Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Quick_SVT damn CEL - 01/04/03 08:47 AM
code 420... dealer replaced the o2 sensor drove the car roughly 100 miles since then CEL is on again gonna go to autozone and get the code checked and i'll post it hear... is there any chance that this could be the dealer screwing up and not replacing the right parts? this is my third time returning this car since i've had it (3 weeks) not a good pattern... i'm starting to second guess my purchase
Posted By: jmatzick_dup1 Re: damn CEL - 01/04/03 02:12 PM
Have you noticed a funny smell, like rotton eggs? Could be your cat(s) -John
Posted By: GeoPappas Re: damn CEL - 01/04/03 02:14 PM
Check here for possible causes of a P420:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=53534
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: damn CEL - 01/04/03 05:17 PM
welp just got back from autozone and guess what its the same code p0420... they have already replaced an o2 sensor.. from the little bit of research i've done on this problem i see that there is 4 o2 sensors... is there a chance they replaced the wrong one? or what do u think i should ask them to check next? my cat?

thanks in advance

By the way you guys are the greatest... thank you for all your help...
Posted By: 95merc Re: damn CEL - 01/09/03 04:07 AM
I thought there were only 2 but when one goes you normally want to replace all. But more than likely it is an EGR problem causing the problem
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: damn CEL - 01/09/03 04:22 AM
Yes, your cats.
Posted By: tw0wheelin_dup1 Re: damn CEL - 01/09/03 06:12 AM
96 and newer contours with V6 have 4 O2 sensors. (2 on each Cyl bank) The P0420 code indicates that there isn't enough of a difference between the switching rates of the upstream and downstream sensor for bank 1. (By the firewall) If both the upstream and downstream sensors have been replaced then your pre-cat may be dying. The pre-cats are covered by the 80K mile emmisions warranty if that helps.
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: damn CEL - 01/09/03 07:54 AM
Wll got the car in and out of the shop today so far they replaced both down stream 02 sensors and one upstream... they ordered my precats and will be putting them on as asoon as they arrive.. hope this is solve the 420 code, because my car is getting really poor gas mileage they also replaced my AC blower motor which decided it wanted to get loud all of a sudden and stop working.. i hope thats the last of the problems with this car..

So far i've replaced
4 brand new yokohamas
2 front rotors/pads
machined 2 rear/ new pads
water pump
thermostat
sending unit
gaskets
P/S pump
2 downstreem o2 sensors
1 upstream o2 sensor
intake runner module
air filter
fresh oil change

yes i do love this car
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: damn CEL - 01/12/03 11:12 PM
My check engine light mysteriously went away... now i wonder if the dealer is still going to go ahead and replace my cats or do i have to wait for it to come back and take it in again?
Posted By: jmatzick_dup1 Re: damn CEL - 01/12/03 11:17 PM
When they replaced your O2 sensors, they probably cleared the codes. If your cats are bad, cel will return soon.
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: damn CEL - 01/12/03 11:39 PM
yes, they did clear the code and the code came back 50 miles down the road... but now its went away again my contour is strange
Posted By: jmatzick_dup1 Re: damn CEL - 01/13/03 12:29 AM
I was going through the same cel (0430) scenerio a week ago.-off, on, off, and back on. I'll bet it'll come back on soon and stay that way until fixed.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: damn CEL - 01/13/03 02:53 AM
Originally posted by jmatzick:
I was going through the same cel (0430) scenerio a week ago.-off, on, off, and back on. I'll bet it'll come back on soon and stay that way until fixed.

Recently I had code #0156, O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2. Then after that $125.00 bill the light came on again and I scanned it...code #0156 So I took the car to where I have the oil changed, took out the MILS and sent them back to Dallas Mustang. These things were almost $100.00, so I'm going to see what they can do for me, they're not even a year old yet. Consiquently the CEL is on and its code # 0420-0430. My book says something about "below the threshold". Like I've said before DON'T GUT YOUR PRE-CATS, ITS NOT WORTH IT IMO
Posted By: unisys12 Re: damn CEL - 01/13/03 03:21 AM
Quote:

Recently I had code #0156, O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2. Then after that $125.00 bill the light came on again and I scanned it...code #0156 So I took the car to where I have the oil changed, took out the MILS and sent them back to Dallas Mustang. These things were almost $100.00, so I'm going to see what they can do for me, they're not even a year old yet. Consiquently the CEL is on and its code # 0420-0430. My book says something about "below the threshold". Like I've said before DON'T GUT YOUR PRE-CATS, ITS NOT WORTH IT IMO

I would have to say that you have a problem with your MILS. If Dallas Mustangs wont help you out, then I would make my own. Someone posted a link to a page that showed you how to make your own MILs. You could search for it if you want. I think I have it somewhere. Not the link, but the page.
Posted By: jmatzick_dup1 Re: damn CEL - 01/13/03 03:59 AM
Quote:

I would have to say that you have a problem with your MILS. If Dallas Mustangs wont help you out, then I would make my own. Someone posted a link to a page that showed you how to make your own MILs. You could search for it if you want. I think I have it somewhere. Not the link, but the page.

I totally agree because that's exactly what happened to me after gutting cats and installing eliminators. I continued getting a cel (0430) because one MIL was in backwards. I got mine here for about 30 bucks.
http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/smileliminators.html
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: damn CEL - 01/13/03 05:01 AM
i did'nt gut my precats In fact i'm scared to mod my tour until i get the basics done... did the waterpump... need a baffled oil pan and accusump, DMD.... you know
Posted By: unisys12 Re: damn CEL - 01/13/03 07:07 AM
Originally posted by ContourSE:
i did'nt gut my precats In fact i'm scared to mod my tour until i get the basics done... did the waterpump...

You are going in the right direction. Have the thing stable before moving on to greener pastures! Your problem is with your precats themselves, not that they have been gutted. When the dealer puts them on you will be very happy.

need a baffled oil pan and accusump, DMD.... you know

Actually all you should need is the baffled oil pan. I would not think you would need the sump also. The new baffled pan holds the oil in place better and eliminates the need to have the sump. To be honest, I have made some pretty hairy right hand turns without either and have had no problems. Just remember to keep the oil level good, but don't go crazy with it like hitting a clover leaf at 90 miles an hour thinking that it will be ok!

And before anyone goes beating up on me about what I said about the turns without either the pan or sump... That was all before I started coming here and I don't do it now. I am not taking any chances and I don't suggest anyone else do the same. I am getting the pan soon and will change it when I swap tranny's.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: damn CEL - 01/14/03 12:41 AM
The MILS from Dallas Mustang have a male/female connection, so theres NO way to put them in backwards. I'm not going to even say they make a bad MIL because I wash my car alot, especially cleaning the engine compartment and in the winter I hit the touch-free washes and ALWAYS get the underbody wash. This probably has something to do with one of them going bad. I'll let you guys know what they decided to do for me
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: damn CEL - 01/14/03 03:16 AM
Going in the morning to get my precats put on.... hopefully this will be the last of it for a while.... i've done a lot so far... my CEL has went off and been that way for 100+ miles now.... As soon as i find a site with the best priced baffled oil pan i'm ordering one, same with the DMD...

Originally posted by unisys12:
i did'nt gut my precats In fact i'm scared to mod my tour until i get the basics done... did the waterpump...

You are going in the right direction. Have the thing stable before moving on to greener pastures! Your problem is with your precats themselves, not that they have been gutted.
When the dealer puts them on you will be very happy.

need a baffled oil pan and accusump, DMD.... you know

Actually all you should need is the baffled oil pan. I would not think you would need the sump also. The new baffled pan holds the oil in place better and eliminates the need to have the sump. To be honest, I have made some pretty hairy right hand turns without either and have had no problems. Just remember to keep the oil level good, but don't go crazy with it like hitting a clover leaf at 90 miles an hour thinking that it will be ok!

And before anyone goes beating up on me about what I said about the turns without either the pan or sump... That was all before I started coming here and I don't do it now. I am not taking any chances and I don't suggest anyone else do the same. I am getting the pan soon and will change it when I swap tranny's.

Posted By: unisys12 Re: damn CEL - 01/14/03 04:20 AM
As soon as i find a site with the best priced baffled oil pan i'm ordering one, same with the DMD...

Check with CTA Motorsports. They have the oil pan for $90. There was a thread in the tranny forum where it was brought up about if an ATX would need or have anything to gain by having a DMD installed. It can't hurt, but it will make your low end feel "heavy". Hey, better safe then sorry! Every little bit helps.

Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: damn CEL - 01/15/03 08:51 AM
Thanks... i'll check that site out as soon as i drive my car at least 300miles to make sure the light isn't coming on again and order those....
btw i have a 5 speed

Originally posted by unisys12:
As soon as i find a site with the best priced baffled oil pan i'm ordering one, same with the DMD...

Check with CTA Motorsports. They have the oil pan for $90. There was a thread in the tranny forum where it was brought up about if an ATX would need or have anything to gain by having a DMD installed. It can't hurt, but it will make your low end feel "heavy". Hey, better safe then sorry! Every little bit helps.

Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: damn CEL - 01/15/03 02:57 PM
welp got the car back... so far 16 free CEL miles hopefully my code 420 is solved they replaced the precats i guess... part total came up to 202.23 at dealer cost....
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: damn CEL - 01/16/03 08:19 AM
78 miles and counting
© CEG Archives