Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: KevinB_dup1 Wipers come on everytime car starts!!! - 03/16/03 02:36 AM
Hope someone can answer my question. My car wouldn't start one morning, so I got a jump and luckily made it to my mechanic, I say lucky because on the way there the car kept feeling like it was going to shut down. My mechanic told me that the alternator wasn't recharging the battery, it only had about 10 volts in it. He removed the alternator and informed me that it was my voltage regulator that was bad. He repaced it and the car started as usual, only problem now is that everytime I start my car the wipers flicker about twice across the windscreen. I remember my wipers doing that same thing whenever my battery was disconnected then reconnected, but for it to happen everytime I start my car seems wrong. Is it possible that my mechanic could have inadvertantly messed with some kind of sensor or connection. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why this might be happening.

Thanks
Kevin
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Wipers come on everytime car starts!!! - 03/16/03 02:59 AM
battery is dying I believe.
Posted By: m!key Re: Wipers come on everytime car starts!!! - 03/16/03 03:00 AM
yup. battery is in the sh*tter.
Guess it wouldn't hurt to put a different battery in there and see if that makes a difference. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks
I've put in a brand new battery, but the wipers keep coming on everytime the car starts. Has anyone ever had the experience of their wipers coming on the first time starting your car after disconnecting or replacing your battery. I distinctly remember last year, my wipers coming on twice, once when I had clean the poles, and again when I put in a new battery. So I just assumed that the wipers coming on was part of the process of the car's computer resetting itself. Can anyone corroborate if this is actually part of the resetting procedure or probably the result of some kind of short in my electrical system. With it happening everytime now, I'm assuming that it must definitely be some kind of short, maybe with the alternator, because that was the last thing that was fixed before this problem started happening. Any kind of advice or suggestion anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated, becase these wipers are literally driving me CRAZY.

Thanks
Kevin
that's not part of the computer resetting (atleast not my computer). May be a short, or the switch may be bad. If it is the switch, do not get a new one from autozone. they screwed up and i had to wait a week longer than I should have for my turn signal switch.
Maybe relevant, so could you post car details or place in your sig.
I added the specs to my signature. Hope that helps.
Your alt. is bad. Some thing hapened to a fellow CEG'er here in san diego. When we jumped his car and it was running off a weak battery the wippers were on and wouldn't go off. Replace the alt.

That is my very good guess, because we replaced his alt. and everything is fine.

Later,

Eric
Well with a '96 you always have to be aware of potential underhood wiring harness problems and the extended warranty applicable if strange problems develop.

wiring harness

Don't know if symptom applicable to your car but there was a TSB for '98 re car unable to start when w/w on. Reference:

www.alldata.com

Possibly relevant, probably not.

Edit: Wiring harness link added.
try the wiper relay under the sterring wheel
Check the voltage of the system while starting the engine. If it drops below 9 volts you either still have a battery problem or a wiring bug or a starter draw problem. It is dropping so low that it is triggering the intermitent wiper circuit.
Thanks alot for all those suggestions, I'll be sure to have the mechanic check them all out. My gut still tells me that its the alternator because the problem started when I picked up my car at the Alt repair shop. Thanks again, will let you guys know what the findings are.
Posted By: SlyDi Re: Wipers come on everytime car starts!!! - 04/13/03 10:49 AM
I have had this same problem with my 97 Mystique. My battery died and when I would boost the car the wipers would come on every time, put in a new battery and car has been good sence.
Posted By: KevinB_dup1 Re: Wipers:Here's the original post - 05/16/03 03:19 AM
Hi, its me again. We seemed to have narrowed my wiper problem to the alternator. The mechanic recently told me that when he was fixing my alternator that he noticed a 175 amp fuse leading to the alternator that was blown. He said that he bridged it with a copper wire (the white wire). My question now is, is there really a 175 amp fuse that leads to alternator and could that bridge be the cause of my wipers coming on. Possible Alternator Fuse

Thanks Kevin

Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Wipers:Here's the original post - 05/16/03 11:34 AM
Post by cowgod on 05/15 @ 11:45pm transferred from now deleted thread.

Originally posted by cowgod:
Bypassing any fuse is a very bad idea. Get that fuse replaced properly, even if it is not the cause of your problem. Your mechanic is a bonehead for bridging it.

Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Wipers:Here's the original post - 05/16/03 11:42 AM
Post by Rogerm60 05/16 @ 2:04am, transferred from now deleted thread.

Originally posted by Rogerm60:
Yes there is an alternator fuse.

The wiper problem is likely just from voltage fluxuation.

You need a complete starting and charging test.

In lieu of that, for now, check batery cables (both ends), distribution wiring by the battery, and grounds.

Bad wiring to the battery from the starter will cause a large voltage dip when cranking, and positive voltage spikes when turning accessories off. As the manuals now say not to run the car without a battery - and bad battery wiring is almost the same thing. You run the risk of burning up your electronics.

Originally posted by bozman:
try the wiper relay under the sterring wheel

My thought, exactly.

Recent experience with a different wiper problem (and a combination of archive info and current info, courtesy DemonSVT) led me to the R15 relay in the underdash drop-down panel. It's prone to sticking.

Pulling the relay, opening it up by decoupling the casing with multiple jeweler's screwdrivers, and giving it a real quick top and bottom spray with a dry-film lube (Amsoil MP, in my case) corrected the problem. The relay is good as gold -- well, copper -- again.
© CEG Archives