Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: lekmedm_dup1 Zetec hesitates - 10/04/02 05:59 PM
When I lightly depress on the gas, the engine sputters or hesitates like as if it was about to stall unless I give it more gas. This happens when leaving the curbside or starting from a traffic light. It used to also happen when I would turn the steering wheel while standing. It seems worse in the morning, but can happen when the engine is hot as well. During regular driving everything is fine. Could this be something simple like the fuel filter or O2 sensors? Neither has been replaced. The car has 67k miles on the dial. This hasen't been a problem (YET!), but I'd like to fix this.

TIA

lekmedm
Posted By: Stephen_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/04/02 06:30 PM
Originally posted by lekmedm:
When I lightly depress on the gas, the engine sputters or hesitates like as if it was about to stall unless I give it more gas. This happens when leaving the curbside or starting from a traffic light. It used to also happen when I would turn the steering wheel while standing. It seems worse in the morning, but can happen when the engine is hot as well. During regular driving everything is fine. Could this be something simple like the fuel filter or O2 sensors? Neither has been replaced. The car has 67k miles on the dial. This hasen't been a problem (YET!), but I'd like to fix this.

TIA

lekmedm

Hello and welcome to the CEG,

I have a simmilar problem and I've also asked this question. My Zetec seems to sputter/hessitate when I accelerate slowly when at the lights or curb. Does not always happen, mostly when the engine is cold. The answers I was getting, was that it is a "normal" characteristic of the Zetec and not to worry about it.

Gives me one more excuse to have a heavy foot!

Stephen
Posted By: zaphod_fl Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/04/02 07:08 PM
I just fixed this problem on my Zetec (Thanks to this forum.)

Try cleaning your MAF. This can be found just after the Air Filter Cover. Unclamp it from the Air filter and use some electronics contact cleaner spray on it. After you have sprayed it to clean it, unplug fuses #4 and #11 for 2 min. to clear the PCM.

My Mystique acts like it was brand new now!

Posted By: lekmedm_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/04/02 08:02 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Stephen! I always have trouble just accepting "normal for the vehicle" explanations when in 3 years of driving I never had any such problem. These little quircks can be difficult to isolate, but in the end proper functioning is proper functioning. Thanks for replying, anyway. I appreciate the opinion.

zaphod_fl! Being a newbie I have to ask a simple (maybe silly) question. What does MAF stand for? And where is it exactly? You wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you? Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any more ideas?

lekmedm
Posted By: Stephen_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/04/02 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Stephen! I always have trouble just accepting "normal for the vehicle" explanations when in 3 years of driving I never had any such problem. These little quircks can be difficult to isolate, but in the end proper functioning is proper functioning. Thanks for replying, anyway. I appreciate the opinion.

lekmedm

Perhaps what your experiencing is worse than me.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I've owned my tour for almost a year and it has always done it. I've gotten used to the slight hessitation when I accelerate slowly from the lights. I don't think of it as a problem, just a quirk.

Stephen
Posted By: Stephen_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/04/02 09:25 PM
Originally posted by zaphod_fl:
I just fixed this problem on my Zetec (Thanks to this forum.)

Try cleaning your MAF. This can be found just after the Air Filter Cover. Unclamp it from the Air filter and use some electronics contact cleaner spray on it. After you have sprayed it to clean it, unplug fuses #4 and #11 for 2 min. to clear the PCM.

My Mystique acts like it was brand new now!

Good news for you but I tried that. I did find an improvment in the way the engine performs but I still have the hessitation.

Stephen
Posted By: zaphod_fl Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/05/02 02:19 AM
Thanks for the replies!

zaphod_fl! Being a newbie I have to ask a simple (maybe silly) question. What does MAF stand for? And where is it exactly? You wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you? Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any more ideas?

lekmedm

Sorry. It took me asking the question too...

MAF == Mass Air Flow sensor. It is right after the air filter box before the resonator. I can't post pictures (tried once, didn't work)

Posted By: zaphod_fl Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/05/02 02:22 AM
I also cleaned the connector to the MAF and immediatly reset the PCM by pulling fuses 4 & 11. Sorry you are still getting the hesitation.

I am getting the 'Mod' bug bad... Looking for an SVT exhaust.
Posted By: lekmedm_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/05/02 03:08 PM
hmmm... Mass Air Flow Sensor... I'll take a look, but I get the feeling I'm going to have to peek in a manual to be sure of what I'm looking for.

Can anyone else help?

Thanks zaphod.

lekmedm
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/05/02 04:40 PM
Its right after the airbox, it looks like a black square. There is a black connector on the top with a few wires coming out of it.
Remove the airbox. The tube you look through going to the throttle body has a silver piece going throught the middle of it. Thats the MAF.
Posted By: keith2282 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/06/02 12:48 AM
When i did the MAF cleaning to my engine, i still had the hesitation. I reset my computer, and still have it. However, after about one day of driving it.. it went away, i think that you just have to wait until your pcm (computer) re-teaches itself. Just drive it for a couple of days maybe the hesitation will go away.
Posted By: Bounty Hunter_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/06/02 03:36 AM
I have a 96 ZETEC and I have the same problems with you guys. Some days its not bad, but other days, its soooooo bad. We need to isolate this problem
Posted By: Stephen_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/06/02 10:49 PM
Originally posted by 96CONTOUR_DM:
I have a 96 ZETEC and I have the same problems with you guys. Some days its not bad, but other days, its soooooo bad. We need to isolate this problem

Please, could someone PM me if this problem is fixed.

Thanks,

Stephen
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/07/02 05:00 AM
fix=cold air intake,etc.
Posted By: sosaudio1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/07/02 05:35 AM
Cold Air Intake I like that idea......

Heeheee

Mine is starting to act up too guys....think I am gonna gut that cat! Or stick a highflow on it....hmmmmmm Kremit, think I am a gonna get into the moddin again!

May do the MAF fix like you guys prescribed but, hey, almost sounds like preventative maintenance for me!

L8R
Rich
Posted By: Stephen_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/07/02 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
fix=cold air intake,etc.

Too bad where I live 8 months out of the year are cold winter months!

I know that the cold air intake is a good idea, I just don't want to be doing too many mods to the Zetec. After all, it is my family car too.

Stephen
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/07/02 11:58 AM
CAI and a little exhaust work isn't too much. i don't u'd regret it,, and family perspective u have more passing power, so less chance of getting hit..or something like that.
Posted By: sosaudio1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/08/02 03:11 AM
Guess what kids???? Remember where I said that mine was "starting" to hesitate? Got some work ahead of me.....Gonna have to tech the intake. Here are the symptoms;

When cold, car is running low in RPM and when I "try" to accelerate, it bogs and doesn't get above 5 grand....

I noticed the problem like I said yesterday, BUT it was warm and driveable. Today.....not so good.

I am going for the intake first because of a couple reasons.

Mainly, when building the CAI first, I used a ABS elbow that I had hacked, shaved, cut, and pretty much mutillated to get to fit under the hood. On the first test out on the road, the elbow came completely off of the TB and it really went sour. Car did its best to try to get over 3 grand...if it was lucky enough to stay running....SO.....I will be trying several things.....BUT AGAIN.....it almost is behaving like a CAT clog...ummm but I saw where it is "illegal" to remove or replace a cat on a car under 50k.....which mine is.....oh well...can we say, bypass and MIL till I get the cash???

Other reason, I have taken the intake apart, off, moved, turned....soo much....I pretty much could test this within like 10 minutes...

So....Electrical contact spray huh???

Ross I know you will be real interested in how this turns out so I will be sure to update on this post!

L8R
Rich
Posted By: sosaudio1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/08/02 10:38 PM
Ok the verdict....

All....most of the original equipment is back on the car! Still having problems....so no, it is NOT the intake. Did throw a CEL when I was adjusting things, figure that may have been a cranky MAF because I changed the orientation without removing the battery cables....yes....give me a good flogging.....I know better....I did remove it when reinstalling the other stuff and then test drove it and the CEL went away.

Taking it to the shop tomorrow for another reason..............

TIMING BELT IS FEREEAKING DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two large groves in the belt side by side, can't WAIT to see what did that, glazed, and not tight....yes smacking the top of the belt cover....being quoted lowest $235 to have the belt done. I can do it...I have done it before....do I want to do it again????? The answer comes in 2 seconds HELL NO! I had enough blood lost when I did the 2.3 Mustang...and it was rear wheel drive. This is front and there is noooooo roooom....I am SUPPOSED TO BE on vacation....what in the world! So now I will give the details of the visit with you guys tomorrow. The hesitation....probably originating from a bad sensor..or a bad cat.

Someone said that the Zetecs have two cats???? Precats in Zetecs??? If this is true, Kamikaze header will be ordered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L8R
Rich
Posted By: zaphod_fl Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/08/02 11:52 PM
Okay, I was thinking of a Timing Belt, now I'm not sure... How bad is it????

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/09/02 05:57 AM
i am almost 100% sure that zetec just have one cat, you must have some sorta cat to be legal(it doesn't get checked where i live though), so if it's bad it's ok to replace it, you can replace it with a hi-flow cat (less than $100) but that means you must relocate cat under the engine and make sure you have a flex pipe. If you wanna replace it and it's still good, just beat the crap outta it with a hammer. I used a rubber elbow on the intake,, maybe you should switch once you get all your problems fixed. I only plan to have my intake until about april of next year, so hopefully problems won't happen with it before then.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/09/02 06:17 AM
In reply to:

i am almost 100% sure that zetec just have one cat

You are correct. Right after the exhaust manifold. Terrible place if you ask me...
Posted By: lekmedm_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/10/02 04:58 PM
Well, just to update you folks, I was getting all set to dig into that MAF when for the past week or so the problem stopped! In fact, I was actually adding a bit of coolant to the reservoir and checking fluids in general that day, and the next day the hesitation was gone. I can't imagine there being any connection. The weater here has cooled off in the same time, so maybe that has helped.

If anyone has any other thoughts on the hesitation thing, please post. Thanks to those who have already contributed.

Peace.

lekmedm
Posted By: sosaudio1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/11/02 05:45 AM
Too Kool! Still don't have my car back yet! I am just slightly upset! Just...slightly....wait, must not knock down another tree.....must restrain....

Any way, after some issues about the "low miles" on the car (guys he didn't even start cause he saw the new speedo with 24000 mi on it and freaked), fighting with NAPA to get my waterpump with a metal impeller...being overcharged (and I am still not sure they got it right....restraining), and having to furnish the parts for him, we are set for day 2!

OK so hey, the guy is supposed to do quality work! So I will cut him much slack! There are VERY VERY VERY few people I let touch my car in this world and he came highly recommended! So to that end, I will focus my energy on NAPA tomorrow, get the parts to the guy so that he can fix the car and THEN we shall see. If all is well, the intake will be put back on I DON'T FREAKIN CARE IF IT IS 11pm AT NITE AND RAINING...and I will drive it to test it..hehe

L8R
Rich
Posted By: zaphod_fl Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/11/02 06:34 PM
Hmmm...

I thought the Zetech has a metal impellar. I guess I should do the water pump with the timing belt...

Posted By: irishkrest_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/11/02 10:17 PM
Hi Guys - Please post message me as well if the hesitation problem is isolated...i've been having the same trouble for almost 4 months now.

-Travis
Posted By: starsky_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/12/02 05:43 AM
I hope all of you are using gas cleaner at least once a month ? I use 1 bottle to a half a tank of gas every 3 weeks . At 116,000 miles , I have to say it is working and with ORIGINAL spark-plugs !!! I use wallmart super tech gas cleaner that is in a white bottle . Also use GAS DRYER once a month in the winter . LONG live the zetec !!! I will take a zetec over a 2.5 anyday.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/13/02 03:27 AM
original plugs!?!?!? change them and you'll be even happier, get autolite double plats.
Posted By: contourd_dup1 Re: Zetec hesitates - 10/16/02 05:57 PM
Sounds like a fuel filter or Pump to me... When you accelerate it sux more gas through the Filter If it is clogged it would do the same kind of action.. I know it is late but just wanted to help you out...
© CEG Archives