Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Hey guys. If anybody has that thorotte hang problem on their duratec V6's and want to fix it don't do it because it's a bad idea. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's ghetto rigged. It consists of using a 1/2 pipe cap woth a hole drilled in the middle and you put it in a 3/4 hose that goes from the thorottle body hose to the intake manifold. When I did that, the hang is going. That's good! I started it up this morning and it almost stalled out on me becuase it was at very low idle. I has a little miss to it also. I didn't have a cold idle either. So I took the pipe cap out of the hose and I started it and I got the cold idle back. Somebody that put that idea on here is a piece of [censored]. If you want to know more about it, click on FAQ and after that click on Common problems and coplaints and scroll down to "Rev falls slowly during shifts and when backing off thorottle". If anybody did the fix can you please tell me the results that you got?I did everything right. As long as the car doesn't stay at high idle when backing off the thorotte why bother? As long as it doesn't idle very high when it's still.
Disagee!
Did the TH fix over year ago. Never experienced any of the problems you describe.
Sounds as if you may have made the hole too small.

AL
Originally posted by fordcontoursport:
Somebody that put that idea on here is a piece of [censored].

ray mcnairy is a piece of **censored**??

dude, STFU and learn something before attempting.

if you would have searched around to see what the results are from the ceg'ers that have done it, you would have known that you have to play around with different sizes of the hole in teh cap to get it right.

I made the hole a little bit bigger and it acts normal like it doesn't have the pipe inside of it. I put it in flush. What do you think i'm doing wrong besides the whole.
I didn't have a cold idle this morining when I started it and I made the whole a little bit bigger and it thorottle hanging again. Did you reset the computer after you did it?
read this - it helps with sizes.

Fine Tune the Moose
Hey I have a question, when you first start up your car does it still rev up to cold idle? I'm sorry that I said that ray mcnairy is a piece of [censored]. How big did you drill your hole?
hey. by the way thanks for some of the ideas.
Hey by the way. Thanks for some of the ideas. I appreciate it.
hey man - no problem....
we're all here to help out - just when you say things like that about one of the true pioneers of this site, its not cool at all.

to be honest with you - my 1996 SE does not have the throttle hang problem too bad so I've never done it on that car. My 98 SVT, has the BAT Intake pipe which takes care of the problem so I can't help you with personal experience.

maybe someone else can hop in here and help out.
I have a question...what's the problem with throttle hang if you have an ATX? I figured only the MTX guys were affected by it.
In between shifts and when you back off the throttle, the engine revs down slowly. I have that problem. The problem is very common on the duratec V6's.
What do you think i'm doing wrong besides the whole.

Coming on here and insulting a deceased and respected CEGer for starters....
Check your PM's !

ZZZ.
Cracking the secondaries helped mind drop back to idle.
I believe I opened the secondary stop about 3/4 of a turned.
However I have an ATX, but still noticed engine braking immediately after throttle release. Of course mine's 98 never had the moose or excessive hang. But as I said I still noticed and the low end has a better feel.
Paul
Somebody that put that idea on here is a piece of [censored].

You're damn lucky I didn't catch this earlier before this thread got a lot of responses.

Carry on, and I hope I don't catch you again making a similar statement.

-J
Quote taken from the FAQ section:

"The first time I started it, the engine "hunted" before stabilizing at 750RPM idle. Did this when the lights were on and the AC. The ECU is learning the new
position of the valve for maintaining the programmed RPM, which is normal. After two or three starts, it acts normal."

Did you do this when resetting the computer? I did and have not had a problem(going on 2 years) since. I would consider the TH fix a priceless mod, saving me from the embarrassment of the moose. RIP Ray .
hello. Since you have the same exact model as mine, how big did you drill your hole? Did you put the cap in straight or tilted?
Hey by the way, why do I hear air going through the cap, while it's running? That noise is not supposed to be there.
I also have another problem. The power window one touch down feature on the drivers side doesn't work. The dealer said that I don't have that feature and that's a bunch of bull. I also read that they decontented that feature in 2000 only in the se fleet models not the se sport. Do you have that feature? If you do, the dealer is so full of [censored]!
I have mine drilled 5/64" in the center. If it makes an air noise, I don't hear it(music too loud ) Here is exactly how I installed mine(in idiots terms, since I am an idiot..lol):

Disconnected negative battery terminal

Loosened screw on metal tightening thing(for lack of proper word) around the hose

pulled hose loose on side that points to the passenger side

put drilled cap on my finger like a thimble and greased it

pushed it into the hose about an inch and a half

put hose back on and checked for proper fit

tightened screw on metal tightening thing(I really don't know what it is called )

reconnected negative battery terminal

turned on headlight/fog lamps and Max A/C to HI

started car and let it idol for a few minutes(perfect time to reset lost settings caused by disconnecting the negative battery terminal)

shut car off

keeping lights on and Max A/C on HI, started car again and let it run for a few mins. After that I drive it around the block(with hood closed of course).

Shut car off

Moose is gone for good!

Now, this may not be the proper way to do it, but it has worked for me so far with no complaints. I always turn the headlights/fog lamps on and Max A/C to HI each time I disconnect/reconnect the battery.

As for the auto up/down feature, I don't have it(I don't think they offered it), but a few guys here have done it IIRC.

Hey buddy. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'm going to use your idea lol on that throttle hang fix procedure. Yeah the dealer was right for that driver window express down feature. Are you planning on getting that feature installed?
Hey, I did that throttle hang fix procedure again. I pulled the computer fuse instead of disconnecting the battery. I drilled a 5/64 hole in the middle of the cap andput the cap inside the hose and I reinstalled the hose and tightned the hose clamp. I put the computer fuse back in and I turned my headlights and my a/c on and I started up the car. It's now idling very low. It's idling at about 500 rpm's and my check engine light came on after that. Is your car idling low after you did that? Did your check engine light ever come on?I drove it around the block and I thought it was going to idle normal but it didn't. After that, i turned it off and started it back up and I got the same results. What do you think I did wrong?
I think your supposed to drive around for 20 minutes or so to let the computer recalibrate, not just around the block.
Hey. What's up? How do you know that I gotta drive around for 20 minutes. I let the car idle for a total of 8 minutes. When you did the fix, did your car idle too low? Did your check engine light come on? Mine did.
Hey. How do you know that I gotta drive around for 20 minutes for the computer to reset? Did your car idle very low when you did the fix? Did your check engine light come on? Mine did.
No check engine light for me. I drove around the block after second start up no prob. I tried it earlier today before I typed a response just to be sure. Last time I had low RPMs and a check engine light my IAC was replaced.
Hey guess what? I got it perect. I had an old pipe cap with a 1/4 hole in it so I got some electrical tape and wrapped it around the hole and got a pen and punched a hole in it and I put the hose back on and It's not revving high anymore when I start it. I put the cap on the side where the throttle body hose is instead of the intake monifold side so it won't suck in the tepe. It's not going to happen. It revs no higher than 1500 rpms and the hang is gone . The only minore problem that i'm having is that when I turn on my ac, the rpms are between 500 and 750 when I have it off, it goes back up to 750. I'm so happy now. I just got done playing with it. I disconnected the battery for about 15 seconds and I put it back on and the check engine light is not on anymore. It probably cleared a code or something.
Posted By: Static Re: I wouldn't recommend the throttle hangfix - 11/12/02 04:54 AM
where do i get a how to on the fix? I dont know what kinda of cap or how big or anything
Originally posted by StaticTour96:
where do i get a how to on the fix? I dont know what kinda of cap or how big or anything

http://contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=34
I've got an early '99 SE, and mine has the driver side option...they took that out? I'd think it would be more expensive to make the engineering change than leave it in for the last year of production...

Also...I did the fix as Ray suggested it about 2 years ago, and it worked perfectly the first time...and ever since. Did it too on a friends '99 and it worked right also...forget what size hole i drilled, but it was the Ray suggested starter size. I also took time to completely deburr and make sure the copper piece was clean before I inserted it, to eliminate any weird airflow issues.

Don't forget to let your computer go through 3-5 complete drive cycles before adjusting things further (unless something is really wacky) or you'll drive yourself (and your computer) nuts.
yes. Your contour has that driver express down feature. All you have to do is just touch the down button and let go right away. 99 is the last year they had that feature and they decontented it in 2000.
Re: one touch window:
I've been wondering about this. I have a 2000 SVT, and *sometimes* I can get the window to go down with a one-touch action, but I can't repeat it. Anyone know what's up with that?
© CEG Archives