Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: supertouringmike [b]HARD BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDALS?[b] - 01/08/04 05:27 PM
After some driving at "cruising speeds" the brake and clutch get real hard for a while. Any ideas out there?
Some kind of vacuum problem?
Posted By: epattonm Re: [b]HARD BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDALS?[b] - 01/08/04 05:50 PM
I have noticed the same thing in my CSVT. I have concluded that it's just me getting lazy in that nice leather seat...
well since both pedals run off of the brake fluid, I'm guessing that you need to flush the brake system and get some fresh fluid in there.
In my chevy pickup, hard pedals means a loss of booster vacuum. Don't know if contours work the same way or not.
Posted By: bullion Re: [b]HARD BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDALS?[b] - 01/08/04 10:16 PM
LOL. That would be nice to be able to blame your problem on leather seats, but let's get realistic. I would try flushing/refilling the brake system
Posted By: epattonm Re: [b]HARD BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDALS?[b] - 01/09/04 03:51 AM
No no, I mean by just sitting there, my legs aren't doing anything, then when I have to use either pedal... it's effort, which is harder than it just resting there.
Posted By: bullion Re: [b]HARD BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDALS?[b] - 01/09/04 04:01 AM
That sounds pretty typical for someone driving a car
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: [b]HARD BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDALS?[b] - 01/09/04 09:13 AM
try bleeding the clutch and brakes after you replace the fluid. since they run off of the same reservoir and all.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: [b]HARD BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDALS?[b] - 01/17/04 03:55 AM
Originally posted by supertouringmike:
After some driving at "cruising speeds" the brake and clutch get real hard for a while. Any ideas out there?
Some kind of vacuum problem?

My car has been doing this from DAY ONE and I would really like to figure out whats going on. Brake and clutch were completely bled and NO effect whatsoever.
If the car needs bleeding, it's because air is in the lines, which will make the pedal soft, not hard. Check the booster. The booster serves to amplify the pedal effort applied by your foot. If the booster isn't working, you have no amplification, which means the pedal feels hard, since your foot is having to do all of the work. At least, that's the way I see it.
Check for a restricted or kinked vacuum line going to the brake booster.

Steve
© CEG Archives