Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
i own a 98 with 65000 miles. just a couple weeks ago i had a VCT solenoid go bad which ended up costing me over 500.00 to fix. the code i had was P-1381 or it could be a P-1380.
either way if you get or had this cod e you will be spending close to the same amount. with only 60000 miles this is unacceptable. you should not have internal engine failures at that mileage. i had my cel for over a year before it failed. there is no warning it is going to fail it just goes where ever you are at. i sent ford a email about this and i urge all of you to do the same. there email can be found on there web site under the "contact us " section.
this part was first installed in 1998 ford vehicles. another "new" idea from ford. do your part to let them know there should be a investigation into this part. thank you
If you had a CEL for a year and did nothing about it, the result is your own fault.

I certainly won't feel sorry for you.

There have only been a few threads on this forum regarding this DTC. If you want to just blow off steam, go ahead. FWIW, it will be about as effective as pi$$ing into the wind.

Steve
What is a VCT solenoid?
Originally posted by wakeslayer:
What is a VCT solenoid?

The Variable Cam Timing solenoid is found on newer Zetecs.

The mechanism is known to stick sometimes from varnish buildup. If the soleniod is not burned up, an engine flush can un-stick it.

Keep your oil religiously clean!
Originally posted by Rogerm60:

Keep your oil religiously clean!

And use the correct viscosity.
i have a 99 se zetect with vct never had any problems other than the fuel situations i use castrol gtx drive hard never had any problems. i will use some enigine flush nextime before changing the oil
I ran my oil for 200k miles, never changed my air filter and ran bosch + 4 plugs. I'm having acceleration problems, I have a cel and my gas mileage is 4 gallons to the mile. These cars suck.
an engine flush

An alternative to an engine flush is to use Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 for a couple thousand miles. It's got extra detergents because it's designed for diesel AND gasoline engines. Wal-mart sells it for around $12 for a 1-gallon jug.

I used the 15W-40 non-synthetic version of Rotella on my 88 Mustang GT and it made a lifter tick go away. But 15W-40 is way too thick for a modern engine, so it'd be best to use the synthetic 5W-40 version.

Since it's oil and not kerosene or whatever these engine flushes use, it won't be as hard on the engine.
This could be your problem: friggin' ford does this stuff all the time

[Camshaft Rotational Dampener-
Is your camshaft spinning out of control? Most car manufacturers cut costs and avoid installing this important part. Did you know that expensive camshaft could be spinning at speeds of up to 7500rpm - tearing up the inside of your motor? Symptoms maybe vibration at speed, vibration at idle, and loud noises coming from your exhaust. Install KaleCo rotational dampener to eliminate cam spin!
$100 Each
$175 Set of 2]
They also offer muffler bearings & other hard to find items... Kale Co Auto
Originally posted by MarkO:
I ran my oil for 200k miles, never changed my air filter and ran bosch + 4 plugs. I'm having acceleration problems, I have a cel and my gas mileage is 4 gallons to the mile. These cars suck.

I hear you... Darn things expect me to put in gas every 300 miles too!

Not to rag on the origional poster, but it seems like the general public doesn't realize that a CEL should be resolved ASAP. One poster on CEG last week wanted to know how to remove the bulb on his CEL. I can hear his thinking now, "That will fix er' for sure!".

People also don't seem to realize components like tires, brakes, exhaust, shocks/struts, etc, are maintenance items. They start spouting off about poor quality when they need a brake job and tires in the same year. Puzzles me, thats for sure.
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
They also offer muffler bearings & other hard to find items...

MAN! Am I glad I found this link! I have never had muffler bearings on my car & now I can go to my local shop & have them installed before its too late! Yaaa-Hooo!

Found a little something for you too...

[-Motor Block Oil Bypass Kit-
Modern synthetic oil is very expensive - so why run the risk of getting it dirty by running it through your motor block? KaleCo bypass kit comes with everything you need to run the oil around your motor block where it will do more good. Oil runs cooler, and as a result, there may be horsepower gains!
$50 Each ]
Originally posted by SVZETEC:

Found a little something for you too...

[-Motor Block Oil Bypass Kit-
Modern synthetic oil is very expensive - so why run the risk of getting it dirty by running it through your motor block? KaleCo bypass kit comes with everything you need to run the oil around your motor block where it will do more good. Oil runs cooler, and as a result, there may be horsepower gains!
$50 Each ]

Dood, you're my best friend!
news flash for you projectSHO89 the mechanic told me there is no way to test it with out taking it out. and i would have to wait till the car died. which it did eventually. why would i spend 500.00 to have my engine tore apart when they dont know for sure if that is the problem. first you should read up on the VCT solenoid and where it is located before you start shooting off your mouth. maybe when you get the same problem you will see for yourself there are many causes for this CEL to come on with this code. im not asking for pitty but this how things like recalls get accomplished is for the average american to complain to the company that made the parts. not wait till people start dieing in crashes because there vehicle stops running at 55 to 65 mph on a busy highway. they all dont fail in your driveway. as far as a few threads here on this board a few is three in my book and there are more than three. and if you check the internet like i did for imformation pertaining to this part you will find there are more than a "few". see i do my homework before i blow off my mouth and i am just trying to help others before they experience the same problm. this part had nothing to do with clean oil or dirty oil. if you see the part out of the engine you would see why . i also had this part tested and found that it was the selenoid not the collar that goes around the cam shaft. that part was fine. i have my oil changed every 3000 miles. i think maybe you need to take a close look at what makes your cam run you would be surprised that it runs at all.
i jut had a solenoid replaced by aamco, but it was under warranty. not sure if its the same thing u are talking about....
P1380 VCT Solenoid Valve circuit Short or Open.

P1381 Cam Timing Advance is excessive.

Both of these codes point to the VTC.

Of course it can be tested - with a meter, a timing light, and a jumper wire.

The VCT problem may eventually reach recall status, but anything can fail while you are out on the road. The VCT solenoid may burn out from oil infiltration or defect, but much more commonly from being stuck. If the pintle in the solenoid valve does not move completely, the coil is subject to a great deal of electrically generated heat. The pintle and oil passages are not visible unless it is dismantled. The collar for the cam is not the problem.

Calm down. Thank you for your concern on the subject.

Read around the site. You will discover other problems you did not know about. That's why the creators of the site started it - and we are indebted to them.

Now go and check your muffler bearings.

Lol. That hand looks wierd.
A little edgy there huh? I completely agree with SHO89, you should not have driven with a CEL for a year!!! The codes point at the VCT as displayed above, don't blame your neglected engine for something it TOLD YOU was going to happen. What else do you want it to do? Make a sandwich for you?
Check your exhaust filter too.
Now go and check your muffler bearings.

That looks like it might be interchangeable with the front wheel bearings on a Fox-body Mustang? Anyone know for sure? It'd be cool if it were, because those muffler bearings are hard to find, and real expensive when you do....
Originally posted by JonnySVT:

Don't spend money replacing it right away. Most good home mechanics can clean the existing filter by sucking real hard on the tail pipe. Give it a try, you've got a pretty mouth.
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Don't spend money replacing it right away. Most good home mechanics can clean the existing filter by sucking real hard on the tail pipe. Give it a try, you've got a pretty mouth.

Does the car have to be running?
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but here's a nice snow car:)

http://www.montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86833

Thats awesome, I want a snow car!!!!1
Originally posted by bk4293:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Does the car have to be running?

I talked to my mechanic and he said yes, absolutely, yes.
Don't forget about the mudflap stretchers. If they bind up, it'll really cost you.
© CEG Archives