Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Mod-deth Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/11/03 04:27 PM
My rear doors have been creaking...embarassingly loud for 2 years now. I think a combination of MI winters, heat extremes, and a sh*tty design have all played a part.

Like a lot of us...I sprayed the hinges down with WD-40. Works for a day..then "Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeak."

So...after using PB Blaster to remove/install new springs/struts/control arms on my 535i, I took the can and sprayed down the hinges, but this time I took the little red tube...jammed it into the rubber boot on the door side of the door where the arm goes in to keep the doors open, and let it rip until fluid was leaking out of the little boot. Did both on top and underneath the little arm going into the door.

Result: No more squeaking or creaking!! Its been 3 weeks now. So even if I have to repeat say once a month...that's good for me.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/11/03 04:31 PM
I got rid of my sqeaks by dabbing a thin film of Vasoline on the thing. Been working fine since March.
Posted By: 00ContourSE_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/11/03 04:43 PM
A little spritz of white lithium grease in all the right places works fine for me.

THE CAR, THE CAR!!!

you sick bastidges!!
Posted By: ibub_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/11/03 05:03 PM
the sprays are ok for short-term fix, but you should apply a heavy grease for long-term cure. seems to be needed most on that horizontal hinged piece.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/11/03 07:02 PM
Originally posted by 00ContourSE:
A little spritz of white lithium grease in all the right places works fine for me.

THE CAR, THE CAR!!!

you sick bastidges!!

Too much sugar today???
Posted By: MyCaiNsBroK3N Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/11/03 07:07 PM
motor oil, worked since march or so (royal purple BTW)
Posted By: dbbubba Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/11/03 10:12 PM
I kinda' LIKED that SKREEEEEEEEEEEK sound!
It seemed to say, "Cheap Ford product!"

I guess that I didn't like it that much though...
I hit it with plenty of lithim grease.
I tried the WD40 fix once....lasted a few days.

Danny Brown
Posted By: stickyjazz Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/12/03 01:58 AM
wd40 or motor oil is way to thin for the door hinges from hell. Mine do the same shrieking and sometimes it is embarassing.

gotta use thick whie grease...even spray on white grease is not as good as a tube
Posted By: dbird_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/12/03 02:10 AM
WD-40 is only a solvent.. it will break down the dried up grease that is on the object.. that is why it last for a day or so.. you spray some WD-40 on and it cuts the grease that is already there... you gotta clean off all the old grease and put some new grease on.... just something to think about.. with WD-40
Posted By: TronX Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/12/03 02:34 AM
Wd-40 is more of a greaser and cleaner. I use gun oil.
Posted By: TsaiShen_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/12/03 01:13 PM
Holy Crap - I thought I was the only one that had this problem. You shut the door, you get the creak and windows shatter thru out the neighbourhood....dogs barking... I was beginning to think that 'tour had been in an accident before I bought it....

Good to know though...

White Grease!! 8 months plus...but starting to get stiff again...will need another application soon....

...and that last sentence didn't sound too good!
Posted By: MyCaiNsBroK3N Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/12/03 02:47 PM
lol
Posted By: Kennard_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 09/12/03 04:43 PM
Originally posted by TronX:
Wd-40 is more of a greaser and cleaner. I use gun oil.

Actually, (I hate to sound like a know it all) WD-40 means="Water Dispacement formula number 40" It's original use was to displace water, and it took the inventor 39 perevious tries until he got it right. So it is not now, and never was meant to be a general lubricant, although it does work in that manner for a short time. It was meant to get rid of water, then pretty much go away. Which is why it lasts for a couple days only on door hinges and the like. White lithium grease is meant to lubricate, and stay on the part it's applied to so it can continue to lubricate.
Posted By: Oo.et.oO_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 11/25/03 08:07 PM
so i have this problem and have tried EVERYthing.

the best fix i found was heavy grease like you'd use in CV joints. i'm actually using red lubro-moly. it's synthetic.

so it doesn't squeak but both back doors are incredibly hard to open.

i also have a weird problem where sometimes the passenger side doesn't open from the inside. even when the child lock is off.

i think i have to take these doors apart altogether and lube them up. but i'll wait until i put in new speakers...
Posted By: LBVSVT_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 11/25/03 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Oo.et.oO:
so i have this problem and have tried EVERYthing.

i also have a weird problem where sometimes the passenger side doesn't open from the inside. even when the child lock is off.

I've got the same thing ... weird!
Posted By: chromedsvt Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 11/25/03 09:49 PM
I used some lithium grease, which was better than WD40. lasted me about a week instead of two days
Posted By: dbird_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 11/26/03 12:36 AM
use some rubbing alcohol and wipe off the old grease..its full of dirt.. did it to mine and then put the white lithium grease on and it fixed it.. you have to get into there and remove the old grease and put some new grease on a cotton swab and wipe in in there real good.. close the door a few times and put some more on and then open and close it to get the grease moving around...
hope this helps.
Posted By: mattmatt Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 11/26/03 07:21 PM
heh, same problem on our 2000..i'll try the above mentioned, i was starting to get very annoyed at that loud sound especially when trying to sneak a few friends home to their wives drunk i swear that creeking is that loud!
Posted By: GrnSVTour00 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 11/26/03 10:36 PM
hah....this is just too funny. my svt, of course, has the same ANNOYING noises!!! i swear this car makes more noises than my old 99 neon did!! but it's faster, so i guess that counts for something!!
Posted By: crusinmercury Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 11/27/03 01:30 AM
Originally posted by GrnSVTour00:
hah....this is just too funny. my svt, of course, has the same ANNOYING noises!!! i swear this car makes more noises than my old 99 neon did!! but it's faster, so i guess that counts for something!!

lol
Posted By: WA2FAST_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 12/11/03 08:10 PM
Oh man, my rear drivers side door is driving me NUTZ! I was ready to just rip the damn thing off and drive it jeep style cause it's so annoying. And for some wierd reason, it suprises me every time like I didn't know it was going to happen I use that damn door at least 4 times a day (briefcase in the car in the morning, then out at work : back in after work, out at home). Every time, It catches me by suprise, not that itss going to squeak something terrible, but because its so damn loud!

I am going to do some grease today when I get home and see how that goes. Any tips on how to get 'in' the door... where the bar goes? Or do you just have to put it right on the edge and just work it in there by opening and closing the door a million times?
Posted By: gearhead_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 12/11/03 08:41 PM
Here's what I use for the creaky door syndrome. It seems to work just fine. I cut and pasted the following from the DuPont Krytox website:

Don't take chances with other lubricants.
Krytox® oils and greases provide superior performance and extended life as lubricants, sealants, and dielectrics featuring these benefits:

* Environmentally safe and trusted
* Available worldwide
* Chemically inert
* ISO-9002 certified
* Long-term wear resistance
* No oxidation or degradation
* Superior lubricity
* Compatible with all metals, elastomers, and plastics
* Compatible with oxygen and chlorine
* Thermally stable over a wide range of temperatures
* Chemically resistant in all environments
* Improved performance, extending life of all components and manufacturer warranties.

I can get it at work, so not to sure about the cost, but it goes on great and seems to be holding up really well.......3 Mos. +

Update.....I just found a 1/2 oz. tube(that's the size I have) for sale on eBay for $12.95.
Posted By: WA2FAST_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 12/12/03 01:43 PM
Haha, DuPont, my company! I get so cought up with my department and devision sometimes that I don't even think to look at different company devisions for products. Even working at DuPont, they discount pretty much nothing that they produce anyway, but it will be worth it to at least check into it. Thanx for the info! I wonder where you can buy this stuff other than ebay...
Posted By: MarkO_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 12/12/03 02:19 PM
Krytox ! I use that stuff at work on vacuum seals (just a little, mind) It's good stuff.
Posted By: tw0wheelin_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 12/12/03 03:51 PM
I used some anti-seize grease on the little slider bar thing on the door and it's been quiet for months. Use a toothpick to push a little inside the door. May want to close the door slightly to give the toothpick a little more room. Put it on heavy and work it back and forth till the squeak is gone and then wipe up the excess. Also hit the hinges with some silicone spray lube.
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 12/12/03 04:41 PM
the best thing for the squeaky door syndrome is to go to a model store and get moly grease it stays there for frickin every i put it on the rear passenger two something years ago and it still dont squeak
Posted By: 99SVT_dup1 Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 12/15/03 04:20 AM
I used some stuff, I think it was called Bar and Chain Grease or something, it was REALLY thick stuff. I don't think it will be wearing off anytime soon. I've been good for like 3 months and my doors swing open and close sooo easy now.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 12/15/03 05:16 AM
white lithium,, every few months.
Posted By: Nemomty Re: Creaky Rear Door Syndrome... - 12/16/03 11:30 PM
I used paintball gun oil like three months ago. Worked like a charm.

© CEG Archives