Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 8000RPM differential question?? - 08/20/06 11:55 PM
ok, so i asked in the dyno and drag but didn't get an answer.
I went to the track and i think i broke my tranny. what are the sympthons of a broken differential? what else could go wrong after a bad wheel hop?
here are my symptons...
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and rear gears do not work. When i put the car in gear and let the clutch go, nothing happens, the car stays at idle. rpm's are constant at 800 rpm...if i put the car in gear, i can push it forward and backword, as if it is in neutral. in other words, all gears are equivalent to neutral...why? what happend? i had to tow my car from the race track and i don't know what to expect out of the whole thing. any help is appreciated. thanks.
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: differential question?? - 08/21/06 12:15 AM
If you blew your diff chances are you would see tranny fluid everywhere. Usually when those things go they blow chunks out of the tranny case around the diff.

Can you hear it actually going into gear when you shift? You may have snapped one of your shift cables as well. Or it's possible that you blew both of your half shafts, but thats highly unlikely. Or you just analiated your clutch so it just slips all the time.
Posted By: 8000RPM Re: differential question?? - 08/21/06 01:06 AM
gears go in as usual. clutch feels as usual. there's no transmisson fluid leaking. that night, i grabed both of my axels and they were not loose. it was dark and i didn't notice any leaks. i saw the car yesterday, during the day, didn't notice any leaks either. i had my tranny changed with a rebuilt one 40k miles ago, and then they changed my clutch (at least that's what i paid for). i usually don't abuse the car, so the clutch should be good if it was changed. everything on the engine seems to be perfect...could it be the flywheel? these cables...are they expensive? hard to change??? what else??? thank you for your help.
Posted By: 8000RPM Re: differential question?? - 08/21/06 01:08 AM
ok, and if the clutch is slipping that much, or if it is completey broke, would gears go in??? would i be able to put in first gear for example??
Posted By: RawBurt Re: differential question?? - 08/21/06 02:24 AM
Two questions;

1. When car is running, can you put it into gear without the clutch?

2. When in gear, rev it up. Look at the speedo, what do you see? Does the needle climb or no?
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: differential question?? - 08/21/06 02:31 AM
Yes, it would go into gear, just the engine power is not turning the trans (if the clutch was wiped out). It could be you broke the differential, just not explosively. Try jacking one front wheel up and rotate it while in First, engine off. It should not spin, then try the other. Then jack up both front wheels, in neutral, turn one wheel, the other will spin opposite if it is a standard differential. If you race, you will want one of those Torsen differentials from Ford racing.
Posted By: 8000RPM Re: differential question?? - 08/21/06 03:35 AM
the rpm needle climbs as if the car is in neutral. however, i have NOT tried putting the car in gear without pressing the clutch. the thing is that the car was towed to a place 40miles away, and i cant try that at this moment.
the idea with jacking up the car is good, i will also try that and let you all know...in the mid time, anything else?
Posted By: 8000RPM Re: differential question?? - 08/22/06 12:10 AM
ok, i just came to see the car. here's what it does.
-engine starts as normal.
-clutch feels like normal.
-gears go in normal when pressing the clutch with engine on
-gears go in WITHOUT pressing the clutch whern engine is ON
-when in gear and with engine on, and i rev it up a little, rpm needle goes up, but so does the speedo needle
-when i lift the front left tire only in the air, and the car is in gear, i can rotate it freely (it is not locked like it should be)
-when i put the car in third i hear some hard clicking sound and at one time the rpm needle went down as if the car would stall (but did it just once for fraction of a second)
-when the car is in first gear with engine on and clutch is not pressed, the car stays at one plays, at idle and a clicking sound is coming from the left axle/tranny area...
what the hell happend to that car? one dude checked it and said i needed a new tranny. true or not? or what?
Posted By: 8000RPM Re: differential question?? - 08/22/06 02:12 AM
i also jacked the pass tire only. it also spins when car is in gear. i jacked both tires up, and when i rotate one of them, the other does not move and vise versa...
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: differential question?? - 08/22/06 02:33 AM
I would say your differential is broken . It is possible you "just" broke an axle. Try looking at this Differential how-to to see what's inside your trans. Try searching the Transaxle forum for Differential, Axles, Torsen, that should get you some topics.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: differential question?? - 08/22/06 02:52 AM
Its your diff for sure, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Those are the EXACT same things that happened to me.

Sorry...
Posted By: 8000RPM Re: differential question?? - 08/22/06 03:09 AM
yeah, that's bad. so what did you do? did you get a new tranny? how much was it? did you change it yourself? was it hard? or would it be better to get a limited slip differential and open my tranny and change just the differential? or should i get the stock differential? i don't even know what i am talking about...

or at BAT there is a tranny that has a longer 5th gear...is that any better? if so, how? coz it is more expensive than what i see on ebay.. ohh yeah, and would bill jenkins or someone else be able to proved me witha deal on a tranny?
Posted By: RawBurt Re: differential question?? - 08/22/06 03:15 AM
Originally posted by 8000RPM:
so what did you do?

Do the only thing that is right, send it to Terry. If you plan on driving it hard (drag racing and what not) then that is the only way to go.

did you get a new tranny?

Nope, I didn't need one. But it was completely rebuilt with tougher parts by TH.

how much was it?

I think with all the parts and labor from terry it was around $1500

did you change it yourself?

Nope, I didn't have the knowledge, tools, or time to do it.

was it hard?

From what I saw when Stazi was working on it, it didn't look very fun.

or would it be better to get a limited slip differential and open my tranny and change just the differential?

Like I said, if you plan on somewhat beating on it... LSD is the only way to go. Its been said that stock diffs are like glass. And apparently you just found that out.

or should i get the stock differential?

No, you'll regret it.

Hope I've helped, shoot me a PM if you need anything else.
Posted By: 8000RPM Re: differential question?? - 08/22/06 03:28 AM
i will pm you later. i need to talk to my guy and see some prices tomorrow. where is Terry? how do i send it to him? and what's TH? So Stazi took yours off, then you sent it to Terry, he rebuild it with stronger parts, you got it back, and Stazi installed it, and all that for $1500? I used to work in a Ford Dealership, so I my car is there now. most likely that's where i will be changing the tranny with my friends, however i will not have the luxury of keeping my car on a lift for more than a day, so i must have all the parts i need in advance and work fast. so i guess, sending it to Terry is not an option...i just don't know if it is a good idea for us to open the tranny and try to change the differential, or just get a used/rebuilt tranny from ebay or a junkyeard and just swap the two, whithout abusing it anymore.
so what parts did you put in yours, because only the limited slip diff is like $700-900 itself. how much was labor? sorry for the many question, but you've been helpfull.
© CEG Archives