Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/29/03 02:43 AM
There is a misconception about what causes the main bearings to go in the V6. Terry E-mailed me his answer after reading a bunch of e-mails and posts about what causes it....He wasn't too thrilled...
Quote:

Subj: Tell the fools on CEG...
Date: 1/28/2003 9:13:32 AM Pacific Standard Time
To: rozwell911@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

This is the oil flow to the crak from the pump via the filter to the mail oil gallery to the crank MAIN BEARINGS FIRST...then from drillings in the crank to the rod ends...so whay do few MAIN BEATNGS FAIL and ONLY THE ROD ENDS IF THE ISSUE IS OIL STARVATION...the bloody main would go dry BEFORE the rod end!!!.The crank whip causes the crank to distort and get a 'sliver' of rod end material in the oil holeTHAT COMES FROM THE MAIN...blocks off the feed and the bearing spins...christ cant anyone read the lube circuit on an engine!!!..Fools ,all bloody fools!..TH (PS Have a nice day!)

I hope this somewhat answers questions..
Posted By: Eli_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/29/03 03:05 AM
in english please?
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/29/03 03:08 AM
I undersatnd what he is saying, but I can't really put it into words...maybe a Veteran can step in...like DemonSVT..hes good at explaining things.

Roz
Posted By: Art Hazebrook_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/29/03 03:22 AM
Originally posted by rozwell911:
I undersatnd what he is saying, but I can't really put it into words...maybe a Veteran can step in...like DemonSVT..hes good at explaining things.
Roz

Three letters are the key to unravelling this mystery...DMD!! That is unless you want to replace the sintered con-rods with something a little more substantial!!
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/29/03 03:50 AM
All he is saying is that if the rod bearing failure problem were from oil starvation that the main bearings should have failed first because they are closer to the pump.

He is suggesting that crank whip is more of the cause. I would also question the robustness (that seems to be a popular word from the factories today) of the rod bearings.
Posted By: holycowSVTpaul_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/29/03 04:01 AM
Terry is saying that if all the duratec engine failures where due to oil starvation (as originally perceived), the main bearings would fail first due to the fact that the mains are first in line in the oil path and would be starved first and fail first.

However, the Master has only seen con rod bearings fail (running counter to the oil starvation theory). Hence, the bearing failures are due to crank whip, not oil drain back issues.

Fools shall mock but the wicked will mourne.

Gea a DMD.
Posted By: holycowSVTpaul_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/29/03 04:03 AM
Gee Jim, you beat me by 10 mins. You responded while I was composing.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 01:26 AM
Holycowsvtpaul,
I'm just curious, are you saying that he is right or wrong?
I'm trying to interpret the emotion from the poetic phrasing and I am split on whether you are commending him or mocking him. I tend to get the feeling that you are agreeing with him and mocking him at the same time, but that is just me...if it the latter is correct, you don't need to respond but otherwise if I and others are getting the wrong impression you may want to straighten us out.
Oh, I just want you to know that I am not approving or disapproving of your post, I am just very curious.

warmonger
Posted By: 96RedSE5Sp_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 02:44 AM
Um...Does Terry drink? Seriously.
Posted By: Art Hazebrook_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 02:49 AM
Originally posted by 96RedSE5Sp:
Um...Does Terry drink? Seriously.

Yup...I think he drinks seriously...don't we all??? (drink that is...)
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 03:01 AM
Now I remember why I got a DMD, I'm a fool, my wife tells me that every other day. But a bloody fool????????? naw can't handle that!
I'll glad I did and I lost the harmonic type noise at turnpike speed. Whatever it was it's gone. Smooth and quite the entire rev band.
Paul
Posted By: holycowSVTpaul_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 03:35 AM
Come on buddy. I like Terry. I look forward to his words of wisdom. It must be my ex-Mormon upbringing. Since I am Agnostic now, (former Mormmon return missionary) my car is my idol and Terry is my prophet. And long live the car gods!

Its just a spoof on my former self. Lighten up.

And I was agreeing with Terry.
Posted By: m!key Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 03:37 AM
Originally posted by holycowSVTpaul:

I was agreeing with Terry.

who wouldnt agree with terry on anything having to do with these cars?
Posted By: holycowSVTpaul_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 03:49 AM
And my girlfriend can't understand either why I paid $138.00 for a thingy mado that goes on my car and does nothing. Good mod though. I gues you have to be a car nut to understand. That's why I come here.

A Bible, A bible, we got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible. Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.

Hence la rasion d'etre of CEG, Mon Bible!
Posted By: JaTo_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 03:54 AM
Just get a DMD.
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 04:33 AM
Doesn't the connecting rods put more pressure on the crank than the mains do ?

If the oil pressure would drop suddenly, wouldn't the centrifical forces on the rod mains,
cause the oil to be pulled off faster than it would leave the Main Bearings ?

I understand Terry's point, but the bearings don't seize immediately after the oil pressure drops.
It takes a few seconds for them to heat up to point where they melt.
Where the pressure is greatest, should be where heats up the fastest,
due to friction and pressure, and that would cause it to seize first.

Please correct me if my thinking is wrong.
Posted By: ScottK Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 07:38 AM
Another thing that I don't understand - oil is an incompressible fluid flowing through a solid (ie non swelling so there is no residual pressure from constriction after pumping stops) gallery, so when pressure drops at the pump wouln't the entire lube path stop flowing right then and there? In this case it seems like whatever component sheds oil first is going to seize, which following the logic of RoadRunner would seeem to be the rods.

I'm just a hack, but I know more knowledgable people like procyon and horse aren't total believers in the crank whip theory.

I guess the safest thing to do would be to take Dan Nixons philosophy and assume that all the suspected causes of spun bearings are potential killers

dmd for whip, extra 1/2qt for starvation, and if you have big bucks an accusump or even some clevite77 rod bearings.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 11:32 AM
I think the main point that Terry is trying make here is that there is no "oil starvation issue" that we all talk about. From reading his post and comments on the FCO, he feels that the crank is the weakest link in engine. He feels that due to a poorly designed crank, it is much more prone to harmonic induced failures. Hince the DMD is needed on the MTX's to absorbe this extra vibration in certain RPM bands. Terry stated that he saw a good number of cranks go prematurly in the engineering of the engine and was not happy with what he saw. Plus noone would agree with him, basically, to do anything about it.

He had stated several times on the FCO that out of all the 2.5's that he has rebuilt that had spun rod bearings, none of the failures were due to oil starvation across the crank. Hince the pluged gallery. The e-mail that "rozwell911" has posted above seems to be a reidaration of several post that he has made in the past on FCO.

I don't know guys, I am truely convienced both ways. We all know that if you have a MTX and use the car for anything more then buying groceries, it is a great idea to have a DMD. But at the sametime, there have been a few here that have melted bearings just like Terry is saying can't happen. The last time this came up, I think Horse got really upset becasue of his situation. DemonSVT seems to think there are oiling issues and who can argue with him. The guy knows a lot more about our cars then most of us combined.

I think we are mearly worrying about differences of opinion and like ScottK said, just assume that all the suspected causes of spun bearings are potential killers, cover your bases with that in mind and everything will be ok.

Just my two cents!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 01:55 PM
No problem man, I've got no beef with it either way. I just wanted to know because I wasn't sure how to take it. You know me a little from my writing by now, I like to joke, but I take writing very seriously most of the time unless it's an obvious joke.

...monger
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 04:41 PM
Im sorry if my original post is causeing so much Debate. Terry asked me to forward this e-mail so more poeple would understand. Even As we speak he is monitoring the responses that we write.

Terry knows exactly what causes Bearing failure, and i believe he just wanted to set a lot of "newbies" stright. And I don;t mean post count newbies, im tlaking about the ones that don;t know a clue of what there talking about.

He was just sick and tired of people give other wrong advise.

AS fo most of us here, I believe we all know its better to be safe that sorry, a DMD, accusump, and a little extra oil is all we need.

Im sorry if I cause so much trouble.

ROz

Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/30/03 05:14 PM
Im sorry if my original post is causeing so much Debate.

ROz

Don't be sorry.
Debating is the best way to learn.
We need more discussions on the aspects of why things do that they do,
so we can all understand the reasons why things happen they way they do,
and what we need to do as Contour Owners, to attempt to protect ourselves from the inevitable.

I believe that this is the whole reason why Contour.org was created.
To share our knowledge, thought processes, and experiences.

Why did my Contour burn up two trannies and no one else on this forum have the same problem as me?

Why does over 25% of the SVT Duratecs throw rods, yet the others don't?

Why do some Contours wear through the front wheel bearings, and others never have bearing problems?

We can't answer all of the problems, but sharing our experiences makes us more knowledgable
of the possibilities that these problems may exist, what the warning signs of the problems are, if any,
and how to deal with repairing these failures.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/31/03 02:13 AM
Originally posted by RoadRunner:

Don't be sorry.
Debating is the best way to learn.
We need more discussions on the aspects of why things do that they do,
so we can all understand the reasons why things happen they way they do,
and what we need to do as Contour Owners, to attempt to protect ourselves from the inevitable.

I believe that this is the whole reason why Contour.org was created.
To share our knowledge, thought processes, and experiences.

I could not agree more. It was not too long ago that I started coming here and there was a ton of discussions going on about all sorts of great stuff. Then all of a sudden, it became a big "No-No" to ask a question. Sure we need to research our problems for ourselves before pelting everyone with questions, but we really need more debates like this one.
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/31/03 02:41 AM
I basically got upset because I got the BONE from Ford- even though I knew a lot of people on the "inside"

lets just say that I think there are fundamental problems with the duratec but nothing that cant be solved by a bit of money-

heck look at Kinetics- if its such a crappy engine why do theirs rarely fail? The CRANK IS NOT THE PROBLEM as I understand it, Roush guys say its the oiling system and the rods, Kinetics only does one thing to the crank before its used in their engines- Nitride them- for an increased surface hardening. They will knife them if you want- but then the car becomes undrivable on the street- it needs a bit of mass to drive smoothly. The FoMoCo guys all say to get billit rods, the sintered ones fail easier than the billit ones, BMW is now having problems with theirs as well.

man if I had the money and I wanted a V6 Id definatly go with a duratec- one with Ti rods and valves, a REALLY built 3.0 or more engine with a red line north of 8K - or a TT setup like the noble- but not the MTX-75 POS. the Quaife sequential. but then again - I could just get another car-

BTW walking really SUX! I need a car
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 01/31/03 03:44 PM
the roush guys say its an oil problem...But personally i trust terry haines assestments...he may have a ton of trouble getting back to people, but his information is correct. Im mean, he help build and sesign the engine aspect of our cars...he has seen all of fords tests, and failures....He should know what the real problme is?

Thats just my opinion.

Roz
Posted By: unisys12 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/01/03 02:26 AM
Quotes from Terry on FCO about this topic...

Quote:

"This is crazy...a guy asked me about crank bearing failures re spun beariings...I gave him my take on the problem and he posted it on CEG...then they locked his post!!!....seems like that site has gone 'over the edge'...I'm flattered that the mention of my name drives them nuts!!!...how sweet its!!!"

Quote:

"One day that site will make the last vital connection between mounth and brain....until such time...who gives a damm!"

Quote:

"I just love to read the 'experts ' on the boards....I'm waiting for the 'install' of the underdrive alt pullies...now that will be joy to read about!!!"

Quote:

In response to a response from Cardoc about the pullies being worthless
"Nope its not that...I want to see them removing the old pulley from the alt!!!...oh joy...... "

Here is what I had to say about the whole thing...

Quote:

Terry,

I don't think the post that you are talking about got locked because it had your name in it. I can't tell you how many people actually take up for you over there (CEG!). So why would you think that Lance would lock the post simply because it had your name in it?

I am still new to all this and most of this whole story between everyone is all hear-say for me. I really don't give a crap what happened to who, why, when, where or anything else. I am just a fellow Contour/Mystique owner that really loves the crap out of his car and wants the best for it. I also would like to be around people that like to help others with there cars and share advice. That is how we learn!

Yes! I am a CEG'er... And yes! I do come here as well. But I cannot stand here and read this thread any longer without saying something about it. Just because I consider myself a CEG'er does not mean that I am stupid by any means and I resent the hell out of the fact that you would think so.

Like I said, I know there was a lot that happened between a bunch of people, but get over it. We are not street gangs! We are car lovers that have a car in common!

Not all of us can say that we were enginners for Ford. I work for Xerox and even though I am very well trained at what I do, there are times that I have to call enginners and ask them questions. Sure, I do tons of research before hand, but still the time will come when I have a software issue that I cannot resolve or an array malfunction in a circuit that I cannot seem to pin down. Though these are complex issues and very indepth when compared to the day to day activities that I am used to. Can you imagine the look on my face, or my customers, when the enginner on the phone tells me that he will not offer me any advice because I do not have a masters degree in Computer Science and Enginnering!

Just my 2 cents!

--------------------

This all sort of pisses me off! If Terry is so damn great, why in the hell does he have to give advice to someone, then look on to the post, run back to the FCO and make fun of everyone here? I know that some have said that he is very frustrated and all, but d@mn! This is useless crap and not productive at all. If he wants to set the record straight, then I think he can do that himself here and not go through other people. It is a shame that all this is going on!
Posted By: ScottK Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/01/03 02:42 AM
I caught what happened here - someone posted something about Terry being "such a friendly" guy. The mods probably didn't want a whole bunch of crap stirred up, so they locked the post, then I saw the post in question had been deleted and the post got unlocked.

Seems like they were just trying to avert a pissing match before it started.

--EDIT--

Never mind, looks like the posts I thought were cleaned up are still there, so it was just a temp locking for some reason or another???
Posted By: ScottK Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/01/03 03:08 AM
Originally posted by unisys12:
I work for Xerox and even though I am very well trained at what I do, there are times that I have to call enginners and ask them questions.

--TOTALLY OT--

Hey - I bet if you work on the DC265, 75 or any of the other variants you've talked with Jim Pacer. Those d@mn machines gave us so much trouble in the first couple of years!

If you ever run xero-setup through the gui that some of the code I put in there (not the gui stuff, the setup underneath)
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/01/03 06:49 AM
I talk to terry about once a week....the reason he left originally, from what I understand, was becasue of people didn;t seem like they wanted his advise. and anytime they asked for it they did the opposite and screw something up on there cars....he basically was sick of people not listening to him when he, I and everyone know(almost everyone) that he is probably the best singe sorce for infomation on our cars...

I don't balme him for leaving and i welcome his advise whole heartedly.

From a lot of the post i read, a lot of people on this site are not use to people giving advise tehy way terry does, he is very stright forward and blunt. And i can se how most people can take his words as an insult.

I just hope people lean to become more receptive to the knowledge of the wiser ones on this site. DemonSVT is one of them and he is also one of the few that I have the utmost respect for....Kremit too.....

Roz
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/01/03 08:34 AM
Kremit too.....

? Did I miss something, or did, like, Kremit jump WAYYYYYY up while I was busy sleeping?

(No offense, Kremit, just... you/I/most aren't revered as "DemonSVT"-like..

I wanna know what you did to get that way!

Else, that was sarcasm, and forget what I just said.

Ray
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/01/03 10:50 AM
Originally posted by ScottK:
I caught what happened here - someone posted something about Terry being "such a friendly" guy. The mods probably didn't want a whole bunch of crap stirred up, so they locked the post, then I saw the post in question had been deleted and the post got unlocked.

--EDIT--

Never mind, looks like the posts I thought were cleaned up are still there, so it was just a temp locking for some reason or another???

You've got it essentially correct but just to set the record straight and assuming it this is thread you are talking about.

Notwithstanding the inflammatory aspects contained in the email quoted in opening post I let the thread continue while bearings/oil starvation were the majority of a member's subsequent posts. When the posts started to turn to solely Terry Haines bashing/support, his sanity or lack thereof, his drinking habits or the correctness of his banning from CEG, I started to delete individual posts. Got fed up doing that and locked the thread.
Some members subsequently complained to Lance who unlocked the thread. After a few more inappropriate posts the thread got back on topic so I have let it remain unlocked and will use post deletion as appropriate to keep it on topic.

This is a Troubleshooting Forum for Contiques; not a Terry, Lance Kinley, CEG or FCO debating/bashing forum.

Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/02/03 02:11 AM
Originally posted by horseydug:
Originally posted by ScottK:

--EDIT--

You've got it essentially correct but just to set the record straight and assuming it this is thread you are talking about.

Notwithstanding the inflammatory aspects contained in the email quoted in opening post I let the thread continue while bearings/oil starvation were the majority of a member's subsequent posts. When the posts started to turn to solely Terry Haines bashing/support, his sanity or lack thereof, his drinking habits or the correctness of his banning from CEG, I started to delete individual posts. Got fed up doing that and locked the thread.
Some members subsequently complained to Lance who unlocked the thread. After a few more inappropriate posts the thread got back on topic so I have let it remain unlocked and will use post deletion as appropriate to keep it on topic.

This is a Troubleshooting Forum for Contiques; not a Terry, Lance Kinley, CEG or FCO debating/bashing forum.

This is understandable...I apologize to your personally if this postis causeing any contriversy....Thank you for keeping the post on topic and letting it saty open. In the future i will watch what I quote on this site so a similar situation does not happen and you don;t ahve to work over time on this or any posts.

Again my apologizes.

Best regards,
Roz
Posted By: svtkev Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/02/03 02:30 AM
Quote:

Tell the fools on CEG...

A piece of advice is just that. If you offer it to someone and they dont use it then too bad for them. No need to bash the whole site. Sounds like a jerk to me.Usually the people that MIGHT be 1 percent smarter than the rest deduct 10 percent of that knowledge with arrogance
Posted By: ScottK Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/02/03 03:01 AM
Sorry to turn this post into a Terry post rather than a contour post, but....

Just to put things in perspective - a while back I was having an issue with the car. I got some advice here on the boards - and then a couple of days later I got some really good advice in a personal Email from Terry.

I've argued with Terry a lot in the past about the DMD, and he recognized my screen name and knew that I was basicly a pain in the ass in every DMD thread he started, but he still took the time to send me some really good advice.

I'll admit he is somewhat "gruffer" in a lot of posts than I'm used to dealing with, but I've worked with other engineers that had even less social skills than that - I think there may be an inverse relationship between people skills and engineering ability
Posted By: unisys12 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/02/03 03:36 AM
Just to make this part of my message short and sweet, I would have to agree to the fact that I think Terry's advice is truely needed and welcome across both boards.

I actually drove with more confidence last night after reading his e-mail and other messages on FCO on the topic of the oiling issue, or lack there of despite all the other garbage that got started.

On to topic at hand...

So correct me if I am wrong, but here is where we stand...

1)The new style Duratec oil pan is a waste. Terry has actually stated that it is more of a downgrade because of the timing chain baffle.
2)Spun rod bearings have not been proven to be caused by a overall design flaw in the oil distribution throughout the Duratec.
3) Crank whip seems to be the major contributing factor in the spun rod bearing issue.

A question I would like to ask about number 3. Could this be why some of the racing teams use the better material for there connecting rods? Couldn't the material, which is of better quality and strength, absorbe some of these harmonic vibrations that we are talking about with the use of the DMD. This is not to say that if you use better connecting rods, you don't have to use the DMD or vice versa, just trying to understand things for myself.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/02/03 05:11 AM
I'm sure they use better rods and better rod bearings. The Clevite 77 bearings are a huge improvement over the stock bearings.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/02/03 05:58 AM
Well, I guess I'll throw my $0.02 here.

Terry is certainly right, that the typical failure mode is in the rod end bearings. I do think there are a couple of inherent issues issues that lead to it though. Primarily is exactly as terry has described it, crank whip allows the bearing to "wipe" which distorts the surface layer of the bearing, which blocks/partially blocks the oiling hole in the bearing, which ultimately leads to the failure of the rod bearing. The secondary part of the equation here is the oiling system. When oil pressure drops off (when the pump can't pick up any more oil, even before the rest of the system runs dry, pressure starts to drop off) it makes the bearing more susceptible to crank whip (less oil pressure to maintain the oil film lubricating the bearing) because when the crank whips (flexes) it can increase the pressure loading on the bearing tremendously, forcing the oil out from in between the crank journal and the rod bearing, causing the wiped bearing, leading to the failure.

Basically, crank whip is the major issue, and the oiling stuff can simply help it along faster.

As far as Terry, he is certainly a capable engineer, and is capable of performing excellent work on his customer's vehicles. Where I feel Terry is lacking, is in "people skills", which makes misunderstandings too easy and common, leading to a lot of bad blood where none needed to be. As an example, I'm pretty sure Terry hates me because he chose to misintrepret some of my words/actions when he had a disagreement w/ a customer here on the forums, and I was forced to step in to do my job as an admin.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/02/03 06:01 AM
A couple of things:

Terry knows what he's talking about. Period. His advice is invaluable to all of us, is right almost 99% percent of the time, and is delivered any which way he feels like dishing it out at the time. He's helped me and plenty of other CEG'ers out on many questions, and if he's questioning the oil starvation issue, that's fair.

I run it safe, fill her up to 6qt's, and have a DMD. I bought the windage oil pan, but after Terry mentioned it seems to cause foaming, I didn't install it.

I haven't had an engine failure yet, but I'm at 48K after 6 yrs of spirited driving. If and when it happens, believe you me, I'll get upgraded bearings for the 3L I'd drop in, along with some 3L pistons/valves and cunnigham rods.

As for now, where do we get those clevite 77 bearings??

Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/03/03 12:28 AM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
A couple of things:

As for now, where do we get those clevite 77 bearings??

Ask Terry. He is the one who told us that they were available.
Posted By: m!key Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/03/03 01:43 AM
terry was the greatest thing to happen to this board. he isnt right 99% of the time he is right all the time. it is too bad that a couple of people ran him off of this site and the rest have to suffer for it. i would like to thank the administrators at www.fordcontour.org for giving terry his own forum to help us out and answer all of our questions. hopefully someday he can make it back to the ceg and hopefully someday the ceg can appologize for the things they did.
Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/04/03 08:17 AM
anyone who needs his advice can go to fco and ask...actually i like the idea that he has his own forum, prolly shoulda been the same here...they are doing right by him on that site

that being said, in my opinion he treated at least some people as bad as a typical ford service person many times...maybe he didn't mean to come off wrong, but on the internet its difficult to judge a persons feelings or attitude since u aren't face to face or hearing their voice...the maternal side of a highschool friends family was british and while they were at times very gruff (his g'ma in particular) they were very very wonderful people face to face...maybe that is also the case with terry as many have mentioned how nice and personable he is..also, i seem to remember him having been quite a hit according to those who went to sz

im sure his expertise is valuable but many act like their car wouldn't even run if terry didn't give advice...he's been gone from here for months and new problems crop up everyday...and are taken care of suggestion-wise by some of the same people he tried to make fun of in that post on fco...i think the sucess rate here is still pretty good...someone in a post just the other day mentioned how this site is much more helpful than other (not necessarily contour) sites are in his opinion

but he played a very big part in his leaving this site and to say that ceg is solely to blame and ceg (whether its meant as us members or the hierarchy or both) hopefully someday will appologize is pretty one-sided...it cuts both ways...

others say it and i'll take their word for it that terry's a righteous dude...basically a few very bad nites online hurt him here

i have opinions about both sites good and bad and i wish it were a more friendly rivalry....ceg is very good and keeps me from visiting other sites on the web because i spend sooooo much time here...in many instances fco is better because it offers some really good insight on getting things done and the posts i found complete with instructions and pics that doc has put up are priceless...his info on the 3.0 install was better than almost anything i found here

y-o-y cant we all get along

now a question:...why does it seem that the later model duratecs seem to be the ones suffering the engine problems moreso than the older models? maybe im not thinking correctly right now, but for all the quirks the older contiques seem to age better...was there anything that was changed about the engine over the yrs???
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/04/03 01:00 PM
Originally posted by unisys12:
3) Crank whip seems to be the major contributing factor in the spun rod bearing issue.

A question I would like to ask about number 3. Could this be why some of the racing teams use the better material for there connecting rods?

Generally, higher-strength rods are used primarily for their ability to withstand RPM's. I don't know if rod strength would have any effect on crank whip. Just my $0.02.
Posted By: Captain Bart_dup1 Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/05/03 02:19 AM
There is a misconception about what causes the main bearings to go in the V6. Terry E-mailed me his answer after reading a bunch of e-mails and posts about what causes it....He wasn't too thrilled...
Quote:

From: To: <a href="mailto:rozwell911@aol.com">secondline@ameritech.net">secondline@ameritech.net</a>
To: <a href="mailto:rozwell911@aol.com

This is the oil flow to the crak from the pump via the filter to the mail oil gallery to the crank MAIN BEARINGS FIRST...then from drillings in the crank to the rod ends...so whay do few MAIN BEATNGS FAIL and ONLY THE ROD ENDS IF THE ISSUE IS OIL STARVATION...the bloody main would go dry BEFORE the rod end!!!.The crank whip causes the crank to distort and get a 'sliver' of rod end material in the oil holeTHAT COMES FROM THE MAIN...blocks off the feed and the bearing spins...christ cant anyone read the lube circuit on an engine!!!..Fools ,all bloody fools!..TH (PS Have a nice day!)

It seems to me that every one is trying to give a meaning to a message coming out from a random-word-generator!
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/05/03 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Captain Bart:
Quote:

From: To: <a href="mailto:rozwell911@aol.com">secondline@ameritech.net">secondline@ameritech.net</a>
To: <a href="mailto:rozwell911@aol.com

It seems to me that every one is trying to give a meaning to a message coming out from a random-word-generator!

Im not trying to insult you, or piss you off, but do you even know who Terry Haines is?? And if you do, do you understand where hes comming from??? And im not just talking about the post that is first did with his e-mail.
Im tlaking about his history with the Contour and with Ceg...from what I could tell it wasn;t very good and it wasn't because of the MOD's,people just didn;t seem to be intrested in his advise....and when they did, they did the exact oppsite.

And If you read further in the posts, you can see that many people explained what he was saying.

Im not sayign any of this to piss you off..Im just asking these questions trying to figure out if you really are a newbie or if your a regular...because i have come to find out Post counts don;t mean anything....And if you are a regualr then I respect your opinion because you have definatly seen more thani have.

Roz
Posted By: BOFH Re: A Message Form Terry Haines - 02/05/03 04:25 PM
After both reading and listening to Terry Haines in person, I do believe he is much much better at speaking than at typing his words on a computer.

He truly is two different persons regarding an online persona an the real life, face to face guy. A very engaging and wonderful to listen to speaker.

I don't always agree with his business practices, but I do understand how he came to some of them (witness how many backed out of Aussie Bar GB's in the past), but seldom do I question his knowledge about this platform.

But he, like most engineers, always wants to be right, and does not suffer fools lightly.

FWIW,

TB
© CEG Archives