Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Mystakin' Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 01/03/03 04:04 AM
We're new here & have just been reading the posts about the heater blower motor dieing.
We drove from Pittsburgh Pa to Dallas the day after Xmas & when we left the motor was fine. We turned it to low & never adjusted it again. When we left Dallas News Years Eve the thing was dead. The Heater fuse is ok, & I swapped the rear defrost & heater blower relays & got no change w/the problem.

I see a lot of post about this sort of problem so I popped out the Resistor pack. I think, (but in know way am I sure), that there is a Fuse/Thermal fuse on it. It looks like a Thermal Fuse & the wiring diagrams in the Haynes Manual shows a fuse in the circuit, (but both Me & the Haynes Manuals have been wrong before so I'm not certain to this fact).

It was reading open so I cut it out & shorted the ends, but I still have nothing.

I get 12vdc to the fan motor wiring connector when the control knob is on Panel or Flr/Panel but the fan still does not work. I do not get any voltage when on Heat, Defrost, Defrost/Heat, or A/C.

I see that there is recalls for this problem so I'm going to contact Ford & see if they'll help me, but I have a few questions on this.

-Is that part on the Resistor pack a Thermal fuse?
-Is it possible that both the Resistor pack & the switch
are bad?
-Is there anything else that I'm over looking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

John

the fan doesnt work at all or does it just work on high? if it just works on high then its ur resistor. we have 4 contours and 2 of them the fans only worked on high. when we pulled the resistor out of the one the harness and resistor were melted. that happened even after it had been worked on for the recall that the 98's had. im not too sure about the fuse link on the resistor tho.
It dosen't have to be stuck on "hi" to be the resistor. Mine was stuck on "lo" when my reststor went.
Posted By: Mystakin' Re: Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 01/03/03 11:52 AM
It's does not work at all.
There is nothing melted on the Resistor Pack.

Also just after I orginaly started this thread my wife handed me a letter from Mercury & Said "Will this help"
it was a letter telling her about Recall 01M07 for the Heater Blower Switch, dated Aug 2001. She never had it fixed.
I'm gonig to call the dealership today about getting that taken care of.
Posted By: burgman_dup1 Re: Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 01/03/03 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Mystakin':

I get 12vdc to the fan motor wiring connector when the control knob is on Panel or Flr/Panel but the fan still does not work. I do not get any voltage when on Heat, Defrost, Defrost/Heat, or A/C.

-Is that part on the Resistor pack a Thermal fuse?
-Is it possible that both the Resistor pack & the switch
are bad?
-Is there anything else that I'm over looking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

John

John

I went through an ordeal with mineâ?¦ check this post.

It sounds to me like the resister pack is bad, but it could be the switch. You should be covered under warranty for both the resister and switch (extended warranty to 150k). I would replace the resister first and the switch second.
Posted By: thepakrat Re: Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 01/03/03 12:30 PM
I also got a notice of a recall for this. It was on a bright orange card stating "URGENT", so I guess I'll be heading to the dealer, although I have never had a problem with the blower.
Posted By: Mystakin' Re: Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 01/03/03 04:45 PM
Our's Came in the form of a letter.

I went on the Ford Owners "Service" website & on the Ford Quality Care website & both said the is no Current recalls for our car.

I called 1-800-392-3673 & talked to a very nice & helpful girl named Morgan. She said that we are still eligible for the 01M07 recall & also the 01S22 recall & sent a memo to our local Ford dealership to notify them.

I called the local Dealership, Monongahela Ford, & talked to their service department. They didn't give me any trouble & said they could get to us on monday.
The funny thing is When told him I had some recalls on a Mystique that need taken care of, He replied with... "Which ones there so many for them.."

Anyways I'm hoping this will take care of my problem.

Also I found out that that is a Thermal cutout fuse in the resistor pack. The one in mine is made by "Therm-o-disk" co. with a brand name of "Microtemp" it's part number is G4A04110C which I is now G4A01110C. so if they don't fix that, i'm going to try to get one or two through work.
Originally posted by Cool Blue Mystique:
It dosen't have to be stuck on "hi" to be the resistor. Mine was stuck on "lo" when my reststor went.

i never said it was stuck on anything. i said if it only works on high.
Posted By: shoB4svt_dup1 Re: Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 01/03/03 10:45 PM
When my fan only worked on 'high', it turned out to be the connector under the glovebox. Seems it was corroded and not making elctrical connection. I pulled it apart, cleaned the connectors on both male and female, and re-plugged it, and voila, it works fine.
Originally posted by shoB4svt:
When my fan only worked on 'high', it turned out to be the connector under the glovebox. Seems it was corroded and not making elctrical connection. I pulled it apart, cleaned the connectors on both male and female, and re-plugged it, and voila, it works fine.

my connector was a little more than corroded. note that this happened AFTER it had been worked on for the recall. so i had to pay for the new resistor and harness and do fords recall work for them.

Posted By: Mystakin' Re: Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 01/06/03 08:27 PM
My resistor pack is different it has/had coiled resistor that are not inclosed. also the plug/connector looked ok.
The only thing bad was the thermal fuse.

I dropped the car of a the Ford Dealer this morning. the replaced the resistor pack, but claim that the switch is not bad. they claim there is a short in the fuse box.

I really don't believe them.

Has anybody heard of this (bad fuse box) before?

They want to charge $128 for parts & $45 for labor.
I'm just wandering if they're just trying to make some money becuase the orginal work is al recall stuff.
Posted By: Mystakin' Re: Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 01/06/03 08:52 PM
Also
Which switch goes bad?

Is it the blower speed switch
or the ac/heat/vent/defrost select switch?
Posted By: S9V8T Re: Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 01/06/03 10:43 PM
Let me tell you what it is and I am almost 100% this is what it is ...I had the dame problem. A ceg'r gave me the helpful insight on what it was and I hate that I cant remember his name to give hin credit for this. Check on the driver side right underneath where the fuse box is located. Dont drop the fuse box but if you notice there will be 3 harnesses...unplug the one closet to the clucth, I think it is a red wire and one green with white stripe, but dont take me for that because I do not remember. Pull it out and look at it. I can almost bet my svt on it that it will be brittle and it is not making contact. I searched for months with all the help from her to swithing relays and resistor packs..if this is it cust the harness get some insulated female connectors and your done. Let me know the outcome
Well, you're not the only one with a short in the fuse box. My heater quit and that's what I need, over a hundred for a new fuse box, plus over a hundred for labor (which they said would be three hours). I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I already had them order the part, so I'm obviously going to get it fixed, I don't like that risk of fire.
Posted By: Mystakin' Re: Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 01/07/03 07:12 PM
When I got to the dealership all the mechanics were gone.
I asked the guy at the desk what was shorted in the fuse box. He couldn't be specific, "there's a short that's all I was told". He then told me that they did replace the switch & the harness for the switch and the resistor pack.
All for free under the recalls.

When I got in the car I tried the fan & it worked. So if there is a "short" in the fuse box it is intermittent. But I'm still going to check on those wires that S9V8T mentioned.
Posted By: ant00r1 Re: Yet another Heater Blower gone Bad - 07/17/04 05:29 PM
should the blower motor run if i put 12v straight to the plug on bottom of the motor? I put 12v to the blower and nothing happened. called ford about the recall on 98s but they said it wasn't applicable to my 98 contour. motor quit all of the sudden on all speeds but worked again ,shortly ,after hitting a bump in the road. but its dead again now. any help appreciated. thanks
© CEG Archives