Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: nomada Won't Always Start. Please Help!!! - 03/03/04 08:17 PM
Ok, so a few weeks ago i had problems with starting. I replaced the fule filter, cleaned the MAF, intakes, and throttle body. It ran great, smooth and with no CELs for about a week. Then it wouldn't start again. It cranks and turns over but wont start. I am able to push start it when this happens. What could this be? Fuel Pump? I went to order one the other day and there were 2 available at Kragen, one w/ 1/4" terminal connector tabs and one w/ 3/16". Does anybody know which one I would order? and is there any other suggestions of fixes to try. Thank you!!!
Posted By: 2KSESportV6 Re: Won't Always Start. Please Help!!! - 03/03/04 08:39 PM
Welcome aboard. It's sounds like the fuel pump to me. What can do is that disconnect the gasline coming fromt eh tank and crank it, if you see a lot of gas coming out, the pump is good. If not the pump is bad. Or another way to tell if the fuel pump is working is to turn the ignition to on and if you hear it is working. If not that'll probably explain the problem. Also your ignition module could also be bad.

What yr, make, and model contour/mystique you have?? That would help me as well as other to try to pin point the problem .
Posted By: nomada Re: Won't Always Start. Please Help!!! - 03/03/04 10:07 PM
Opps.. forgot that part. I have a 98 contour SVT w/ 70,000 miles.

Where would I disconnect the gas line coming from the tank to do that test.
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: Won't Always Start. Please Help!!! - 03/04/04 12:34 AM
Early or late 98 ???

There is a Schraeder fitting in the engine compartment.
Posted By: nomada Re: Won't Always Start. Please Help!!! - 03/04/04 12:48 AM
early 98.

what is this Schraeder fitting?
Posted By: nomada Re: Won't Always Start. Please Help!!! - 03/04/04 07:20 PM
Anybody know why there are two fuel pumps, and which one I should order?
Originally posted by nomada:
Anybody know why there are two fuel pumps, and which one I should order?

Later versions have the return-less system. The pump is very different.

You have to determine which you have.

You have not really determined that the fuel pump is the problem. Only testing with a pressure guage will give you that knowledge.

Steve
© CEG Archives