a component that mimics an O2 sensor in order to "fool" the PCM into thinking eveything's cool.

My advice: If you want to save money and have lots of time, tools, and mechanical ability, try gutting it. Otherwise bring it to a shop and get the cat replaced.
Posted By: MarkO_dup1 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/22/04 03:37 PM

With respect, you really need to stop posting replies like this unless you really know what you are talking about.

There are many triggers for the p0420 code. At 110k, the intake system on this car is likely to be badly gunked up. Unless we know what the service history on this car is and what condition it is in now, I's hold off on telling him anything like 'you need mil eliminators'.
Posted By: vudusvt_dup1 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/22/04 05:49 PM
If you think gutting your precats will too much of a PITA, you can get some pre-gutted ones from Buckshot. That way, the only PITA will be removing them and re-installing the new ones.

When I was still under warranty I had both manifolds replaced (0420 & 0430) for free. Now, 3 years later, I've started getting 0420 again- intake & intake manifolds are clean, new plugs & injectors about 7,000 mi ago, EGR valve was new with the manifolds. I bit the bullet and got some MSDS headers. Now to get them installed....
Posted By: GR8SVT_dup1 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/22/04 09:34 PM
Or, if you want brand new ones cheap and want to be legal and have no problems passing emmissions..PM me.
Posted By: Tom501 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/24/04 01:49 PM
I'm overwhelmed by the gracious responses from the group! Thanks for all the advice so far. I've reset the code (by removing fuses 4 & 11 for 15 minutes), replaced a kind of dirty air filter, put in a few ounces of fuel injector cleaner, and made an appointment next week at the Ford dealership, where the service advisor tells me that for $69 they will find out which of the various and sundry reasons are the true cause of my code P0420 code - stay tuned... (At about 150 miles into the code reset, the CEL remains unlit.) At the present time, if the dealer convinces me to replace the precat, I'll probably go for it, as I am really pressed for time. A major household move is pending to a location where I don't know the mechanics and their reputations. Perhaps I'll initiate another post searching for recommendations of reputable mechanics in the Denver area!!
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/24/04 04:22 PM
If you need to repalce the pre-cat it will cost you a ton. If that turns out to be your problem, install MIL eliminators. they make the computer think the cat is working fine so the check engine light wont come on.

Posted By: tiv_dup1 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/24/04 11:02 PM
If you need to repalce the pre-cat it will cost you a ton. If that turns out to be your problem, install MIL eliminators. they make the computer think the cat is working fine so the check engine light wont come on.

I think if you're giving advices like that you should also inform him that doing this is against federal law...

On the other hand, running with plugged exhausts/cats will damage the car on the long run and no MIL eliminator will save you from that.

Tiv
Posted By: rage2299 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/25/04 02:48 AM
check with a reputable ford dealer. last I heard they were having a recall for the cats going bad. beyond the 80k emissions warranty.
Posted By: Blancas2020 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/26/04 10:12 PM
this my be a dumm question but what is mil eliminators?
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/26/04 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Blancas2020:
this my be a dumm question but what is mil eliminators?

Not dumb at all. I guess I should spelled it out for those who dont know. MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light, which is basically the check engine light. Anyways MIL eliminators you place after I think, it may be before, the downstream O2 sensor if your cat goes bad. This makes the computer think the cat is working correctly so you dont get a check engine light. So MIL eliminators eliminate the check engine light.

Posted By: Tom501 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/29/04 02:10 AM
OK, been to the dealership and...source of the code was unable to be discovered. Per the service advisor, if the cats were bad, I should be seeing driveability problems (I am not). Oxy sensors were monitored and checked out OK. Since they were unable to successfully diagnose the problem, they discounted the $69 "check engine light diagnosis" to $59. Stay tuned.
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/29/04 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Tom501:
OK, been to the dealership and...source of the code was unable to be discovered. Per the service advisor, if the cats were bad, I should be seeing driveability problems (I am not). Oxy sensors were monitored and checked out OK. Since they were unable to successfully diagnose the problem, they discounted the $69 "check engine light diagnosis" to $59. Stay tuned.

No you dont notice any driveability probelms if your cats are bad I believe.

Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 04/29/04 11:58 AM
No you dont notice any driveability probelms if your cats are bad I believe.

Correct AFAIK... a cat can be operating below spec and still not cause driveability issues. But if you let it go and pretend the problem doesn't exist, it eventually will.
Posted By: MelC I am having the same thing - 04/29/04 12:35 PM
I took my car to autozone when the CEL came on and I got the same code you have. I called my mechanic and he told me to ignore it because many times it is a fluke. That was 3 weeks ago, the light is still on but the car is running OK. Until this morning...but my new problem is seemingly unrelated. I am going to do some intake cleaning this weekend and see if that does the trick...if not I may try the gutting suggestions since I live in the boonedocks where no-ones car could meet emissions!
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: I am having the same thing - 05/20/04 02:51 PM
My CSVT is throwing a P0420 code as well and say "catalyst efficiency below threshold." My car only has 45k and the service tech at the Ford dealership told me that it is probably a bad precat and is covered by the 8/80,000 emission warranty. My car runs fine, except I think the fuel pump is also going out because it bucks at 5,000 rpms when I only have 1/4 tank or less.
Posted By: TomV_dup1 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 05/20/04 03:33 PM
I'm pretty sure this link has been pasted before, but it does a great job of explaining things.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/catmonitor.htm
Posted By: techme Re: OBD Code P0420 - 06/09/04 10:14 AM
This is an excellent article and should be required reading for all CEGers!
Posted By: brianl703 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 06/09/04 04:12 PM
Originally posted by MarkO:
There are many triggers for the p0420 code. At 110k, the intake system on this car is likely to be badly gunked up. Unless we know what the service history on this car is and what condition it is in now, I's hold off on telling him anything like 'you need mil eliminators'.

Can vacuum leaks cause a P0420 code?

Maybe check the long term fuel trim.
Posted By: MercuryMystik99 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 06/09/04 10:31 PM
Where can I buy an mil eliminator?
Posted By: brianl703 Re: OBD Code P0420 - 06/11/04 06:17 PM
http://www.mileliminators.com/ $29 per pair
© CEG Archives