Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tony25 Stalled now wont start back up - 08/31/06 02:52 PM
Ok i noticed that my car would want to cut out at red lights ect but if i put it in nutral and give a little gas it would return to normal. But last night i was driving home and it started to idle funny when i came up to a red light now it wont start at all it acts like it wants to but just doesent. Also i notice that the heat when i out it on there is no air that comes out of the vents now. Could it be the ignition coil?Besides wanting to cut out it ran great at higher speeds or when i wasent coming to a stop.
Posted By: Tony25 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 08/31/06 03:08 PM
Forgot to mention its a 98 Contour SE.
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 08/31/06 04:27 PM
Welcome to CEG The first thing to do is scan for codes. If you can get to the auto parts store, you could pick up an OBD2 scanner. The stalling could be the coil, crank sensor, a bad battery, fuel pump, etc. Is your engine a Duratec 2.5 or a Zetec 4Cyl?
Posted By: Tony25 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 08/31/06 06:03 PM
Its a zetec 4cyl. Its in a neiborhood about 10 miles from me. No check engine light came on at all.
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 08/31/06 11:41 PM
It could be the timing belt slipped, as well. You should tow it home...
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 09/01/06 12:32 AM
Welcome . How old and how many miles on the battery and alternator?
Posted By: Tony25 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 09/03/06 08:29 PM
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
It could be the timing belt slipped, as well. You should tow it home...

I think thats what happened the altinator is new the battery new i just put on a new serpintine belt tensenger and water pump as well recently. The timing belt is new also ( 1 year ) but the bottom right hand pully is realy loose whats the name of this pully? When i try to start the car the belt is realy loose due to this broken pully. Anyone know the name of this pully? If im looking from the passenger side its the bottom right pully.

Thanks everyone for your replys,

Tony
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 09/04/06 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Tony25:
... but the bottom right hand pully is realy loose whats the name of this pully? When i try to start the car the belt is realy loose due to this broken pully. Anyone know the name of this pully? If im looking from the passenger side its the bottom right pully.

A/C compressor pulley. Your A/C probably isn't working too well too. If you don't want to mess with the A/C, just get the non A/C belt and you should be good to go.

Figure 11 in Autozone
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 09/04/06 02:15 AM
Make sure the belt is really on there correctly, the Autozone link is good information .
Posted By: Tony25 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 09/04/06 02:34 AM
Oh no i mean the timing belt. The bottom right hand pully on the timing belt is loose. Its just falling apart. So when i try to start the car the belt is sliping. Its a pretty new belt though that was replaced last year. Just seems like this pully failed.
Posted By: Tony25 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 09/04/06 02:46 AM
Also should it be too hard of a job for me to do myself?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 09/04/06 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Tony25:
Oh no i mean the timing belt. The bottom right hand pully on the timing belt is loose. Its just falling apart. So when i try to start the car the belt is sliping. Its a pretty new belt though that was replaced last year. Just seems like this pully failed.

Do you mean the crankshaft pulley to turn the serpentine belt? This crankshaft pulley is connected by the crankshaft sprocket (bottom right pulley) for the timing belt.

Autozone Figure 6

and Figure 15

And to confirm Figure 2.

Posted By: Tony25 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 09/04/06 04:17 AM
Nope its def the timing belt. I took the cover off and noticed the bottom right pully was loose. And the belt has alot of play in it. Jumps up and down when i try to start it because of the bottom right hand pully. Ive never done a timing belt but i just replaced the serpintine belt not long ago. And the waterpump/altinator/tensenger (sp) and pully. Is it hard to diy? I mean getting the timing right?
Posted By: Tony25 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 09/05/06 02:44 AM
Also if its not something i should be able to handle myself. Does anyone know anyone in the Maryland area that can do this at a good price? Im in baltimore. Also should i just replace all the pullys as well so this doesent happen again?
Thanks,
Tony
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Stalled now wont start back up - 09/05/06 02:48 AM
Click on 69Boss302's name and send him a PM.

He owns a windshield repair business and IIRC has done a timing belt before. He may be able to give you a good price on it.
© CEG Archives