Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: teksup95 BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 04:54 PM
I hope someone here can help with this. I have a 1999 Countour LX automatic. When I start from a stop, or very slow roll, the car hesitates and jerks terribly until it gets into gear, and then it's ok. It also happens when going up a hill. Has anyone else seen anything like this, and if so, what is the fix? PLEASE HELP!! Thanks.
Posted By: freezin my A-- off! Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 05:15 PM
it sounds like you have a linkage delay. try putting in neutral when u stop and then put it in gear when you need to go, that should get you to your dealer.
Posted By: TsaiShen_dup1 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 05:16 PM
I had a very similar problem. It can be a number of things, but it my situation, one of my spark plug leads was faulty... there is a easy way to check the leads with a long screw driver.

I think you place the screw in the socket, and turn the engine over, but make sure the screw drive is near something metal, that way you can see the spark if it is firing. ...then again I could be wrong...

Check the leads before you dig really deep. Start with the cheap items.

A faulty EGR valve can create similar symptoms.

Replace the fuel filter. Check the fuel pressure...
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 05:26 PM
Well....the fuel filter has never been replaced, and the car has 56k miles on it, so that may be a problem. I just replaced the spark plugs about 5k miles ago, so I doubt one of those has gone bad already. Do you think the fuel filter could be the problem?
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 05:30 PM
What plugs did you use? Did you replace the wires, too?
Posted By: TsaiShen_dup1 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 05:35 PM
Could be, and it may not be.... but for $10, it's an easy cheap fix attempt - and you said you haven't replaced it, so it's a good start.

One thing to keep in mind though, if it is a firing issue, where a cylinder isn't firing. This can potentially damage the CAT-Conv'....fuel from the mis-firing cylinder is ejected into the exhaust, which makes into CAT - causing it to burn there creating extreme heat in the CAT which can damage it.

So you may want to seek professional help soon.
Posted By: TsaiShen_dup1 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 05:40 PM
Another test which my mechanic did with me in the car was...

He placed the car in 1st....got in moving (slow speed) and then dropped it 4th...causing a real load difference on the car and he could hear a faint "popping" noise which he said was that the car was backfiring - but thru the air intake. Which meant 2 things....a cylinder isn't firing or its' running too lean.

But the other guy asked a good question - did you replace the wires?
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 06:05 PM
Yes, I did also replace the wires at that time. I used Champion spark plugs, if that makes a difference. It said they were pre-gapped, so I didn't do anything with them.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 06:16 PM
If they're not double platinum you may be experiencing premature wear. It happened to me while using splitfire plugs after about 7000 miles. I replaced them with Autolite 764PP plugs (basically the same plugs as OEM) and I haven't had any problems.

My hesitation happened at heavy load and 3000+ rpms, so I can't say for sure that yours is the same.
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 06:28 PM
I am almost certain they are the Champion double platinum plugs.
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/17/03 07:55 PM
Anyone else with any good ideas?
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/18/03 03:21 PM
UPDATE!

I changed out the fuel filter last night, and the problem seems to have significantly lessened. I can't say it's entirely gone, but it is a LOT less noticeable than it was. I only got to drive the car for about a minute after changing it, so it may not have had enough time to totally work itself out yet.

I could still feel a slight stumble when starting from a stop, and when going up an incline, but the car didn't feel as though it was going to DIE, like it did before.

If anyone else has any more comments/ideas, they are most certainly still welcome. Thanks for all the help thus far.
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/21/03 01:47 PM
Update to the update. Apparently the fuel filter didn't fix it as much as I thought. The car still exhibits the problem of stumbling, or jerking while taking off from a stop, going up hill, and as I found out last night, on the freeway at higher speeds. Anyone with any more thoughts? I am thinking fuel pump, but I REALLY hope that's not it....
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/21/03 02:14 PM
Well, if its not plugs and wires, the other ignition variable is the coil pack... That would be easier to change than a fuel pump, but if it doesn't fix it you're back to square one.

Usually fuel pumps that are dying show symptoms when they really have to work a lot harder. This is most evident when the tank gets closer to empty and/or at high load. You seem to be experiencing the opposite, but then again crazier things have happened.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/21/03 04:34 PM
$ on plugs & wires. They are so sensitive in our cars. Get some Autolites or OEM Motorcraft pluds with FMS wires. Total=$70 and you'll have one less possility.
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/21/03 04:47 PM
Ok, well, I'll take a look at those tomorrow morning. I just changed the plugs and wires (albeit with cheap wires and Champion plugs) toward the end of last summer, as previously mentioned. What should I look for when taking the wires off, and pulling the plugs?
Posted By: ChriSVT_dup1 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/21/03 11:35 PM
If you can get a good look at them at night (while its dark) you may be able to see sparks coming thru the wires while the car is running. Once you get the wires off (shut off the car first!!), look for little white rings on the wire boots. This could be a sign of the spark coming thru and shorting on the engine block instead of lighting up the plug. Magnecore's website has a good set of pictures and a good description of this problem. Also look for corrosion on the connections. If you see any of these, the wires are bad. The plugs should be clean of oil and crust etc...

Also, check your vaccuum lines. If your car cant find gears easily and its stumbling goes away when you floor it at high rpm's this could be your problem too.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/27/03 08:17 PM
Well....took a look, and all of the spark plugs, wires, and the coil pack looks fine. I can't see any jumping sparks or anything. One thought, though, could this be a timing belt issue? The car has 56k on it, might I have to replace the belt?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/27/03 10:20 PM
DEAR GOD !!!! REPLACE THE BELT !!!!
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/27/03 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Tiger561:
DEAR GOD !!!! REPLACE THE BELT !!!!

why does he have to replace the belt? i have 77k on mine and havent done it... do i need to?
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/28/03 03:52 PM
You sounded pretty adamant about me replacing it. Any particular reason? Thanks
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/31/03 03:42 PM
Any reason at all. We were on the freeway last night, and the car jerked a few times just whie driving along to the point where I thought it was going to die. I really need to get this resolved....
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 03/31/03 11:41 PM
You really have to do something to start ruling out possibilities.

Get a fuel pressure guage, attach it to the Schraeder valve, mount it where you can see it, and drive around.

When you step on the gas it should go up from around 35 psi to 45 psi. If it does not the fuel pressure regulator may be going out. If it falls lower, the fuel pump or screen is probably the problem.

If the fuel pressure acts normal when the stumble occurs, then that's OK and look elsewhere.
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 04/03/03 03:29 AM
Well....I broke down and took the car to a shop yesterday. As it turns out, it was the MAF that was screwing things up.
Posted By: Mr. Ed_dup1 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 04/06/03 07:12 AM
what did they do to fix the [problem?
Posted By: teksup95 Re: BIG PROBLEMS!!! - 04/07/03 02:39 PM
Well....they replaced the MAF sensor. As an update, though, the problem still exists. Only once in a great while, and not as severely as before, but it still happens. The car, however, seems to have gotten it's pep back. It's not bogging and struggling to get up to speed any more.

I guess I'll be taking it back....
© CEG Archives