Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: trob_dup1 Rear wheel bearings - 08/21/02 02:43 AM
I am just full of problems! 99 Contour, 46K miles, rear drum brakes. The right rear wheel bearing sounds like it needs attention, soon. Lacking a service manual I don't know what's involved in replacing it. Will I need a bearing puller after I take off the brake drum? Thanks again.
Posted By: Bluedevils_dup1 Re: Rear wheel bearings - 08/21/02 02:46 AM
What does the right rear bearing sound like? I think I may have trouble with the front left bearing on my Contour.
Posted By: trob_dup1 Re: Rear wheel bearings - 08/21/02 02:50 AM
Sitting in the right rear seat (not driving) there is a rough mechanical sound which varies in ampilitude when there is uneven pavement. I haven't yet tried swerving left & right to see if the noise changes - something particularly true for front wheel bearings.
Posted By: bentleywarren_dup1 Re: Rear wheel bearings - 08/22/02 03:54 AM
A tire that's out-of-round, or has a flat spot on it, can make an ungodly sound on the rear. You may want to check the tire for uneven wear before you go further. My 95 Contour became a whole different critter when I switched from a square tire to a round one.
Posted By: tw0wheelin_dup1 Re: Rear wheel bearings - 08/22/02 01:12 PM
The rear hub & bearing are pre-assembled and get replaced as a single unit. They are about $40 at Advance auto. You'll need a large axle nut socket (32mm?) but can probably skip a puller. I got a loaner puller, but the hub/bearing slipped off pretty easily once the nut was removed. Rears are pretty easy. I have rear disk, but I think the job is about same once you pull the drum.
© CEG Archives