Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: trujap_dup1 Grinding sound? - 04/18/03 03:41 PM
I've SEARCHED it already and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem, so i'm going to ask it right now!
I'm getting this grinding sound from I think the clutch when it's almost at it's release point. It happens only when I start up from a stand still. It doesn't seem to be so serious becuase I'm still able to drive around it's just a get that weird sound when fully stopped and then engaged!
Any thoughts would be appricated thanks.
Posted By: trujap_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/18/03 10:43 PM
Can anyone help me out there?
Posted By: TGO Re: Grinding sound? - 04/18/03 11:50 PM
Is it really grinding? Often, you get some sort of feedback from the shifter when you're grinding gears. Maybe you're experiencing gear roolover? I tend to get a chattering if I bog the engine. If you could elaborate som emore on the problem it would help.
Posted By: trujap_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/19/03 12:09 AM
When I come to a full stop and then move it only makes a grinding sound. The grinding sound comes when i engage the clutch at it's friction point, so pretty much when the car starts to move forward. It only does it from first to go and it does it all the time lately. I dont really notice anything bad with the car. However I do have about 165K on the car so I'm thinking it might be the clutch that's about to let loose one day. The sound is almost like grinding of something but I have no idea what it it. The sound is coming from around the feet area not the shifter at all!
If you need anymore info let me know thanks TheGreatOne
Posted By: Gerald_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/19/03 12:52 AM
Is it a metallic rattling sound? If so, what kind of gas are you using?
Posted By: trujap_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/19/03 02:33 AM
Hm... metalics I dont really know what your saying. I'm just using regular gas.
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Grinding sound? - 04/20/03 05:21 AM
i sounds like it has nothing to do with the clutch, check your bearings, CV joints Etc...also, u may have totaly fukced your first gear.
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Grinding sound? - 04/20/03 05:23 AM
o wait i just realized what it is...sounds a lot like a bad throw out bearing...
Posted By: trujap_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/20/03 07:39 AM
what's the throw out bearing?? Is it really serious or not really?
Posted By: Vroooom_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/20/03 02:33 PM
My car does the exact same thing. It's not a sharp grinding, but obviously coming from the front end. I've sort of assumed that it was the throwout bearing, and am budgeting for a a new clutch this year. When the noise gets worse it'll get fixed.

I now this isn't proactive car care, but I am beeing pragmatic. Money is tight.
Posted By: TGO Re: Grinding sound? - 04/20/03 04:10 PM
i've heard of throwout bearings making a whining noise, but not grinding.
Posted By: Vroooom_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/20/03 05:55 PM
The sound is related to my foot coming off the clutch. I am not too worried at this point.
Posted By: trujap_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 01:06 AM
Should I be worried my car wont move anymore?
Posted By: TGO Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 02:20 AM
Now that sounds bad. This happened to slimshady, basically his clutch disc broke off the inner disc or something. Made a bad grinding noise and then that was it, couldn't get the car into gear anymore (no clutch).
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 04:16 AM
a throut bearing is what keeps your engine from blowing when you blowout the clutch...its a saftey thing...i really dont know alot about clutches, just know what they do when they go. my friend accidently put is 200 SVT in 3rd instead of 5th @ 80 and let up on the clutch...it was ugly.
Posted By: trujap_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 06:45 AM
So how do I know if it's getting worse? Is the sound going to get louder or am I going to lose the clutch like tomorrow? If thats the case should I replace the whole entire clutch assembly or is it going to be a couple of pieces?
Posted By: Pigeon Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 1fast95tour:
a throut bearing is what keeps your engine from blowing when you blowout the clutch...its a saftey thing...i really dont know alot about clutches, just know what they do when they go. my friend accidently put is 200 SVT in 3rd instead of 5th @ 80 and let up on the clutch...it was ugly.

If you don't know don't open your mouth and look like a dumbass...

See How Stuff Works on clutches for a good explanation.

Scott
Posted By: tw0wheelin_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 02:48 PM
With the mileage you have on the clutch and the sound mentioned, it seems like your getting clutch 'chatter' sometimes caused by worn or weak clutch hub springs. The throw-out bearings will usually make noise continuously while the clutch is presssed. Either way, these two parts are usually replaced together due to the labor involved.
Posted By: trujap_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 05:46 PM
So it's pretty much get a whole new clutch assembly as soon as possible eh?
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 06:18 PM
well usually you can keep it going by taking it in and having the clutch worked on. replacing the throw out bearing (about $300 including labor) is alot better than waiting till the clutch goes at which point an install could run over a grand. rplacing the trow bearing will keep it going a little longer, maybe 6 months, i would start saing up for that racing clutch if i were you...id say you only have a few weeks if you dont fix that throw out bearing.
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 06:23 PM
thank you for that scott. now on the other hand, ypou might be able to save your clutch if you have that bearing replaced NOW...ASAP!!!!, but it sounds like it might already be too late.
Posted By: Pigeon Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 06:27 PM
well usually you can keep it going by taking it in and having the clutch worked on. replacing the throw out bearing (about $300 including labor) is alot better than waiting till the clutch goes at which point an install could run over a grand. rplacing the trow bearing will keep it going a little longer, maybe 6 months, i would start saing up for that racing clutch if i were you...id say you only have a few weeks if you dont fix that throw out bearing.

All the cost is in labor, the clutch parts are relatively cheap (few hundred $$). Start saving now.

Scott
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 06:32 PM
i agree, scott. in the meantime, drive it gently!!!!
Posted By: trujap_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 06:55 PM
Ok then should I invest in a racing clutch or should I just go and get another factory clutch? What would the differnce in price be a couple hundred or a lot more than that. I'm a student so money is freaking hard on me. I just want the best for my car. It sounds like the car is hooped already, so i'll probably not drive it much and just atart saving for the clutch replacement right now. What do you guys think. Factory or aftermarket and if so what is everything that I have to replace???
Posted By: topgunz_1_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/21/03 07:23 PM
sounds like the clutch is going, probably the throwout bearing. I'd save up and get a new one soon. I'd either get an SVT one, or spend a bit and get a centerforce or one of those new ones that I think maybe SPMotorsports has...
Posted By: trujap_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/22/03 01:54 PM
is a svt clutch the same as a se?
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Grinding sound? - 04/22/03 03:46 PM
go with either centerforce or clutchmasters. the difference between a stock clutch and a racing clutch is only 100-200 dollars at most, so you should be able to do it. with clutches, the labor kills you. my triple plate racing clutch was only 479 from clutchmasters, i installed it myself.
Posted By: TGO Re: Grinding sound? - 04/22/03 03:54 PM
Simply replacing the throwout bearing is stupid. First of all, it's going to cost wel lover $300 to do that. They have ot pull the trans and That's going to be atleast $700 in labor alone - and that REALLY cheap. Even if his clutch is "fine" he should replace it. It'd be kinda dumb to spend a grand now on a throwout bearing, and then another grand 2 years from now when his clutch is gone as opposed to $1400 to get everything done in one shot.

Posted By: TsaiShen_dup1 Re: Grinding sound? - 04/22/03 04:23 PM
If it what I think it is....when you're pulling away slowly or the load is too much you hear a metallic rattling noise, and once the RPM's increase it dissappears....Gear Roll over.. Ford is aware of it and will do nothing as they say there is no issue, as it causes no damage.

What I did to quiet the rattle is to change the tranny fluid. After changing it, it was hardly noticable. Very very quiet....

I would change the fluid before investigating new clutches...

The first reply you received is correct as far as I'm concerned
© CEG Archives