Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: OFace12 Broken Half Shaft??? - 08/23/06 04:13 PM
It first started when I was taking off one time and I started to wheel hop, so I let off immediately. However, when I turned the wheel I heard a sound like a pop coming from the front end. I didnt hear anything for another day or two until I tried to take off fast to get out of an intersection and I heard the pop again. I have read that the wheel hop can lead to breaking my half shafts, could it be this, or is there anything else you think it could be? Let me know what everyone thinks please. Thank you in advance.
Posted By: icysvt Re: Broken Half Shaft??? - 08/23/06 11:32 PM
don't quote me on this but motor mounts? Have you checked them out?
Posted By: OFace12 Re: Broken Half Shaft??? - 08/23/06 11:44 PM
Just had them replaced when I replaced my clutch, not even 5k ago.
Posted By: OFace12 Update - 08/24/06 02:09 PM
I was taking off from a light again last night and it did it again. The only time that it happens is when the tires are close to breaking loose, but if I drive like I'm drivin miss daisy, nothing happens. PLEASE HELP!
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Wobbly wheels?. - 08/24/06 03:07 PM
It could be a bad bearing, ball joint, tie rod, cv joint or tranny. You need to jack up the car and check.

Do the o'clock tests for the bearing and ball joint/tierod. Then push in and out on the CV joint to see if it is loose/wobbly.
Wheel issue
Posted By: OFace12 Re: Wobbly wheels?. - 08/24/06 03:56 PM
I'll take a look at it. But if it were any of those, wouldn't I hear something all the time, not just when I try to take off kinda fast?

Thanks for the answer.
Posted By: tsSVT Re: Wobbly wheels?. - 08/24/06 06:36 PM
Look at the upper tranny mount(the one below the intake).I had this exact same problem.If it's broken you'll be able to see very easily.Hopefully that's not it since that mount was around $100 dealer cost.
Posted By: hotpaco81 Re: Broken Half Shaft??? - 08/31/06 03:11 AM
i'm not sure if you fixed your problem, but i was having a similar noise issue (although i haven't "really" heard yours lol).... some thought it was my tranny, some thought my wheel bearing, but it ended up to by my lower control arm... noise gone and problem solved.... good luck
© CEG Archives