Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: morten HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/05/02 09:44 PM
OK. Here's my problem. Just bought a new (used) 99 CSVT. When I drive under normal traffic conditions I find the car builds up inexplicable amounts of speed. My previous cars just moved along in traffic, staying politely behind other vehicles. My CSVT won't. Even mild pressure on the gas pedal causes a strange amount of acceleration accompanied by a rather loud and constant growling noise under the hood. This in turn causes me to weave back and forth as other vehicles get in my way. (BTW - the problem seems to be worse in long corners). I find that light pressure on the gas pedal will help, but only for a block or two. Then, sure enough, that growling noise comes back, and the car reverts back to higher than reasonable speeds.

My speedometre often reads WELL above the posted speed limit. Last week, this caused my wife to receive a very large speeding ticket. We tried to explain to the officer the nature of the defect, but he wasn't mechanically savvy. I've asked a local kid who owns a Honda for his advice. But he's not familiar with this problem.

Any advice?
Posted By: Simon_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/05/02 09:49 PM
Posted By: EO1702_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/05/02 09:49 PM
I'm no expert, but I'd guess that maybe your throttle cable is sticking.

I think there was a TSB or recall for some model years.

Hopefully someone more mechanically savvy can shed some light on this.

Otherwise, I get a little of this as well on occasion - lift off the throttle in gear, and instead of the revs dropping right away, the car will linger, maybe even pick up a little bit more speed before the revs drops.

Pretty sure that it's just good old Duratec throttle hang.

Good luck!
Posted By: bentleywarren_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/05/02 09:53 PM
I think the only thing to solve his 'problem' is to drain all of the fuel from the tank.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/05/02 10:06 PM
There is no cure.

You can try that long horitontal pedal between the gas and the clutch pedals, but I hear that causes unnecessary wear on the "brake pad" and "rotor" components.

Posted By: JonGordo8 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/05/02 10:18 PM
There is one cure for it....get rid of it and get a SLOW honda civic ricer...then you wont have these "problems"
Posted By: morten Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/05/02 10:28 PM
Throttle hang huh??

OK, um, I'll look into that right away!!
Posted By: Beowulf Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/05/02 10:57 PM
Originally posted by JonGordo8:
There is one cure for it....get rid of it and get a SLOW honda civic ricer...then you wont have these "problems"

Solution not acceptable. Please submit another suggestion.

Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 12:39 AM
In reply to:

I've asked a local kid who owns a Honda for his advice. But he's not familiar with this problem.

ROFLMAO
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 01:55 AM
ive found the best solution to your problem- and its a perfect way to solve your prob. Take your new CSVT and turn right at a high rate of speed for a long time, I guarentee that this will solve your problem- if you dont trust me ask a few others Ive heard it worked for them as well.
Posted By: 94ex Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 03:29 AM
Yes the hard right will help.(Help you on your way to a new engine)
Posted By: morten Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 05:13 PM
Draining the gas tank seems a bit extreme. That will just make the car hard to start won't it?

And, Beowolf, that horizontal bar between the gas pedal and the clutch pedal is actually called a brake pedal, (I did a search of old archives to find that data).

So, since no usable advice has come from this thread (except for the throttle hang thingy - still have to try that), I think I'll have to submit this question about excessive speed to Ford Service online. I'm sure they'll have an answer.

I'll keep you guys posted on what they write back.
Posted By: EO1702_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 05:28 PM
Originally posted by morten:
Throttle hang huh??

OK, um, I'll look into that right away!!

So I get grilled for trying to help, thinking that someone out there is maybe not all that mechanically inclined and perhaps somewhat inaccurately describing an actual problem.

Posted By: Pienstars Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 05:36 PM
And all along I thought this post was a joke.
Posted By: morten Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 05:38 PM
Nah, EO, not grilled. Not at all. Just havin' a little fun. The boards have been a bit slow.
Posted By: EO1702_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 06:03 PM
Yup, no worries.
Good old EO can take a little ribbing.

Always bear in mind though, that the dance steps may be illustrated for us on the shift knob, the "R" is for RACING!
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 07:03 PM
Solution: Drop your SVT off at my house, and take my Zetec home with you!
Posted By: morten Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 07:12 PM
Let's see. Calgary to Chicago, 2500 kilometres. OK, be there in a week or so.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 07:20 PM
Okee Dokie, I'll start waxing her up for ya'!
Whoo Hoo, I'm getting an SVT......Ummmmmmmm..I mean Damn, I'm getting an SVT, that sucks
Posted By: Beowulf Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 09:53 PM
If Seattle is closer for you, I will swap your SVT for a 00 SE Sport.
Posted By: morten Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 10:32 PM
Gosh. I am just astounded at the generousity and giving spirit of CEGers.

You guys are the best. Your helpful mechanical tips, like drain the gas - your offers to take this CSVT off my hands and trade for 4 cylinder tours notwithstanding the problem my car has maintaining legal speeds. I just don't know what to say.

Alas, your kindness is too much. So, to the fellow in Chigaco who made the first offer of a trade, and to the fellow in Seattle who stepped unselfishly up to the plate so as not to force me to drive so far, I say thank you, but no, no. I cannot impose on you like this.

I'll keep the CSVT. The next time I go to my local FORD dealership for an oil change with a FRAM filter and 4 litres of 20w50, I'll tell them that even though the warranty has expired, that I expect them to keep the car as long as needed, and log as many hours as it takes to fix this excesive speed problem ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Again guys. Thanks. Don't know what I'd do without contour.org.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 11:14 PM
I guess SOME Canucks DO have a sense of humor!

Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/06/02 11:55 PM
No it's alright ...really.
Impose Dammit Impose!!!
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/07/02 12:57 AM
In reply to:

No it's alright ...really.
Impose Dammit Impose!!!

LOL!!
Posted By: AnMRacing_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/07/02 03:33 AM
There is no, and should never be a cure for your problem/illness. You must learn to live with the problem as we have grasshoper. It time you will learn to accept and embrace this condition. OH and by the way. Lay off the HONDA jokes. I own one and its very fast and very reliable. At 2000 pounds and 165 wheel HP on tap it'll suprise you, unlike my SVT that took a [censored] on me after only 2 years. But thats besides the point friends
Posted By: contourd_dup1 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/07/02 08:23 PM
Perfect Cure.....

Trade me for my Zetec and you will not have that problem anymore....

Then you will have a new concern...

You Push the gas and the car does not go very fast... Hahahaha

I still love her though...
Posted By: The_Realest Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/07/02 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Beowulf:
There is no cure.

You can try that long horitontal pedal between the gas and the clutch pedals, but I hear that causes unnecessary wear on the "brake pad" and "rotor" components.

VERY UNNECESSARY wear on the brake pads and rotors.

Well it seems SVT has gone and done it. There they go putting such a fast car together. You would think they would of noticed this defect before putting the car on the streets. DAMN YOU SVT, DAMN YOUUUUU!

Honda was much better at taking care of this "too fast" defect which explains why the local boy didnt have this problem.

LMAO ... This has got to be my most favorite and the most clever post I have read yet
Posted By: Beowulf Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/07/02 09:39 PM
It brought much joy into my day as well.

Drive on!
Posted By: The_Realest Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/07/02 09:41 PM
Originally posted by EO1702:
Yup, no worries.
Good old EO can take a little ribbing.

Always bear in mind though, that the dance steps may be illustrated for us on the shift knob, the "R" is for RACING!

The "R" stands for Racing? Damn I always thought it stood for REALLY REALLY FAST!
Posted By: Beowulf Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/07/02 09:43 PM
Hmmm...last time I tried using the "R" for racing, I found out it stod for "Rebuild"
Posted By: 2112 Re: HELP - Car goes too fast. - 11/08/02 01:10 AM
TTT

Man I have the same problem with my SVT. I am also experiencing a lot of neck pain between stoplights, and it really is bad when the car mysteriously surges above 6ooo rpm. I called my local Ford dealer and they said bring it in so they could give it an extensive road test. I decided to get braided brake lines to help control the annoying speed going into turns.
© CEG Archives