Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: shanedman using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/26/03 09:30 PM
i have a 99 contour se with the 2.5L duratec. i am using 3 to 4 quarts a week. the car is not smoking and it is not leaking a drop. i have a rattle when it starts and when you accelerate . it sounds like the valve train . any ideas where oil is going .
Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/26/03 09:57 PM
It either leaks out or burns. No place else for it to go. Gould be rings, valve guides. Need to do leak down test to determine cause.
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/26/03 10:01 PM
but its not possible for an engine to burn that much oil without any smoke. it doesnt run hot enough.
Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/26/03 10:44 PM
A working cat converter will burn up most oil in the exhaust with a lot of smoke. If the intake valve guides are leaking, the oil gets burnt in the combustion chamber and the rest the cat converter takes care of. However, the extra "fuel" , ie oil, will evebtually cause the cat to overheat and melt.

If if isn't burning, then it is leaking.
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/26/03 10:58 PM
yes i know that, but if this has been going for more than a week and a half, the cat would be shot by now. the brick would have shot out of the tailpipe so to speak. something else is going on. maybe its leaking onto the frame of the car?
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/26/03 11:01 PM
reason being is a cat is not designed to deal with that kind of emissions. thats a lot of oil. i would check your coolant, if you have oil in it, you have blown a head gasket. traditionally, when head gaskets go, the car emits gray or blue smoke and idles rough but i have heard of cases where there is no smoke, just a significant rise in the amount of oil needed in the engine.
Posted By: shanedman Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/26/03 11:01 PM
well maybe it is valve guides and thats where my rattle is coming from. it just blows my mind that it uses that much oil. i have been all underneath it and there is not even a moist spot . the car only has 46000 miles on it. i have followed my wife to watch for any smoke and had her drive it hard and nothing . that is why i am so baffled.
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/26/03 11:09 PM
well when an engine becomes low on oil things rattle like lifters, for example (they are in the valve train) its quite possible that you have had a head gasket go bye-bye. damn that oil has to be going somewhere, its not going back to the fuel tank as the fuel system is a one way system. hmm...
Post deleted by horseydug
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 12:12 AM
Contact me at my e-mail : contour_lover04@yahoo.com to discuss.
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 12:39 AM
Re your rattle on start-up. Read FAQ - Common Problems from the home page. Also miles/week would be of interest, although I presume under 1k.
Posted By: 99SE_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 02:48 AM
I have found that the 2.5's tend to leak around the timing cover. the oil leaks onto the right side crossmember near the lower control arm and puddles up in that area. It mixes with the road dirt and just clings to the frame .. but 3-4 qts would be hard to miss. pull your spark plugs and examine the electrodes to see if you are burning oil
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 02:59 AM
i can gauruntee that he is...but my question is if its not smoking, why. i still think he should check his coolant for oil.
Posted By: 99SE_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 03:15 AM
Originally posted by shanedman:
i have a rattle when it starts and when you accelerate . it sounds like the valve train .

Pulling the spark plugs can tell 2 different stories... although he is not smoking, I have seen where oil was leaking into the combustion area and fouling out the plugs without smoking... the engines would run with a miss and tend to rattle from the lack of spark. I did not catch if shanedman mentioned how the engine feels... if it runs rough or smooth.
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 03:28 AM
you have seen it? i dont think thats possible...when that much oil burns, there is smoke. end of story. i would believe a teaspoon a day not causing any smoke...but 3-4 quarts per week, from a 6cyl? (especially one as small as a 2.5L) no...if it is burning that much oil inside the engine, there has to be smoke...simple as that. now if it is leaking onto the block somewhere and then burning off, then it will smell funny but no smoke.

heres what you should do, drive the car around the block. dont drive like an ass, just do normal everyday driving. when you get home, get out and open the hood. look for fresh oil. also sniff around for an oil smell. then LET IT COOL FIRST! and get down by the tailpipe and run you index finger along the inside of the tailpipe. if it comes out oily, or with excessive soot, you are burning the oil in the chamber and attention should be paid.

but again, i do not think its pssible to burn that much oil, and not get smoke or at least a smell. and by now, his cat would be toast, so it should be smoking. it is my opinion, that you have blown a head gasket. but even that should emit a blue/black smoke. coolant burns white. oil burns blue/black, so when you blow a head gasket, oil and coolant mix together in the cobustion chamber and burn. and presto...blue smoke is created.

not to be a jerk or anything, i just dont think its possible.
Posted By: 99SE_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Zippy_Zetec:
you have seen it? i dont think thats possible...when that much oil burns, there is smoke. end of story.

You are correct about 3-4qts and no smoke but we are here to help give a direction for a repair. By pulling the plugs he could check for oil burning. but he also needs to check externally which I agree with you on... hard to say that he has a blown head gasket. Usually you either get oil/coolant into the combustion chamber (smoke), or just coolant but have overheating concerns, maybe running hotter than normal and have to replace the coolant, or oil leaks out externally around head/block mating surface which should be visable at the rate it is disappearing. I dont think you are being a jerk or anything though... you have your experiences and I have mine
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 04:00 AM
yes thats true, he should pull the plugs but i can just about gauruntee they will be coated in oil...but where the Hell is it going? this is baffling me...
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 04:01 AM
no i have blown 2 head gaskets and driven with both blown for 2 weeks and never overheated...but thats just me.
Posted By: 99SE_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 04:09 AM
usually isnt always....lol... maybe he needs a brighter flashlight
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 04:32 AM
hahaha. no ya know, i think its leaking onto the block and burning......its the only thing that makes sense.
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/27/03 08:30 PM
ok PM me and i will tell you the solution to your prob.
Posted By: Apu Nahasapeemapetil Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/28/03 11:44 PM
Mine leaks a Quart a week and there is smoke. I was also told that the seals were leaking. What is the level of difficulty and time involved to fix the seals?
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/29/03 03:23 AM
it depends on which seals they are...if ithey are valve cover seals. not much, head gasket...a little longer and difficult, piston rigs...PITA and there are other seals to...degree of difficulty depends on which seal it is.
Posted By: Drumbo_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/30/03 09:01 PM
you have seen it? i dont think thats possible...when that much oil burns, there is smoke. end of story. i would believe a teaspoon a day not causing any smoke...but 3-4 quarts per week, from a 6cyl? (especially one as small as a 2.5L) no...if it is burning that much oil inside the engine, there has to be smoke...simple as that. now if it is leaking onto the block somewhere and then burning off, then it will smell funny but no smoke.

heres what you should do, drive the car around the block. dont drive like an ass, just do normal everyday driving. when you get home, get out and open the hood. look for fresh oil. also sniff around for an oil smell. then LET IT COOL FIRST! and get down by the tailpipe and run you index finger along the inside of the tailpipe. if it comes out oily, or with excessive soot, you are burning the oil in the chamber and attention should be paid.

but again, i do not think its pssible to burn that much oil, and not get smoke or at least a smell. and by now, his cat would be toast, so it should be smoking. it is my opinion, that you have blown a head gasket. but even that should emit a blue/black smoke. coolant burns white. oil burns blue/black, so when you blow a head gasket, oil and coolant mix together in the cobustion chamber and burn. and presto...blue smoke is created.

This time we're on the same side of the aisle, Zippy. Hemmoraging that much oil would either create a smoke plume that would make the road behind the car impassable and/or asphixiate everyone in the cabin, or leave a small oil-field under the car.

Something stinks ... and it doesn't smell like burning oil.

Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 09/30/03 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Drumbo:

This time we're on the same side of the aisle, Zippy. Hemmoraging that much oil would either create a smoke plume that would make the road behind the car impassable and/or asphixiate everyone in the cabin, or leave a small oil-field under the car.

well when i blew my block heater out of the engine, i was burning 3-4 quarts of coolant every 15 miutes... and i was 500 miles from home, so guess what i had to do...drive 5 miles, put a gallon in then drive 5 more miles and do it again. and iwas in the desert too, so it didnt help any...but anyway, point of the story is that there was smoke while all this was going on. im not saying the guy/girl is lying...but he/she might be exaggerating the prob a little...either that or he/she does not kno the extent of the damage. since we have not heard form this individual for a few days, i would venture to say they have sought professional help...(you can take that whichever way you want to )
Posted By: Drumbo_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 10/01/03 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Drumbo:

well when i blew my block heater out of the engine, i was burning 3-4 quarts of coolant every 15 miutes... and i was 500 miles from home, so guess what i had to do...drive 5 miles, put a gallon in then drive 5 more miles and do it again. and iwas in the desert too, so it didnt help any...but anyway, point of the story is that there was smoke while all this was going on. im not saying the guy/girl is lying...but he/she might be exaggerating the prob a little...either that or he/she does not kno the extent of the damage. since we have not heard form this individual for a few days, i would venture to say they have sought professional help...(you can take that whichever way you want to )

Word.

Forget the "curious" lack of visual evidence. As a practical matter, I can't imagine how it would be possible to even drive a car in that condition week in, week out.
Posted By: Champagne96GL Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 10/01/03 11:18 PM
Whats your Coolant look/smell like? Not as likey but check it so see, also how long has this been goin on?
Posted By: Drumbo_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 10/02/03 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Champagne96GL:
Whats your Coolant look/smell like? Not as likey but check it so see, also how long has this been goin on?

If 4-5 qts of oil per week are dumping into the coolant, the coolant would pretty much look like oil ... until the cooling system exploded.

Dude, we're being zoomed! This poster is a prankster.
Posted By: Champagne96GL Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 10/02/03 12:58 AM
yeah thats why I said it not likely, but yeah that seems to be the case, he seems to be a troll
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 10/02/03 01:13 AM
guys maybe he just got the help he needed from a mechanic and has forgotten to repost...some of you guys are real mean...
Posted By: Champagne96GL Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 10/02/03 01:33 AM
We could be wrong, but we could be right, who knows till he posts again
Posted By: Drumbo_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 10/03/03 08:32 PM
guys maybe he just got the help he needed from a mechanic and has forgotten to repost...some of you guys are real mean...

Not mean. Just current on the laws of physics. Calling the poster a "prankster" was quite ... uh ... diplomatic.

Let's hope he/she got some kind of help.
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 10/03/03 08:42 PM
i was not nessecarily referring to you drumbo...
Posted By: Drumbo_dup1 Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 10/04/03 01:37 AM
i was not nessecarily referring to you drumbo...

I realize that. Didn't take it that way.

Just meant that none of us who suspect we're being zoomed by the 5-qt loser is being too harsh in our posts.
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: using 3 to 4 quarts a week - 10/04/03 05:22 AM
lol... 5 quarts a week into the coolant. hm, i think i would notice green coolant turning up BLACK! If someone were dumb enough to run a car with 5 quarts a week and not notice a black coolant reservoir, they dont deserve to own a car.

post less
© CEG Archives