Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: webdev0474 The Moose Effect - 10/17/02 12:29 PM
Ok guys and gals I have the Moosing effect in my 1999 svt and I looked throught he postings and found the parts I need to fix this bastard of a noise but there was not how-to listed on the site or in the forums that I could find. Can someone tell me a qick how to do relieve this problem and thanks in advance for the help..
Posted By: tw0wheelin_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/17/02 01:18 PM
I think the how-to is referred to as the throttle hang (TH) fix in the how-to area. Basically you pull the end of the IAC bypass hose off of the upper intake manifold (UIM) fitting. Push the prilled pipe cap into the hose, and then reconnect the hose. The pipe cap is too big to go anwhere so it's safe just sitting in the hose. The IAC bypass hose fits onto a pipe stub sticking out of the UIM back by the EGR and IAC valves.

The duratec EGR and IAC valves mounted on the UIM (ignore the A, B, & C)
Posted By: webdev0474 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/17/02 01:45 PM
Ok now I am totally confused lol
Posted By: JonGordo8 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/17/02 04:46 PM
YEah I feel your pain...I have moosing as well. But my problem is I have never worked on a car before...so I don't know where these parts are in order to fix it. I wish someone could show diagrams and stuff to help me out.
Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/17/02 05:45 PM
I wouldn't do the TH fix. FORD parts sells an updated canister that goes on that tube where everyone puts that cap in for the TH fix. I tryed the TH fix once, and it seemed to help a bit, until like a year went by, and then the car would mysteriously die on me sometimes when pushing in the clutch, coming to a stop. Then it would happen all the time. I'd rev it up, let it idle down, and it would run fine for a minute, but then when it would switch to close loop again, the computer would close the ISC motor enough to stall the engine. I maybe have another problem somewhere due to everthing getting more aged, but when I took out the TH fix cap from the tube, now it runs fine again and never dies, holds idle stable. I checked the ISC motor for carbon, and it is clean and controls the idle just as it should. But the Ford updated canister should be the correct fix for the moosing resonance problem. The canister sits right to the inside of the shock tower on the driver's side, connected to the tube that goes to the ISC motor from the intake air boot.
Posted By: tw0wheelin_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/17/02 06:19 PM
In reply to:

Ok now I am totally confused lol &
YEah I feel your pain...I have moosing as well. But my problem is I have never worked on a car before...so I don't know where these parts are in order to fix it. I wish someone could show diagrams and stuff to help me out.

Just open up the hood and look at the engine for the parts in the picture. (They're slightly to the drivers side, on top, near the firewall...) The only tool needed is a screwdriver. This is 5 minute fix... Loosen the hose clamp, pull off the hose, put the plug in, put the hose back on, tighten the clamp.

Posted By: SVT power_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/17/02 08:55 PM
I have the same problem, it only seems to do it when it's cold out side. Also if i turn the steering wheel it makes it worse(prolly cause of the strain on the engine from ps pump)What is this canister, how much $ and what is the part #?
Thanx Brian
Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/18/02 06:36 AM
Originally posted by SVT power:
I have the same problem, it only seems to do it when it's cold out side. Also if i turn the steering wheel it makes it worse(prolly cause of the strain on the engine from ps pump)What is this canister, how much $ and what is the part #?
Thanx Brian

I actually meant 'resonator', not 'canister'
Please see this link:

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/tsb/tsb.cgi?96195

It pertains to the moosing bulletin from FORD

Only thing is, I've never tried it, cause mine hasn't been acting up ever since I've learned improved driving techniques that don't invite moosing (i.e. don't push clutch in on deceleration until RPM are below point of moosing). I can still make it moose if I free rev it in nuetral to like 5000rpm, and it will do it, but I never do that in real life.

Posted By: AdrianCarrion Re: The Moose Effect - 10/18/02 06:51 PM
Hmm...mine just started doing this about a week ago. Right when it started getting cold out. It only does it at start up and until warm. My '99 SVT has just over 45,000 miles and it has NEVER done this before. I wonder what caused it to start? I thought 99+ Tours were supposed to be cured of this problem. When I'm backing out of my space upon startup it will moose just as I turn the steering wheel. After about 1 minute it won't do it unless I'm sitting at idle and I turn on the defrost/AC. If I turn on defrost it will moose and the idle will surge for about 5 seconds, will stable but moose will persist until I turn of the defrost. After about 5 minutes of driving it won't do it at all. Strange.
Posted By: amnsjl Re: The Moose Effect - 10/20/02 10:35 PM
what did you do to fix that problem? i have the same one!!!!
Posted By: loumash Re: The Moose Effect - 10/23/02 07:29 PM
Shouldnt a 99 SVT have the revised duct and resonator assembly (F6RZ-9B659-CA) on it allready?

Lou
Posted By: stunts_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/24/02 12:20 AM
I have a 99 as well that began moosing at around 40K, it was an early 99 though, #147. It just started when it was cool outside until the car was warm. I think this is a coomon thing that 'just happens'. I was under extended warranty so I had Ford fix it, and it has not done it since, 52K now. Not sure why it starts but it seems to be the conundrum called Contour. Good luck in putting the moose to bed.
Posted By: PranQster_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/24/02 01:17 AM
Originally posted by webdev0474:
Ok now I am totally confused lol

Assuming you get the needed parts (IAC valve, gasket, and new hose), the old parts can be identified by locating the larger hose which connects the rubber 'accordian' tube to the upper intake manifold. The rubber accordian tube connects between your air filter box and the throttle body and it is obvious why it is called 'accordian'. The largest of the 3 hoses which come from this tube is the hose which needs replacing... the old one is actually 2 hoses with a plastic resonator 'juice-can' looking thing. There is a tube which this hose connects to on the upper intake manifold... bolted directly next to that tube is the IAC valve which gets replaced along with gasket... I'll try to include a pic of the locations... here ya go... My valve is still original, but I put on a different hose to replace the one with the resonator:

I hope this helps... BTW, that tube where it connects by the valve is the place to insert the copper plug for throttle-hang fix, as others have described.... but that could lead to more moosing without the replacement of the IAC valve.
Also when you do this... first disconnect the (-) terminal of your battery and follow the procedure for resetting the cars' computer... I found the moose problem was kept to a minimal when doing this.
Posted By: CtrAltDel_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/24/02 04:10 AM
Thats funny I've got almost the exact situation here too. Mine is a 2000 with 40k miles and just started moosing a week ago. I had the car last winter and it was plenty cold and this never happened once.
Something has to be changing in there to cause this to start all of the sudden.

Maybe we need to pull the related parts apart on our cars and see if something needs cleaning or replacing? (of course as cold as it is outside this isn't much fun for me)
I'm planning to get the garage cleaned out more so I can get the tour in there and do some work on it, but that is probably a month away.

Anyone else have a late model duratec that just started moosing?

-CtrAltDel

Edit:
Stunts - What did Ford do to fix it?
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/24/02 01:49 PM
I installed the new hose and IAC valve after they became available (with TSB #97-22-3). Made a slight difference in noise level, and no difference in the accompanying "surge w/AC on." In order to maximize the effect, you should take your car to a dealer and ask him to make sure your PCM is "flashed" with the latest code. I did all that, and the whole thing basically made very little difference.

Which is why the original pipe cap TH Fix is recommended in the first place.
Posted By: Cueball Re: The Moose Effect - 10/24/02 02:34 PM
Originally posted by CtrAltDel:
Anyone else have a late model duratec that just started moosing?

Yep - I just started at about 55,000 miles. 2000 SVT
Posted By: SVTFanNick Re: The Moose Effect - 10/24/02 04:54 PM
Mine just started at about 26k miles (2000 SVT). I have the KKM intake if that makes a difference. Only does it when cold, stops when warms up??? Should I put the factory airbox back on and take it in? The pics don't look like they are from an SVT, is the fix the same? PPPPPlease help as this is very annoying sound and also revs drop to almost dieing when it happens.

Thanks,
-Nick
Posted By: Cueball Re: The Moose Effect - 10/24/02 05:33 PM
Originally posted by SVTFanNick:
Mine just started at about 26k miles (2000 SVT). I have the KKM intake if that makes a difference. Only does it when cold, stops when warms up??? Should I put the factory airbox back on and take it in? The pics don't look like they are from an SVT, is the fix the same? PPPPPlease help as this is very annoying sound and also revs drop to almost dieing when it happens.

Thanks,
-Nick

Since you are still under warranty, you can bring it to the dealer if you are brave enough. I'll be doing the TH fix in the FAQ this weekend to fix it.
Posted By: webdev0474 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/24/02 06:52 PM
I want to make sure that this moosing effect does not do any damage to the car beacuse I am not going to have time to change the part out beofr I take a trip[ to cedar point this weekend. Please advise!
Posted By: webdev0474 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/24/02 11:08 PM
Ok guys a new twist to this problem. I took the printed TSB from this website and went to the dealer to order my part to fix it and according to the TSB the part number to fix this problem was F6RZ-9B659-CA and the lady at the counter looked this part up and asked me what year my car was and I said it was a 99 svt contour and she said there is a different part number for that year vehicle and the number she told me was XS7Z-9B659-AA so my question is what is the flippen part number I need to fix the mooseing effect? If anyone had fixed this problem with a part from the dealer please tell me the part number you ordered. And like my earlier posting I am going to Cedar point with the car the way it is will mr moose hurt my engine on such a adventure to ohio? Thanks for your guy's help.
Posted By: eepals_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/24/02 11:57 PM
My moose is most noticeable in the summer when I turn on the A/C. I think the part number difference is because of the differences in the trottle body sizes. (54 MM Reg. Duratec,60MM,SVT). I purchased the "ANTI- MOOSE" duct work for my SE in July 2000, after reading about it in ALLDATA,
before I ever heard about CEG. The kit, #F6RZ-98659-CA,($82.87) installed at the time did quite things down. Since then I have the SVT UIM and 60 MM throttle body on my engine, the Moose is back, even with the anti moose duct work attached to the SVT accordian hose. I live with it.
Posted By: tawapaul Re: The Moose Effect - 10/25/02 02:38 AM
Fixed my 96 lx v6 moose with F6RZ-9B659-CA back in 99. Never heard the moose again. BTW, my dad's 96 lx v6, built two months prior to mine, had the correct air resonator from the factory! His also had underhood lighting and rear light access panels in the trunk, features my car lacked due to monthly cost cutting by Ford.
Posted By: PranQster_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/25/02 07:08 AM
According to Ford's TSB on moosing, it has no negative affect to the engine...
What I wonder about this problem is if it is not fully the IAC valve/hose to blame, but maybe programming in the ECM in combination with the mechanical parts??... especially since some of those who install updated parts to fix it seem to still end up with the problem. For those who still have moosing after installing the updated valve, did any or all of you also reset the ECM, or just install the parts and drive the car? I'm sure most reset the ECM when upgrading the valve, but could it be a factor?
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/25/02 12:16 PM
Originally posted by PranQster:
For those who still have moosing after installing the updated valve, did any or all of you also reset the ECM, or just install the parts and drive the car? I'm sure most reset the ECM when upgrading the valve, but could it be a factor?

I asked my dealer to make sure the PCM flash was current. Said he reflashed it. Made no difference in terms of the "surge w/AC on" portion of the moose issue. However, every case is unique, and others might have more luck.
Posted By: Cueball Re: The Moose Effect - 10/25/02 12:45 PM
Originally posted by webdev0474:
I want to make sure that this moosing effect does not do any damage to the car beacuse I am not going to have time to change the part out beofr I take a trip[ to cedar point this weekend. Please advise!

Why don't you just do the TH fix as a quick fix. By a copper pipe cap, drill a hole in it, insert in the air tube. Most people claim it works wonders.
Posted By: PranQster_dup1 Re: The Moose Effect - 10/26/02 08:39 AM
The TH fix worked wonders for my cars' throttle response and shifting, but the moose increased dramatically when I did the TH fix, but a ECM reset did tame the moose somewhat... now only hoots every few days or so... it helps to not even touch the gas pedal until the car has warmed up fully.... but the moose still shows his head when you least expect it... like when a beautiful woman walks by when you're starting your car... of course it doesn't sound good when you start it.. it goes 'whooooooaaaaooooooohhhhhooohhmmmmuuuughhh' just when you want it to growl
Tell me if I spelled whooooooaaaaooooooohhhhhooohhmmmmuuuughhh wrong.
© CEG Archives