Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Fuel Pump???? - 04/07/03 06:20 PM
Sometimes at start-up on my 96 Contour I hear a clicking sound comming from the rear passenger side of the car. This will laast for 20 seconds or so and then stop. I am wondering if this could be the fuel pump? It happens at all levels of fuel from full to near empty and has been doing so for a couple of years now . Is this a precursor to a fuel pump failure or could it be caused by something else? BTW I change the filter regularly so a cloged filter is out of the question.
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/07/03 06:28 PM
Yes, the pump is underneat the back bench seats...Well for the duratech...n-e-ways, clicking sounds like your fuel pump, are you having any problems with your fuel gague too?? I must warn you, if you go to the dealer (like i ahd to) it will cost you about 250 brand new....and thats for a new pump and fuel level sensor...for my SVT (1999 returnless system) thats the only way they come, I believe 1998 with return fuel systems can get the parts seperatly.

Roz
Posted By: The Davis Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/07/03 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
Yes, the pump is underneat the back bench seats...Well for the duratech...n-e-ways,

Zetec is too (just in case this is ever pulled up in a search and the info is needed).
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/07/03 06:46 PM
thanks....i wasn;t sure of the ztecs and i didn;t want to say something that was wrong.

Roz
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/07/03 08:39 PM
When key is turned to on before starting engine, one should normally hear what I would call a whirring noise from electric fuel pump for a few seconds as system is pressurized. Length of time will vary depending on how long car has been idle.

If this is what you're hearing then it is normal.
Posted By: Tribal Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/07/03 08:48 PM
Did your contour come with a power anttena? My Mystique Did and when the anttena quit going up or down I heard a clicking noise from the rear passenger side until I unhooked the power from the anttena.
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/08/03 01:26 AM
Originally posted by horseydug:
When key is turned to on before starting engine, one should normally hear what I would call a whirring noise from electric fuel pump for a few seconds as system is pressurized. Length of time will vary depending on how long car has been idle.

If this is what you're hearing then it is normal.

This is not a pressurizing noise this noise persists for the aformentioned 20 seconds after the car is started.

Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/08/03 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Tribal:
Did your contour come with a power anttena? My Mystique Did and when the anttena quit going up or down I heard a clicking noise from the rear passenger side until I unhooked the power from the anttena.

I do not have a power anteena.
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/08/03 11:29 PM
Re-reading your post I notice you said rear pass side. Have you confirmed noise location by listening with trunk open? Fuel pump is on driver's side.

Edit: Correction, pump location is under center hump of car.
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/09/03 12:30 AM
Re-reading your post I notice you said rear pass side. Have you confirmed noise location by listening with trunk open? Fuel pump is on driver's side.

I have not done this. What will having the trunk open do for me? The biggest problem diagnosing this is that it it intermitant. It doesn't happen all the time so I don't know when to have the trunk open.
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/09/03 01:10 AM
Idea is to stick head in and listen in order to better determine noise source, although sitting in back seat might also work. Didn't realize it's intermittent, which makes it more difficult to find.

Sorry, nothing coming to mind at the moment. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas to share.
Posted By: Static Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/09/03 01:41 AM
my fuel pump makes a whining noise... anybody know what thats about?
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/09/03 11:21 AM
Maybe it is on hte driver side, it sounds as though it is on the passenger side. I will try to locate it more accurately next time it happens. Would there be anything else located in that region of the car that could possibly cause this noise? It must be the pump.
Posted By: delmar_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/09/03 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SVTCANUK:
Maybe it is on hte driver side, it sounds as though it is on the passenger side. I will try to locate it more accurately next time it happens. Would there be anything else located in that region of the car that could possibly cause this noise? It must be the pump.

What about the exhaust? Small hole "clicking" a little when cold? Is the single exhaust on the driver or passenger side? Hmmmm...
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/09/03 01:09 PM
Originally posted by delmar:

What about the exhaust? Small hole "clicking" a little when cold? Is the single exhaust on the driver or passenger side? Hmmmm...

Driver Side.
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/11/03 11:46 AM
OK the noise is definitely coming from the pasenger side rear of he car. Either under the seat or trunk, it's hard to tell which, but definitely on the passenger side, any new ideas???
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/11/03 11:59 AM
Other than power antenna, which you do not have, there is no electrical device on that side of car. Only thing I can think of would be a noise generated by fuel vapour recovery system or filler tube. Possibly caused by pressure changes within the tank as the fuel system reaches operating status.
There is a check valve located at top of tank, pass side that could perhaps chatter during this period.

Long shot, but all I can offer.
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/11/03 01:20 PM
Thanks for the help, I may have to drive the car without the rear seat to further pinpoint the source of the noise. Something I have failed to mention is that the car does not idle properly when this happens and on occasion will stall, this is what draws me to the conclusion of the fuel pump. I hate intermitant problems, they should be outlawed .
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/11/03 06:54 PM
Well you could pull rear seat cushion up and loosen grommet from access hole on pass side of center hump, this would make any tank/pump noises more audible.
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/11/03 06:56 PM
Well you could pull rear seat cushion up and loosen grommet from access hole on pass side of center hump, this would make any tank/pump noises more audible.

I'm gonna have a look under there this weekend.
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/11/03 07:20 PM
If you can confirm noise is coming from pump then first I would do a search of fuel pump problems. There are two filters on pump pick-up that have been noted as being partially plugged by members, don't recall specific symptoms.
Also, access hole is just to remove electrical and fuel connections, tank has to be dropped to remove pump according to Ford manual. Haynes' manual shows extraction of pump thru' access hole. I don't know which is correct, but I do recall one member posted of enlarging hole to allow pump removal.

how-to

edit: link added.
Posted By: jthursby Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/11/03 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure if you have the newer type system you will have to enlarge the hole or drop the tank. (not fun I did it) I enlarged the hole while the tank was out and made a new cover and installed it with nutplates and stainless hardware.

Jim
Posted By: SVTCANUK_dup1 Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/11/03 09:56 PM
Originally posted by jthursby:
I'm pretty sure if you have the newer type system you will have to enlarge the hole or drop the tank. (not fun I did it) I enlarged the hole while the tank was out and made a new cover and installed it with nutplates and stainless hardware. Jim

This is on my 96, should I expect the same problems?

Posted By: jthursby Re: Fuel Pump???? - 04/17/03 03:26 AM
This is on my 96, should I expect the same problems?

Not really sure canuk, take out the lower back seat and remove the cover and take a look. You should be able to see if it will fit. If not DON'T drop the tank! Cut the hole bigger and then make a cover when you are done.

Jim

edit: end of quote added
© CEG Archives