Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ptrlib_2_dup1 My car is uneven - 08/20/02 05:36 AM
Okay I've got a problem now. I when I say my car pull up it looked unbalanced, and at first I thought my parents had brought something heavy home, but after the car was emptied I measured the distance from the top of the wheel well to the ground on both sides and there was almost an inch difference the right side was 27 inches and the left was just over 26.
What could be causing this? Is it like that normally to offset the weight of the driver? Or is there something wrong with my car. I'd guess this is the first thing to do would be an alaignment but I thought it would be best to check here first. I also found that the left spring was compressed more than the right one.
Oh, yeah and it was on level ground so
TIA

Peter
Posted By: GeoPappas Re: My car is uneven - 08/20/02 12:08 PM
I would push up and down on both sides (front and back) and then measure it a few times to make sure that it isn't a fluke.
Posted By: BBorges_dup1 Re: My car is uneven - 08/20/02 12:38 PM
Hey.. I had a Dodge Daytona that was like that !!

But the thing is... the car was in an accident and they had to redo part of the frame... I don't think that is your situation...

(did you buy the car used ?? )

Posted By: joerg.walzenbach Re: My car is uneven - 08/20/02 03:03 PM
This may be totally off, but...

Have you checked for broken springs? I recall there were threads on that topic some time ago, before the new software.

Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: My car is uneven - 08/20/02 03:23 PM
Mine is to, but I've lowered it with Eibach's + Koni's, and I'm starting to think the Eibach's have been shot to hell, so I'm putting the stocks back on this week or next, and sending the Eibach's back. I'm sure it's the springs dude, it has to be, at least that's what I'm telling myself. I'be got a .5in difference. First thing you should do before you waste money and time swapping coil springs is get an alignment, slight negative camber on the right wheel (or left) can cause the car to be slightly lower on that side(I did the same check, I have -2.7 on the left, and -2.8 degrees on the right, the side that was lower). BTW, this is NOT normal and don't let any shop convince you of that, because the people that isntalled my springs were adamant that this is the case on all cars, .5inch-1 inch differences.

Suneil
Posted By: contourd_dup1 Re: My car is uneven - 08/20/02 06:16 PM
There must be something wrong?? do you have lowered springs on it??
Posted By: ptrlib_2_dup1 Re: My car is uneven - 08/21/02 05:18 AM
Well, the car has never been in an accident (we're the original owners), and the the suspension is all stock, minus the aussie bar. I guess I'll get it checked at a trustworth mechanic, as I haven't the experience to inspect the suspension properly. Thanks for all the help.
Peter
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: My car is uneven - 08/21/02 04:58 PM
Did you check the TIRE PRESSURE ?

It is normal for some variance in height.
I would accept an inch.

3 - 4 inches is a problem.

Posted By: ptrlib_dup1 Re: My car is uneven - 08/21/02 07:47 PM
Yeah tire pressue was the first thing I checked, and even if it was off it wouldn't explain why one spring was compressed more than the other.
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: My car is uneven - 08/21/02 09:33 PM
One Inch is not a lot of variance.
If you want to, look at it this way...

First the floor is NOT perfectly flat.

Second, if you compare right to left,
you could say that one side is 1/2 inch higher than it is supposed to be,
while the opposite side is 1/2 inch lower than it is supposed to be.

Don't dwell on it.

If the steering is straight, and the car rides fine, leave it alone...

© CEG Archives