Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 OBD-II scanner - 01/25/03 10:45 PM
I'm having trouble getting my scanner (from Alex Peper) to work. It used to work, but recently I try to connect with no luck. Alex is unavailable until February because of a death in the family according to http://www.obd-2.com.

I reinstalled Windows and reinstalled the software, and I put my registration code from Alex in. It finds the Tricom, and it even switches the serial port when I change the serial port settings in the BIOS, so I know that's working. It doesn't get any response from the vehicle from what I can tell. Is it possible my obd-ii connector is screwed up somehow? Is my PCM not working properly?
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 01/29/03 09:17 PM
Have you updated you're software version? I did mine and hadn't used it. I couldn't get connected, NOW if I could just remember my "Gateway" settings?
Paul
I'll have to check what Alex had me check or change.
I'll get back Laptop's battery has to charge.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 01/29/03 10:07 PM
Until the problem started I'd been using the same software version since the day I purchased the tricom adapter. I got the latest version while trying to troubleshoot, and that did nothing. I'm not sure if I kept the old version.
Posted By: GeoPappas Re: OBD-II scanner - 01/29/03 10:24 PM
Here are some suggestions:

- Check the serial baud rate that you are transmitting at in both Windows and Vehicle Explorer. You want to make sure that Vehicle Explorer is not trying to connect at a higher rate than Windows is capable of.

- Check the other settings on the Options->Gateway menu of Vehicle Explorer. Make sure that you have the Tricom Interface checked.

- Make sure that you are turning the key to the ON position before you try to connect with the software.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 01/29/03 11:17 PM
Under "options" Gateway
(filters) Delete duplicate responses (Tricom--Indo-3) is checked

(interface) serial port, I use "1",baud 19.2 but not highlighted??? and tricom,indo-3 checked

(protocol) Auto-reconnect,Clear cache on connection and Manuf. Enhanced login all checked,
mine seems to want this last or it won't connect. I just have Ford PWM checked for now.
Not sure which ones need checked for all modes.

I can't Find Alex's last e-mail response but I seem to remember something about frames or no frames this short term memory problem I have is really a pain.
Paul

HI George!!!!
Posted By: GeoPappas Re: OBD-II scanner - 01/29/03 11:39 PM
Originally posted by F111D F:
Under "options" Gateway
(interface) serial port, I use "1",baud 19.2 but not highlighted??? and tricom,indo-3 checked

Do you have the "Use fast tricom, indo-3" checkbox checked?

I can't Find Alex's last e-mail response but I seem to remember something about frames or no frames...

There is an "In frame response (Tricom-PWM)" checkbox on the filters tab.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 01/30/03 02:55 AM
Originally posted by GeoPappas:
Here are some suggestions:

- Make sure that you are turning the key to the ON position before you try to connect with the software.

Thanks for the tips, I will try them out tomorrow, since I just don't have the time tonight to check. However, I know this one was true because I tried it with the car on but not started. When that didn't work I tried actually starting the engine. Neither made any difference.

Something tells me it might be a problem with the serial port settings as you mentioned.
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 01/30/03 03:19 AM
George
I'm going to have to try again, it's been 3-4weeks and I was thinking I tried those two and it didn't connect.
Now when I do it, I can try to connect with the key turned off, request a test/etc. and as soon as the key turned on it connects.
Paul

Ah good the edit hasn't timed out. Ok I can still connect with Fast Tricom checked alone with the Tricom box.
I was was able to remove "Manufacture's enhanced login" and still connect, but all I was trying to access was DATA and hit the send.

However if I checked the "In frames response" (filters) mine won't connect.
Paul
Posted By: contoured Re: OBD-II scanner - 02/01/03 02:47 AM
For $ 40 get one from Harbour Freight online
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD-II scanner - 02/01/03 04:56 AM
actually it's $50 now. here
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 02/01/03 12:21 PM
What does this device do? Specifically, does it give CEL codes w/o the use of laptop on Contiques?
Posted By: GeoPappas Re: OBD-II scanner - 02/01/03 12:55 PM
Originally posted by horseydug:
What does this device do? Specifically, does it give CEL codes w/o the use of laptop on Contiques?

Yes, it seems to display the CEL code that is stored. I'm not sure what it would do with multiple CEL codes though.
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 02/01/03 01:11 PM
Thanks. That was a supplementary question I also had, you must be a mindreader.
Posted By: GeoPappas Re: OBD-II scanner - 02/01/03 01:29 PM
Originally posted by horseydug:
Thanks. That was a supplementary question I also had, you must be a mindreader.

FYI & FWIW (gotta love those acronyms ), I have Vehicle Explorer (http://www.obd-2.com) and love it. It is a little more expensive, but does a WHOLE LOT MORE. I got mine at a group buy on the Taurus boards (for 40% off list price).

As you are probably already aware, a "reader" only reads codes, but a "scanner" can do a lot more (such as read real-time values from the onboard computer). Vehicle Explorer works especially well with Fords, since it can read over 150 different values from the computer in real-time. Thus, if you have a laptop, you can hook it up and take the car on a short drive and see exactly what is happening.

There are other software programs out there that are similar, but are also a lot more expensive.

Plus, Alex Peper (the creator of the software) updates the software every month or two.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: OBD-II scanner - 02/02/03 06:13 AM
it would probably show one code, then maybe hit button, show next, or it would show one for a few seconds, show next, etc. i really wish i had a full scanner and laptop.
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 02/05/03 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
actually it's $50 now. here

Hey, dumb question - do our cars use the universal connector that the tool comes with?
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 02/05/03 02:56 PM
The OBD II port is the same in all vehicles, or there supposed to be. I have Alex's software and the interface I and I believe George also has is call "Tricom". It plugs into the OBD II port and a serial cable goes from the Tricom to the laptop. www.obd-2.com has all kinds of info. Hope this helps?
Paul
Posted By: GeoPappas Re: OBD-II scanner - 02/05/03 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Viss1:
Hey, dumb question - do our cars use the universal connector that the tool comes with?

Yes, all OBD-II vehicles (all 1996+ and some pre-1996) have a standardized (universal) 16-pin connector. On our cars, the port is under the driver-side kick panel near the driver's door. You have to look under the panel to find it. Other vehicles hide it in different areas.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 03/08/03 05:08 AM
Ok I can still connect with Fast Tricom checked alone with the Tricom box.
I was was able to remove "Manufacture's enhanced login" and still connect, but all I was trying to access was DATA and hit the send.

However if I checked the "In frames response" (filters) mine won't connect.
Paul

I've tried changing just about all the settings with no luck. My com2 port is set to 19200 bps in Windows control panel. "In frames response" checked or unchecked; it won't connect. Same if I have only PWM checked for the Protocol, or all types selected. In the interface tab "tricom, indo-3" is selected, which should be correct and "Use fast tricom, indo-3" checked or unchecked doesn't help.

Just to make sure my 4 year old laptop hasn't started to fall apart I hooked up an old external modem, and Windows saw it and could communicate with it.

I think I've done all I can. It appears as though Alex is back from his extended leave, so I'll email him and see if there's anything he can think of

EDIT: I should also note that I know the OBD-II interface is working in my car because my local emissions center just did a CEL check last month for my emissions test.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: OBD-II scanner - 03/08/03 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear that your scan tool doesn't work but I don't think you needed to:

a. put the guys name here on this post and/or

b. speak about the death in his family

Most people who sell things here in the CEG, especially something like this, will stand behind it.

I think you could just waited till he got things taken care of with his family, thats alot more important IMO! If you need a code read just take your car to Autozone and they'll do it for free
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 03/08/03 11:19 PM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
Sorry to hear that your scan tool doesn't work but I don't think you needed to:

a. put the guys name here on this post and/or

b. speak about the death in his family

Most people who sell things here in the CEG, especially something like this, will stand behind it.

I think you could just waited till he got things taken care of with his family, thats alot more important IMO! If you need a code read just take your car to Autozone and they'll do it for free

Huh?

a.) The guy (Alex) is not a CEG'er. He's the owner of http://www.obd-2.com. Many people here highly recommend his scanners and software, and I don't see why using his name is a bad thing, especially since he plasters it all over his web site.

b.) He also announced his leave, and the reason he was on extended leave, very prominantly on the website. If he didn't want people to know why he was gone for a couple months, then he shouldn't have announced it to the world.

Please get your facts straight before criticizing someone.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 03/19/04 07:57 PM
Just an update for anyone who happens to search and finds this thread...

I returned my scanner to Alex a few months ago. He tested it and found it to be dead. He shipped out a replacement under the warranty and it has been working well since. I even used it to diagnose a CEL on my parents' minivan. Alex definitely stands behind his product; consider this a shining endorsement
Posted By: jborge_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 03/19/04 09:15 PM

I been eyeing Alex's product for a long time.

One advantage that may not be obvious is Alex's software is 16bit, and runs on a 604x480 screen. This is great becuase it can be used on a really old laptop with minimum resoures to run the software. Don't mind geting my old clunker NEC laptop dirty, and will have a new life as a ODBII host.

Now I just need to buy one. Are there or have been any group buys or CEG discounts?

Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 03/20/04 03:28 AM
Originally posted by jborge:
Are there or have been any group buys or CEG discounts?

Somebody is working on a group buy right now

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=groupbuy&Number=560466&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 03/20/04 03:53 PM
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=diag_theory_retail&gutsid=diagsheet&menuIndex=18

Just in case you might have missed this, that pertains to using and gives an explaination or what the Ford Enhanced Pid's mean or at least what the engineers had in mind.

Actually might be able to teach yourself and myself a little more.

Paul
Posted By: SoopaCooga Re: OBD-II scanner - 03/21/04 06:17 PM
Originally posted by hetfield:
I'm having trouble getting my scanner (from Alex Peper) to work. It used to work, but recently I try to connect with no luck.

I reinstalled Windows and reinstalled the software, and I put my registration code from Alex in. It finds the Tricom, and it even switches the serial port when I change the serial port settings in the BIOS, so I know that's working. It doesn't get any response from the vehicle from what I can tell. Is it possible my obd-ii connector is screwed up somehow?

I'm having the same problem! My Alex Peper scan tool stopped working. It just won't connect to either my Mercury Cougar or my Ford Explorer. That seems to rule out that its a problem with a particular car, so I've been examining the settings on the computer and the scan tool. I've taken the same steps you have. I also get a "no response/timeout" error using my tricom.

I'm thinking the problem is one of two things: the latest version of the software or a cooked chip inside the connector. Unfortunately, Alex is away (again) for the next three weeks.

Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: OBD-II scanner - 03/21/04 06:51 PM
Replied to your PM.
Posted By: SoopaCooga Re: OBD-II scanner - 03/23/04 06:17 PM
Originally posted by gamiller:
I'm thinking the problem is one of two things: the latest version of the software or a cooked chip inside the connector. Unfortunately, Alex is away (again) for the next three weeks.

Well, the problem persists after I downgraded the software to the version published last September. I'm assuming it must be a hardware issue. :\
© CEG Archives