Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/02/03 04:54 AM
I have a 98 SVT and I think my car will not start due to the key losing its code. Everything else checks out.. fuel pump, spinning fast but no spark to the plug. Someone told me my key may have lost its code, and for some reason I cannot find my spare...soo it just sits there with a new tranny and lightened flywheel just begging to be driven hard! Anyone know how to bypass PAT.. I have a superchip in it..is it possible to program that to get around it? Thanks!
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/02/03 05:34 AM
Pull the chip and try to start it.
Posted By: 2KSESportV6 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/02/03 12:02 PM
You can go to best buy, circuit city, or crutchfield to get a pats bypass module. The module itself costs about $40 bucks or so. If that's the problem, I would say go for it.
Posted By: projectSHO89_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/02/03 01:07 PM
The PATS system only interrupts the starter, not the spark. If the starter cranks, the PATS system is OK.

It can be defeated by grounding a single wire on the input to the PATS module. See the schematic.

BTW, the key doesn't loose it's code, the PCM is programmed to acept the specific keys made for the car.

Steve
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/03/03 02:40 AM
Thanks for all the help guys I will try to bypass it with the best buy thing. I found both of my keys and neither of them work anymore. The SnapOn Scanner says that there is no signal from the Pats whatever it is, and I am sure as hell not going to take it to the dealer. I have programmed keys before and gotten them to work. I tried a key before I programmed it and the starter kicked fine but would not start the car. As soon as I programmed the key it worked perfect. I really did not expect to get much if any response to my post but I want you all to know I really appreciate the responses! If I could I would send you guys 5 bucks each....in fact if you accept paypal.. send me your paypal address and I will send you 3 guys 5 bucks! Either post here or email me at MrCBR900RR@aol.com! Have a great day!

Jason
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/03/03 02:41 AM
Oh yeah PRoject.. you say grounding a single wire? Just any wire will do? Thanks
Posted By: theduker_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/04/03 12:28 AM
The only way to bypass a PAT is to go for a two-point conversion. Even if you score a touchdown as time expires, you are required to attempt the PAT by rule. Of course, you could always take a knee.

If you are going for a two-point conversion and you have a mobile quarterback, I recommend moving him out of the pocket so that he has the option to throw for it or run it.

In overtime however, the game is over as soon as you score a touchdown - no PAT allowed.

I believe that it was last year when the fans charged onto the field in New England after the winning TD was scored on the last play of the game. The team had to come back out onto the field about 20 minutes later to attempt the PAT.

I have always wanted to be one of those jackasses who provides absolutely no useful information.

Dave
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/04/03 12:52 AM
Originally posted by theduker:
I have always wanted to be one of those jackasses who provides absolutely no useful information.

Dave

SUCCESS !!!
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/04/03 08:21 AM
did u find your keys cuz there's one in the steering column in a box somewhere to work with the pats. when i was getting my alarm done, the pats needed to be bypassed. they used a dei bypass module. i dont remember exactly which one.
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/05/03 01:16 AM
I am not sure... Best Buy says to use their Bypass module you have to be able to start the car. So I am still out of luck.. If I run a wire from the batt. to the fuel pump she will run. If I cant get Superchips to program my chip (but they said they could) then I will have to put a switch on a live wire to my fuel pump and just run it like that. Thanks for the post though!

J
Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/05/03 04:13 AM
Did you check the fuel cut-off switch? Sometimes they trip and confuses the dickens out of you. Reset it for the heck of it..!
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/05/03 08:12 PM
LOL yeah that was the first thing I tried, and nothing.. the Snap-On Scanner still says no signal from Pats, and the red light on my dash just blinks really fast...a buddy of mine is gonna try to bypass it monday.. I will post when I figure out how to do it in case someone else has the same problem.!
Posted By: holycowSVTpaul_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/05/03 08:44 PM
Please keep us updated. I only have ONE key!
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/06/03 02:31 AM
Check with a locksmith/keyshop. If you find a good one they can bring you upto speed on the system.
I have a spare key for mine, a non Pats key and the engine cranks but won't fire. (built 07/97) I always thought the PCM shut off the fuel with no signal from the Pats.
anyhow the local key shop here can re-do the system. May only need the Pats computer something like re-booted to except your keys again.
If you have access to Mitchell's manuals it's in there how to do it. However you have to have the password to get into the re-progam mode. May not be the correct terminology but close to the process.
Paul

Yes the Pats Transciever sits behind the instrument panel on top of the steering column and is cabled down the Pats cpu just under the PCM. (right corner of the passenger foot well. Any activity in those areas that may have knock connector loose????
Also the "data link" between the Pats cpu & PCM (blu/gry pair) has a connector under the left side of the steering column.
at the PATS cpu it's blu/red & gry/red via the gry & blu and at s281 & s282 it becomes gry/vio & blu/wht then on to the "data Link connector. confused? sure glad I'm not the mechanic, of course he has a book as where "s281 & s282 is located. still no good at contortion
Pin 3 the blk wire (at the Pats Cpu connector goes to the starting system) have to monitor that sometime to see what potential is on that led.
So it must be info on the data link and the pin 3 signal. Still nothing what's deactivated.
Posted By: BOFH Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/06/03 02:35 AM
Originally posted by holycowSVTpaul:
Please keep us updated. I only have ONE key!

I was able to have a key cut for my E0. Started the car with the one I had, then started it with the new key.

No problems.

Later PATS cars had to be reprogrammed to accept new keys. Earlier versions don't, as long as you have one working key.

FWIW,

TB
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/06/03 03:42 AM
Forgot about the the ground located at bottom of right "A" pillar blk/yel wire goes to a "shorting bar connector" and then a to blk/blu to the Pats cpu connector pin 14.
And two fuses are invovled f 30 7.5 A inside and F12 15A box in the engine compartment.
Why would want to add more confusion (by adding a by-pass module) to an already perfectly confusing mess???

Paul
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/06/03 03:05 PM
Jason which error code are you receiving?
TNX
Paul
The CD copy of the 98 Manuals does say that the engine should not crank if the Pats (the proper American name "SecuriLock")does not recognize the key.
Looks like the spare key I have has a problem, since it cranks but won't fire??????
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/07/03 05:41 AM
if you have a 98 you can program your own heys.. I forgot how but its something like you put in your good key turn till lights on dash come on..stay there for at least 10 seconds take it out and put the second one in.. turn until the red light blinks twice.. to find out for sure go on ebay.. search for seller SandSlocks I think or search "ford contour transponder hey" He always had auctions selling them, and he includes instructions on how to program them...you just have to get somebody to cut it..ford dealer is best bet for that they usually cut for free.. I am not sure about the 99's and upp I hear they changed it to where you have to have 2 keys to be able to do it yourself..anymore questions feel free to ask!!
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/07/03 05:49 AM
Hey Paul thanks for all the info. I will try to check these things...as for the non pats key or one that hasnt been programmed I tried mine before I programmed it just for kicks and it just turned the engine over and thats it no fire. But when I put my good key in it fired right up.. who knows isnt PAT wonderful! LOL I have my stereo out of the car right now and wires are everywhere maybe I yanked something loose? Poor Car I really missed driving it. I just put $1500 into a new trans, and lightened flywheel with install, and was having a blast driving it. I tell you the flywheel it a really good thing to do. i couldnt see spending $400 bucks on it just for a aluminum ring but hell it really revs almost like a sportbike now. I leave these Hondas so fast its embarassing! So until now I will just have to scratch the itch I have to drive the thing! Wish me luck!

Jason
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/07/03 05:53 AM
oh yeah I forgot.. I am recieving a code that says something like "No Signal from PATS"
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/07/03 05:00 PM
Just a note I had my laptop with the OBD II software and was trying to see what code was output when I tried the Non-Pats key. I found out that if I used the Pats key and then used the non-pats imediately after it would allow the starter to operate. However with the Non-pats still inserted turned it off and tried again nothing like it's supposed to do.
I wondering this bug might be why the later Pats systems don't allow the programing (by the owner ).

OH Jason I forgot there is an antenna that the Transceiver uses. It's located (weill since I've never had it apart and the picture in the manual does really show the antenna) the transceiver ,according to this picture, is found by removing the bottom steering column cover. I do know that interference by other keys/etc is a problem.
I believe code P1232 will be outputed if there's a problem with antenna. If the I'm understanding the manual correct.
Remember I never actually done this for myself.

Yes sounds like a good look inspection is in order. Remember this is a radio of sorts (digital maybe) it can intermitent if something/wiring be disturbed. I know this from experience (ham radio & radio in Mil).
If I get time and the weather warms alittle I take a look, I'm curious. I an old habit I have find out what your working with before the fire-fight hits! Hi Hi
Paul
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/07/03 06:46 PM
two Pats key on the same key ring won't work!
Paul
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/07/03 10:57 PM
Just got back from the cold garage, since when is the "top of the steering column" on the bottom or in this case the right side. Well at least I now know where the Pats transceiver really is. Jason if you didn't have the bottom half of the steering column cover off forget about that area. And this antenna thing well it's not something you can unplug? It's part of the transceiver plastic assemby. Sure glad I'm not a mechanic, who writes these manuals?
Actually it's fits around the key cylinder with the ckt board hanging underneath and one machine screw holding it place on the top of the bottom side of the column? $99 bucks Jeeze!
So I can't see any problem with running speaker wires or whatever in the dash interfering with the transceiver. The only area is right there around the ignition key cylinder.

Key when inserted can't be more than 3/8"-1/2" from the xcvr's ant.
Go to know what's really where, hopefully if I get boned-up on the system mine won't break!
I still have a thousand questions of my own to answer.
As far as your original question,I haven't got brave enough yet to try experimenting with pin 3.
Paul
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/08/03 01:03 AM
LOL damn Paul you are going wayyy far out of your way to help. I cant believe it! Well I am picking up the car tomorrow. I am just going to run a wire from the battery (with inline fuse) and switch to my fuel pump and it will run.. hopefully that little red light wont blink its ass off the whole time.. I am going to do that until I get my Superchip back and reburned to bypass PATS ass! When I get the chip back I will let you all know if it works! Thanks people!

Jason
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/08/03 03:35 PM
No problem Jason!
I'm also satisfying my curiosity (why is there air), as I've said before, and hopefully it will help other CEG's once this is in the archives. It's always been my thing to share my findings, not that I'm an expert, but if we all can share, we all (together) can eventually figure out how to troubleshoot better/correctly/etc the next time. It's that team concept thing.
If I understand what your saying that the PCM software has to be modified also along with pin 3? Not surprizing. It wouldn't be much of a secruity if it was toooo simple?

I'm going to give my service manager a call (?????) if it's possible that he has knowledge/software patch to bypass it.
If Superchips can do it, any software "guru" can write a patch it's all about how much$$$. Biggest problem the dealer has is what Ford allows them to do by restricting the info they are given. Getting the correct passwords or knowledge of the software architechture, well lets put this way, I've seen it done many times by telco vendors and it's always been about how much are you willing to pay $$$$ Hi Hi
Let me know how it turns out Jason?
Tnx
Paul
N8BUU
The more knowledge I gather the more I realize I don't know!
I'll shut-up now it's a problem when your an YORF. young old retired fart

Ah goood the edit timer hasn't elapsed! Now I know and not to my surprize and security reasons Ford will not tell the dealer how to get around the Pats. HeH if you don't ask
This is why I buy what I buy, the dealer in a small farming community will put up with my strange/frank curiosities!
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/08/03 07:40 PM
Well I got my car back from my buddy who was working on it and I ran a wire from the batt to the fuel pump with a switch. (just for temp until I get my chip programmed) It will not start with either ECU! GRRRR I smell gas so maybe I have fouled the plugs? Have you ever had a problem with a car not starting at all because the plugs were so fouled? Well now its time to take that info you gave me on all that wiring and see how much more I can screw up.. actually I am going to get some fresh plugs and try them first.. I will keep you updated... till then.. hey how much would you charge to come wrk on my car in Baltimore, MD?? LOL
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/08/03 07:43 PM
wait I forgot to tell you.. I found a wire where the bolt goes into the ECU (engine compartment) I think it is in Position #51 its black with a yellow stripe.. anyway it was frayed and exposed, and rubbing on the bolt that actually holds the ECU up.. think this could have been a problem?
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/08/03 07:51 PM
jeesh one more ques. You think if I run a hot wire to pin3 It will enable it to bypass?????
Posted By: sam_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/08/03 09:14 PM
i'm just sitting here patiently waiting for you guys to figure this thing out. i also have a problem, although a little different. my 98 mystake occasionaly will not crank.when this happens,
at the cars convenience, all i have to do is walk away, take a break then come back and most times she starts. then at times it takes hours for her to crank. always when this happens the led on the dash blinks like crazy.
my mystique driving me crazy,
HELP!!!!!
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/08/03 11:04 PM
Damn Sam,
Well it sounds to me if the red light is blinking fast, you DO have a problem with your PAT System. I cant totally remember but I never thought mine had a fast blink in the past. But of course in the past it had always fired up on the first or second turn of the starter. I do Apologize for taking so long but for one I get frustrated with it, and rather than beat the crap out of the car I walk away. As of now I have given up trying to figure out of I can take this wire and put it to another to bypass it. Most people get a chip anyway. Now if I send my chip away and they can not do anything with it then, I will be forced to start butchering my PATS wiring system. My friend that was working on my car for me told me he worked on a caddilac one time that had the same problem, and all he had to do was put a paperclip in the right spot. I guess if you work on GM Crap its easy to fix it with crap. Well Sam all I can say is I will send my chip away and when I get it back cross my fingers and hope it works. If it does I will post the name and phone of the place that hooked it up for me. Till then dont lose faith in your MYSTIQUE!
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/09/03 03:19 AM
Ok guys the led flashing rapidly is the Pats not recognizing the key, is the key on a key ring or by itself?
Pin 51 Jason is one of grounds Blk/yel is paired with another going to pin 77 . 103 & 24 are grounds also.
And I don't think your going to get it started, there are so many inputs to the PCM that all have to work together before the proper outputs. If one of the Ford engineers that use to hang out on here couple years ago I'm sure they explained quicker and correctly.
Oh yes the PCM is where the programing resides for the PATS and has to work in a certain sequence along with pin 3. And what else, due to anti-theft natural of this system mods are shared with the dealer or authorized.
Jason did this start before or after the Supechip?
I'm just wondering if Superchip is allowed to bypass Pats for you or not. I've never ran into this Bypass module the one of the guys mention that Best Buy sells. I'm surprised they are allowed to sell it??? Who knows?

Oh have you called Superchips and asked them about doing this?
Do you know a locksmith? Locally they could give you some advice of what he's allowed to do.
Course you can always save up the money and hopefully find a Ford dealer you feel would help or work with you. All the manuals in the world won't help us, and I say that because it may take a tech that has attended Ford's training course to get all the inside info. "Big Jim" out in Calif is a Ford service manager, he might share with us,(what he's allowed to) at least give you an idea which is the best way to handle. save you from trying things that may cause more damage.
I tried using my Non-Pats key and did not get the proper error code that the manual said I should????
This wondeful technology is hard to learn without proprietary training nowdays.
Paul
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/09/03 06:16 AM
Well the superchip was never in my car until I tried it AFTER the problem occured. Up Till then I was running the original PCM with the orginal Chip. I just got the superchip with an extra PCM I just purchased. I just tried it for the heck of it. Then I heard that superchips are able to program the chip to bypass PAT. I called the guy (superchip dealer) and he said some not all of them are able to get around it. Most likely I would be able to do it with mine being an older model. Hey Paul do you know if it matters which PCM I use as long as it is for a 98 SVT or not?

Thanks,
Jason
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/10/03 02:37 AM
Jason
All I know for sure on the bottom edge of the PCM (trying to remember) a bar code and ID code. I've heard the term tear tag, but anyhow for example mine is KCA3. In order for the PCM to be a perfect match, these codes would have to match. IF you knew that the spare you had came from the same type of transmission MTX or ATX you probablely might get away with it. But if you only knew of all the running changes that are made in the same year it would make sense. Well sort of!!!!
Post over in the Mods or Durectec performance sections and see if you might run into someone more familiar. Give them the code that's on each PCM.
Couple of years ago I remember a big discussion about this.
Also the tear tag code was also attached to the passenger side door jam at the factory (hinge side "A" pillar), but since it was paper and not coated most came off.

Tinkering with cars can be a real pain nowdays. All this computer controlled stuff and all the revisions, calibratons changes, etc
Good Luck
Paul

Almost forgot since you said you don't have a spare key the dealer or a locksmith could re-acquait your Key with the PCM. It may just be that simple.
A friend of mine had something simple like that.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/10/03 11:59 PM
i'd just buy a dei bypass module from any car audio/alarm shop. thats how they bypass pats when doing alarm installs. i think they r 40-50 bucks. doesn't seem much if it'll solve your problem.
Posted By: sam_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/11/03 11:33 AM
according to all that i have read, you still need a key present to by-pass. is this info correct?
still waiting on the cure for my mystake
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/12/03 01:48 AM
Hmouta,
I spoke to some people that sell the bypasss, they said you have to be able to get the car started to use it? Doesnt seem like you would have to since it is a BYPASS LOL! Anyway.. Sam I would go buy one of those things quick if I were you.. the bypass that is.. they are 40bucks at Best-Buy.. since you are able to get your car started from time to time, I would do that in a heartbeat, and quick before it totally gives on you like mine has.. I may just try the bypass anyway for craps and giggles..(I dont think we are allowed to cus on here and if we were I am soo frustrated I am sure they would kick me off anyway LOL).. I think I will try the best buy thing tomorrow. you never know I may get lucky.. wish me luck Paul, and Sam! I will post with the results!

Jason
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/12/03 02:00 AM
Paul,
Just got some interesting info. Spoke to previous owner, he told me the PCM is not the orginal one for the car. The old one supposedly but the dust. I was looking at the one that was in it and right under the bar code where the harness plugs into the PCM it says REMANUFACTURED! COuld it be that this PCM has bit the dust and the reason it wont run on my spare PCM is because it is not compatible.. I was told my spare came from a 98 SVT, you would think it would work! Are theses PCM's know to just "Go bad"? Get back to me
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/15/03 11:26 PM
Ok I talked to a Mechanic who has worked for a Ford Dealer for 20 years today, and he said if you are getting a fast flash (PATS) then leave the Key in that position (where all the dash lights are on and the security light is blinking fast) leave it in the position for 20 to 30 mins! He said this may fix it.. so leave it alone for 30 mins.. if your light goes to blinking slow or goes out alltogether I am guessing your car should start.. So SAM the next time your car does this leave it sit like that for 30 mins. I think he says this reprograms the key really good or reaquaints the key with the system.. I forgot... when I get my PCM back next week and it doesnt start my car I will try that... Sam if you do it and it works let us know!! Talk to you all later.. Paul what is your view on this??

Jason
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/16/03 03:24 AM
Heh Jason
Generally the PCM's are fairly reliable, but there are so many inputs and outputs,that just one problem and the whole thing has to be replaced.
As far as leaving the key turned on, well a dead battery would be possible. Not every mechanic gets to go to all the training classes. So he may have heard something out of context. From what I can find in the 98 manual and I've got a feeling there are supplements for the Pats that are not published for security reasons or whatever. I can't find anything about leaving it on for that long.
One of the mechanic's told me that to re-program the key in your situation, they have to hook up the Star tester (Ford's laptop) put in the Pats password, insert the key and the rest is propietary. Well actually I forgot it was last year.
It also comes from the military & phone company experiences, I was able to listen in on so much propietary info, we were legally bound not to not repeat anything we heard.
At least that's what I blame for my poor memory.
Paul
Posted By: 98SnailSVT Re: Any Way To Bypass PATs? - 01/16/03 04:00 AM
LOL Paul,
I am really crossing my fingers hoping superchips can come through for me. If not Do you think I can take just my PCM and jeys to the dealer and they fix it for me?? why would they need the whole car there. I really dont have time to work on towing it and really dont feel like paying the price either. I found in the archives where someone said you can take Just the PCM to the dealer and have them "Flash it" so I would think they could do other things.. let me know what you think..

J
© CEG Archives